August 2021 Observations and Discussion

Tom

On the topic of Hurricane Ida, this storm is trending to become a beast...eary similarities to Hurricane Katrina.  Here is a graphic showing on our local mets tracking Katrina 16 years ago to the day for a landfall tomorrow.

King Euro has been following the GFS lead on this one and now has a major CAT 4 slamming into LA...max wind gusts exceeding 130 mph.

1.png

• Like 2

This is a fascinating stat for the PHX valley regarding the Monsoon season and what is on the table...

This quote was written back on 8/21 so it has to be updated bc I believe there were a couple days added since then.

PHOENIX - Phoenix may soon set another weather record after an extremely busy monsoon season.

The National Weather Service said on Saturday that monsoon season 2021 is seven days behind an 1896 record of 24 total days with measurable rainfall between June 15 and Sept. 30.

This means Phoenix has about a month to beat the 1896 record.

• Like 2

The overnight low here at my house was a very warm 75 the official overnight low at GRR was 73. If it stays above 71 until midnight a new record minimum for August 28th will be set the current record is 71 set in 1973 and 1948. At this time it is clear here at my house with a temperature of 76 and a dew point of 73. The last reading at GRR was 75 with a dew point of 72. At Grand Rapids the dew point the lowest dew point in the last 72 hours has been 69 the highest reported dew point reading at GRR in that 72 hours had been 74.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Tom said:

The same can be said by all the people trying to move from CA/OR/WA into Arizona.  It's gotten so bad that the CA home buyers are bidding out the first time home buyers in Arizona!  That's not what you want to see.  Anyway, in terms of the wx, last summer was ridiculously HOT but this summer has been abnormally cool since July when the Monsoon has fired up.  I remember last year on our drive back from So Cal to PHX on the I-10 hwy, I saw several cars packed to the roof driving into the valley of PHX.  It is really quite something seeing this mass migration of people for various reasons...I'm sure some of them are basing that decision on the weather.

Speaking of the wx, we'll be baking and sweating in the heat and humidity today.  A "Taste of TX" in the forecast today with a predicted high of 95F.  Won't be hard to get there since we have current conditions of 79F/72F.  

It breaks my heart to see California go through the trials it is having.  It needs better governance, and soon.   Perhaps then the swarms of people leaving will stop and reverse.  The weather is a real draw.   
I had an Uncle that lived in Roseville.  He also did a great deal of work in the Plumas Forest.  Its fires would break his heart.  
My husband is from Tucson and our family out there is challenged by the changes- both climate and influx of Californians.  
Here we are planning to leave the DFW area.  While the value of our home is way up, so is land though we are leaving the giant metro.  The traffic is becoming a nightmare.  Overall the changes are very challenging.  It must be very bad to make so many flee a gorgeous state.  
my prayer is they won’t bring the nexus of their troubles here and just repeat the mistake.  Texas is an extraordinary place.  Hot but worth it for natives.  

• Like 2

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

The rain outlook for east-central Iowa has really dried up through at least next week. 🙁

• Sad 1
  • Angry 1

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Rise n Shine!  As daylight begins to emerge, I happened to catch this 10-day forecast and it shows nothing but sunshine ☀️ after today’s possible storm action along a CF that is pressing through the region.  Boy, these temps look amazing and Labor Day weekend is trending to be a great one.

01F5A5F8-1319-49FD-8CD6-D82CA0D9B9E6.jpeg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, FAR_Weather said:

Another thunderstorm moving through. We've made up the deficit quite nicely with all these rounds of rain over the past couple of days.

So happy to hear that the "desert" climate you've been experiencing this summer is likely history for the rest of this year!

On the topic of history, Ida is about to make history and hours away from slamming into LA as a very powerful CAT 4 with winds now at 145 mph.  This storm is going to cause tremendous coastal and inland flooding along with immense storm surge.  Nothing worse than a rapidly deepening storm as it approaches while slowing down.  I feel for those who are in the path of this storm.  Prayers to all. 

