Washington State Weather Discussion

NWbyNW

Washington State Weather Discussion

A topic to discuss all the weather related news and info in Washington State.  From the west coast, to the eastern rolling hills.  From the depths of the Columbia to the heights of the Cascades!  This topic is for all of Washington State and the diverse environs within!

Currently 62F and very cloudy with some light misting.

We all really need this rain, especially the firefighters.   The forecast is trending cooler, at least for Everett and the north Puget Sound, for the rest of the week.  Let's hope it stays cool and gets wetter.  No 80F days shown and rain is now popping up more than just one day. 

Screen Shot 2021-08-16 at 4.30.53 PM.png

Well this is unfortunate.

The Twenty-Five Mile fire near Lake Chelan has burned over 9,000 acres now and is 0% contained.

[url=https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/level-3-evacuation-orders-issued-twenty-five-mile-fire/3SZDFNTANZADXODOWVTUTOADWY/]Article from KIRO 7[/URL]

On a positive note, forecasting models do seem to show cooler weather coming.  Hopefully we get some precipitation to help bring these fires down. 

I was told to maybe post this in another topic.  So trying it out.

In short, last Sunday I grabbed the weather forecasts from Seattle's top television news stations and I am simply comparing what they predicted, to what actually happened.  Here are the results for Friday.

NORTHWEST FORECAST CHAMPIONSHIP UPDATE

Seattle ended at 64/57 on Friday officially.  Let's check out how everyone did.  If they were too hot, I have a + and the number.  Too cold is a - and the number.  If correct they got an = sign.

OFFICIAL TOTALS: S - 82/60 M - 75/57 T - 67/54 W - 76/53 T - 78/56 F - 64/57 

KING

S- 84/60 +2/=

M- 74/59 -1/+2

T- 73/57 +6/+3

W- 82/60 +6/+7

T- 83/61 +5/+5

F- 86/62 +22/+5

S- 89/63

KOMO

S- 82/61 =/+1

M- 73/56 -2/-1

T- 73/57 +6/+3

W- 83/59 +7/+6

T- 79/60 +1/+4

F- 81/60 +17/+3

S- 78/59

KIRO

S- 83/60 +1/=

M- 72/55 -3/-2

T- 71/56 +4/+2

W- 78/59 +2/+6

T- 79/58 +1/+2

F- 78/59 +14/+2

S- 77/59 

S- 75/57

Q13

S- 83/61 +1/+1

M- 73/56 -2/-1

T- 73/57 +6/+3

W- 80/59 +4/+6

T- 79/59 +1/+3

F- 80/60 +16/+3

S- 77/59

S- 77/58

WEATHERUNDER

S- 81/61 -1/+1

M- 73/55 -2/-2

T- 72/56 +5/+2

W- 79/59 +3/+6

T- 79/59 +1/+3

F- 80/59 +15/+2

S- 77/57

S- 77/58

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cloud said:

A spectacular bust across the board for yesterday. Today will likely be the same.

Curious to know where you get your “official” number from? NWS had 66 for high for SEA yesterday. 

It is from Seatac International Airport.  The official station used for Seattle (for some reason). 

4 minutes ago, NWbyNW said:

It is from Seatac International Airport.  The official station used for Seattle (for some reason). 

Right, I understand that, I’m talk about which source? Like which source recorded a 64? Because NWS recorded 66F at SEA yesterday. 

https://www.wrh.noaa.gov/climate/monthdisp.php?stn=KSEA&p=temperature&mon=8&wfo=sew&year=2021

12 minutes ago, NWbyNW said:

It would appears you used Wunderground for your data for yesterday, that's where the 64 came from! I would not use that website much as the degree of variability may be off as I mentioned yesterday. 

Use the NWS/NOAA sites. 

1) Monthly/daily data https://www.wrh.noaa.gov/climate/monthdisp.php?stn=KSEA&p=temperature&mon=8&wfo=sew&year=2021

2) Minutes/hourly data: https://www.wrh.noaa.gov/mesowest/timeseries.php?sid=KSEA&num=168&banner=NONE&hfmetars=1

• 2 months later...

A wild weather day.  It started out unassuming, sunny and beautiful.   Then the wind came, sideways dumping rain, then it cleared up, got sunny again, then more rain, then it cleared up with a rainbow, then it got foggy and rainy, and it just kept going on and on like that. I reduced the image size so they won't take up so much site memory. 

2021-py.jpg

20y.jpg

Also check out these totally weird clouds.  Looking towards the Cascade Mountains and Everett, you can see them do a wave like shape.  They look to be between Everett and the Cascades, so maybe within the Snohomish Valley and up through Marysville and Arlington.  Very strange shape and they were mostly connected as one long motion.  Do these clouds have a name, anyone know what they are or how they are created?  I can only assume something to do with the topography.  They seemed to be moving north, while the clouds in the sky above we pushing eastward towards the mountains.

