Jump to content
The Weather Forums

July 2021 PNW Weather Discussion


Recommended Posts

17 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

It's sunny right now... and 69 here.    It's been partly sunny since about 12:30.    Very few solid marine later days this summer where it stays cloudy all day.

Look, I posted what I’m observing down in North Bend from my office (persistent clouds) and what my weather station said at home (65°F). I just stepped outside and can see the dividing line of cloudy and clear skies to the east. I live up against Rattlesnake so if I don’t get morning sun my weather station often runs a bit cooler. I know you’re obsessed with making it appear as sunny and warm as possible in North Bend, but do you have to critique or clarify every post I make? 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, 1000'NorthBend said:

Look, I posted what I’m observing down in North Bend from my office (persistent clouds) and what my weather station said at home (65°F). I just stepped outside and can see the dividing line of cloudy and clear skies to the east. I live up against Rattlesnake so if I don’t get morning sun my weather station often runs a bit cooler. I know you’re obsessed with making it appear as sunny and warm as possible in North Bend, but do you have to critique or clarify every post I make? 

I am not obsessed with making anything seem warm.   People say I post too much about all of our rain and make it sound like it's wet and cold everywhere.  But the fact is that this has been a very warm and sunny summer out here... and our area has been running warmer than Seattle almost every single day which is unusual.    So I do report when its anomalously warm and dry here too.  And it definitely has been.   

Current view here:

20210720_144051.jpg

  • Like 3
  • Downvote 2
  • Weenie 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, 1000'NorthBend said:

Look, I posted what I’m observing down in North Bend from my office (persistent clouds) and what my weather station said at home (65°F). I just stepped outside and can see the dividing line of cloudy and clear skies to the east. I live up against Rattlesnake so if I don’t get morning sun my weather station often runs a bit cooler. I know you’re obsessed with making it appear as sunny and warm as possible in North Bend, but do you have to critique or clarify every post I make? 

He can't help it.

 

  • lol 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, GHweatherChris said:

He can't help it.

 

I actually did not critique his post.   

I posted about the current weather up here.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

It's sunny right now... and 69 here.    It's been partly sunny since about 12:30.    Very few solid marine layer days this summer where it stays cloudy all day.

This is not a critique of his post.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

This is not a critique of his post.

You know exactly what you do and it makes me hesitant to ever post here. Admittedly, I don’t have much in the way of weather knowledge to add anyways. 

If its sunny only in town, you post the North Bend webcam and ignore our area. If it’s only sunny in our area, you post photos of our area and ignore the clouds in town. Tale as old as time. 

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, TacomaWaWx said:

70 and mostly sunny now. 

It’d be interesting to see if SEA and BFI will be able to crack 70 today. Both sitting at a cool 66F at 3pm with deep cloud deck. Still plenty of time for this to clear out and get warm up. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Warm and cloudy/humid here. No drizzle on the day in my area. 
My yard continues to explode with growth. My grass however is starting to slow down, I can now go to a every two week mowing rotation! 

5D98C908-E12F-437B-9511-8D9066B2F8BF.jpeg

A85B5299-3DB0-4D99-9D71-45538DC78066.jpeg

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, 1000'NorthBend said:

You know exactly what you do and it makes me hesitant to ever post here. Admittedly, I don’t have much in the way of weather knowledge to add anyways. 

If its sunny only in town, you post the North Bend webcam and ignore our area. If it’s only sunny in our area, you post photos of our area and ignore the clouds in town. Tale as old as time. 

I really don’t think Tim was actually trying to criticize you at all here…it can be hard to tell on the internet what people mean. Sometimes he is criticizing things people post but not everything he’s saying has a double jaded meaning to it. 
 As for you not having much to add to the forum you actually do add to the place we’re glad to have you. Just talking about your weather conditions and statistics adds a lot to the place. Just stick around and you learn a lot. I’m still not an expert by any means but I’m still learning a lot. You learn a lot about how to read and interpret forecast models here which I had no idea how to do until I stuck around for awhile. 

