September 2021 Observations and Discussion

Tom

We had a 105* heat index yesterday.  

Somebody throw me an autumn weather bone! 

• scream 1

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

3 hours ago, Clinton said:

Rain is moving in this morning and a Flash Flood Watch is in effect until tomorrow afternoon. I look to be in the zone for 3 to 5 inches. @Jayhawker85looks like you got a lot of rain this morning.

Yes i have! it started raining around 11pm last night and did not stop till about 730 this morning. No flooding issues yet since we have been so dry here lately, but that may change tonight with the flood watch 

• Like 2

I got a nice soaker this morning.  My total is 0.75" and there is a bit more popping up to the west.  This is on the high end of what models had been showing.

• Like 3

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

2.62" in my rain gauge this morning and it was very LOUD last night with the booming thunder...lol.  We may get more heavy rain here tonight and tomorrow morning but I expect heavier rains to be just south of me this time around.

Looking forward to the new LRC showing itself and fall weather soon!

• Like 3

23-24 seasonal snow total: 17.8" (as of 3/9/24)

8 minutes ago, mlgamer said:

2.62" in my rain gauge this morning and it was very LOUD last night with the booming thunder...lol.  We may get more heavy rain here tonight and tomorrow morning but I expect heavier rains to be just south of me this time around.

Looking forward to the new LRC showing itself and fall weather soon!

I've only had light to moderate rain here, maybe .25.  Have a feeling this mornings activity will push everything south of us tonight but the HRRR still shows a good hit.

48 minutes ago, Clinton said:

I've only had light to moderate rain here, maybe .25.  Have a feeling this mornings activity will push everything south of us tonight but the HRRR still shows a good hit.

Yeah, hope you get beneficial rain out of this. I thought you might be in a good position tonight so hopefully it doesn't skip past you.

• Like 1

23-24 seasonal snow total: 17.8" (as of 3/9/24)

Today's seemingly low-end event turned into a big overachiever for my area.  Widespread 1-2" of rain has fallen across the Cedar Rapids metro.

My total is 1.57".   😃

• Like 6
  • Rain 1

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

6 hours ago, CentralNebWeather said:

I feel for you.  We are only 64 degrees at 9 AM headed to a high of 75.  We actually have lows in the low 50's forecasted in the next week.  

This is when it gets hard.  Cool up north and sizzling down here. However, usually our winters aren’t so bad. But I think this one we’ll see a very different picture.  

See the recent post in the Climate Forum.  Nice article on the effects of a warmer arctic on the bitter cold in the lower 48.  

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2 hours ago, Andie said:

This is when it gets hard.  Cool up north and sizzling down here. However, usually our winters aren’t so bad. But I think this one we’ll see a very different picture.  

See the recent post in the Climate Forum.  Nice article on the effects of a warmer arctic on the bitter cold in the lower 48.  

Yeah you’re winters would be awesome since I’m not a cold weather fan. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Rainfall here was kind of lame compared to the northern part of my county which probably was the winner with the heaviest amounts in eastern Iowa of up to 2”+. This summer, like the past few, it’s been hard to get a direct hit. The first round today dropped .54” and the second round mostly missed with only .16” for a total of .70”. People within 10 miles west of here probably are wishing it would dry off, which it should. Nice rains here though, and finally just enough to green up the lawns at my place.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Sparky said:

Yeah you’re winters would be awesome since I’m not a cold weather fan. 

Well, by comparison they’re better but things have been changing.  Polar Vortex has found our address and I think this winter will match the last one.   
I’m preparing for a potential outage.  There’s no way they could have fixed their issues in less than a year.  
Keep your eyes on the southern plains after the first of the year.  Could be a repeat.  

• Like 1

When it rains it pours or at least that seems to be the case the last few years. I found this stat interesting.

Update...KC received 1.07" of rainfall today making for the 13th day this year with over an inch of rain. That is tied of the 3rd most on the 133-year record through this date. #Buckets https://twitter.com/NWSKansasCity/status/1433606836947546120

• Like 3
  • Storm 1
  • Rain 1

I can tell Fall is descending on the US.
The hummingbirds have returned from their summer nesting areas up north.  
They’re on  their way to the mountains in Mexico and Central America.  

