The Weather Forums

September Wx Obs for the PacNW (2021 Edition)

8 hours ago, Phil said:

Kayla is gonna torch like crazy with this pattern. Looks warmer in Bozeman than Atlanta next week. 😵

Meh, low to mid 70’s isn’t that unheard of for this time of year and lows look to stay near freezing which is nothing like Atlanta. And if it’s gonna torch I’d rather see it now.😈

Last couple of years it’s been snowing this time of year and look where that got us. I know it’s controversial, but very early season major cold waves are a bad sign for winter out here.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Cold Season 2021/22:

Total snowfall: 16.0"

Highest daily snowfall: 16.0"

Highest snow depth: 15.0"

Coldest high: 29.7º

Coldest low: 25.3º

Number of subzero days: 0

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

A couple days ago... the models all showed the rain about 1,000 miles to our northwest up in the GOA on Saturday.   I was thinking we had a nice cushion for a decent weekend.   Just 48 hours later and the models now show it raining in western WA already by Saturday afternoon.   That was an unusually massive shift in a short time frame.

ecmwf-deterministic-nw-precip_3hr_inch-3226400.png

• Sick 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Well our wind finally decided to show up, holy hell!  I can't remember the last time we had this many power issues.  I know we had at least 2 full on outages, and a ton of brownouts that were severe enough to trigger my UPS to kick on.

power notifications.png

• Like 3
  • scream 1

1 hour ago, TT-SEA said:

A couple days ago... the models all showed the rain about 1,000 miles to our northwest up in the GOA on Saturday.   I was thinking we had a nice cushion for a decent weekend.   Just 48 hours later and the models now show it raining in western WA already by Saturday afternoon.   That was an unusually massive shift in a short time frame.

ecmwf-deterministic-nw-precip_3hr_inch-3226400.png

I’m disappointed Tim…You said summer was returning this weekend. 
Up to .23” on the day! 

4 minutes ago, MossMan said:

I’m disappointed Tim…You said summer was returning this weekend. 
Up to .23” on the day! 

Yeah... not happening.    We are in a pattern in which troughs get stronger as the timing gets closer.   Sometimes its the opposite... but not now.

• Like 2
  • Snow 1
  • Rain 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

1 hour ago, MossMan said:

It was a dark and stormy late September morning…

Woke up to wind gusts rocking the house around 5am, strongest of the season.
Now it’s raining quite heavily.  

.15” so far on the day, 5.52” for the month. 

Had a low of 58 this morning and still in the warm sector at 60.  .30" so far today, 5.34" for the month and 37.77" for the year.  With the sunny weekend no longer on tap I may not get another mowing in this season.  Pushing 6 inches this month and it's starting to create some squishy ground out there.  I hate making rooster tails when I mow.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chewbacca Defense said:

Well our wind finally decided to show up, holy hell!  I can't remember the last time we had this many power issues.  I know we had at least 2 full on outages, and a ton of brownouts that were severe enough to trigger my UPS to kick on.

power notifications.png

Seeing how you left my email unread, you are not tired of struggling.

• Like 1
  • lol 2

11 hours ago, Spiritual Chris WX said:

From 1W (1Weather) Western WA LRC Forecast 

October 3-9th Temps this week will run near average. There will be two or three days with a chance of showers. The rest of week will be dry.

Oct 10-16th There will be two or three days with a chance of showers. Otherwise. it will be dry week with average temps.

Oct 17-23rd Temps this week will run from slightly above to below average. Two or three days will have an chance of rain some snow is possible at higher elevation. 

Oct 24-30th Temps this week will run much below average. There will be one or three days with a chance of rain and mountain snow.

Forecasts do go through the week of Dec-12th-19th. 

Wonder if anyone has payed attention much to their long range forecasts on here.

They're always fun to track but unless there is a serious methodology, they end up like hourly CFS runs or the Farmer's Almanac.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RentonHillTC said:

I am watching a wall approach. trying to capture it on time-lapse. lets hope phone doesnt fall out the window lmao

Rained hard in sheets briefly but the sky has brightened up. There’s a lull inbetween the leading edge of the front and the main bulk of the rain behind it kind of interesting. 

Monthly rainfall-2.71”

Cold season rainfall-2.71”

Sub 40 highs-0

Sub 32 highs-0

Sub 32 lows-0

Snowfall-0.0”

Coldest High-51

Coldest Low-35

5 hours ago, Kayla said:

Meh, low to mid 70’s isn’t that unheard of for this time of year and lows look to stay near freezing which is nothing like Atlanta. And if it’s gonna torch I’d rather see it now.😈

Last couple of years it’s been snowing this time of year and look where that got us. I know it’s controversial, but very early season major cold waves are a bad sign for winter out here.

