September 2021 Observations and Discussion

Tom

A week ago they said we might not hit 70 again this September.  Now it's 80 today.  Even short term forecasting is difficult.  I can't imagine anyone coming close to long range predictions accurately anytime soon.  You can look at the "signals" and "analogs" but it's all  guesses at this point.  I just want one big snow storm.  Is that too much to ask?   

• Like 1

Glad to see the GFS trending wetter and the Euro further east.  This could be some much needed rainfall later this week.  @TomI agree with you as this storm begins to take shape it looks more like the end of Oct storm you mentioned.  This should be a good rain producer and our next system after this should be part of a new pattern.

qpf_acc.us_mw.png

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

On 9/26/2021 at 6:22 PM, WBadgersW said:

So Jealous. I moved to San Antonio and our fall weather is 90°.

I hear ya brother!

I’m in Ft Worth.  
But get ready Feb. promises to be a lulu!

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

2 hours ago, FAR_Weather said:

This sh!t is happening every year. Getting really ridiculous.

Yeah, freaking annoying lol. I’m excited for cooler days and actual rain chances after tomorrow even if lows will be torching.

Snowfall in Lincoln, NE:

2017-18: 21.4"   2018-19: 55.5"   2019-20: 17.6"   2020-21: 49.4"   2021-22: 5.1" 🤮

Average: 26"

Hit 87F yesterday before the lake enhanced CF swept in and abruptly dropped temps into the 60's.  While the afternoon was quite warm, the evening was delightful and cool.  Its currently in the upper 50's around the area.  It might be the last time we have temps that warm for the rest of this season.  Looking forward to seeing temps in the upper 70's to near 80F for the rest of the week...warm days and cool nights...precip chances on the rise this weekend.

• Like 2

The overnight low here at my house was 51 the official overnight low looks to be 50 at GRR. Yesterdays high of 79 was a tie with 6 other years for the 13th warmest for the date. So far this September mean is 66.0 and that is a departure of +1.9. it will end up in the top half but will have to wait to see just where. At this time it is clear here and 53.

Here are some pics from my trip out west:  Enjoy!

PIC1: Flying over MI (Central MI to be exact)

PIC2: Building thunderstorm in the far distance

PIC3: Rocky Mountains

PIC4: Another view of the mountains

PIC5: Fast Food chain in Los Angeles. (Very popular) "Burgers were extremely good."

PIC6: Reception area after the wedding. View as you can see is extraordinary in the Goleta area (Santa Barbara).

PIC7: Church area in Goleta, CA.

PIC8: Pier walk, Goleta area, CA.

PIC9: View from the pier

PIC10: In this pic, just by looking at it, it brings you a cool, Pacific breeze at ya.

PIC11: Flying over LAX upon arrival.

Pic1.jpg

Pic2.jpg

Pic3.jpg

Pic4.jpg

Pic5.jpg

Pic6.jpg

Pic7.jpg

Pic8.jpg

Pic9.jpg

Pic10.jpg

Pic11.jpg

• Like 8

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024:

Season So Far: 26.7"

5 minutes ago, Niko said:

Here are some pics from my trip out west:  Enjoy!

PIC1: Flying over MI (Central MI to be exact)

PIC2: Building thunderstorm in the far distance

PIC3: Rocky Mountains

PIC4: Another view of the mountains

PIC5: Fast Food chain in Los Angeles. (Very popular) "Burgers were extremely good."

PIC6: Reception area after the wedding. View as you can see is extraordinary in the Goleta area (Santa Barbara).

PIC7: Church area in Goleta, CA.

PIC8: Pier walk, Goleta area, CA.

PIC9: View from the pier

PIC10: In this pic, just by looking at it, it brings you a cool, Pacific breeze at ya.

PIC11: Flying over LAX upon arrival.

Pic1.jpg

Pic2.jpg

Pic3.jpg

Pic4.jpg

Pic5.jpg

Pic6.jpg

Pic7.jpg

Pic8.jpg

Pic9.jpg

Pic10.jpg

Pic11.jpg

In N Out Burger rules!

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, james1976 said:

In N Out Burger rules!

Yes...phenomenal burgers! I had to get 2 of them to really get a real feel outta them. Lines are huge and looks deceiving when you first see it, but tbh, they have so many people working there all at once, which makes it move along nicely and b4 ya know it, you are there at the window paying your order.

