Autumn & Winter 2021-22 Observations and Discussion

Tom

Some more data came in earlier this week from the IRI multi-model suite and its suggesting a very warm Autumn...

SON21_NAm_tmp.gif

SON21_NAm_pcp.gif

What about Winter???  It appears it gets colder on the tail end of Autumn into early Winter...

OND...

OND21_NAm_tmp.gif

OND21_NAm_pcp.gif

NDJ...

NDJ22_NAm_tmp.gif

NDJ22_NAm_pcp.gif

Heart of Winter during DJF...so, we have a possible Fast Start and a cold and snowy forecast???  Where do I sign...keep the trends going.

DJF22_NAm_tmp.gif

DJF22_NAm_pcp.gif

• Like 3

With my mind pondering about Autumn and thinking about the LR pattern, could there be an abrupt shift towards Autumn brewing???  Over the past week, I've seen the models flipping back and forth but just recently I've noticed the CFSv2 and Euro Weeklies agreeing on the pattern towards Labor Day weekend.  In fact, they are both more or less in agreement for the entire month of Sept which indicates to me the models may be locking on to some data.  What is it they are seeing???

CFSv2...

2.png

Euro Weeklies...

3.png

As @Clintonhas shown in a previous post, the LRC is predicting a cool/cold mid and late Sept...I think it may be a bit to slow with this cooler pattern but I could be wrong.  Using the LRC at this time of year is tricky because I feel that the old pattern fades as the year progresses and the "new" pattern is about to set up across the Arctic north which can set up blocking patterns that the old pattern did not have before.  For instance, the Greenland Block (-NAO) and -EPO/-WPO are ALL progged to take over the driving forces during the entire month based on the model data that is showing up.  Last year's pattern, iirc, we did NOT have a -WPO and the pattern setting up across the PAC "pond" in the W PAC will have an impact to our N.A wx pattern.

With that being said, it's not surprising to me that we are seeing the Euro Weeklies showing snowfall begin early and often for the Rockies later in Sept...

1.png

Could some folks out west and north see their 1st flakes this month???  Gosh, that would be something...I'm wondering if @FAR_Weather or those in N MN will see flakes fly late Sept.  Nevertheless, I think we will see a volatile 1st month of Met Autumn and say a final good bye to Summer.

7.png

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Remember those CFS snow maps I posted earlier out of Eurasia??  It is becoming clearer day by day that the pattern evolving across the "pond" over W Russia/Europe will support the onset of early snows.  I think this is the harbinger of things to come as nature lays down the foundation...just like it will be doing on our side of the Northern Hemisphere  over AK/Canada.  Check out this temp anomaly off the 0z EPS as a very cold airmass will brew and spill over eastern Europe and W Russia in early Sept.  I will confirm, based on conversations with my mother who has been in Poland this summer, it has become very cool of late.  A vast difference from recent summers where its been anomalously hot.  I wonder what the SAI index will start off like this year on Oct 1st???  Very interested to see what Dr. Judah Cohen will have to say about all of this in the weeks ahead.

1.gif

CFS still advertising widespread snow to overwhelm Russia throughout Sept....

Snow accu. CFS Th 16.09.2021 00 UTC

Oct 1st...

Snow accu. CFS Fr 01.10.2021 12 UTC

• Like 3

If you build the glacier early, it will bode well to seed cold in North America.  The trend is your friend and the LR GEFS are showing the same signals the CFS has been suggesting on both sides of the Northern Hemisphere.  On our side of the N.H., I'm digging the "look" over NW NAMER and if you pay close attn to Cali, there are some hints of snow.  This is something I'll be paying attn to in Oct/Nov to see if storms track into the west coast (which I am predicting they will).  As my curiosity grows, I will continue to monitor developments in the LR pattern and what this Autumn season may portray.  

1.png

2.png

• Like 3

2 hours ago, OKwx2k4 said:

I don't forsee this being a "build gently into winter" type year. I think its going to be a crash and blitz to the end. That's my opinion. I think we should enjoy the peace of September so far. 

I dunno, we're gradually easing into Fall this year it seems. I wouldn't mind it, I'm tired of late September heat waves followed a few weeks after by a massive cold front.

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

55 minutes ago, tStacsh said:

Local mets say MJO is going into phase 4, so no big cold outbreaks yet for here.   

Which I'm fine with. Seasonable temps like I'm set to see are exactly what the doctor ordered. 

