The Weather Forums

September Wx Obs for the PacNW (2021 Edition)

49 minutes ago, Eujunga said:

A better example might be if someone got impatient with people who continued to root for cold and snow even after an entire decade of unusually cold and snowy winters capped off by the coldest and snowiest in history, which caused mass devastation to crops, property, and the ecosystem.

My guess is that it's not just about preferring cold wet weather. It's about mourning the loss of a climate that provided the PNW with its uniquely beautiful environment, and perceiving people who cheer for yet more sun and warmth as being insensitive at least, or dancing on the grave of an perishing ecosystem at worst.

I know you kept residences in California and Oregon for many years, so surely you have noticed the Californication of the south valley climate, and how much things even in the past decade have changed. 

• Like 2

Snowfall                                  Precip

2020-21: 12.0"                        2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 

50 minutes ago, Eujunga said:

A better example might be if someone got impatient with people who continued to root for cold and snow even after an entire decade of unusually cold and snowy winters capped off by the coldest and snowiest in history, which caused mass devastation to crops, property, and the ecosystem.

My guess is that it's not just about preferring cold wet weather. It's about mourning the loss of a climate that provided the PNW with its uniquely beautiful environment, and perceiving people who cheer for yet more sun and warmth as being insensitive at least, or dancing on the grave of an perishing ecosystem at worst.

And as such, the climate changes is out of our control but if we can do anything to slow it down, we should. The earth during its lifetime have gone through many changes. I highly doubt that our ecosystem will perish or not perish during our lifetime but changes are expected. One of the more destructive events happening right now is the bleaching of the Great Barrier Reef, but there are also signs of regrowth with the latest reports. — the regrowth however will take decades!  A lot of this is thanks to us not disturbing the environment. 

I think our uniquely beautiful environment up here will find a way to recover if it needs to be that drastic. And I continue to hope that nothing major will happen where it is unrecognizable during our lifetime. 

14 minutes ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

I know you kept residences in California and Oregon for many years, so surely you have noticed the Californication of the south valley climate, and how much things even in the past decade have changed. 

Yeah, it's actually hit me personally harder than some. I chose the PNW as my retirement destination mainly because I love the trees, which weren't a native feature in SoCal. Eugene is already on the southern edge of the climate that could historically support a Douglas fir ecosystem, and my property's southwestern exposure makes it especially vulnerable to heat and drought damage. The destruction to the native vegetation over the last decade has been dismaying enough, and then this summer really delivered the knockout punch.

Oh, and my neighborhood's wells are all drying up, and the company that traditionally provides haul water during dry spells isn't returning calls. All this might make me a little short-tempered with the avid sun and warmth fans too!

• Sad 5
  • Sick 1

1 minute ago, snow_wizard said:

To put it mildly the 12z EPS was totally on board with a major pattern shift including rain and below normal temperatures.  This is starting to look pretty real.

I haven't posted the last few days, because I have a new job after 7 months of being laid off and I'm exhausted.  Hard to get back into the grind again.

Hopefully we can get that inside of 5 days. Pretty tired of seeing a juicy rain event 10 days out only to see it get pushed back again. See if we can get the Umpqua Basin fires and maybe even the Dixie Fire put out with an early storm.

4 minutes ago, Eujunga said:

Yeah, it's actually hit me personally harder than some. I chose the PNW as my retirement destination mainly because I love the trees, which weren't a native feature in SoCal. Eugene is already on the southern edge of the climate that could historically support a Douglas fir ecosystem, and my property's southwestern exposure makes it especially vulnerable to heat and drought damage. The destruction to the native vegetation over the last decade has been dismaying enough, and then this summer really delivered the knockout punch.

Oh, and my neighborhood's wells are all drying up, and the company that traditionally provides haul water during dry spells isn't returning calls. All this might make me a little short-tempered with the avid sun and warmth fans too!

We came from southern CA and chose the PNW for its natural beauty as well.   It would be really sad if the changes were that dramatic up here.   I understand how you feel.   Nobody is minimizing or celebrating the changes in the ecosystem down there when talking about our weather up here.    

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

4 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

To put it mildly the 12z EPS was totally on board with a major pattern shift including rain and below normal temperatures.  This is starting to look pretty real.

I haven't posted the last few days, because I have a new job after 7 months of being laid off and I'm exhausted.  Hard to get back into the grind again.

Congrats!   How far is your commute now?

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

10 minutes ago, Eujunga said:

It sounds like that area has really taken a major hit with this climate shift.  It would be heartbreaking to see that.

I think places like SW OR are in an area that are very prone to major ecosystem changes due to being in a borderline situation on both ends of the scale.  It has always amazed how different the Garry Oaks look down there than they do up for instance.  Up here they are scrawny things while down there they are quite majestic.  Just very different down there.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2021-22 stats

Total Snowfall = 0.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 0

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 30

Lows 32 or below = 1

Highs 32 or below = 0

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 0

4 minutes ago, Omegaraptor said:

Hopefully we can get that inside of 5 days. Pretty tired of seeing a juicy rain event 10 days out only to see it get pushed back again. See if we can get the Umpqua Basin fires and maybe even the Dixie Fire put out with an early storm.