DSCN9378.JPG

DSCN9375.JPG

DSCN9376.JPG

DSCN9380.JPG

DSCN9377.JPG

DSCN9374.JPG

DSCN9379.JPG

DSCN9381.JPG

DSCN9382.JPG

• Like 5
  • scream 1

On 11/14/2021 at 5:34 PM, NWbyNW said:

Also check out these totally weird clouds.  Looking towards the Cascade Mountains and Everett, you can see them do a wave like shape.  They look to be between Everett and the Cascades, so maybe within the Snohomish Valley and up through Marysville and Arlington.  Very strange shape and they were mostly connected as one long motion.  Do these clouds have a name, anyone know what they are or how they are created?  I can only assume something to do with the topography.  They seemed to be moving north, while the clouds in the sky above we pushing eastward towards the mountains.

DSCN9378.JPG

DSCN9375.JPG

DSCN9376.JPG

DSCN9380.JPG

DSCN9377.JPG

DSCN9374.JPG

DSCN9379.JPG

DSCN9381.JPG

DSCN9382.JPG

Stratus weirdus

• lol 1

On 11/14/2021 at 5:34 PM, NWbyNW said:

DSCN9378.JPG

DSCN9375.JPG

DSCN9376.JPG

DSCN9380.JPG

DSCN9377.JPG

DSCN9374.JPG

DSCN9379.JPG

DSCN9381.JPG

DSCN9382.JPG

Great pics... I have never seen anything like that before.  

• Like 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

On 11/17/2021 at 3:57 PM, TT-SEA said:

Great pics... I have never seen anything like that before.  

On 11/17/2021 at 7:58 AM, Mr Marine Layer said:

Stratus weirdus

I have actually seen some similar low clouds a few times after a storm along the Santa Ana Mountains in Orange County, but not all shapes that were in the images above.

• Like 1

On 11/22/2021 at 1:50 AM, Dan the Weatherman said:

I have actually seen some similar low clouds a few times after a storm along the Santa Ana Mountains in Orange County, but not all shapes that were in the images above.

Oh, interesting.  I am curious as if anyone knows what they are called.  They might be something that forms at the base of mountain ranges?  Hmm. 

On 11/23/2021 at 11:18 PM, NWbyNW said:

Oh, interesting.  I am curious as if anyone knows what they are called.  They might be something that forms at the base of mountain ranges?  Hmm. 

Those are lenticular clouds! It's the same type of cloud as whenever you see Mt Rainier or Mt Baker with what looks like a "hat" on top. These form as a result of wind moving over mountains, however it's extremely rare to see them on the relatively low parts of the Cascades like in your pictures. I saw some pictures from the same day of some lenticular clouds over the Olympics, which is similarly rare, but I hadn't seen any from this section of the Cascades yet. Very nice capture! Definitely save these pics, because it could be years before you ever see that again here.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/28/2021 at 4:04 PM, Outpost54 said:

Those are lenticular clouds! It's the same type of cloud as whenever you see Mt Rainier or Mt Baker with what looks like a "hat" on top. These form as a result of wind moving over mountains, however it's extremely rare to see them on the relatively low parts of the Cascades like in your pictures. I saw some pictures from the same day of some lenticular clouds over the Olympics, which is similarly rare, but I hadn't seen any from this section of the Cascades yet. Very nice capture! Definitely save these pics, because it could be years before you ever see that again here.

Wow!  Awesome!! Thank you so much!  I will keep my eyes open for more rarities!  I didn't even know lenticular clouds could be so low to the ground and look like waves.  I always thought they had to be on a hilltop/mountaintop.  So that is very cool!  Thanks for sharing. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It is official.  120F is the new highest temperature record for Washington State.

Article

The reading was taken by the Department of Energy at the Hanford Nuclear Reservation on June 29, 2021, during a historic heatwave in the Pacific Northwest. The previous record of 118 degrees Fahrenheit was set in Wahluke, Wash., on July 24, 1918. 

Washington for the first time has a higher hottest temp record over Oregon.  During the past heat wave of 2021, Oregon reached 119F, which tied their record.  This also beats Idaho's record hot 118F.

• Sad 1
  • scream 1

On 2/10/2022 at 5:00 PM, NWbyNW said:

It is official.  120F is the new highest temperature record for Washington State.

Article

The reading was taken by the Department of Energy at the Hanford Nuclear Reservation on June 29, 2021, during a historic heatwave in the Pacific Northwest. The previous record of 118 degrees Fahrenheit was set in Wahluke, Wash., on July 24, 1918. 

Washington for the first time has a higher hottest temp record over Oregon.  During the past heat wave of 2021, Oregon reached 119F, which tied their record.  This also beats Idaho's record hot 118F.

