The Weather Forums

August Wx Obs in the Pacific Northwest

1 hour ago, Phil said:

12z ECMWF is much stronger with Ida at landfall. Pushing Cat4/Cat5, verbatim. 😬

Hate to split hairs but how can you push category 4 and category 5 at the same time?

• Like 1
  • Windy 1
  • Weenie 2

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

2 hours ago, TT-SEA said:

Ehhh... its been sort of fall like for 2 weeks now.    I would definitely enjoy some more summer weather in early fall.     September warmth is nothing like mid-summer warmth anyways.    We only had 8 weeks of peak summer warmth... from mid-June through mid-August.    Even in the middle of that period... the first 3 weeks of July were not that warm in the Puget Sound region (actually colder than normal overall).  And the first half of June and the last half of August were quite cool.    

Goddamn you're annoying.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • lol 2
  • Popcorn 1
  • Windy 1

9 minutes ago, iFred said:

Goddamn you're annoying.

Count the number of below normal days in Seattle since July 1st.    Seems like the only narrative allowed is that it's been the hottest summer we have ever experienced... but since July 1st its been pretty reasonable.    Today is the 26th colder than normal day in Seattle since July 1st.   Almost half the days.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

5 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Count the number of below normal days in Seattle since July 1st.    Seems like the only narrative allowed is that it's been the hottest summer we have ever experienced... but since July 1st its been pretty reasonable.    Today is the 26th colder than normal day in Seattle since July 1st.   Almost half the days.

Puget Sound area has had mostly a pleasant summer. Much different than our friends down south. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SnowChild said:

Puget Sound area has had mostly a pleasant summer. Much different than our friends down south. 

I totally agree... and the person I was talking to is in the Seattle area.   

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

46 minutes ago, TigerWoodsLibido said:

Down here we are still at +3.5 on the month so having a September heatwave to push us way above normal for the month would make sense. Last wetter than normal month here was ironically Sept of last year. Springfield had way less rain than the airport back in June.

Its been crazy down there.    The numbers are not even close.    It actually has felt like fall up here for good part of the last half of August.   Today included.     

• Like 1

Looks like the 18Z is more reasonable after Labor Day... would like nice weather but certainly don't want 100-degree temps and offshore flow or we will have a repeat of last September down south. 

69 for a high at SEA... yet another well below normal day and another sub-70 day.   Have to agree with Jim that we have been on quite a chilly roll lately.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

Looks like this will end up the 3rd warmest August on record at SLE, behind 2018 and 2014. Outside shot at #2, but running the table JJA this summer is probably off the table now. Maybe next year. 

Meanwhile, about 150 mi north...

At OLM, June 2021 ranked #3 on record, July was #12, and August will probably end up around #15 or lower.

A forum for the end of the world.

5 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

Really wasn't all that warm for most places east of the Rockies.

90dTDeptUS.png

Temperatures have been very reasonable. Lots of low 90s, which is very close to average.

It’s the humidity that has been crazy. Which actually explains some of those negative anomalies. Over 9” of rain this month.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Phil said:

Temperatures have been reasonable. It’s the humidity that has been crazy. Which actually explains some of those negative anomalies.

I was miserable in Chicago earlier this week, and I know that's nothing compared to what you often see.

• Sad 1

A forum for the end of the world.

69/57 today and there was a pretty good amount of sunshine this afternoon so that’s pretty solid. 

Monthly rainfall-2.23”

Cold season rainfall-

Sub 40 highs-0

Sub 32 highs-0

Sub 32 lows-0

Snowfall-0.0”

Coldest High-63

Coldest Low-42

Just watching TWC this evening and haven’t been able to follow the models for today. Looks like they’re pushing Ida to Cat 4 at landfall. Currently, the storm is already strengthening more than expected. 

2 hours ago, TT-SEA said:

69 for a high at SEA... yet another well below normal day and another sub-70 day.   Have to agree with Jim that we have been on quite a chilly roll lately.  

Translation to the underlying message: Because things have been quite chilly lately, I’d like it to torch in again September, maybe an occasional rainy bouts to help the fires!  Summer deserves to be from April to October every year around here! ;);) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Front Ranger said:

Probably a good number of midnight lows tonight.

Hopefully it stays clear throughout the night. Would like to improve on our low of 57 today. 

Monthly rainfall-2.23”

Cold season rainfall-

Sub 40 highs-0

Sub 32 highs-0

Sub 32 lows-0

Snowfall-0.0”

Coldest High-63

Coldest Low-42

Surprised to see Jeff Morrow back on TWC. I think he left about a decade ago, but it’s nice to actually still see some familiar faces, Carl Parker etc…. especially now with the Ida coverage. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Cloud said:

Translation to the underlying message: Because things have been quite chilly lately, I’d like it to torch in again September, maybe an occasional rainy bouts to help the fires!  Summer deserves to be from April to October every year around here! ;);) 

Wow, you’re catching on quick.

• Thanks 1
  • lol 1

46 minutes ago, Cloud said:

Just one person's opinion... but that would be nice.   At least May through September.   That still leaves the majority of the year for other things.   :)

• Like 1
  • Rain 1

7 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

Maybe you should move to Redding.

Noooo... too hot in the summer.    Climate change might be extending our summer season anyways.  

It was a lovely afternoon after about 1:30 and after the drizzle quit. 

Last night of a sunset after 8pm for awhile!

Above Richmond Beach, Shoreline. 475 feet

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

Weather station/wx cam:
http://map.bloomsky.com/weather-stations/gqBxp6apnJSnqqm2

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KWABOTHE144#history

Just now, Geos said:

It was a lovely afternoon after about 1:30 and after the drizzle quit. 

Last night of a sunset after 8pm for awhile!

I saw on the radar and web cams that it was still raining well into the afternoon up there and over to about Redmond and Fall City.    After the rain last night it did not rain here at all during the day.  

6 minutes ago, Cloud said:

Pretty sure I saw a 943mb in there before landfall. And it also slows down too. 😱

Yeah... a westward trend would be the best outcome now since that area is sparsely populated and mostly marsh land.    But not too far west or it gets heavily populated again.

15 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

NAM... seen this before.

Yeah highly unlikely this goes full Dorian with only 36hrs until landfall. Would be shocked if she’s under 930mb by tomorrow evening.

But I’ve been wrong all summer, so..

5 minutes ago, Phil said:

Yeah highly unlikely this goes full Dorian with only 36hrs until landfall. Would be shocked if she’s under 930mb by tomorrow evening.

But I’ve been wrong all summer, so..

Given it's has cleared western Cuba now, the very warm water which looks like Ida will track along, the depth of the warm water, and no wind shear, I'm going with peak 170mph. Maybe stronger. No, really.

00z ECMWF in 1 hour 34 minutes

• iFred unpinned and unfeatured this topic