July 2021 PNW Weather Discussion

20 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Hard to believe we are heading into yet another 3-4 day run of heat after today. That escalated quickly.

Some dwindling rainfall chances at the end of that tunnel, but wouldn’t surprise me to lose that entirely at some point in the next 48-72 hours.

PDX will end July with one day of 95+ degree heat with none in sight at the moment. Horrific.

• Snow 1
  • Weenie 2

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

16 minutes ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

Already planning on setting some time aside tomorrow to write up a post on all the record warm July's the region saw. 

Looks like EUG ended up with 18 90+ highs this month. SLE 16, one less than 2018. 

But the Sunday curse.

PDX got only 6 days 90+, but 14 days with highs between 86 and 89. No highs below 75. Just a super consistent warmer than average month.

7 minutes ago, Deweydog said:

PDX will end July with one day of 95+ degree heat with none in sight at the moment. Horrific.

Following our driest spring on record. Our warmest June on record. Our hottest heat wave/temps on record and now rounding out our 3rd or 4th warmest July on record. It has indeed been pretty horrific, especially for someone who works outdoors and sees the affects on our landscape firsthand every day. I'm sorry that opinion bothers you so much but 🤷‍♂️

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Joshua Lake Oswego said:

PDX will end July with 26 days above average and 5 below. Blissful. 

Some here expect that everyone have a completely zen attitude with regard to any and all weather patterns, unless of course it’s cooler and wetter than average for a few days + in which case it’s totally acceptable to completely freak the f*ck out.

• Like 1
  • Angry 1
  • Sun 1
  • Weenie 1

6 minutes ago, Deweydog said:

It’s been a solidly warm month. Exceptional, even. But it’s been far from oppressive.

I said nothing about oppressiveness. Just being astounded at the continued warmth and skeptical of rainfall chances that are being continuously pushed back at the back end of it. I know that doesn’t fit the all important this is actually perfect summer weather just learn to love it narrative, which of course immediately puts me in the line of fire.

Hot Dog Hello GIF

• Like 2
  • Angry 1
  • Sun 1
  • Weenie 1

11 minutes ago, Omegaraptor said:

But the Sunday curse.

PDX got only 6 days 90+, but 14 days with highs between 86 and 89. No highs below 75. Just a super consistent warmer than average month.

Today’s HCS meant 2021 couldn’t quite move into 2nd place on its own when it comes to 85+ days behind 1985’s amazing 25.  It’ll sit tied with 2009 and 2018 with 20.

10 minutes ago, Jesse said:

I said nothing about oppressiveness. Just being astounded at the continued warmth and skeptical of rainfall chances that are being continuously pushed back at the back end of it. I know that doesn’t fit the all important this is actually perfect summer weather just learn to love it narrative, which of course immediately puts me in the line of fire.

Hot Dog Hello GIF

Point is, it could have been a lot worse. We’ve seen worse lately and a good part of this month had some nice diurnal cycles with decent onshore flow.

And putting aside the more acceptable persistence pessimism, the setup later next week is still pretty promising, especially with the unusual rex block helping things out. Mid summer climo doesn’t help, but might as well be positive!

• Like 1
  • Excited 1

Another thunderstorm approaching. Some deep rumbling. It's kind of frequent too.

• Like 3
  • Storm 1

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 16
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 3/30, 3/31, 4/2, 4/3, 4/8, 

Severe storms: 2

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

8 minutes ago, Acer said:

74 for a high and cloudy all day with no precip.  Still muggy but quite nice for a change.  Ended July with .03" of precip,  I think we've seen the worst of our summer and we will now start coasting into autumn.

That’d be interesting but I doubt it. Lots of time left this summer. 

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Yeah maybe one more 100 degree high but the worst is over. 

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"

6 minutes ago, Acer said:

You don't think we've seen the worst of summer?  Worst being heat.

Oh definitely but I wouldn’t be surprised to see some more mid to upper 80s sometime in august. Definitely no more June stuff. 

• scream 1

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

1 hour ago, Jesse said:

Following our driest spring on record. Our warmest June on record. Our hottest heat wave/temps on record and now rounding out our 3rd or 4th warmest July on record. It has indeed been pretty horrific, especially for someone who works outdoors and sees the affects on our landscape firsthand every day. I'm sorry that opinion bothers you so much but 🤷‍♂️

Yes, if you remove any and all context whatsoever then it was merely a super warm and drier than average July from Portland north. Cause for celebrating I guess. With our all time event at the end of the month being countered by zero meaningful pattern changes or troughs in the weeks following (a fact surprising me a little even).

And it was a complete and utterly historic inferno elsewhere of course. 

• Excited 1

1 hour ago, Deweydog said:

It’s been a solidly warm month. Exceptional, even. But it’s been far from oppressive.

Yeah.... you're simply concocting a straw man here. 

