The Weather Forums

PNW Banter Thread - '21 - '23

Hockey is one of the few sports I cannot get in to, I have tried.  Some friends said that once you go to a game you will be hooked, went with them to a Thunderbirds game years back and couldn't wait to leave after 1st period.  But, I will follow the Krakens record for fun.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GHweatherChris said:

Hockey is one of the few sports I cannot get in to, I have tried.  Some friends said that once you go to a game you will be hooked, went with them to a Thunderbirds game years back and couldn't wait to leave after 1st period.  But, I will follow the Krakens record for fun.

It's a faster paced version of soccer.  Definitely not as intriguing or strategic as football.  

• Like 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Don't talk sh!t about hockey lol. I have season tickets and it's my favorite sport. In my experience, it's the only sport where you get an adrenaline rush as a spectator.

• Like 1

>1" snowfalls at KFAR in 2021-22: 11/11-12 (1.0"), 11/13 (1.8"),

Total 2021-22 snowfall at KFAR: 2.8"

14 hours ago, TT-SEA said:

It's a faster paced version of soccer.  Definitely not as intriguing or strategic as football.  

I don’t think you can make a fair comparison between the two.

Hockey requires a lot more attention to detail while football is pretty straight forward with the pace of play and tons of breaks. Definitely more spectator-friendly for the layman. Chip Kelly almost brought the sport to its knees with his hurry-up style and it was still only a fraction of the strategic planning and endurance needed to effectively roll four lines and defense pairings in hockey. 

• Like 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

20 minutes ago, Deweydog said:

I don’t think you can make a fair comparison between the two.

Hockey requires a lot more attention to detail while football is pretty straight forward with the pace of play and tons of breaks. Definitely more spectator-friendly for the layman. Chip Kelly almost brought the sport to its knees with his hurry-up style and it was still only a fraction of the strategic planning and endurance needed to effectively roll four lines and defense pairings in hockey. 

I guess I just don't understand the details of hockey then... despite growing up in MN and being a huge North Stars fan at the time.   

To me it seems pretty straightforward... a constant battle for control of a disc flying around on ice and lots of luck involved in squeaking it by the goalie.   Although I can see the endurance part of the equation.    Football seems like a classic game of strategy and brute strength which mimics a battlefield.   Each play is a unique chess move.   A great football play is like a masterpiece.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

11 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

I guess I just don't understand the details of hockey then... despite growing up in MN and being a huge North Stars fan at the time.   

To me it seems pretty straightforward... a constant battle for control of a disc flying around on ice and lots of luck involved in squeaking it by the goalie.   Although I can see the endurance part of the equation.    Football seems like a classic game of strategy and brute strength which mimics a battlefield.   Each play is a unique chess move.   A great football play is like a masterpiece.  

Eye of the beholder, I guess. Like I said, hockey is much more subtle and it’s a lot easier to chalk it up as just chaos. Football is by design a lot more straight forward. Everyone knows what Russ Wilson does and his function. A great deal of casual hockey fans can’t distinguish between a defenseman, winger or center at any given time. 

And then you have the fact the sport is played on a surface with a COF of around .05…

• Like 2

On 10/15/2021 at 12:03 PM, Deweydog said:

Eye of the beholder, I guess. Like I said, hockey is much more subtle and it’s a lot easier to chalk it up as just chaos. Football is by design a lot more straight forward. Everyone knows what Russ Wilson does and his function. A great deal of casual hockey fans can’t distinguish between a defenseman, winger or center at any given time. 

And then you have the fact the sport is played on a surface with a COF of around .05…

Absolutely. Hockey can get pretty complex from a strategic perspective. Especially when choreographing breakouts or structuring a fore check, etc. Amazon Prime has a pretty decent 5 episode documentary that followed the Maple Leafs last year. I hate the Leafs, but it gives a pretty good insight into the game.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bonovox said:

Absolutely. Hockey can get pretty complex from a strategic perspective. Especially when choreographing breakouts or structuring a fore check, etc. Amazon Prime has a pretty decent 5 episode documentary that followed the Maple Leafs last year. I hate the Leafs, but it gives a pretty good insight into the game.

It may be the most fast paced sport.

Kraken lost.   Cougs about to lose.   Huskies suck and will lose.   And the Seahawks most certainly will lose tomorrow.    Fun!

• Excited 1
  • scream 1
  • Weenie 1

Cougs!!!!   Awesome stop on defense at the end.   My son said the stadium was rocking.   

Huskies still suck and will never win.   Neither will the Seahawks.    They suuuuuuuck.

• scream 1

Can't reverse psychology the Huskies into a win... they are just not a good team this year and its not going to change.

9 hours ago, Bonovox said:

Yeah, if it were just a matter of get the puck, keep the puck, shoot the puck the game would be unrecognizable. The big issue with hockey is that you simply can’t take long breaks from tracking the action and you have to be willing to watch the play away from the puck almost equally as much. 

• Like 1

At least we aren't as deplorable as Tennessee Volunteer fans.

• Excited 1

Springfield, Oregon cold season 21-22 Stats:

• Coldest high: 40F (Nov 21, 2021)
  • Coldest low: 30F (Nov 17, 2021)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 4 (Most recent: Nov 22, 2021)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 0 (Most recent: Dec 24, 2020)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Last accumulating snowfall: February 27, 2019
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31F) *Longest streak without a sub-freezing high on record*
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 20.7"

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @358jerseys4hope

Jaguars win!   That was a crazy finish.  

Also takes some pressure off the Seahawks in a couple weeks.   No one wanted to be the team that allowed Jacksonville to break their losing streak.

Looks like the Cardinals are going to blowout the Browns despite not having their coach... in addition to the Rams winning 38-11 today.   I assume the Seahawks will be blown out.   It's shaping up to be a disaster of a football season for the Seahawks and Huskies.   The Cougs are the only decent team in WA but they will probably be losing their coach tomorrow! 

10 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Looks like the Cardinals are going to blowout the Browns despite not having their coach... in addition to the Rams winning 38-11 today.   I assume the Seahawks will be blown out.   It's shaping up to be a disaster of a football season for the Seahawks and Huskies.   The Cougs are the only decent team in WA but they will probably be losing their coach tomorrow! 

EWU!

14 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

What happened to their coach? COVID? 

Cardinals are the real deal this year.   Remember when the 49ers and the Seahawks ruled the roost and the Rams and Cardinals were the comical doormats?   

Packers got their doors blown off in week 1 and everyone came down hard on Rodgers for his off-season drama... and since then have won 5 straight and look as good as ever.

And the Ravens just crushing the Chargers... that was surprising.   Thought it would be much closer.

29 minutes ago, Mr Marine Layer said:

Seahawks game is late today.

There is one Sunday night game each week in the NFL.   The Seahawks are playing in that game today.    Next week there is no game on Sunday... they play on Monday night.

The Seahawks have not finished dead last in their division since 1996, when they were in the AFC West & Dennis Erickson was their head coach.

Springfield, Oregon cold season 21-22 Stats:

• Coldest high: 40F (Nov 21, 2021)
  • Coldest low: 30F (Nov 17, 2021)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 4 (Most recent: Nov 22, 2021)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 0 (Most recent: Dec 24, 2020)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31F) *Longest streak without a sub-freezing high on record*
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 20.7"

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @358jerseys4hope