Fire Season

I was at Mt. Adams when the Cascade Creek fire started. That thing exploded immediately. There were tons of lightning strikes that night. Pretty frighting. I found my poor dog hiding in the bushes in the middle of the night in terror. I have some great pics of the smoke plume, it looked like the mountain was erupting. 

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

I was at Mt. Adams when the Cascade Creek fire started. That thing exploded immediately. There were tons of lightning strikes that night. Pretty frighting. I found my poor dog hiding in the bushes in the middle of the night in terror. I have some great pics of the smoke plume, it looked like the mountain was erupting.

You should post those.

I remember watching the thunderstorm complex that ignited that fire from the Lolo Pass area on Mt. Hood. We had gone hiking up McNeil Point earlier that day when the skies had been fairer. I want to say that was around September 10, 2012.

• 1 month later...

The 2015 California [Active] Fire Map

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=zp8nK_5H0MFQ.kzTmU5XK-qJQ&hl=en

The main "lightning caused" fires have been limited to the more Coastal Northwest. And caused by lightning having occurred from the 29th through the 31st of July. Potential hotspots connected to lightning having occurred with the activity overnight just last night are being watched for currently.

The Rocky Fire. (The largest active fire in California at this point.)  Incident report, updating.

http://cdfdata.fire.ca.gov/incidents/incidents details info?incident id=1161

https://twitter.com/CAL FIRE

California Fire Weather

---

• 1 month later...

Sadly the fire season lived up to the hype.

This is of the Canyon Creek fire which is at 110,000 acres and growing. It took out most of the Strawberry Mountain Wilderness.

http://s17.postimg.org/l4f5utmzj/screenshot_22.png

That is devastating. The area is beautiful and has long been high on my list for a backpacking trip. It will probably never look the same again in my lifetime.

That is devastating. The area is beautiful and has long been high on my list for a backpacking trip. It will probably never look the same again in my lifetime.

Maybe not the same, but it could definitely still be beautiful again in your lifetime. It's amazing how fast forested areas can recover from fires with regrowth.

• Like 1

A forum for the end of the world.

Some areas recover faster than others. They don't get a lot of precipitation over there. I'm also not sure if they'll replant it, being a wilderness area and all. I'll be in the area around the 25th, so I'll get some pictures to post.

Wilderness areas are the worst thing to happen to nature since the concept of public land.

What part will you be visiting? Looking forward to the pics.

Some areas recover faster than others.  They don't get a lot of precipitation over there.  I'm also not sure if they'll replant it, being a wilderness area and all.  I'll be in the area around the 25th, so I'll get some pictures to post.

Yes, very true. Even without re-planting efforts I think most areas see decent regrowth within a couple decades, but you're right that it depends on the area.

A forum for the end of the world.

• 2 weeks later...