The Weather Forums

August Wx Obs in the Pacific Northwest

Family in New Orleans is currently evacuating. Just messaged me that Jim Cantore is live in front of one of the tour boats I went on while visiting a few years ago. Their neighborhood is higher up than the rest of the city and was spared in Katrina, so barring any terrible fortune, roof tiles will be the only casualty at their place.

• Like 4
  • Sad 2
  • Windy 1

There is definitely deeper convection trying to wrap around the center of circulation, but that western side is still inhibiting rapid intensification. It just hasn't reached that point yet with its organization. There is still plenty of time for Ida to go nuts.

index.jpg

• Like 1
  • Storm 1
  • Windy 1
  • scream 1

1 hour ago, iFred said:

I totally agree. I know a lot of people who moved up here from Tucson who would love to see the hillsides be rid of those totally damp and dreary trees for some more warm friendly scrub. Could you imagine how enjoyable it would be to boat on Lake Sammamish if we could have more summers like these? People used to say summer in late August and early September was amazing here, but those people were mentally ill or just morally corrupt with their undeserving appreciation of sub 90º weather.

Thank you Tim for being the guiding light on this forum of cold freaks. You're like a heat lamp over french fries, keeping things warm, long after they should have cooled off. Fingers crossed for a warm and dry winter! We have a new palm that I am sure most of you are going to love.

Good Lord... for the 3 billionth time Phil told us that summer is horrific and everyone hates it.   Maybe the 4 billionth time.   

So for the 3 billionth time I mentioned that some people do like summer.   Many people.   Many people who are natives.    Not a judgment at all.     Please tell me where I mock other people?   Show me.   Everyone has opinions and we tend to repeat them over and over.

Tomorrow Phil will tell us for the 4 billionth + 1 time that summer is horrific and you have to be evil to enjoy it.    Of course we live in an entirely different climate here.   But the guy 3,000 miles away can tell us to hate summer pretty much every day and that is great.  😀

• Like 1
  • Popcorn 1
  • Downvote 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

6 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Good Lord... for the 3 billionth time Phil told us that summer is horrific and everyone hates it.   Maybe the 4 billionth time.   

So for the 3 billionth time I mentioned that some people do like summer.   Many people.   Many people who are natives.    Not a judgment at all.     Please tell me where I mock other people?   Show me.   Everyone has opinions and we tend to repeat them over and over.

Tomorrow Phil will tell us for the 4 billionth + 1 time that summer is horrific and you have to be evil to enjoy it.    Of course we live in an entirely different climate here.   But the guy 3,000 miles away can tell us to hate summer pretty much every day and that is great.  😀

Lies, 3 or 4 billion times is impossible, neither of you are even over 100,000 posts.  There is no room for hyperbole here.

• Like 1
  • Excited 1
  • Popcorn 1

30 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Insecurity is a powerful thing.

Insecure about weather preferences?   Seems strange.   I am not.   Don't think you are either.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

426e1e9b8c578a242e468508a180ee33.gif

• Excited 1
  • lol 1
  • scream 1

Weather Data for Klamath Falls, OR
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Snowfall (with % of seasonal average)

2010-2011 - 60.70" (168%)
2011-2012 - 49.00" (136%)
2012-2013 - 25.10" (70%)
2013-2014 - 9.05" (25%)
2014-2015 - 2.90" (8%)
2015-2016 - 54.45" (151%)
2016-2017 - 63.00" (175%)
2017-2018 - 18.10" (50%)
2018-2019 - 52.30" (145%)
2019-2020 - 37.00" (103%)
2020-2021 - 19.00" (53%)

2021 Thunderstorms (9)
05/14, 06/22, 06/24, 07/27, 07/29
07/31, 08/01, 08/05, 08/13, 

Biggest Snowstorm - 18.4" (Jan 3-4 2017 - 26 hours)
Top 5 Daily Snows: 12.40" (01/03/2017), 8.20" (11/23/2010), 7.50" (12/13/2015), 6.60" (02/07/2017), 6.20" (03/10/2019)
Honorable Mention: 6.00" (03/20/2012), 6.00" (02/28/2012), 6.00" (01/16/2020), 5.70" (12/14/2016), 5.50" (01/18/2012)
Max Depths: 21.00" (01/07/2017), 18.00" (12/24/2015), 13.00" (01/16/2020), 11.00" (11/23/2010), 9.50" (02/27/2019), 9.00" (02/28/2012)

T'storm Days: 10 (2020), 14 (2019), 16 (2018), 12 (2017), 13 (2016), 20 (2015), 21 (2014), 16 (2013), 2 (2012), 12 (2011)
1980-2015 Avg = 12
Severe T'storms: 6 (08/05/2020), (08/10/2019), (08/08/2017), (07/24/2017), (01/19/2016), (08/05/2012) 
"Almost" Severe: 2 (08/10/2017), (05/04/2016)
Vicinity Severe T'storms (close enough to hear, with official severe reports)
(06/26/2017), (08/05/2016), (07/09/2015), (07/05/2015), (06/09/2015), (08/05/2014), (08/04/2014), (08/22/2013), (08/12/2013), (09/12/2011), (09/04/2011)

And for the record... I like the different opinions on here.   It would be so boring if everyone had the same preferences.   Really boring.   I get a little tired of being told by Phil that you are evil if you like warm weather... but that is Philperbole!   Can you imagine me telling Cloud or TacomaWaWx (or others) that they were pure evil for liking cold weather or rain?   I love conversing with them about our weather on a daily basis.       

