The Weather Forums

August Wx Obs in the Pacific Northwest

26 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Low 80s and sunshine with no smoke can last as long as it wants for me.  

Unfortunately the fires really blew up today in BC/WA so that isn't going to be sustainable. You need rain at this point, bad.

CODNEXLAB-GOES-West-subregional-S_British_Columbia-07-02_36Z-20210816_counties-map_-100-1n-10-100.thumb.gif.6c424f463bed8480b0ce24e3fad4a537.gif

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Cold Season 2021/22:

Total snowfall: 16.0"

Highest daily snowfall: 16.0"

Highest snow depth: 15.0"

Coldest high: 29.7º

Coldest low: 25.3º

Number of subzero days: 0

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

32 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Low 80s and sunshine with no smoke can last as long as it wants for me.  

I've finally been broken.  I'm normally a fan of warm and sunny weather in the summer but this is too much for me.  The 60 to 70% humidity is just not enjoyable.  Let's have some fall weather please.

7 minutes ago, Kayla said:

Unfortunately the fires really blew up today in BC/WA so that isn't going to be sustainable. You need rain at this point, bad.

CODNEXLAB-GOES-West-subregional-S_British_Columbia-07-02_36Z-20210816_counties-map_-100-1n-10-100.thumb.gif.6c424f463bed8480b0ce24e3fad4a537.gif

Too bad we won’t be getting much the next few days. 

• Sad 1

Monthly rainfall-0.81”

Cold season rainfall-15.96”

Sub 40 highs-0

Sub 32 highs-0

Sub 32 lows-0

Snowfall-0.0”

Coldest High-42

Coldest Low-34

10 minutes ago, Kayla said:

Yeah....this is a very serious drought now.  The sad part is the pattern I want to see in the fall would also be pretty dry.  I'm always a fan of GOA ridging and N to NW flow, but even a week of zonal or WSW flow would do wonders for us in the fall.

• Like 4

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2021-22 stats

Total Snowfall = 0.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 0

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 29

Lows 32 or below = 7

Highs 32 or below = 0

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 0

57 minutes ago, Omegaraptor said:

96 in the boro. #25!

96 seems nearly impossible with the numbers we had to work with today, but nothing shocks me anymore this summer.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2021-22 stats

Total Snowfall = 0.0"

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 29

Lows 32 or below = 7

Highs 32 or below = 0

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 0

18 minutes ago, Acer said:

I've finally been broken.  I'm normally a fan of warm and sunny weather in the summer but this is too much for me.  The 60 to 70% humidity is just not enjoyable.  Let's have some fall weather please.

Fall weather might be a ways off.   I am all for getting some rain... but I am in no rush to end summer as long as it stays reasonable and out of the 90s.

• Downvote 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

A couple pics along I-90 driving towards Lake Sammamish early this afternoon... it looks pretty normal for mid August around here.   Does not seem too unusual in this area at least.

20210815_131548.jpg

20210815_131556.jpg

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

9 minutes ago, Deweydog said:

🤦‍♂️

Not sure what to say...but its not Armageddon around here.   At least not yet.   Just seems like typical late summer.  

18Z ECMWF shows highs around 80 tomorrow and then low 70s for Tuesday in the Seattle area.   

Total rain through Tuesday evening...

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-total_precip_inch-9266400.png

• Like 1

Peoples homes are burning, but Tim finds this all surprisingly refreshing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2021-22: T"                         2021-22: 23.25" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 

4 minutes ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

Peoples homes are burning, but Tim finds this all surprisingly refreshing. 

Well there are fires every summer so by that definition you can't be allowed to ever enjoy summer in the PNW.   But most people do enjoy summer even if there are wildfires.    I am all for some rain.  Bring it on.   But I will also enjoy a week in the 70s to low 80s coming up.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 3

1 minute ago, GHweatherChris said:

Yep, "the good of the one or the few outweighs the good of the many" with that one.

Except we don't control the weather so it's completely irrelevant.  

• Downvote 2

10 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Well there are fires every summer so by that definition you can't be allowed to ever enjoy summer in the PNW.   But most people do enjoy summer even if there are wildfires.    I am all for some rain.  Bring it on.   But I will also enjoy a week in the 70s to low 80s coming up.

It's gonna get smokey again on Tuesday afternoon with northerly flow.

• Sick 1

Cold Season 2021/22:

Total snowfall: 16.0"

Highest daily snowfall: 16.0"

Highest snow depth: 15.0"

Coldest high: 29.7º

Coldest low: 25.3º

Number of subzero days: 0

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

5 minutes ago, GHweatherChris said:

Yep, "the good of the one or the few outweighs the good of the many" with that one.

Side note... interesting to see you arguing for the 'good of society over the individual' with something you can't control (the weather) but ignoring that argument in the OT thread with something you can control.   🤔

• Popcorn 1

5 minutes ago, Kayla said:

It's gonna get smokey again on Tuesday afternoon with NNW flow.

Hoping it's short-lived and when the trough moves east it's pushed out again.  There is a period when the trough is at its deepest point that favors NE flow from BC and that does suck.

1 minute ago, TT-SEA said:

Side note... interesting to see you arguing for the 'good of society over the individual' with something you can't control (the weather) but ignoring that argument in the OT thread with something you can control.   🤔

I never said for the good of society.

