August 2021 Observations and Discussion

Tom

42 minutes ago, westMJim said:

The latest temperature at GRR is 90 with a dew point of 76 good for a heat index of 101. But here at my house I have a temperature of 92 with a dew point of 80 yes 80 That is good for a heat index of 111.

I had a temp of 93.4 and a Dew of 78 here near downtown on the West Side.  Brutal for sure.  

The line was not able to solidify here, so it's just some gusty wind and a bit of rain.  Yesterday it was solid heavy here and bubbly and weak up by Dubuque.  Today is the opposite.

• Sad 1

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Currently 95F/71F…hottest day of the year…those storms look impressive out in IA.  I think they’ll have no problem reaching my place later this evening.  It looks like it has a slight S trend, however, so we’ll see if the line in S WI can fill in.

• Like 1

I'm wondering if the new line coming out of central Iowa might dive mostly south of CR, closer to the outflow boundary.

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

27 minutes ago, Hawkeye said:

The line was not able to solidify here, so it's just some gusty wind and a bit of rain.  Yesterday it was solid heavy here and bubbly and weak up by Dubuque.  Today is the opposite.

Another large storm complex rolling towards CR.  Currently over Marshalltown. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, westMJim said:

The latest temperature at GRR is 90 with a dew point of 76 good for a heat index of 101. But here at my house I have a temperature of 92 with a dew point of 80 yes 80 That is good for a heat index of 111.

That’s about similar to here today though a gust front blew in maybe half an hour ago and it’s feeling much better! Only sprinkles so far, but more is coming.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Hawkeye said:

I'm wondering if the new line coming out of central Iowa might dive mostly south of CR, closer to the outflow boundary.

I seriously  hope it reaches northern parts of wapello county.  I have 6 acres of turnips and radishes that havent had more than 2 light showers  totalling les than. .18 in August.  They're  all dying fast

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Sweet shelf cloud with this second line.

Yes, the north side and Marion should do well again with less on the sw side where the bow is.

• Like 2

I coach 7th and 8th grade football. I’ve coached varsity football for many years prior. This is one of the hottest practices I’ve been associated with. At 4:30, it was 95 with a heat index of 109 and a 74 dew with no wind. Lots of water and cut down the time dramatically. My hat had water running off of it and our shirts looked like we had just showered. I’ll rank this summer as one of the most humid I’ve lived through. Please hurry Autumn. 

• Like 4

Another 1.07" in my yard this evening.  I was missed by absolutely everything for several weeks and now I've been hit three times in four days.  I expected the north side of CR and Marion to be well above me, but not so.  I actually ended up higher than many up there.

My four-day total is 2.75".  🥳

• Like 4
  • Storm 2

3 hours ago, CentralNebWeather said:

I coach 7th and 8th grade football. I’ve coached varsity football for many years prior. This is one of the hottest practices I’ve been associated with. At 4:30, it was 95 with a heat index of 109 and a 74 dew with no wind. Lots of water and cut down the time dramatically. My hat had water running off of it and our shirts looked like we had just showered. I’ll rank this summer as one of the most humid I’ve lived through. Please hurry Autumn. 

My gosh, that’s peak Texas heat indexes.   You guys must have been sloshing around in your shoes.   
it’s also deadly. Glad everyone’s ok. 

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

With the last system severe storms missed to the south and now they’re missing to the north. I think this is our pushishment since LNK was a snow bullseye last year 😆

• Like 1

Snowfall in Lincoln, NE:

2017-18: 21.4"   2018-19: 55.5"   2019-20: 17.6"   2020-21: 49.4"   2021-22: 5.1" 🤮

Average: 26"

Amazing how well the HPC and their prediction for QPF played out. I wish I would have snapped that picture of their forecast earlier today. It showed a stripe of 1 to 2 inches of rain right along the Platte River. I’m approaching 2”. It didn’t start off looking good; this was what my radar was showing an hour prior to the storms.

C43DBB63-C7DD-467C-964A-1030359439D8.png

D5BCF034-D311-400F-9D38-5A3388076ED8.png

• Like 5

Wow, what a day yesterday in the wx dept...ORD officially had the hottest day of the year (95F), the atmosphere was primed and juiced which allowed storms to bubble up out ahead of the main line which caused flooding rains from ORD to the city proper.  ORD had 1.91" yesterday while in the city some spots approached 2-3" in about an hour from training storms during rush hour traffic.  This was the highest calendar rain in 15 months.