Its funny that Phil tells us how incredible summer is in Seattle and then tells us pretty much every day that you need to hate summer.    Of course I am going to call him out on this goofiness.  😁

• Like 1
  • lol 1
  • Troll 1

13 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

And for the record... I like the different opinions on here.   It would be so boring if everyone had the same preferences.   Really boring.   I get a little tired of being told by Phil that you are evil if you like warm weather... but that is Philperbole!   Can you imagine me telling Cloud or TacomaWaWx (or others) that they were pure evil for liking cold weather or rain?   I love conversing with them about our weather on a daily basis.       

Its funny that Phil tells us how incredible summer is in Seattle and then tells us pretty much every day that you need to hate summer.    Of course I am going to call him out on this goofiness.  😁

You actually do the same thing quite often, just in a completely different manner, a lot us of recognize it daily.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Deweydog said:

Speaking of analogs, the GT version was released in 1977, another year featuring an August which started with a climate catastrophe but ended with climate JUSTICE!

People who like cooler weather are entitled IDIOTS.

• Sun 1
  • Weenie 2

31 minutes ago, GHweatherChris said:

You actually do the same thing quite often, just in a completely different manner, a lot of recognize it daily.

Yeah... well you are reading it wrong.  Which might be insecurity.  Because I am not trying to convince anyone to agree with me and I am in the minority here.    The majority of the posts on here are people stating preferences and opinion in regard to what is happening now or what the models are showing.   

Just now, Jesse said:

People who like cooler weather are entitled IDIOTS.

You are the insecure one... which is why you always have a chip on your shoulder and maintain your list.  

• Like 1
  • Troll 1

1 minute ago, TT-SEA said:

Yeah... well you are reading it wrong.     Which might be insecurity.    Because I am not trying to convince anyone to agree with me and I am in the minority here.    The majority of the posts on here are people stating preferences and opinion in regard to what is happening now or what the models are showing.   

i-know-my-truth-vince-vaughn.gif.143264e7a7a50f273d80a508111ab6fa.gif

• Excited 1
  • lol 3

11 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Honest question, where on earth would you like to live most, in terms of climate? You seem so miserable here.

• Popcorn 1

Last night it was fairly breezy here on the island but it’s totally calm and clear minus a few high clouds tonight. 

8D2E5B9B-A09A-4BB1-8BDE-8298E9B1EDC1.jpeg

1DCA7B5A-D0E3-4C70-B578-56DF52E6A5CB.jpeg

• Like 7

Monthly rainfall-2.23”

Cold season rainfall-

Sub 40 highs-0

Sub 32 highs-0

Sub 32 lows-0

Snowfall-0.0”

Coldest High-63

Coldest Low-42

6 minutes ago, Meatyorologist said:

Honest question, where on earth would you like to live most, in terms of climate? You seem so miserable here.

We honestly love it here.   My wife and I just had this conversation a few days ago with the insane real estate prices right now and the chance to cash out and we went through the entire country and nowhere else appeals to us like this area.   We could move tomorrow and it would be a financial boon... but the intangible price is too great.    That being said... I could happily spend 2 or 3 months a year in Hawaii.   Its just too expensive and not practical right now.  

• Like 1
  • Snow 1

Weather preferences are like sexual preferences... people innately like what they like and nobody is going to change their mind.   😁

• Excited 1
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, BLI snowman said:

Ugly situation for NO. Ida is looking fierce now and model guidance is clearly shifting a bit east with each run. Looking like a NE eyewall hit for parts of the city.

16 years to the day after Katrina is a bit of cruel irony. I don't know anything about their infrastructure situation but you would hope they learned from Katrina and are much better prepared than in 2005.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, GHweatherChris said:

Definitely not true, new things can be exciting in certain settings, many new things!!

I guess that can sort of fit sexual preferences too?   🤪

00Z GFS still showing some showers and cooler temps on Saturday and Sunday... guessing the ECMWF might start showing this as well.     The GFS is being pretty insistent.  

• Weenie 1

2 minutes ago, Meatyorologist said:

I love Boring Dreary Seattle Meteorology!

You have mentioned that many, many times!    And I like having you here and glad you have become a regular.   👍

10 minutes ago, James Jones said:

16 years to the day after Katrina is a bit of cruel irony. I don't know anything about their infrastructure situation but you would hope they learned from Katrina and are much better prepared than in 2005.

I know they've built a new seawall and supposedly designed it to withstand a 15' storm surge. This will definitely be a big test for it.

Just now, Meatyorologist said:

oh tim... try reading my post again

😆

Got it now.    To each their own!  

• lol 1

SEA has now notched 9 consecutive days with below normal temps and 12 out of the last 13.  Should be +0.6 for the month after today.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2021-22 stats

Total Snowfall = 0.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 0

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 42

Lows 32 or below = 0

Highs 32 or below = 0

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 0

2 hours ago, Meatyorologist said:

Family in New Orleans is currently evacuating. Just messaged me that Jim Cantore is live in front of one of the tour boats I went on while visiting a few years ago. Their neighborhood is higher up than the rest of the city and was spared in Katrina, so barring any terrible fortune, roof tiles will be the only casualty at their place.

There has been a lot of work done on the levees since Katrina, and Ida is forecast to be a weaker storm with a smaller surge, so odds are Nola is not going to flood this time.

• Like 1
  • Popcorn 1
It's called clown range for a reason.

2 minutes ago, GHweatherChris said:

Some people only see or hear what they want, can't change that.

You missed the joke.  

• iFred unpinned and unfeatured this topic