• Like 2

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

It is looking more likely that the CFS model painted a good LR indication that Winter shall be coming out of the gates quite fast this year across not only Canada/Alaska but also across Russia/Siberia.

gfs_asnow_asia_65.png

"Oh Canada"....#thinksnow....The "Cascades of Canada" sure lookin' good...won't be long till our nations "Rockies" get their share of legit snows later this month.

5.png

The JMA weeklies came in today and are starting to come in range of the initial period where the sun sets across the North Pole and a glimpse of what the new LRC may begin to look like way up north before it begins to settle down farther south across the mid latitudes.  The Week 3-4 forecast is showing a NE PAC ridge, Eastern Canada Ridge and a stout W Canada trough.  I foresee this pattern delivering early snows for the inter-mountain west and sparking an active pattern for the later half of the month.

3.png

Temp/Precip pattern... 

Y202109.D0812_gl2.png

Look at the AN precip pattern across all of Canada and into the northern half of our Sub.  All signs point towards Canada filling up with Snow and I would not be surprised if a few of our northern members see their 1st flakes by months end.

Y202109.D0812_gl0.png

The SST anomaly map really firing up the NE PAC while the equatorial PAC is showing the La Nina growing...

Y202109.D0812_gls.png

The GEFS LR snowfall map is quite impressive into mid Oct...#buildtheglacier

1.png

• Like 2
  • Excited 2

The Euro weeklies from last night are flashing one of the bigger signals for possible snows across the central/north Sub come mid/late Oct.  I'm intrigued by how far south the model is suggesting possible snows down into NM.  I don't recall seeing maps like these in recent years where it shows snows falling in the SW in October at this range.  Are you mirroring what I've been thinking??  I'm digging the snowy Rockies...I got a good feeling this season will produce a robust ski season for the resorts, even into Cali where they are hurting for moisture.  I hope Lake Tahoe gets in on the moisture come later this month of Sept to put out those fires.

1.png

• Like 3
  • Excited 1

As promised, I'll post the latest maps off the JMA seasonal that came in the other day.  What I find interesting, is the model agreement between the CFSv2 and JMA for the month of October.  The trough near AK/NW C.A. signalling winter will hit it off quickly up that way while farther south down into the U.S. a warmer pattern may be in the cards next month.

1.png

Temp...overall a slightly AN temp pattern from the SW into the W GL's region while a hint of normal temps near the PAC NW and SE CONUS.

Y202109.D0800_gl2.png

Precip...it appears like a normal precip pattern across the eastern 2/3rd's of the nation but a wetter potential pattern across the west coast and So Cal??  That would be very interesting if this ends up being right and nature delivering moisture into So Cal.

Y202109.D0800_gl0.png

cfs-mon_01_z500a_namer_1.png

As we approach November, I think the model is signalling major blocking patterns in and around North America.  This, IMO, is a huge factor going forward for many reasons as it will solidify the LRC pattern that will undoubtedly favor a Greenland Block and -AO.  Notice the trough that is targeting the PAC NW/W Coast and the big block in eastern Canada.  This is fantastic signal for a significant storm train to inundate the west/SW which eventually make it into our Sub Forum.  It's no surprise that the precip pattern is showing a very large area of AN precip from the west into the eastern CONUS.

2.png

Temp/Precip...

Y202109.D0800_gl2.png

Precip....the W PAC signal is one to watch in the month of November as it could deliver some powerful late season Typhoons.  I remember one year when Typhoon Nuri tracked up near East Asia into the Aleutian Islands that was a big part to the pattern in mid November back in 2014.  We could very well see something similar.  Notice the trough near Japan and using the East Asian rule, this is indicative of stormier pattern for the eastern CONUS.

Typhoon Nuri's track...

275px-Nuri_2014_track.png

Y202109.D0800_gl0.png

Finally, the time of year when we all want to see cold air and snow falling during the holiday season that has been lacking in recent years.  Well, if the JMA is right, I think there will be smiles on peoples faces.  I mean, you can't script this any better after looking at the 500mb pattern.  #eyecandy

3.png

Temp/Precip...let's hope this holds....no warmth whatsoever across the CONUS (the model does not really "see" cold at this distance).

Y202109.D0800_gl2.png

Precip...nearly the entire Sub Forum has AN precip.  Like I've said before, I got a great feeling that due to what has transpired here in the SW during this years Monsoon season, I strongly believe Nature will be delivering many storms out this way in the Fall/Winter.  These maps are mirroring what I think will transpire.  Overall, there will be some warmer periods in Oct/Nov but the general them is for a very active storm track and then possibly a big flip into Winter sometime in Nov or early Dec.  I'm really getting excited and antsy to start seeing storms track into the west, esp if the high lat blocking takes over and also the big ticket item...what happens in the Strat?  Early disruption like the models have been suggesting over the past couple months?  Lot's to decipher over the coming weeks.