Matt says it's coming... so it's coming! 

• Snow 1
  • Rain 2
  • Weenie 1

1 hour ago, Eujunga said:

Yeah, all that's well and good, but Jesse also had a history of sending come pretty vicious PMs over the years. Before he had to endure nearly a decade of really warm/dry summers.

The go f*ck yourself was pretty tame in comparison.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Snow 1
  • scream 1

A forum for the end of the world.

52 minutes ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

The interesting thing is only the summer has really changed that dramatically...and of course January.  All in all we have had a lot of ok winters beginning with 2006-07, and a few really good ones.

• Snow 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2021-22 stats

Total Snowfall = 0.0"

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 30

Lows 32 or below = 1

Highs 32 or below = 0

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 0

It's probably worth mentioning the 18z GFS strongly hinted at lowland frost late in the run with northerly gradients, a deep trough, and much below normal 850s.  I would love to see a notable cold snap this month.

• Like 3
  • Snow 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2021-22 stats

Total Snowfall = 0.0"

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 30

Lows 32 or below = 1

Highs 32 or below = 0

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 0

11 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

Yeah, all that's well and good, but Jesse also had a history of sending come pretty vicious PMs over the years. Before he had to endure nearly a decade of really warm/dry summers.

Yeah those PM’s were really something…I don’t think many here realize the history of Jesse and his massive anger driven PM’s along with his rude public posts. I really should have not engaged when he posted his reply to my enjoying the lovely day yesterday but I just couldn’t ignore it this time. I wish him the best in life, but I’m not going to miss his posts. 

• Like 6
  • Excited 1
  • Snow 1

15 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

It sounds like that area has really taken a major hit with this climate shift.  It would be heartbreaking to see that.

I think places like SW OR are in an area that are very prone to major ecosystem changes due to being in a borderline situation on both ends of the scale.  It has always amazed how different the Garry Oaks look down there than they do up for instance.  Up here they are scrawny things while down there they are quite majestic.  Just very different down there.

I can probably find some pictures of very old and big garry oaks from the Portland area. Oak savanna can occasionally be found here but there are more sites where it was preserved in the south valley. There's a hill SW of Lebanon visible from OSU that has oak savanna, and plenty of places around Eugene like Mt Pisgah. Not hard to imagine those places being chaparral during warmer times earlier in the Holocene.

Somewhat related question, is there any virgin ponderosa pine forest left west of the Cascade crest and north of the Willamette/Umpqua divide? The Redtail golf course and the library park here in Beaverton each have about 10-20 big established trees that have yellow puzzle piece bark like the ones east of the crest, but I'm not really aware of anything bigger than that. Not entirely sure but I've read it was pretty common prior to European settlement. You can see quite a few young ones around though, thanks to native tree replanting efforts.

I am guessing there were eras in the past in which we were basically just Ponderosa Pines and sagebrush down here in the south valley if you go back far enough?

• Snow 1

Springfield, Oregon cold season 21-22 Stats:

• Coldest high: 60F (Oct 13)
  • Coldest low: 32F (Oct 12)
  • Days with below freezing temps:1 (Most recent: Oct 12, 2021)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 0 (Most recent: Dec 24, 2020)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Last accumulating snowfall: February 27, 2019
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31F) *Longest streak without a sub-freezing high on record*
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 20.7"

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @358jerseys4hope

1 minute ago, TigerWoodsLibido said:

I am guessing there were eras in the past in which we were basically just Ponderosa Pines and sagebrush down here in the south valley if you go back far enough?

Probably chaparral ecosystem earlier in the Holocene. Its northernmost extent now is the Rogue Valley but I've read there were times it extended up into SW BC. Some plants like manzanita shrub and buckbrush still are native to the Willamette Valley.

Pacific ponderosa pine isn't a dry climate subspecies either, it's a Mediterranean climate subspecies and can grow in areas as wet as 70" of precip per year (think I-5 between Dunsmuir and Shasta Lake).

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

Congrats!  It was 13 months for me and I hear you on the struggles getting back into the grind.  I switched to a new industry in addition to a new job role, and I am still wiped by the end of the day even after 2 months.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eujunga said:

Being on a well that is a constant concern. Hopefully, once the rains return the water table will rise again. Being on a hill can make things tough in terms of wells. We're in kind of a draw along the ridge, so our well isn't as deep as some others in the area, and the water table usually stays a lot higher here, but it's always on my mind until the fall rains arrive and this year we've been very careful about not overwatering. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Omegaraptor said:

I can probably find some pictures of very old and big garry oaks from the Portland area. Oak savanna can occasionally be found here but there are more sites where it was preserved in the south valley. There's a hill SW of Lebanon visible from OSU that has oak savanna, and plenty of places around Eugene like Mt Pisgah. Not hard to imagine those places being chaparral during warmer times earlier in the Holocene.