Lytton BC hit 121F with the June heatwave

• 2 weeks later...

Insane!  Less than a ten mile difference and no elevation change.  Here is a photo from Everett, Washington.  The second photo is a 15 minute ferry ride across the water on Whidbey Island near Clinton, Washington!  It's a winter wonderland here with trees falling across the road meanwhile in Everett it is beautiful, sunny, and completely dry. All in the same day and less than ten miles apart!  That is crazy!  IMG_8798.thumb.jpg.f6ee7b89921a13a2ce4127e97630ce99.jpgDSCN0088.thumb.JPG.b7945d90a543a39fde6d44fcd01dbb32.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/21/2022 at 2:14 PM, NWbyNW said:

Insane!  Less than a ten mile difference and no elevation change.  Here is a photo from Everett, Washington.  The second photo is a 15 minute ferry ride across the water on Whidbey Island near Clinton, Washington!  It's a winter wonderland here with trees falling across the road meanwhile in Everett it is beautiful, sunny, and completely dry. All in the same day and less than ten miles apart!  That is crazy!  IMG_8798.thumb.jpg.f6ee7b89921a13a2ce4127e97630ce99.jpgDSCN0088.thumb.JPG.b7945d90a543a39fde6d44fcd01dbb32.JPG

Not exactly clear skies in the 2nd picture. 

• 1 month later...

April is off to a weird start.  Rain, hail, and possibly snow in some lowland areas.  Some decent snow for the mountains.  Any little bit helps for the summer. Look at these possible 48hr snow totals!  Oregon's mountains get buried!! 

Some decent accumulation in southeastern Washington around the Blue's as well.  

hrdps-washington-total_snow_10to1-9700000.thumb.png.5d2849d8248af8c40d701f83dc26c6ec.png

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello Washington Weather topic.  I'm using you has a historical record for big events.

A heatwave is about to enter the Pacific Northwest.  Oregon gets the brunt of it, but southern Washington and the southern Puget Sound get hit as well.  So does the Columbia Basin and Spokane.

Temps of 90+ will last roughly 4-5 days south of Seattle.  Tacoma could see a 100F day as well as some locations south of that.  Vancouver, WA may hit 101F on Tuesday.  Locations north of Seattle are forecast to be much cooler.  Starting with Everett, the peak hot temps are only in the mid 80s with most of the heat wave being in the low 80s and 70s.  North into Bellingham, temps may only be in the high 70s and low 80s.

The Tri-Cities will may see 100F plus temps every day for either days, starting Monday.  Sustained heat in the region can lead to brush fires. Spokane could see upwards of 4 days at 100F or hotter as well.  

Wildfires are pretty tame right now.  We'll see how it turns out this time next week.  There is currently only one fire that is over 1000 cars in Washington and Oregon combined.  There are, at the moment, no significant fires in either state.  All of the 'bigger' brush fires in Washington have been contained or controlled.  Oregon has a few uncontrolled fires, but all under 100 acres and one 1000 acre plus brush fire near Ontario. 

Smoke models are looking good currently with all smoke blowing eastward from California and Idaho.  No smoke over Washington or Oregon.  Alaska's wildfire smoke output has dissipated and not effecting the Pacific Northwest. 

Screen Shot 2022-07-24 at 2.29.59 PM.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Doiinko said:

That's a really good idea! Documenting events as they happen will be really nice to look back on in the future.

I hope so.  It stinks because a lot of the topics we had during cold snaps or the big heat wave have disappeared off the forum.  So hopefully a topic like this as a record keeper, will stick around. :)  Since no one is using them for my original intent, they will become little historic markers for each state! :D Feel free to contribute! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NWbyNW said:

I hope so.  It stinks because a lot of the topics we had during cold snaps or the big heat wave have disappeared off the forum.  So hopefully a topic like this as a record keeper, will stick around. :)  Since no one is using them for my original intent, they will become little historic markers for each state! :D Feel free to contribute! 

I'll try contributing as well!

• Like 1

For SeaTac, the NWS is currently forecasting:

Monday: 87

Tuesday: 95

Wednesday: 94

Thursday: 93

Friday: 91

Saturday: 85

Sunday: 83

Should this verify, this would tie 8 other heatwaves (July 2009, July 2018, July 2006, July/August 1965, July 1979, Late July/August 2015, August 1971 and August 1977) for the second longest streak of days at or above 90 degrees with 4 days. The longest streak is 5 days set in August 1981 and July 2015.

• Like 1

image.thumb.png.59c75a39030bba29a277b7f5f0b3c258.png

On 4/10/2022 at 9:23 AM, NWbyNW said:

April is off to a weird start.  Rain, hail, and possibly snow in some lowland areas.  Some decent snow for the mountains.  Any little bit helps for the summer. Look at these possible 48hr snow totals!  Oregon's mountains get buried!! 

