Jump to content
The Weather Forums

August Wx Obs in the Pacific Northwest


Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, Phil said:

For you and Tim? Yeah.

Ehhh... it has to be pretty cold for my area to get accumulating snow with strong onshore flow unless its under a c-zone and then its dead calm.    Usually it takes 850mb temps of -7C or -8C for sticking snow in strong onshore flow.   I have seen many days here with a strong SW wind and endless non-sticking wet snow falling with a temp in the mid 30s.    

But even 0C can do the trick with offshore flow.   

  • Like 1
  • Excited 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Ehhh... it has to be pretty cold for my area to get accumulating snow with strong onshore flow unless its under a c-zone and then its dead calm.    Usually it takes 850mb temps of -7C or -8C for sticking snow in strong onshore flow.   I have seen many days here with a strong SW wind and endless non-sticking wet snow falling with a temp in the mid 30s.    

But even 0C can do the trick with offshore flow.   

About -5C does the trick here with decent precip rates, but we almost never get snow with warmer airmasses because we hardly ever get offshore flow with precip. 

Snowfall                                  Precip

2020-21: 12.0"                        2020-21: 65.58"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

 

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Since yesterday the skies were getting noticeably hazier or smokier?  I am not sure which.  Yesterday morning it was at the Cascade Crest, today it has obscured the mountains completely and now mixed at the low level.  Not sure what it is.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, NWbyNW said:

Since yesterday the skies were getting noticeably hazier or smokier?  I am not sure which.  Yesterday morning it was at the Cascade Crest, today it has obscured the mountains completely and now mixed at the low level.  Not sure what it is.  

Some smoke... and some high clouds.    

 

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here is the progression of the smoke.  The first two photos are from yesterday and the last one is today.  You can see the degradation and the hue of everything is a tiny bit more dull.  Over head, the skies are still blue with a few white fluffy clouds, but looking in this direction towards the Cascade's, it looks like soup.  Soup I don't want.

DSCN8959.JPG

DSCN8958.JPG

DSCN8960.JPG

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, NWbyNW said:

Here is the progression of the smoke.  The first two photos are from yesterday and the last one is today.  You can see the degradation and the hue of everything is a tiny bit more dull.  Over head, the skies are still blue with a few white fluffy clouds, but looking in this direction towards the Cascade's, it looks like soup.  Soup I don't want.

DSCN8959.JPG

DSCN8958.JPG

DSCN8960.JPG

It will be gone tomorrow.   And replaced by low clouds.

  • Like 2

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Meatyorologist said:

983180048_gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_nwus_56(1).thumb.png.adcc7994a24eff56221e942fd4325920.png

hollllllly shiiiiiitttttttttttttt 🤞

Clown range regional soaking!!

Up to 82F and a bit smoky but not too bad.

  • Rain 1

Springfield, Oregon cold season 20-21 Stats:

  • Coldest high: 38F (Nov 21)
  • Coldest low: 23F (Oct 26)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 50 (Most recent: Apr 14, 2021)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 3 (Most recent: Dec 24, 2020)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Last accumulating snowfall: February 27, 2019
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

  • Last accumulating snowfall: February 27, 2019
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 20.7"

 

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @358jerseys4hope

24

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looks like SeaTac topped out today at 75F as SW'lys have reached the airport and temps have dropped down to 72F. High clouds, smoke, and slightly lowered heights knocked off around 3-5F from yesterday across the area. 75/54 good for a -2.1F on the day.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, Jginmartini said:

76/49 and currently 73*

Yesterdays low was 47…..I saw my breath 😱

75/49 here. Last 2 mornings have been chilly. 

Monthly rainfall-2.23”

Cold season rainfall-

Sub 40 highs-0

Sub 32 highs-0

Sub 32 lows-0

Snowfall-0.0”

Coldest High-63

Coldest Low-42

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Our monthly average temp was 71.1 on august 15th…now it’s down to 68.0 as of today. 
 Probably still going to finish about 2 degrees above average for august but could’ve been worse. We were on track to threaten 2015 in mid august but thankfully we won’t get close now. Finished June +4.2 and July +1.7. 

  • Like 2

Monthly rainfall-2.23”

Cold season rainfall-

Sub 40 highs-0

Sub 32 highs-0

Sub 32 lows-0

Snowfall-0.0”

Coldest High-63

Coldest Low-42

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Kayla said:

I'd take a 2017-18 winter out here again. First full winter in Bozeman. That winter hit hard in early November and just never let up. 