Y202109.D0800_gl0.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

For a few months in a row, the top climate models continue to show agreement for the start of met Winter.  I'm getting a bit excited to see the JMA, Euro and UKMET all showing an eastern CONUS trough.  This could be the fast start to winter we have all been waiting for in a long time.  Maps Courtesy @BenNoll

1.jpg

2.jpg

• Like 2

Here's another map off the UKMET-Euro blend for Sep-Nov showing a hint of a corridor of cooler anomalies setting up across the central CONUS.  I'm paying close attn way up near Alaska/W Canada where you can sorta see where I expect our early season cold to brew and make its way south into the lower 48.  This is a classic La Nina set up esp when you take into consideration the high lat blocking.

• Like 2

I see there is a new look to the CPC’s long range guess maps. The maps have a little different look to them but the long range guess if mostly the same. Here is their guess for October
https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/long_range/lead14/index.php
and their new look updated long range guess for the rest of the fall season.
https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/long_range/seasonal.php?lead=1
and for the upcoming meteorological winter
https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/long_range/seasonal.php?lead=3

1 hour ago, westMJim said:

I see there is a new look to the CPC’s long range guess maps. The maps have a little different look to them but the long range guess if mostly the same. Here is their guess for October
https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/long_range/lead14/index.php
and their new look updated long range guess for the rest of the fall season.
https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/long_range/seasonal.php?lead=1
and for the upcoming meteorological winter
https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/long_range/seasonal.php?lead=3

Lol. Same guesses as every past winter season ever.

• Like 2

I've read several tweets from @BenNoll's comments regarding the potential for both a significant and early SSW event to occur over the N.H.  This is interesting, for several reasons, but none  moreso than the LR signal from an ensemble mean of climate models suggesting this could be the 2nd (if not earliest) SSW event in recorded history.  Low Solar playing a role???  The high lat blocking which is to immerse the Arctic region later in early October is likely a very big clue.  Not to mention, but look what is transpiring right now over the N Pole/Alaska as the 10mb/30mb upper atmospheric warming already brewing.

Northern Hemisphere 10 hecto Pascals Temperature Anomalies Animation

Northern Hemisphere 30 hecto Pascals Temperature Anomalies Animation

Interesting commentary from him...

December 2021: this forecast of stratospheric temperature anomalies is pretty unusual Red circle How unusual? The zonal mean anomaly between 60-90˚N is the *2nd warmest* predicted by (from September) compared to all years from 1993-2020.

1.jpg

How could you NOT be excited about this winter season???  The LR clues and signals are growing stronger as we get closer in time.  Speaking of which, the CFSv2 continues to trend with abundant high lat blocking when just a few weeks ago the signal was very weak.  I made a comment the other day where the model is playing catch up it seems as it is likely "seeing" the potentially historic SSW event.  

2.gif2.gif

As I digest more data that continues to perk my interest for how this Autumn/Winter season ends up becoming, all you have to do is see what nature has already shown us.  In my opinion, one aspect of what has transpired here in Arizona and the SW this Monsoon season is quite fascinating.  We have seen an overwhelming amount of precip and I don't see this suddenly ending.  In fact, I do strongly believe it will continue into October.  Patterns like these don't just suddenly stop as I feel its more of a longer term trend.  The fact that we are going to see such an enormous amount of blocking this coming cold season it is very conceivable that this will drive the jet stream farther south and become a factor in the SW U.S.  Speaking of which, the CFSv2 is trending in a much wetter signal for the west coast and even down into So Cal!  I love it...

summaryCFSv2.NaPrec.202110.gif

So, here we are in the middle of Sept with so much to look forward to as a winter wx enthusiast...are the models eye candy to look at?  Yes...am I getting my hopes up to early???  Ehh, possibly....but when you see such a profound agreement in the modeling and not the conflicting signals you typically see at this range from the models you gotta get a bit excited, right??

Finally, I'll end this post with this comment that came from Dr. Cohen.  If you recall, I've made several posts on the predicted pattern the CFS was indicating over near Siberia/Russia for this month into Oct.  Well, it appears that both of us are on the same page...

Not much #snow in #Siberia currently but predicted ridging/high pressure in the Barents-Kara Seas will favor downstream troughing/low pressure across Siberia for the remainder of September conducive to a possibly an early and rapid expansion of snow cover across Siberia.