• Like 4

April 2024:

12 hours ago, Niko said:

Yes...phenomenal burgers! I had to get 2 of them to really get a real feel outta them. Lines are huge and looks deceiving when you first see it, but tbh, they have so many people working there all at once, which makes it move along nicely and b4 ya know it, you are there at the window paying your order.

#animalstyle...they have In 'n Out Burger in Arizona as well...always packed and always gooood!  

• Like 1

It a cool 48 here at my house at this time. With just two days to go the mean for September at Grand Rapids is now at 65.8 that is a departure of +1.9 September will end up above average and looks to be in the top 25 warmest for the month. As for precipitation Grand Rapids official amount is now at 3.34" and that is above the average of 3.20.  Rain fall has been hit or miss across the area with Holland and Muskegon drier that average and Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo and Lansing wetter than average. 

• Like 2

Gorgeous morning here in the Detroit Metro Area. Lots of sunshine w temps holding in the nippy 50s.  Highs should top off in the uppers 60s to near 70F. 

Colors have already started to change.

• Like 2

April 2024:

Forecasts continues to call for anywhere from 1-3" of rain from tonight through Thursday night with other chances Friday night and Saturday.  Not great timing at all for the harvest.  I've talked to several who have been working some long hours trying to get a lot done before this occurs.  

• Sad 1

Forecast and models were off for the rain amounts.  Had a nice line of thunderstorms come through between 1-3:30 AM.  Were supposed to get 1-2" but I checked the gauge before I left for school and it says 0.60".  Probably good for the farmers that it wasn't much more than this.  It had gotten dry in the last 2 weeks so this is a nice rain.  Strong north wind with a temp in the low 50's felt wonderful after the last several days of 90's.  

• Like 5

Had .78" of rain overnight. We were right on the edge of the rain and storms as parts of west Omaha had nothing.

My wireless rain gauge showed 1.37" of rain with .80" in only 10 minutes!! Not sure why it was so off, but it seems to happen randomly. I always compare it to my good old fashioned Stratus rain gauge for the accurate number.

Now it's sunny and warm even though there was an 80% chance of rain today.

• Like 2

I mentioned heavy rain in the grids in the OCT thread and than removal of heavy rain for earlier today for Des Moines area.  Official climate for DSM so far is "TR".  Epic bust.

• Sad 1

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Rain/Thunderstorms sitting out west and as always that pushes our temps up. Sitting at 92*. Not too humid for Texas.
Dewpoint is 68*  It’s like the heat wants to put up a fight.  Typical of this area.  

Once the front pushes through around 8 this evening we’ll have 9-10 days in the 80’s with rain chances the next few days.  We’re all ready for a break.  
Summer sucked. 

• Like 1

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

That's a wrap!  It was one of the warmer Septembers in the past 70 years.  ORD ended up close to +4F (3.9F) in the temp dept and was rather dry (-1.96") with a total of 1.23" of rain.  While the month started off cooler than normal, for the most part, the month primarily torched in the 80's but no 90F+ temps this month.  There were some cool mornings but nothing outlandish.

In fact, this months stands out as one of the odd years where we haven't gone below 50F.  We have had a couple of them in recent years...

This is typically the time of year Chicago starts to see some crisp, chilly mornings, but that hasn't been the case so far this year! Since 1942, this Sept will go down as one of only 4 (1977, 2016, 2019 were other 3) where Chicago fails to see a low temp colder than 50F. #ILWX

• Like 1

Say it ain’t Snow!  ❄️ ⛄️ #SeptemberSnow

Ol’ Man Winter decided to make its presence in the mountains of the desert SW!  My goodness, but what a pleasant surprise to see this much snow so early in the season.  Sign of the times?  It’s wild to see this…on the last day of the Monsoon season nature has decided to go from Summer to Winter in a flash.  I visited this area earlier this year in May I believe it was.  In fact, I posted some picks of this ski resort.

• Like 1
  • Snow 1

Finished September  with just 1.16 rain. Pultry really. 2 straight months of  significantly  below avg precip, thats a first since aug 2018.   Although having a torrid warm September  it never reached 90f..   upper 80s many days though.. this  heat ridge  really is locked in on eastern Iowa.  😐 

• Sad 1

• Tom unpinned this topic