Think we ended up with 225" of snowfall that season.

380793880_ScreenShot2021-08-25at1_49_41PM.thumb.png.14e2614ce71a99c270c6bbd14c92158c.png

 

I think I heard from either my son or a co-worker who's son went to MSU that quite a few students from Western Washington tapped out after their first winter in Bozeman.  My son started in 18-19, but my co-worker's son was there in 17-18.  I seem to remember from my son that 18-19 was pretty brutal as well.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, Jginmartini said:

Might actually get us wet  🌧 ☔️ 

246DF94E-263D-4351-A39A-A3D694343D70.jpeg

The radar cartoon they showed on the Q13 weather segment showed the rain falling apart as it moved inland.  I sure wouldn't mind it if they were wrong!

  • Rain 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Chewbacca Defense said:

The radar cartoon they showed on the Q13 weather segment showed the rain falling apart as it moved inland.  I sure wouldn't mind it if they were wrong!

You’ve got a decent shot at getting some rain. I might get a couple hundredths. 

22FC24D5-5935-4144-8D08-8DB22A3E2F03.jpeg

  • Like 2

Monthly rainfall-2.23”

Cold season rainfall-

Sub 40 highs-0

Sub 32 highs-0

Sub 32 lows-0

Snowfall-0.0”

Coldest High-63

Coldest Low-42

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Chewbacca Defense said:

The radar cartoon they showed on the Q13 weather segment showed the rain falling apart as it moved inland.  I sure wouldn't mind it if they were wrong!

ECMWF loop tells the tale...

ecmwf-deterministic-nw-precip_3hr_inch-1629914400-1629925200-1630108800-10.gif

  • Like 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Chewbacca Defense said:

The radar cartoon they showed on the Q13 weather segment showed the rain falling apart as it moved inland.  I sure wouldn't mind it if they were wrong!

Time will tell….I little blustery down here currently, I’m kinda cold 🥶 

70* 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oof…

C389B466-ACAA-48BB-8F58-F4EE3607A623.png

  • Storm 1
  • scream 1

Springfield, Oregon cold season 20-21 Stats:

  • Coldest high: 38F (Nov 21)
  • Coldest low: 23F (Oct 26)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 50 (Most recent: Apr 14, 2021)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 3 (Most recent: Dec 24, 2020)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Last accumulating snowfall: February 27, 2019
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

  • Last accumulating snowfall: February 27, 2019
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 20.7"

 

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @358jerseys4hope

24

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Jginmartini said:

Time will tell….I little blustery down here currently, I’m kinda cold 🥶 

70* 

Sun is back here now but yeah. Had to go get a fleece to continue to enjoy deck time. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

ECMWF loop tells the tale...

ecmwf-deterministic-nw-precip_3hr_inch-1629914400-1629925200-1630108800-10.gif

Coming directly in from the west? Yeah, central sound is gonna be dry here with that aka donut hole. Might get lucky if we can get a convergence going

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, TigerWoodsLibido said:

Oof…

C389B466-ACAA-48BB-8F58-F4EE3607A623.png

This one is way too massive and scary. If anything, hopefully Katrina have fixed a lot of the previous issues down there. Katrina made New Orleans landfall at 920mb, Dont want to see that again! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Meatyorologist said:

Looks like SeaTac topped out today at 75F as SW'lys have reached the airport and temps have dropped down to 72F. High clouds, smoke, and slightly lowered heights knocked off around 3-5F from yesterday across the area. 75/54 good for a -2.1F on the day.

Yesterday ruined it! Would’ve been 5 straight days of below normal highs and would be a week’s worth base on what’s coming next couple days! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Cloud said:

Summer 2021 at SEA will likely join 2013, 2015, and 2018 as top 4 warmest summers on record dating back to 1900.

 

Seems that 3rd runway really screwed up the averages at SEA.

  • Like 2
  • Troll 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Chewbacca Defense said:

 

I think I heard from either my son or a co-worker who's son went to MSU that quite a few students from Western Washington tapped out after their first winter in Bozeman.  My son started in 18-19, but my co-worker's son was there in 17-18.  I seem to remember from my son that 18-19 was pretty brutal as well.

 

Yeah 18-19 was also a big winter but the brunt of that one hit in Feb/Mar whereas 17-18 was more consistent throughout. Of course early March 2019 was when a bunch off all-time cold and snow records fell along with many roofs in Bozeman. Even the MSU fitness center roof collapsed. Think I had around 5ft on the ground in late Feb/early March 2019.