Some decent accumulation in southeastern Washington around the Blue's as well.  

hrdps-washington-total_snow_10to1-9700000.thumb.png.5d2849d8248af8c40d701f83dc26c6ec.png

A recap of the snowstorm by Mark Nelsen: https://fox12weather.wordpress.com/2022/04/18/the-april-2022-bomb-cyclone-snowstorm/.

Snow totals from the event (I had 2" or so at my house)

image.thumb.png.5e24afc95e5dc93fc3797b115cdc1cc8.png

image.thumb.png.59c75a39030bba29a277b7f5f0b3c258.png

• Like 2

July 26, 2022.

Seattle broke a heat record today.  While not as hot as other places in the Pacific Northwest, it was hot for Seattle. As of 5 p.m. the high temperature at Seattle-Tacoma International Airport reached 94, exceeding the record set in 2018 of 92 degrees.

Olympia tied its high temperature record of 96 degrees while Bremerton's high temperature of 90 degrees exceeded its record of 86 degrees. Bellingham also beat their record today with a high of 90 degrees.  The previous record was 86 degrees.  No other major cities broke record in western Washington today. 

Eastern Washington hit many high temperatures, but it doesn't seem any records where broken.  NWS Spokane did make a statement saying that if Spokane were to hit 100 degrees for 5 days in a row, that would be a record.  The original record of 4 days was set July of 1928. East Wenatchee was the hot spot at 108 degrees followed by Wenatchee at 107, Ephrata at 107, Pomeroy at 106, and Kennewick at 106 degrees.

This week's heat wave could be considered a slow burn with an anticlimactic finish. We've experienced many dramatic ends to Western Washington heat waves when the marine push knocks the temperature down 24 degrees within 24 hours.

This time, however, the heat begrudgingly loses its grip on the area into the weekend.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, NWbyNW said:

July 26, 2022.

Seattle broke a heat record today.  While not as hot as other places in the Pacific Northwest, it was hot for Seattle. As of 5 p.m. the high temperature at Seattle-Tacoma International Airport reached 94, exceeding the record set in 2018 of 92 degrees.

Olympia tied its high temperature record of 96 degrees while Bremerton's high temperature of 90 degrees exceeded its record of 86 degrees. Bellingham also beat their record today with a high of 90 degrees.  The previous record was 86 degrees.  No other major cities broke record in western Washington today. 

Eastern Washington hit many high temperatures, but it doesn't seem any records where broken.  NWS Spokane did make a statement saying that if Spokane were to hit 100 degrees for 5 days in a row, that would be a record.  The original record of 4 days was set July of 1928. East Wenatchee was the hot spot at 108 degrees followed by Wenatchee at 107, Ephrata at 107, Pomeroy at 106, and Kennewick at 106 degrees.

This week's heat wave could be considered a slow burn with an anticlimactic finish. We've experienced many dramatic ends to Western Washington heat waves when the marine push knocks the temperature down 24 degrees within 24 hours.

This time, however, the heat begrudgingly loses its grip on the area into the weekend.

Some records in Eastern WA today: 

A RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 103 WAS SET AT ELLENSBURG WA TODAY. THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 99 SET IN 2018

A RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 111 WAS SET AT DALLESPORT WA TODAY. THIS TIES THE OLD RECORD OF 111 SET IN 1998.

• Like 1

Records for July 27th, 2022:

...RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE SET AT YAKIMA WA...

A RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 106 WAS SET AT YAKIMA WA TODAY.

THIS TIES THE OLD RECORD OF 106 SET IN 1998.

...RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE SET AT ELLENSBURG WA...

A RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 105 WAS SET AT ELLENSBURG WA TODAY.

THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 100 SET IN 2020.

Records set July 28th, 2022:

A RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 109 WAS SET AT ELLENSBURG WA TODAY.

THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 104 SET IN 2014.

A RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 107 WAS SET AT YAKIMA WA TODAY.

THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 105 SET IN 1971.

A RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 109 WAS SET AT PASCO WA TODAY.

THIS TIES THE OLD RECORD OF 109 SET IN 1934.

THE LOW TEMPERATURE AT OMAK WA TODAY WAS 73 DEGREES. THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 71 DEGREES SET IN 1998.

• scream 1

• 3 months later...

Wanted to share this as a reference for the future. :)

October record highs for Seattle

• 2022 – 88
  • 2021 – 69
  • 2020 – 72
  • 2019 – 64
  • 2018 – 72
  • 2015 – 73
  • 2010 – 67
  • 2005 – 69
  • 2000 – 77
  • 1995 – 69
  • 1990 – 66