More heat here, 98*, until Monday when we drop to 93*.  Not cool but hey, it’s all relative.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Andie said:

I can tell Fall is descending on the US.
The hummingbirds have returned from their summer nesting areas up north.  
They’re on  their way to the mountains in Mexico and Central America.  

More heat here, 98*, until Monday when we drop to 93*.  Not cool but hey, it’s all relative.  

Better than Phoenix

• Like 1

I moved to Southeast  Iowa in 2008.  I have my entire  life studied  weather and climate history.   Its particularly  interesting  in Mid Atlantic  as records and written  accounts  go back to the 1600s.  I have studied  historical  midwest data as to wild swings in yearly  precip here.  I researched  many location  in Iowa, Illinois, Missouri,  etc.  There seems to be a bermuda triangle  of extremes  in Ottumwa, IA city, Peroria, Kirksville where its even more exaggerated.   This year illustrates it. Burlington  has been the wettest as is climatology  expected with 31 inches. Ottumwa  is 2nd of major reporting  locations.  But in Aug Ottumwa  just .74!!!!!  And shockingly I hear  Fairfield  less than .25?   After Fairfield  basically  wettest location in Iowa  for 2 yrs!  I really believe  its tough to find a more feast or famine area than Southeast  Iowa.  Yes much of midwest  is similar,even nebraska. But  it seems to be slightly  more exaggerated  here.  Thoughts?

Screenshot_20210904-133441_Chrome.jpg

• Like 3

I finished the day with .90 in and my 2 day total was 1.15 one of the lowest in the area.

Louisiana is about to be targeted again first by a tropical low this upcoming week and then by a potentially major hurricane around the 14th. This time conditions should be favorable for the hurricane remnants to reach mby and move up into the lower lakes then on to the NE states. Man I feel horrible for those that keep getting hit over and over. The GFS is beginning to sniff this out.

image.thumb.png.892a4e64754e7aae6c004c12294a8ac2.png

• Like 2
  • Sad 2
  • Storm 1
  • scream 1

La. has had years like this if memory serves me.  It’s really hard as many will loose everything if they haven’t already.  Compounded with a pandemic and it’s just mind dumbing.  

Both here at my house and officially at GRR there was .05" of rain fall yesterday. That was the first rain at Grand Rapids since August 24th when just .06" fell and in the last 25 days there has been just 0.13" of total rain fall at GRR. At this time it is sunny here with a temperature of 69 with a dew point of 64. While it was indeed cool yesterday afternoon the dew point did reach 67 yesterday during the light rain/mist we had.

GFS is flashing pretty decent snow in Northern Ontario. Thought it was just a clown range thing, but it's showing it at Day 9 now. Always encouraging to see the first signs of a changing season, even if it's more gradual this year than it was last year.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Snow 1

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

1 hour ago, FAR_Weather said:

GFS is flashing pretty decent snow in Northern Ontario. Thought it was just a clown range thing, but it's showing it at Day 9 now. Always encouraging to see the first signs of a changing season, even if it's more gradual this year than it was last year.

When do they normally have their first snow of the fall?

Woo!   78* and a very nice rain!

Makes you want to run nek-ked out in the back yard! But I don’t want to scare the golfers! 😇

• Like 1
  • lol 1

8 hours ago, Mr Marine Layer said:

When do they normally have their first snow of the fall?

Kenora, the largest city within that region, receives 0.47 days of snowfall each September on average. October is their normal first, but September snows seem to happen every few years and are overall unsurprising.

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

There was 0.06" of rain fall both here at my house and officially at GRR. That brings the September total to 0.11" Going back to August 12 there has been just 0.19" of rain fall at GRR. Yesterdays official high at GRR was 81 and for the month we are just about average with a departure of -0.2° At this time it is clear here at my house and I have a temperature of 58.

• Like 2

I’m seeing Texas temps begin to vary and roller coaster between 93 and 98 week to week in Sept.   

This is typical Texas seasonal change in September and very encouraging that we’ll have a more normal Fall.  

I still expect a polar vortex dive in late January or February like last year.  I’m preparing for it now.   We don’t trust Texas power grid yet.  the article I posted in Climate  recently may explain it better.  

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/national-international/changing-climate/study-warmer-arctic-led-to-killer-cold-in-texas-much-of-us/2733607/

• Like 1