August 2021 Observations and Discussion

Tom

Good morning from Fountain Hills, AZ!  I decided to take a trip out here and stay for a little while.  The wx was absolutely perfect for a day flight ✈️ with barely any turbulence.  HP dominated most of the trip.  I posted some vids and pics from takeoff to landing.  I love flying and have been fascinated with aircraft since I was a kid.

I’d be lying to you if I wasn’t both surprised and excited to see that the entire state of AZ is under a flood watch.    I’m soo looking forward to some tropical infused downpours tomorrow.  It is a bit Hot and a touch humid here but nothing I can’t handle after what we’ve been dealt with in the MW in August.  My plan is to go up north for the holiday and visit Page, AZ (horseshoe bend) and the North Rim of the Grand Canyon.  Might even do some wild mushroom picking.  We’ll see.

The pic below of Fountain Hills is one that I see quite often when descending into the valley for landing.

06E7DFCE-26B6-4F5A-802B-E8383CD8DC7A.jpeg

2AEEED5B-2FD3-4F15-A490-B76E530547C9.jpeg

• Like 8

With just one more day to go it is now safe to say that August 2021 will be the 9 warmest August of record at Grand Rapids and Holland. It will be the 4 warmest at Muskegon and over at Lansing it looks to be the warmest on record. This was all done with few extremely hot days this August only had 5 days of 90 or better there have been 24 other years when August had more. Grand Rapids is way down the list even at the 89, 88, 87 list even at 85 there have been 15 years with more 85° days in August. For the overnight lows there were 8 nights when the temperature did not fall below 70 that is good for the 7 most.  2010 had the most with 12.  And in the number of nights with lows of 65 or better this August had 18 and that is the 4 most at GR the most is 22 in 1995. So the bottom line is that August 2021 was very warm but with few "hot" days but it had may very warm nights. And of course it was very humid.

• Like 2

Summer 2021 will end up above average. The current mean with just one more day to go is 72.5 the new 30 year average is 70..9 and the 15 year average is 71.4. This will be the warmest summer since 2018 (72.6) and the first simmer since 2016 that all 3 summer months had a mean of 70 or better. 2016 had a mean for the summer of 72.7.

Another warm and muggy morning.  Been busy with coaching and going to games so I hadn't looked very close at the extended forecast.  Today and tomorrow both show potential to touch 90.  Starting Thursday, all days in the extended are 70's to perhaps 80 with lows in the 50's, maybe a day or 2 here or there of 60.  Corn should really start drying out and the airmass has lower dews.  

• Like 3

A line of strong winds and heavy rain finally moved in around 6:30 this morning. It didn't last long, but it was a wake up call for the entire house. 0.88" fell at the airport. 

• Like 2
  • Storm 3

Snowfall in Lincoln, NE:

2017-18: 21.4"   2018-19: 55.5"   2019-20: 17.6"   2020-21: 49.4"   2021-22: 5.1" 🤮

Average: 26"

.55 fell today  and sub 80 temp felt nice. Dewpoint  still got to 71 though. 

In Aug:

1.75" rain  one of my driest months in the past 36 months, compared to average. Throughout  my area some were above avg and some below avg rainfall.

high was 95

High dewpoint  84

This summer will  be remembered  for unending  humidity. Worse ive seen ever in usa in 52 years and 5 years overseas.  Ive seen over 18 days of 90F and 80 DP.  Over 35 days over 90.  Very very few day sub 70 dewpoint.  Its been a growing  season of  long dry periods  interrupted  by  very wet periods.  A excellent  season for lawn care, farming and gardening which I do. Another tidbit at my home no severe weather at all now 2 years.  No wind damage, no hail,  limited lightning and no flooding compared to what  Ive seen in other years in southeast  Iowa.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, OttumwaSnomow said:

.55 fell today  and sub 80 temp felt nice. Dewpoint  still got to 71 though. 

In Aug:

1.75" rain  one of my driest months in the past 36 months, compared to average. Throughout  my area some were above avg and some below avg rainfall.

high was 95

High dewpoint  84

This summer will  be remembered  for unending  humidity. Worse ive seen ever in usa in 52 years and 5 years overseas.  Ive seen over 18 days of 90F and 80 DP.  Over 35 days over 90.  Very very few day sub 70 dewpoint.  Its been a growing  season of  long dry periods  interrupted  by  very wet periods.  A excellent  season for lawn care, farming and gardening which I do. Another tidbit at my home no severe weather at all now 2 years.  No wind damage, no hail,  limited lightning and no flooding compared to what  Ive seen in other years in southeast  Iowa.

I'm thrilled to hear that your business and farm have done well right in the heart of the ag belt region of the MW.  I'm curious though, have you increased your prices due to inflation?  If so, are your customers ok with the price rise?  Just wondering as I've seen costs have run up big time this year.

Yesterday I was surprised by some little showers that developed into a defo band like feature after the main overnight complex had totally missed just to the sw. But the heavier showers again managed to miss all around by 4 - 6 miles where up to around 1” may have fallen to the west and north. Still got a decent .32” putting my August total up to 2.31” and that’s a lot better than August 2020 when I had under .60” when I normally should get over 4”. Some places to my se. near the Mississippi River got inches of rain yesterday.

• Like 2

• Tom unpinned this topic

Here's my monthly summary for my backyard.

Avg low: 66.4 (+.8)

Avg high: 87.6 (+1.8)

coldest low: 55.0 (2nd)

warmest high: 96.8 (23rd)

precip: 4.93" (+.33")

Like almost everyone else had a hot and muggy August with 10 days over 90 degrees and multiple days with dews in the upper 70s and even low 80s. Up to 34 days this summer with highs over 90 now. Max heat index on my weather station was 112.5.

It was mainly hot, humid, and dry to start the month, but the last 10 days were more active. Had 3 severe tstorm watches, 4 severe tstorm warnings, a flash flood warning with severe flooding downtown Omaha, and 5 days of heat advisories. Only had 1 day with measurable precip the first 19 days.

• Like 1
  • Storm 1