  • Like 5
  • Downvote 1

Monthly rainfall-2.23”

Cold season rainfall-

Sub 40 highs-0

Sub 32 highs-0

Sub 32 lows-0

Snowfall-0.0”

Coldest High-63

Coldest Low-42

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, BLI snowman said:

Just a trace at SEA so their dry month remains intact. 

Thanks for this. I was waiting for NWS to update on this but it would appears just a T from this morning drizzle. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, 1000'NorthBend said:

You know exactly what you do and it makes me hesitant to ever post here. Admittedly, I don’t have much in the way of weather knowledge to add anyways. 

If its sunny only in town, you post the North Bend webcam and ignore our area. If it’s only sunny in our area, you post photos of our area and ignore the clouds in town. Tale as old as time. 

That is not true at all... I mix it up for variety.    The view from the Forster Woods web cam is pretty cool and I have the same basic view from here so I post that at times.    I am constantly accused by some on here of over-inflating the high rainfall totals in our area... or exaggerating cloudiness... and implying the entire area is the same.    Now you are saying the opposite.

That view right now from Forster Woods is about the same as it looks here.   Feel free to point out when its different. 

nb 7-20-04.png

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Cloud said:

It’d be interesting to see if SEA and BFI will be able to crack 70 today. Both sitting at a cool 66F at 3pm with deep cloud deck. Still plenty of time for this to clear out and get warm up. 

I think they’ll get there it’s clearing up now. Probably won’t even end up a negative departure here but they might in the central sound to the north of here. 

Monthly rainfall-2.23”

Cold season rainfall-

Sub 40 highs-0

Sub 32 highs-0

Sub 32 lows-0

Snowfall-0.0”

Coldest High-63

Coldest Low-42

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

That is not true at all... I mix it up for variety.    The view from the Forster Woods web cam is pretty cool and I have the same basic view from here so I post that at times.    I am constantly accused by some on here of over-inflating the high rainfall totals in our area... or exaggerating cloudiness... and implying the entire area is the same.    Now you are saying the opposite.

That view right now from Forster Woods is about the same as it looks here.   Feel free to point out when its different. 

nb 7-20-04.png

WSDOT cam at MP 33 shows mostly sunny skies. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Deweydog said:

Does North Bend have a Dairy Queen?

I think it used to... I have seen it in old pictures.   

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Cloud said:

WSDOT cam at MP 33 shows mostly sunny skies. 

Sunny and very dry... 

 

nb 7-20-5.png

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

That is not true at all... I mix it up for variety.    The view from the Forster Woods web cam is pretty cool and I have the same basic view from here so I post that at times.    I am constantly accused by some on here of over-inflating the high rainfall totals in our area... or exaggerating cloudiness... and implying the entire area is the same.    Now you are saying the opposite.

That view right now from Forster Woods is about the same as it looks here.   Feel free to point out when its different. 

nb 7-20-04.png

All I’m asking is that I’m allowed to post my observations without an “actually…”.

I really don’t care, I just enjoy PNW weather. 

 

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, 1000'NorthBend said:

All I’m asking is that I’m allowed to post my observations without an “actually…”.

I really don’t care, I just enjoy PNW weather. 

 

Post away... I love your rainfall observations because I just use the Cedar River Watershed station and your data is sometimes different and even closer.     

And I did not use "actually'.   I just posted what its like here which is closer to your house than you were.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

Busting warm today...

Yes... you can tell the days it will bust warm.   Today and tomorrow are classic days for that to happen when the marine layer sticks around into the afternoon.   Those days are easily identifiable on the ECMWF surface maps. 

Thursday - Saturday will be back to sunny most of the day so it will be accurate or maybe a little low on those days.  Sunday and Monday are wild card days again.   

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

Some of the models are now hinting at ridging returning and warm to hot regional temps as we get to days 9-10. Strongest sign we've really seen of it this month.