5.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excited 2

Jim Flowers posted this video yesterday. He is showing a pattern change by mid October with much cooler air, although he thinks the model is seeing it as "too quick". He also mentions '08-09' as his preferred analog year for this upcoming Winter.

https://www.facebook.com/148018328718825/posts/1821440708043237/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is quite interesting as I found another potential clue to how the new LRC pattern could be setting up.  In a previous post, I posted a map from Ben Noll that showed in similar years that had a blockbuster SSW event in December, it lead to a stout LR signal for December of an active eastern/southern CONUS storm track.

1.jpg

Yet again, my intuition drew me to look at last night's 0z EPS Northern Hemispheric 500mb pattern.  I usually don't look at this particular map but this morning I was intrigued to do so.  Call me crazy, but do you see the similarities for the opening week of October???  My goodness, it's almost a carbon copy...East Asian Storm Track, Gulf of Alaska LP, Massive Hudson Bay Block, Southern Stream storm track that connects all the way across the "pond" into Europe.  Are you teasing me???  Man, this is the kinda stuff that gets me fired up and excited to see how Autumn sets up. 

3.gif

How about the 0z GEFS???  It's also showing a similar set up...

gfs-ens_z500a_nhem_51.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, snowstorm83 said:

Yeah I'm fully expecting a spike of 90s in early October especially if this no rain trend continues 

Not at all uncommon around here when things dry out and the dew tanks.  I'm seeing several days of mid 80's already starting Sunday through the middle of next week.  Kind of gotten used to these 60's and 70's for highs to be honest.

• Like 1

Breezy like the Plains out there this evening

image.png.42f0cb30e45925a292ca03cbcac935e0.png

• Like 2

Winter 2023-24 Snow Total = 52.8" (89% Normal Season)  Largest Storm: 12" (1/12-13)   Oct: 0.1 Nov: 2.9 Dec: 7.5 Jan: 31.7 Feb: 6.0 Mar: 4.1 Apr: 0.0

Avg = 59.2"  (Harrison): 2023-24 = xx.x" 

Avg = 45.0"  (KDTW): 2022-23 = 33.5"   2021-22 = 35.6"    

Avg = 49.7"  (KRMY): 2020-21 = 36.2"   2019-20 = 48.0"   2018-19 = 56.1"   2017-18 = 68.3"    2016-17 = 52"    2015-16 = 57.4"    2014-15 = 55.3"    2013-14 = 100.6" (coldest & snowiest in the modern record!)  2012-13 = 47.2"    2011-12 = 43.7"

Legit Blizzards (high winds and dbl digit snows): Feb 2011, Dec 2009, Jan 2005, Dec 2000, Jan 1999, Mar 1998, Nov 1989, Jan 1982, Jan 1978, Jan 1977, Apr 1975, Mar 1973, Jan 1967, Feb 1965, Jan 1918

5 hours ago, OmahaSnowFan said:

Looks like we’ll make a run at 90 Sun-Tues.

I swear there were claims of a fast start to fall….

Could be pushing 95 at LNK. The past few days have been nice, but this is the point of the year where we should have consistently nice days. With that said, I wouldn't be surprised to see the first snowflakes within the next 30 days lol. 

• Like 2

Snowfall in Lincoln, NE:

2017-18: 21.4"   2018-19: 55.5"   2019-20: 17.6"   2020-21: 49.4"   2021-22: 5.1" 🤮

Average: 26"

While combing through data this morning, I found an interesting 10mb forecast map off the CFS model for the month of Oct.  Coincidentally, when I took a gander at the current 10mb strat animation it is very clear that both maps mirror each other.  This is a big LR clue.  In fact, it is almost an exact match to the location of where the Euro/UKIE and other climate models show a significant SSW event during the month of Dec.  

1.jpg

Nearly identical warming is happening in the animation below at 10mb....let's see how much this grows/expands as we head into Oct.  Using this info as guidance, along with the BSR, I anticipate the models to show more ridging in the NE PAC/NW NAMER region towards the middle part of Oct.  Will there be a significant model flip towards the 2nd half of Oct???  To early to say, but there is a LR signal that the later part of Oct could turn very cold.