4.jpg

The city became electric when the second line came through...

• Like 3
  • Storm 2

I was awakened by tons of vivid c/g lightning and booming thunder awhile ago as heavy storms were just missing a few miles se. An awesome light show for sure! Now it’s really windy as storms develop north a bit over me with a really close lightning strike.

BTW, I forgot to post my rainfall from last evening which only amounted to .46” or same as the previous day. Acquaintances all around had more.

• Like 2

@Andie, looking more interesting that your area could be targeted by the Hurricane that is forecast to develop in the GOM and track into E TX.  Finish off met Summer with a direct hit for Texas?  Could very well be the seasons strongest hurricane to date to hit the U.S.

10 minutes ago, Tom said:

@Andie, looking more interesting that your area could be targeted by the Hurricane that is forecast to develop in the GOM and track into E TX.  Finish off met Summer with a direct hit for Texas?  Could very well be the seasons strongest hurricane to date to hit the U.S.

A east Texas landfall would be nice as it could send moisture up our way but I think it will likely make landfall in Louisiana. Has a state been hit by 3 hurricanes in a 40 day period? I think it's certainly possible Louisiana does.

• Like 1
  • scream 1

6 minutes ago, Clinton said:

A east Texas landfall would be nice as it could send moisture up our way but I think it will likely make landfall in Louisiana. Has a state been hit by 3 hurricanes in a 40 day period? I think it's certainly possible Louisiana does.

That is a real possibility and would be quite the achievement?  Sarc...but seriously, it could come down to some place near Houston to New Orleans.  Meanwhile, 0z EPS suggesting precip comes your way...many of our members could have a soggy Labor Day weekend.

1.gif

• Like 1
  • Rain 1

7 minutes ago, Tom said:

That is a real possibility and would be quite the achievement?  Sarc...but seriously, it could come down to some place near Houston to New Orleans.  Meanwhile, 0z EPS suggesting precip comes your way...many of our members could have a soggy Labor Day weekend.

1.gif

The timing would stink but after this week we will need it.

This may be the most frustrating 😤and disappointing storm I’ve ever seen, beings there is a drought with nearly stationary storms teasing me by  dumping inches of rain nearly on my doorstep for several hours! Only .34” so far while my sister approx. 7 miles se. is reporting 2.80” ! Probably even more than that a few miles west as well. The drought monitor may now show an end to the drought here in the next update, even though it continues at my place for today at least! Can’t say I didn’t get my fill of close lightning and thunder though, which continues, but I love heavy storms when we need it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Yes, these cells this morning are just bubbling up and sitting in place.  There has been nice lightning all around me for the last hour+, but only a couple sprinkles have fallen here.  Sparky, that cell west of you looks pretty heavy and it's not moving :( .

• Like 1

The overnight low both here at my house and officially at GRR was 67. I recorded a total of 0.40" of rain yesterday. I had a high of 92 yesterday with the highest dew point I have ever had of 80. That is good for a heat index of 111. At this time there it is cloudy and 70 here with a dew point of 69 the 8 AM reading at GRR was 68 with a dew point of 67. I think that during the upcoming winter I will start pointing out the wind chill more often.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tom said:

It’s certainly our turn for a real slam dunk hurricane.  Many will welcome the rain but the coastline will be bracing.  
This has been a typical Texas summer and as usual the weather will turn due to a hurricane.   I’ve seen it occur so many times.  
Glad to see the potential for cooler temps. too.   We are all simply beat down this summer.  Keep me up on insights.
Can’t wait for the rain!!    

• Like 1

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

Looking at the Gulf a little closer this Low doesn’t have a very well developed center at its lower level right now, so models are sending it toward the Texas/La. border. 
If that happens most of Texas will lose out on the rain. 

However, New Orleans could get drenched. They’ve already had 65” of rain!  That’s 20” above average.  Wow. 
I’m hoping for a more westerly path but….. well, I’m not going to hold my breath.  

• Like 2