Somewhat related question, is there any virgin ponderosa pine forest left west of the Cascade crest and north of the Willamette/Umpqua divide? The Redtail golf course and the library park here in Beaverton each have about 10-20 big established trees that have yellow puzzle piece bark like the ones east of the crest, but I'm not really aware of anything bigger than that. Not entirely sure but I've read it was pretty common prior to European settlement. You can see quite a few young ones around though, thanks to native tree replanting efforts.

The place I really notice the ponderosa in the Willamette Valley is along the low foothills of Linn County and up some of the creek/river basins like the South Santiam, Thomas Creek, Crabtree Creek, etc... 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

The interesting thing is only the summer has really changed that dramatically...and of course January.  All in all we have had a lot of ok winters beginning with 2006-07, and a few really good ones.

I would say spring has been notably drier, and fall overall the past decade has been a bit milder. Down here we've really been hitting the dry season/warm season by late April over the past 10ish years. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

The place I really notice the ponderosa in the Willamette Valley is along the low foothills of Linn County and up some of the creek/river basins like the South Santiam, Thomas Creek, Crabtree Creek, etc... 

Interesting stuff Andrew. After I move to Corvallis (only 11 days now!) I'll probably be out that way sometimes. Definitely will see it passing through to central OR and Mt Bachelor.

Google streetview shows a lot of ponderosa alongside Highway 226 in Linn County.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Omegaraptor said:

Interesting stuff Andrew. After I move to Corvallis (only 11 days now!) I'll probably be out that way sometimes. Definitely will see it passing through to central OR and Mt Bachelor.

Google streetview shows a lot of ponderosa alongside Highway 226 in Linn County.

More of us in the south valley!! Great news!! I’m not far away in Springfield.

• Like 1
  • Excited 1

• Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31F) *Longest streak without a sub-freezing high on record*

Personal Stats:

Venmo

2 minutes ago, Phil said:

Didn’t have any trade bursts this impressive last fall.

Upwelling about to kick into high gear.

C8594C2A-942C-4CFA-98A2-11462FB87428.gif

We're almost into the time of year when we all get excited over SSWe's as well. Maybe this year they will produce the goods? 

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, GHweatherChris said:

This forum is starting to resemble a overly sensitive, my feelings are easily hurt Facebook Group type vibe with specific rules of conduct. 

Seven years of second chances isn’t overly sensitive.

if you’re really bothered by it you can DM me and we can discuss it.

11 minutes ago, luminen said:

We're almost into the time of year when we all get excited over SSWe's as well. Maybe this year they will produce the goods? 

Yep. The winter stratospheric PV has already developed. Summer is running on borrowed time.

• Like 1
  • Excited 1

35 minutes ago, Omegaraptor said:

I don't know how much you like roaming around random rural areas, but the country between Scio and Sweet Home is beautiful. McDowell Creek Falls, Lacomb area, Roaring River Park and Fish Hatchery. You'll see a lot of turkeys too. 

• Like 4

00z GFS - 10 Day GIF: 500mb Height Anomaly, 10 Day Rainfall totals, 10 Day Snowfall totals

BIG pattern change on the way in 6-7 days turning wet, and snow accumulating for a few locations in the Cascades? 😮 The overall pattern looks like full blown La Nina conditions. Long range is even wetter/snowier! C'MON!!!!
floop-gfs-2021090900.500h_anom_na.gif
qpf_acc.us_nw.png
sn10_acc.us_nw.png
  • Like 4
  • Rain 3

1 hour ago, TT-SEA said:

We came from southern CA and chose the PNW for its natural beauty as well.   It would be really sad if the changes were that dramatic up here.   I understand how you feel.   Nobody is minimizing or celebrating the changes in the ecosystem down there when talking about our weather up here.    

I understand that, but I'm not sure Jesse did.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Deweydog said:

How’s your mother in law doing?

Still in the hospital. She gets nauseated and vomits whenever she gets up to walk around. They have her on blood thinners but she seems to be having memory problems. When I helped her 2 days ago she clearly had hit her head around her orbital and I think combined with the heart attack and clots in the heart and lungs it’s going to be a long recovery process. Once she is home I really want us all to move because we can’t all help her unless me, my wife and her sister can all take care of her. My wife’s sister has the more stable and better-paying gig in downtown Indianapolis so we would be leaving here. But selling the house here then buying a house over there and moving everything over there is going to be a long process.

If she dies then my wife and I don’t make enough money to pay the mortgage on this place so my wife would quit her job so we could go through both houses and then move to Indiana.

• Sad 15

Personal Stats:

Venmo

4 minutes ago, GHweatherChris said:

Lots of weiners being shown on the forum tonight, classy.

I feel like you are the only one who cares. 

1 hour ago, Front Ranger said:

Make no mistake, I found his behavior difficult to cope with at times, too. It's why I was absent from the forum for most of the last year. I was just speculating as to why it may have been worse lately.

• iFred unpinned this topic