Northern Hemisphere 10 hecto Pascals Temperature Anomalies Animation

• Like 2

• Like 1

Winter 2023-24 Snow Total = 52.8" (89% Normal Season)  Largest Storm: 12" (1/12-13)   Oct: 0.1 Nov: 2.9 Dec: 7.5 Jan: 31.7 Feb: 6.0 Mar: 4.1 Apr: 0.0

Avg = 59.2"  (Harrison): 2023-24 = xx.x" 

Avg = 45.0"  (KDTW): 2022-23 = 33.5"   2021-22 = 35.6"    

Avg = 49.7"  (KRMY): 2020-21 = 36.2"   2019-20 = 48.0"   2018-19 = 56.1"   2017-18 = 68.3"    2016-17 = 52"    2015-16 = 57.4"    2014-15 = 55.3"    2013-14 = 100.6" (coldest & snowiest in the modern record!)  2012-13 = 47.2"    2011-12 = 43.7"

Legit Blizzards (high winds and dbl digit snows): Feb 2011, Dec 2009, Jan 2005, Dec 2000, Jan 1999, Mar 1998, Nov 1989, Jan 1982, Jan 1978, Jan 1977, Apr 1975, Mar 1973, Jan 1967, Feb 1965, Jan 1918

7 hours ago, jaster220 said:

When I was shopping at the grocery store a couple weeks ago in AZ, I happened to come across the Farmers Almanac and took a peak at their winter forecast and it certainly did look really wintry for a large part of the nation, esp the MW/GL's region.  It's rather encouraging to see them dub this coming winter "The Season of Shivers"...time will tell...

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Clinton said:

The weather pattern for the first week of October looks to be disorganized but possibly wet. I am curious to see how something like this will play out this winter I have a feeling it will be warm.

image.thumb.png.d3e00b1361729a6f73f5f91085513306.png

From what I've learned in years past, the surface pressure pattern in the warmer parts of the early Autumn season don't necessarily mean it will be warm in the Winter.  It usually is the opposite unless there is zero high lat blocking to dislodge colder air in the mid lats.  For instance, looking at the same time stamp as your map above, look at the pressure pattern in the northern latitudes.  This, to me, signals colder air would bleed south once it cycles back in Dec.  In the summer, this would have an opposite effect and Canada should be blow torch hot as well as the inter-mountain west/Upper MW.  I'm just thinking out loud here but I do like the fact that there isn't a raging jet blasting into the west which pumps the ridge over our Sub.  Systems are showing signs of tracking into Cali and not just up farther north into the PAC NW during this opening week or so of Oct.

gfs_z500a_namer_45.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tom said:

From what I've learned in years past, the surface pressure pattern in the warmer parts of the early Autumn season don't necessarily mean it will be warm in the Winter.  It usually is the opposite unless there is zero high lat blocking to dislodge colder air in the mid lats.  For instance, looking at the same time stamp as your map above, look at the pressure pattern in the northern latitudes.  This, to me, signals colder air would bleed south once it cycles back in Dec.  In the summer, this would have an opposite effect and Canada should be blow torch hot as well as the inter-mountain west/Upper MW.  I'm just thinking out loud here but I do like the fact that there isn't a raging jet blasting into the west which pumps the ridge over our Sub.  Systems are showing signs of tracking into Cali and not just up farther north into the PAC NW during this opening week or so of Oct.

gfs_z500a_namer_45.png

That makes since and with the cold air bleeding south maybe we can get some phasing going on.

• Like 1

On 9/21/2021 at 1:12 PM, james1976 said:

Jim Flowers posted this video yesterday. He is showing a pattern change by mid October with much cooler air, although he thinks the model is seeing it as "too quick". He also mentions '08-09' as his preferred analog year for this upcoming Winter.

https://www.facebook.com/148018328718825/posts/1821440708043237/

Well of course. Check out the TOP seasonal snowfalls for that winter and the ones either side of it. Not another below avg season please...lol (avg=17")

07-08: 32.6"

08-09: 10.6"

09-10: 40.7"

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

23-24 seasonal snow total: 17.8" (as of 3/9/24)

14 hours ago, Clinton said:

The weather pattern for the first week of October looks to be disorganized but possibly wet. I am curious to see how something like this will play out this winter I have a feeling it will be warm.

image.thumb.png.d3e00b1361729a6f73f5f91085513306.png

That ridge migrates north and west after Tsunami season plus seasonal changes scrambles the wavelengths.

If Flowers is wrong and that shows up in October instead of later into late month/November. This winter will be lit.

Say Oct 10 vs Nov 1...

Its not much of a difference to some but it will be important on this southern flank if the cold shield (should we have one). It could add a second strong cold air mass to our overall pattern in late winter instead of wasting it later into March.

2 hours ago, someweatherdude said:

I noticed that the CPC's Dec-Feb guidance pushed the warmer temps further north by about 400 miles compared to the previous few runs. https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/multi_season/13_seasonal_outlooks/color/t.gif

Kinda strange with a strong La Nina expected 

• Like 1