August 2021 Observations and Discussion

Tom

Currently looks like the big cell a couple counties west of Cedar Rapids may want to lift just north of CR unless it builds south a bit more.  It's still a couple hours away.

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

38 minutes ago, Hawkeye said:

Currently looks like the big cell a couple counties west of Cedar Rapids may want to lift just north of CR unless it builds south a bit more.  It's still a couple hours away.

All of Benton County is now under a severe thunderstorm warning and that cell is moving east at 25mph. It looks like it should move into Cedar Rapids.

9 minutes ago, BMT said:

Insane cloud to ground lightning just north of my house right now

The sky is black to my north.  Northern Linn county is really getting clobbered.  Meanwhile, the storms west of CR are weakening.

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

5 minutes ago, Hawkeye said:

The sky is black to my north.  Northern Linn county is really getting clobbered.  Meanwhile, the storms west of CR are weakening.

Yeah that is for sure.  Unfortunately not more than a sprinkle yet.  I hope that stuff west of us can hold on

At this time I have a temperature of 88 and a DP of 77 that is good for a heat index of 100. Officially at GRR they have a temperature of 86 with a dew point of 75 good for a heat index of 95. To the east at Lansing the temp is 89 DP 70 Heat index is 94.The highest DP seem to be here in SW Michigan. At Sturgis the current DP is a reported 81 with a heat index of 104.

• Like 1

Northern Cedar Rapids got some decent rain, but not the central and south.  I picked up a lousy 0.15".

2-3" fell over northern Linn county.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just as I said earlier this morning, ORD officially hit the hottest "feeling" day of the year...

BREAKING: It's officially the hottest "feeling" day in #Chicago in over two years! Low 90 degree temps combined with oppressive levels of humidity have created dangerous heat indexes. The explosive atmosphere has prompted a SVR T-storm Watch until 10pm.

1.jpg

Some low/mid 80's DP's showing up where the crop is growing...122F HI???  Yikes...

2.jpg

3.jpg

• Sun 1
  • scream 1
  • Sick 1

Sure was hoping for better action than this, which is nothing. I was hoping  that the storms could/would quickly fill and connect with the southern cell, but that was wishful thinking and the southern cell went poof. 😟At least still more chances exist till Thursday, at least for southern and southeastern Iowa.

• Like 1

It was pretty awful working out in the sun and humidity today and I about roasted! I usually don’t sweat a whole lot, but today it kept running down my face while chopping off sweet corn that has finished production and some other outdoor work I wanted finished before the supposed rain or storm. The maximum dew point was 85° for the second time this year and the heat index topped out at 116°.🥵Earlier an outflow from storms just made it far enough south to cool us off a little.

• Like 2
  • Sick 4

Last night's storms were uneventful around here but that did not stop nature from producing a display of beautiful lightning strikes...

Looks like the city got hit pretty good with high winds of 60-70mph last night...

Round 3 later this evening???

1.gif

• Like 4

Boy, after this stretch of active and hot weather, the models are suggesting endless sunshine and very comfy temps well into next week starting this Friday.  We've had some phenomenal stretches of wx this year, but this one may top it off for the GL's region.

Hey, look at this....signs of a pattern change for our northern friends???  It's def looking likely that a more troughy pattern takes shape beyond Day 5 for the PAC NW/N Rockies that should produce a good chance for precip across this parched region.  @FAR_Weather, it is trending better up your way and region wide as the LR signal I'm seeing is suggesting a potentially active pattern shaping up.  Hope the wx God's deliver a turnaround .

0z EPS....

1.gif

• Like 4

After spending the night in the "dark ages" I am now back to 2021. Officially at GRR the highest dew point reached 79. The highest hourly heat index was 98 at 8 PM with a temp of 86 and a dew point of 78. Here at my house the highest DP was 78. Now for the storms last night. Here at my house I recorded 0.25" of wind blown rain. It was very windy and while there was a good bit of lighting there was no thunder with it. Some of what seemed like lightning might have been transformers as there was a lot of blue and red lighting and that can come from power lines touching. At this time there is now hazy sunshine with a temperature of 73 and a dew point of 71 here at my house.  BTY there are still a reported 184000 without power in SW Michigan at this time

• Like 2

Good grief! It is unreal how Chicago, and northern Illinois has been ground zero for severe weather and heavy rain this summer. They look to get several rounds today. Not sure why that area has been doing so well. 

I sure hope we can get something in Cedar Rapids, we still need A LOT of rain to get us out of the drought. Not sure how the rest of this month is looking for precipitation but I sure hope we are done with the hot and dry weather! 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Iowawx said:

Good grief! It is unreal how Chicago, and northern Illinois has been ground zero for severe weather and heavy rain this summer. They look to get several rounds today. Not sure why that area has been doing so well. 

I sure hope we can get something in Cedar Rapids, we still need A LOT of rain to get us out of the drought. Not sure how the rest of this month is looking for precipitation but I sure hope we are done with the hot and dry weather! 

It’s the repeating pattern…the good ol’ LRC…the vegetation around here is amazingly moist and lush.  Farmers and gardeners are thrilled, esp the northern burns getting 1-4” and another 1-2” tonight.  Crazy how fast nature can flip the switch.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WBadgersW said:

106,000 people still without power in the Greater MKE area. Hopefully they can get it on before this evening.

Friend of mine is outta of power in the MKE area. He is not a weather guy- so I'll ask here, was this from severe thunderstorm (widesperad) or possibly a derecho?? 100,000+ is a lot of customers.

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Cells are trying to pop near Cedar Rapids, but the cap is winning so far.  Of course, the cap has broken up along hw20 where several inches of rain has already fallen over the last week.

7 minutes ago, Hawkeye said:

Cells are trying to pop near Cedar Rapids, but the cap is winning so far.  Of course, the cap has broken up along hw20 where several inches of rain has already fallen over the last week.

Do you think it's already too late to get storms here? Do we have a chance tomorrow? 

5 minutes ago, Iowawx said:

Do you think it's already too late to get storms here? Do we have a chance tomorrow? 

There is still a bit of time today, but the cap needs to break asap.  Most models suggest Thursday's action will pop southeast of Cedar Rapids.

11 minutes ago, Hawkeye said:

There is still a bit of time today, but the cap needs to break asap.  Most models suggest Thursday's action will pop southeast of Cedar Rapids.

With the storms that are having a hard time getting going in Linn County, does that mean it's now too late? 

5 minutes ago, Iowawx said:

With the storms that are having a hard time getting going in Linn County, does that mean it's now too late? 

The boundary is still very apparent, draped from northern Linn to southern Benton county.  We are still in play until that passes through.  We probably have another 30 minutes in CR.

• Like 1

The convection that fell apart over chicago this morning might’ve ruined our chances of anything tonight :( had that not happened I can only imagine how intense the storms would be right now! I guess we’ve been pretty spoiled though. Here’s a picture from a photographer I follow on insta — the lightning was so amazing last night!

52BC7013-D88D-4A9B-94C7-8DA820BA8F57.thumb.jpeg.266d45f0b6a1c0f42d3df258d2f16bad.jpeg

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Grizzcoat said:

Friend of mine is outta of power in the MKE area. He is not a weather guy- so I'll ask here, was this from severe thunderstorm (widesperad) or possibly a derecho?? 100,000+ is a lot of customers.

More like a derecho, although by definition I don't think it can be classified as one. The stretch of 58+mph winds was limited to 3 counties, but the entire CWA saw 50-55 mph winds.

80,000 in the Milwaukee area still don't have power. I haven't seen anything like this.

• Sad 1