• lol 1

Just now, Jginmartini said:

Enjoyed the sunset as well!  Felt like I was in the Bahamas tonight !!!

A218D5DC-6BFD-4414-BD43-1E7B2618E912.jpeg

07F3C9E8-7086-48BC-9ECA-95292371D400.jpeg

It was just a spectacular PNW summer day in western WA.   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thought someone might enjoy seeing this next weather system coming into the Puget Sound from the north.  It is very visible here in this photo. In the photo we are looking north towards northern Washington.  That cloud system, the darkest layer, is probably over British Columbia and northern WA.  The breeze is stronger tonight and a chill in the air, feels great.  Currently 66F.

DSCN8930.JPG

Screen Shot 2021-08-15 at 9.12.41 PM.png

• Like 4

Just now, Front Ranger said:

I doubt many places around the Sound will reach 80 tomorrow.

Tough call near the water... very likely out here though.

8 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

Appears 0z will be cooler than 18z in the mid range, due to building the offshore ridge further offshore.

Couple more days and it’ll be shown right over us.

Springfield, Oregon cold season 21-22 Stats:

• Coldest high: 40F (Nov 21, 2021)
  • Coldest low: 30F (Nov 17, 2021)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 4 (Most recent: Nov 22, 2021)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 0 (Most recent: Dec 24, 2020)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Last accumulating snowfall: February 27, 2019
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31F) *Longest streak without a sub-freezing high on record*
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall: February 27, 2019
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 20.7"

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @358jerseys4hope

8 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

Appears 0z will be cooler than 18z in the mid range, due to building the offshore ridge further offshore.

A delicate balance next weekend... between a building ridging or a blossoming trough.   

FWIW... the 00Z ICON was also more troughy.  

9 minutes ago, NWbyNW said:

Thought someone might enjoy seeing this next weather system coming into the Puget Sound from the north.  It is very visible here in this photo. In the photo we are looking north towards northern Washington.  That cloud system, the darkest layer, is probably over British Columbia and northern WA.  The breeze is stronger tonight and a chill in the air, feels great.  Currently 66F.

DSCN8930.JPG

Screen Shot 2021-08-15 at 9.12.41 PM.png

Love real time weather photos along with the satellite shot 

17 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Side note... interesting that you don't have any clue to my current status of said argument in the OT thread, but it shouldn't concern you or anyone anyways.

Still cloudy and a comfortable 60° currently here.

7 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Tough call near the water... very likely out here though.

I think it's a pretty easy call for the Seattle area. They were in the low 80s today with much warmer 850s and sunshine. With any cloud cover tomorrow afternoon, shouldn't be close to that.

A forum for the end of the world.

10 minutes ago, GHweatherChris said:

Side note... interesting that you don't have any clue to my current status of said argument in the OT thread, but it shouldn't concern you or anyone anyways.

Still cloudy and a comfortable 60° currently here.

Does not change the fact that you argued just the opposite there... and that is something we can actually control.  Unlike the weather.

3 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

I think it's a pretty easy call for the Seattle area. They were in the low 80s today with much warmer 850s and sunshine. With any cloud cover tomorrow afternoon, shouldn't be close to that.

ECMWF shows the clouds holding off to the west well into the afternoon.   No idea if it will be right.   Timing is everything tomorrow. 

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-total_cloud-9147600.png

2 minutes ago, GHweatherChris said:

Another perfect cool day on tap for here!!

Yuck... I would never last out there with so much gloom in the summer.    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, snow_wizard said:

Yeah....this is a very serious drought now.  The sad part is the pattern I want to see in the fall would also be pretty dry.  I'm always a fan of GOA ridging and N to NW flow, but even a week of zonal or WSW flow would do wonders for us in the fall.

A winter and fall of zonal flow would be welcomed by all.

• Like 1

Just now, GHweatherChris said:

You would love this summer out here for sure!!

Yeah... no.    😀

Just now, snow drift said:

A winter and fall of zonal flow would be welcomed by all.

To Jim's point... we have been in an amplified pattern regime that will be hard to break.   

The GFS is all in on trough number two.  Huge improvement.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2021-22 stats

Total Snowfall = 0.0"

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 29

Lows 32 or below = 7

Highs 32 or below = 0

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 0

1 hour ago, Kayla said:

The bc interior is in a world of hurt tonight.  That rain can’t come soon enough for them. At least 6 fires have grown to over 100,000 acres. 

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, ShawniganLake said:

The bc interior is in a world of hurt tonight.  That rain can’t come soon enough for them. At least 6 fires have grown to over 100,000 acres. 

Significant rain coming over the next 48 hours... that has to help.    I assume the blow up today is the result of wind ahead of the incoming trough.  

ecmwf-deterministic-nw-total_precip_inch-9244800.png

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TT-SEA said:

Significant rain coming over the next 48 hours... that has to help.  

ecmwf-deterministic-nw-total_precip_inch-9244800.png

Yep. Some nice trends for the southern interior for sure.   I’m sure it’ll rain next weekend on the coast as well.  We are going camping ⛺️ 

• iFred unpinned and unfeatured this topic