• Like 4

@snowstorm83and LNK/OMA crew got hit pretty good overnight...and of course @CentralNebWeather where its been tropical of late.  @gabel23, how are you doing out there?   Is your garden doing good this year?

http://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/current/mcview.phtml?prod=comprad&java=script&mode=archive&frames=75&interval=10&year=2021&month=8&day=28&hour=19&minute=40

• Like 3

A new record warmest minimum was set yesterday. The official low for August 28th at Grand Rapids was 74 and that set a new record for the date. The old record was 71 set in 1948 and 1971. For today the record high is 95 set in 1953 and the warmest low is 74 set in 1984. 
The overnight low here at my house was a very warm 76 the official low at Grand Rapids was 74. At this time it is 77 here with a dew point of 71 The 8 am reading at GRR was 75 with a dew point of 71.

• Like 2

On 8/28/2021 at 3:43 AM, Tom said:

The same can be said by all the people trying to move from CA/OR/WA into Arizona.  It's gotten so bad that the CA home buyers are bidding out the first time home buyers in Arizona!  That's not what you want to see.  Anyway, in terms of the wx, last summer was ridiculously HOT but this summer has been abnormally cool since July when the Monsoon has fired up.  I remember last year on our drive back from So Cal to PHX on the I-10 hwy, I saw several cars packed to the roof driving into the valley of PHX.  It is really quite something seeing this mass migration of people for various reasons...I'm sure some of them are basing that decision on the weather.

Speaking of the wx, we'll be baking and sweating in the heat and humidity today.  A "Taste of TX" in the forecast today with a predicted high of 95F.  Won't be hard to get there since we have current conditions of 79F/72F.  

I don’t know why Californians don’t fix their state.   It’s got so much to offer.  

Weatherwise,  in Texas we’re hoping to get some rain from the outer edges of Ida.  Having reached a Cat 4 we could see some western out bands drift our way.  🤞

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2 hours ago, Tom said:

@snowstorm83and LNK/OMA crew got hit pretty good overnight...and of course @CentralNebWeather where its been tropical of late.  @gabel23, how are you doing out there?   Is your garden doing good this year?

http://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/current/mcview.phtml?prod=comprad&java=script&mode=archive&frames=75&interval=10&year=2021&month=8&day=28&hour=19&minute=40

I got 0.55” this early morning. Lots of reports over 2.5” north and west. Corn now needs dry weather for the final maturation stage. Also should not be putting off much evapotranspiration anymore. One day of cooler today that back to warm for the week. Hopefully Friday onward we flip to a Fall pattern. 

• Like 3

She’s a beast.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Tom said:

Been a crazy year @Tom. Rain totals this month is sitting at just over 7" with another 2-3" in the forecast for tomorrow into tomorrow night. Last night we had a crazy amount of CG and the rain came down in buckets. Garden is out of conrol! Wife put up 14 quarts of chili and spaghetti base today and I still have 6 beer flats of tomatoes sitting in the wind! We also canned our Colorado peaches tonight so it has been a crazy sunday. My total precipitation since January (34.05") is well over what I average in a given year! 

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, FAR_Weather said:

Tucson has more rain than here this year and it's not even close.

Its been odd summer! Why nebraska  so wet  but Dakotas  and north Minnesota  so burned up?  I had sopping  wet summer until aug 1st now spots  near me driest aug ever!  In Southern  iowa its been totally  nuts spots with 4 to 7 inches and few miles away zero in aug. That can be said for many parts of south Iowa.

• Like 3

They’re saying on several different weather stations that Ida actually was more dangerous than Katrina.
Having assisted my husband, a FEMA Regional Dir., to get people out of the NOLA football stadium, that’s saying a LOT.  
I can’t believe it strengthened so fast in those 87* waters.  Conditions were perfect. 

• Like 2

A little update on August 2021. This will end up being one of the warmest August since 2010 in most locations. Here is where we stand with just 2 days to go. At Grand Rapids the mean is 74.5 that is a departure of +3.5 and if the month were to end today this would be the 8th warmest on record. At Muskegon the mean is also 74.5 for a departure of +3.6 and at this time it is the 3rd warmest August of record. At Holland the mean there is 73.9 (mostly due to some cooler overnight lows) and that is a departure of +3.7 and is now the 9th warmest August. and now for Lansing to the east the mean so far is 75.6 that is a departure of +5.4 and at this time it is the warmest August on record the next two years are 1955 at 75.4 and then 1947 and 1995 at 75.1 

• Like 2