No one here locally is saying it's been oppressively hot this month. We don't live in Yuma or Houston (yet). We don't expect something like 31 days of 90+ here in July, and don't use that as any sort of realistic standard or measuring stick.

Pointing out the reality of the current and ongoing situation isn't some hyperbolic way of making it sound like unsurvivable hellfire. 

1 hour ago, Deweydog said:

Point is, it could have been a lot worse. We’ve seen worse lately and a good part of this month had some nice diurnal cycles with decent onshore flow.

And putting aside the more acceptable persistence pessimism, the setup later next week is still pretty promising, especially with the unusual rex block helping things out. Mid summer climo doesn’t help, but might as well be positive!

Eh, the June 20 to present period has by far been the warmest on record for our area. Over a degree above 2015 at PDX.  With literally zero rainfall.

Realistically, it couldn't be a lot worse than that. Again, context matters.

There was a brief downpour, petrichor and a nice looking sunset. Overall I haven't had anything video worthy this year, in less than one week I'd have gone a full year since I had a really good storm event. Make 2021 count!

IMG_2522.JPG

IMG_2526.JPG

IMG_2529.JPG

• Storm 1

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"

16 minutes ago, Timmy_Supercell said:

There was a brief downpour, petrichor and a nice looking sunset. Overall I haven't had anything video worthy this year, in less than one week I'd have gone a full year since I had a really good storm event. Make 2021 count!

IMG_2522.JPG

IMG_2526.JPG

IMG_2529.JPG

You could have just said it smells nice outside 🤣!

• lol 1

56 minutes ago, BLI snowman said:

Eh, the June 20 to present period has by far been the warmest on record for our area. Over a degree above 2015 at PDX.  With literally zero rainfall.

Hey, you aren’t putting sunshine 🌞 in a very good light here!! (haha) Not cool! (lol)

51 minutes ago, BLI snowman said:

That’s not a fair statement either. That anomalous June heatwave really throws that number off.  This has not been 2015 in terms of heat.  But in terms of dryness this has been the driest I have ever experienced up here.  The vegetation has never looked as parched that I remember in the 38 years I have lived here.  

• Like 1
  • Weenie 2

1 minute ago, jcmcgaffey said:

That’s not a fair statement either. That anomalous June heatwave really throws that number off.  This has not been 2015 in terms of heat.  But in terms of dryness this has been the driest I have ever experienced up here.  The vegetation has never looked as parched that I remember in the 38 years I have lived here.  

Dude, take a step outside of the two miles bordering the Puget sound. The sustained heat has by and large put 2015 to shame for the rest of the region.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, jcmcgaffey said:

Don't know what to tell you, the anomalous June heat happened and is absolutely fair to include when assessing for context.

And I'm not going to revisit the tired 2015 debate again but it's certainly fair to say that it's been remaining very persistently warm to hot across the bulk of the PNW. The late June event isn't some one-off in a sea of dramatically different weather patterns. 

And yes, the dryness has reached pretty epic proportions. PDX is going to finish the March 1 to July 31 period with 3.77" of rain.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Dude, take a step outside of the two miles bordering the Puget sound. The sustained heat has by and large put 2015 to shame for the rest of the region.

That is a legitimate point. Further south has been worse and my statement was assuming this area.  The discussion was in regards to further south.  TBH I didn’t  realized that the heat has been that bad down there.   

2 minutes ago, BLI snowman said:

Don't know what to tell you, the anomalous June heat happened and is absolutely fair to include when assessing for context.

And I'm not going to revisit the tired 2015 debate again but it's certainly fair to say that it's been remaining very persistently warm to hot across the bulk of the PNW. The late June event isn't some one-off in a sea of dramatically different weather patterns. 

And yes, the dryness has reached pretty epic proportions. PDX is going to finish the March 1 to July 31 period with 3.77" of rain.

Ya I just responded to Jesse. I wasn’t really paying attention to the region you guys are in and talking about and just chimed in.  The general summer heat up here has not been as bad as 2015.  2015 was miserable for what felt like forever. This year was a miserable spike in June and since then has been pretty standard fair for summer around here.  But I realize further south has been much worse. 

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

2 hours ago, Jesse said:

Some here expect that everyone have a completely zen attitude with regard to any and all weather patterns, unless of course it’s cooler and wetter than average for a few days + in which case it’s totally acceptable to completely freak the f*ck out.

We pretty much talk about what is happening.  Sometimes its rainy.   

You love to build strawmen every day... but its soooooo tedious and stupid.   We can't change the weather.     It's probably best to have a zen attitude about all of it.    

• Like 3
  • Weenie 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

This is completely non-scientific but I think we are in the same drought period that has moved across the us from southeast to west over the past 10-15 years.  I do think what is happening across the west will pass in the next 2-3 years and I think this year is the peak of it and will slowly come back to a slightly warmer/wetter than average normality. 

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1