The Weather Forums

September Wx Obs for the PacNW (2021 Edition)

2 hours ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

The road up to Anderson is open again? It's been closed most of this year! I assume you went up via Parsons Creek and Alger Mountain roads?

Thats the one! According to people on the NWhikers forum the road is open from sept. 1 to dec. 31 annually. 

2 hours ago, Tyler Mode said:

These are beautiful!  Drive?  Hike?

Thank you! It was mostly a drive then about a 1 mile hike to/around the summit

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Cloud said:

So really interesting winds aloft at the coast. You can see the split in the winds direction. 

I think its upper level virga and lower level showers... so different wind directions at different levels.   But the weather today has been unusually disorganized.  

• Like 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

53 minutes ago, BLI snowman said:

With Monday's EF0 tornado in Battle Ground, Clark County recorded its 14th tornado since 1950. That puts them in the lead for the PNW. Spokane County is in 2nd place with 13 recorded tornadoes.

So (in essence) Battle Ground is Moore, OK and Spokane is OKC

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, BLI snowman said:

With Monday's EF0 tornado in Battle Ground, Clark County recorded its 14th tornado since 1950. That puts them in the lead for the PNW. Spokane County is in 2nd place with 13 recorded tornadoes.

I was up there today and you can see where it crossed SR 503 pretty clearly.  A couple trees laying on the guardrail and a few hundred feet of small tree debris lining the shoulders.  Very distinct.

• Like 3
  • Excited 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

59/51 today first sub 60 high of the fall. Still only 0.01” so far today but the radar is looking pretty promising for some real rainfall. 

• Like 1

Monthly rainfall-2.71”

Cold season rainfall-2.71”

Sub 40 highs-0

Sub 32 highs-0

Sub 32 lows-0

Snowfall-0.0”

Coldest High-51

Coldest Low-35

3 hours ago, RentonHillTC said:

Tacoma is great! The freeway traffic and construction is just an ever present downer though. I’m sure it will be great when it’s done in 2054. 

I was born in 1973 and that stretch of freeway by the Tacoma Dome has been under construction every year of my life and will be for the rest of my life.  Must be a lot of graft and corruption with those projects.  "Okay boys, we're just about done, let's dig it all up and do something else.  Leroy, you got the barriers and white paint?  Let's make some new lanes and slow the traffic down."

• Like 2
  • Excited 1
  • lol 1

4 hours ago, BLI snowman said:

We have a weak one every now and then. Our dust devils tend to be more ferocious.

You’re goddam right!

A0E6B157-5243-4E2C-8BF9-CA35C283ACEA.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Excited 2

Springfield, Oregon cold season 21-22 Stats:

• Coldest high: 58F (Oct 18)
  • Coldest low: 32F (Oct 12)
  • Days with below freezing temps:1 (Most recent: Oct 12, 2021)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 0 (Most recent: Dec 24, 2020)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Last accumulating snowfall: February 27, 2019
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31F) *Longest streak without a sub-freezing high on record*
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall: February 27, 2019
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 20.7"

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @358jerseys4hope

21 hours ago, snow_wizard said:

A 12 degree difference for high temps in the Central Puget Sound area tomorrow ECMWF vs GFS.  The GFS has been insistent on record or near record low max temps tomorrow.  It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Well. Who won. Ecmwf or gfs

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Spiritual Chris WX said:

Coming down pretty good right now here in Southern Lacey area

Nice to have someone representing the Olympia area. 

• Storm 1

Monthly rainfall-2.71”

Cold season rainfall-2.71”

Sub 40 highs-0

Sub 32 highs-0

Sub 32 lows-0

Snowfall-0.0”

Coldest High-51

Coldest Low-35

Right now Saturday looks great with lows upper 30s to mid 40s, highs in the 60s, and lots of sunshine.  Sounds good after a good soaking.

The models still look interesting for the potential for a nice GOA block next week.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2021-22 stats

Total Snowfall = 0.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 0

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 30

Lows 32 or below = 1

Highs 32 or below = 0

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 0

25 minutes ago, ShawniganLake said:

Well. Who won. Ecmwf or gfs

Kind of the middle.  The GFS had been going for 53 and the ECMWF low to mid 60s.  SEA ended up at 58.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2021-22 stats

Total Snowfall = 0.0"

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 30

Lows 32 or below = 1

Highs 32 or below = 0

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 0

29 minutes ago, Spiritual Chris WX said:

Models showing it drying up tomorrow in the evening around 5-7 pm across the Puget Sound as ridging starts to build in.

I was going to comment on how extraordinarily fast the models cut off the precip behind the front.  Very unlike the previous one.

• Sun 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2021-22 stats

Total Snowfall = 0.0"

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 30

Lows 32 or below = 1

Highs 32 or below = 0

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 0

From 1W (1Weather) Western WA LRC Forecast 

October 3-9th Temps this week will run near average. There will be two or three days with a chance of showers. The rest of week will be dry.

Oct 10-16th There will be two or three days with a chance of showers. Otherwise. it will be dry week with average temps.

Oct 17-23rd Temps this week will run from slightly above to below average. Two or three days will have an chance of rain some snow is possible at higher elevation. 

Oct 24-30th Temps this week will run much below average. There will be one or three days with a chance of rain and mountain snow.

Forecasts do go through the week of Dec-12th-19th. 

Wonder if anyone has payed attention much to their long range forecasts on here.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

I was going to comment on how extraordinarily fast the models cut off the precip behind the front.  Very unlike the previous one.

It's because the trough bringing the rain is being lifted out to the northeast very quickly and completely washing out.    As opposed to digging inland to the southeast 

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

45 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

Right now Saturday looks great with lows upper 30s to mid 40s, highs in the 60s, and lots of sunshine.  Sounds good after a good soaking.

I am doubting the sunshine part of this equation.   ECMWF hangs middle level clouds over western WA all weekend now despite keeping the rain to the north. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Spiritual Chris WX said:

From 1W (1Weather) Western WA LRC Forecast 

October 3-9th Temps this week will run near average. There will be two or three days with a chance of showers. The rest of week will be dry.

Oct 10-16th There will be two or three days with a chance of showers. Otherwise. it will be dry week with average temps.

Oct 17-23rd Temps this week will run from slightly above to below average. Two or three days will have an chance of rain some snow is possible at higher elevation. 

Oct 24-30th Temps this week will run much below average. There will be one or three days with a chance of rain and mountain snow.

Forecasts do go through the week of Dec-12th-19th. 

Wonder if anyone has payed attention much to their long range forecasts on here.

I think it's going to be cooler than that.  The last few ensemble runs have shown temps below normal for a solid week during week 2 of October.  A lot of members going below 0C now.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2021-22 stats

Total Snowfall = 0.0"

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 30

Lows 32 or below = 1

Highs 32 or below = 0

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 0

• iFred unpinned this topic