Matt senses it coming... Phil says mid to late August.

But its usually best to accelerate Phil's timing.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, TacomaWaWx said:

I think they’ll get there it’s clearing up now. Probably won’t even end up a negative departure here but they might in the central sound to the north of here. 

SEA just jumped to 72 on the latest observation.  

Also 72 in North Bend now... and here.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The entire WA and OR coastline is sunny this afternoon... clouds still hanging tough over Snohomish and northern King County. 

COD-GOES-West-subregional-Pac_NW.02.20210720.233117-over=map-bars=.gif

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Cloud said:

There was a brief period of sunbreak for about 30 mins at 4pm that help warmed up the area to 70F. It’s clouded back up though.

It will be interesting to see the 5 p.m. observation from SEA.   It looks sunny down there now.   

518vc00252.jpg

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Went down to 70 at SEA... wind switched from N to SW.     Interesting.      72 was the high.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18Z ECMWF shows tomorrow being pretty much the same as today with clouds hanging tough over the central Sound area...

 

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-total_cloud-6904800 (1).png

  • Like 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Y’all have a serious pollution problem. Drowning in a sea of western wildfire smoke this evening. Sun completely blocked out. Like a thick, smelly fog.

  • Sick 1
  • Weenie 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TT-SEA said:

Matt senses it coming... Phil says mid to late August.

But its usually best to accelerate Phil's timing.

Mid-August start.  Ridging will already be well underway by late August.

Early August looks to feature IO/EHEM convective forcing which rarely teleconnects to PNW ridging (minus a day or two).

  • Downvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Phil said:

Y’all have a serious pollution problem. Drowning in a sea of western wildfire smoke this evening. Sun completely blocked out. Like a thick, smelly fog.

Pollution?   Could not be more pretty here... a deep blue sky and a refreshing breeze and the smell of fir trees.   :)

  • Like 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Pollution?   Could not be more pretty here... a deep blue sky and a refreshing breeze and the smell of fir trees.   :)

They’re your fires, hence your secondhand smoke.

Just saying.

  • Troll 1
  • Weenie 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Phil said:

They’re your fires, hence your secondhand smoke.

Just saying.

Our fires?   There are no fires around here.   You can keep all that garbage over there.    Thankful for the jet stream right now.   👍

  • Like 3

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Front Ranger said:

Some of the models are now hinting at ridging returning and warm to hot regional temps as we get to days 9-10. Strongest sign we've really seen of it this month.

I don’t see the signal you’re seeing (at least not yet). Definitely not a cool signal either, westside PNW is essentially stuck between the 4CH and GOA trough.

The GFS is just doing stupid things with ULLs again. Every 2-3 runs it goes wild with amplification.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Phil said:

Y’all have a serious pollution problem. Drowning in a sea of western wildfire smoke this evening. Sun completely blocked out. Like a thick, smelly fog.

I had to check some web cams from Minnesota... looks pretty nasty there too.   Not looking forward to leaving our slice of paradise and heading east.  

C770.jpg

  • Sad 1
  • Sick 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Our fires?   There are no fires around here.   You can keep all that garbage over there.    Thankful for the jet stream right now.   👍

There are no fires here. This crap is all coming from the West.

That late June PNW death ridge started it all.

  • Weenie 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Phil said:

There are no fires here. This crap is all coming from the West.

Seriously, I’ve never seen it this bad. Ever. 

There are many parts of the West... western WA is not the source of your problem.     So we don't claim any responsibility here.  👍

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

There are many parts of the West... western WA is not the source of your problem.     So we don't claim any responsibility here.  👍

There are fires in the PNW. Which happen to be the source for this particular plume.

  • Weenie 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Phil said:

There are fires in the PNW. Which happen to be the source for this particular plume.

There are many parts of the PNW.    Western WA claims no responsibility! 

  • Like 2

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • iFred unpinned and pinned this topic
  • iFred unpinned this topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...