912183908_ScreenShot2021-08-25at7_54_54PM.png.28857067e7179c9c0cf14104ebc0ae06.png148260851_ScreenShot2021-08-25at7_55_26PM.thumb.png.00333fefc4404bc1dba072d710586da3.png

  • Like 4

Cold Season 2021/22:

Total snowfall: 0.0"

Highest daily snowfall: 0.0"

Highest snow depth: 0.0"

Coldest high: 47.0º

Coldest low: 40.3º

Number of subzero days: 0

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My favorite mid-90s and early 2000s past time was watching TWC nonstop with incoming winter weather and hurricane central. Since few days ago brought back a lot of nostalgia, the New Orleans hurricane shown is worth getting back into it. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

82/51 for downtown Springfield as the high clouds are moving in. Very comfortable day.

  • Like 1

Springfield, Oregon cold season 20-21 Stats:

  • Coldest high: 38F (Nov 21)
  • Coldest low: 23F (Oct 26)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 50 (Most recent: Apr 14, 2021)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 3 (Most recent: Dec 24, 2020)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Last accumulating snowfall: February 27, 2019
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

  • Last accumulating snowfall: February 27, 2019
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 20.7"

 

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @358jerseys4hope

24

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Cloud said:

I’m sorry for laughing but I find it funny 😂 

They were after the chicken 🐔 

Pretty sunset going on but to lazy to head down to the Sound to watch it unfold. I may be angry at myself though….could be a WOW factor tonigh!

58A53233-DA83-4509-BDF5-13A7B3A56269.png

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, Phil said:

Seems that 3rd runway really screwed up the averages at SEA.

It's built into the averages now... and we still came in 4th.

I don't know about runways... but its been warmer than SEA out here in the forested foothills about 80-85% of the days this summer.   And we have basically the same average temps in the summer as SEA.   

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

It's built into the averages now... and we still came in 4th.

I don't know about runways... but its been warmer than SEA out here in the forested foothills about 80-85% of the days this summer.   And we have basically the same average temps in the summer as SEA.   

The third runway was built in the 2000s. So not completely accounted for yet, but better now versus 1981-2010.

And you don’t have a wx station at all.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Phil said:

The third runway was built in the 2000s. So not completely accounted for yet, but better now versus 1981-2010.

And you don’t have a wx station at all.

Yeah...its accounted for now.   The difference between SEA and OLM in terms of anomalies has completely disappeared.   Might even favor SEA being colder in terms of anomalies now.    It has been that way for 3 months with SEA running colder than OLM in terms of departure from average.   

And it has not even been close between my area and SEA... every station out here has been running warmer than SEA on most days this summer.    Not every day... but the vast majority. 

  • lol 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Despite the cooler weather recently this summer atleast at my location is a lock for the #2 warmest summer behind 2015 in terms of average temp from 6/1-8/31. So far 2021 is at 66.4…but that’ll probably be close to or at 66.0 by the 31st based on the model projections. 
2015-67.3 

2014-65.6

2013-64.8

2018-64.4

Monthly rainfall-2.23”

Cold season rainfall-

Sub 40 highs-0

Sub 32 highs-0

Sub 32 lows-0

Snowfall-0.0”

Coldest High-63

Coldest Low-42

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, MossMan said:

76/50 on the day. 
I mowed this evening! 

97568F50-B08B-4DC7-AF0D-24B49255204D.jpeg

Even you were warmer than SEA for a high today!   That is pretty rare.

  • Like 3

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Kayla said:

Yeah 18-19 was also a big winter but the brunt of that one hit in Feb/Mar whereas 17-18 was more consistent throughout. Of course early March 2019 was when a bunch off all-time cold and snow records fell along with many roofs in Bozeman. Even the MSU fitness center roof collapsed. Think I had around 5ft on the ground in late Feb/early March 2019.

912183908_ScreenShot2021-08-25at7_54_54PM.png.28857067e7179c9c0cf14104ebc0ae06.png148260851_ScreenShot2021-08-25at7_55_26PM.thumb.png.00333fefc4404bc1dba072d710586da3.png

Oh yeah I forgot about the gym collapsing.  My son was so bummed, he practically lived in the climbing gym there, so then I got bummed when I had to start paying $70 a month for a climbing gym membership.  In the end it has been worth it as he found an outdoor activity he really loves.  He almost has the hours and credentials to start leading climbing groups. 

 

And actually, that was the winter that broke the spirit of some of his friends because it seemed like the winter that would never end.  ❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • iFred unpinned and unfeatured this topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...