Same here. Our coldest temps are in October now.

• Sad 1

Springfield, Oregon cold season 21-22 Stats:

• Coldest high: 58F (Oct 18)
  • Coldest low: 32F (Oct 12)
  • Days with below freezing temps:1 (Most recent: Oct 12, 2021)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 0 (Most recent: Dec 24, 2020)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Last accumulating snowfall: February 27, 2019
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31F) *Longest streak without a sub-freezing high on record*
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 20.7"

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @358jerseys4hope

Sweet!

GFS Precip Totals.png

• Like 4
  • Excited 1
  • Rain 1

Springfield, Oregon cold season 21-22 Stats:

• Coldest high: 58F (Oct 18)
  • Coldest low: 32F (Oct 12)
  • Days with below freezing temps:1 (Most recent: Oct 12, 2021)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 0 (Most recent: Dec 24, 2020)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31F) *Longest streak without a sub-freezing high on record*
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 20.7"

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @358jerseys4hope

It’s dark and wet out there.

According to temps log I’ve experienced colder night temps than this morning but I was pretty much forced to close the windows for the first time in a while because it got quite “chilly”

Back edge of the rain has moved through Bellingham, .80" since midnight, wind is picking up again (nowhere near last night) and currently 53 after being at 63 at some point overnight.

8 minutes ago, Omegaraptor said:

Just overcast here in Corvallis. Screwed by latitude it looks like. Looks like most of western WA is getting rain.

Same old same old, except long-range models are providing some reason to hope that the relentless N/S gradient may just be a transitional phase this year and not a recurring feature all winter like it was last year.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Eujunga said:

Same old same old, except long-range models are providing some reason to hope that the relentless N/S gradient may just be a transitional phase this year and not a recurring feature all winter like it was last year.

Even Portland is going to miss out on this one. Maybe a few hundredths of an inch or so. Meaningless. 50 miles makes all the difference. Latitude is king today like it has been for most of the last 24 months. 

15 minutes ago, Joshua Lake Oswego said:

Even Portland is going to miss out on this one. Maybe a few hundredths of an inch or so. Meaningless. 50 miles makes all the difference. Latitude is king today like it has been for most of the last 24 months. 

Portland’s at 3.66” Salem’s at 2.83” and Eugene is at 2.54” of rain for the month all above normal. By your posts you’d assume it’s bone dry but it’s not like it hasn’t been raining down there…some of those totals aren’t too far off the totals in western WA. Still need a lot more to make up for the deficit from the spring and summer down south but it’s hard to be upset when it’s been plenty wet still and I’m sure we will get plenty more rain this fall/winter with a decent La Niña. 

• Like 4

Monthly rainfall-2.71”

Sub 40 highs-0

Sub 32 highs-0

Sub 32 lows-0

Snowfall-0.0”

Coldest High-51

Coldest Low-35

23 minutes ago, SouthHillFrosty said:

I am in Bellevue today for a meeting and it had some “killer mist rain”

C6FCD2E5-BF94-4D1F-B925-3B4F47E11ADE.jpeg

Traffic coming down wasn’t great but it wasn’t horrific either…However northbound both on 405 & I-5 looked horrifying as I was heading down…Going to be a long drive back in a bit. 

10 minutes ago, TacomaWaWx said:

Portland’s at 3.66” Salem’s at 2.83” and Eugene is at 2.54” of rain for the month all above normal. By your posts you’d assume it’s bone dry but it’s not like it hasn’t been raining down there…some of those totals aren’t too far off the totals in western WA. Still need a lot more to make up for the deficit from the spring and summer down south but it’s hard to be upset when it’s been plenty wet still and I’m sure we will get plenty more rain this fall/winter with a decent La Niña. 

Corvallis is at 1.41”

4 minutes ago, Omegaraptor said:

Corvallis is at 1.41”

That’s interesting…especially considering Eugene is like 30 or 40 miles south and has over an inch more. Still though even that’s probably pretty close to average. 

Monthly rainfall-2.71”

Sub 40 highs-0

Sub 32 highs-0

Sub 32 lows-0

Snowfall-0.0”

Coldest High-51

Coldest Low-35

18 minutes ago, TacomaWaWx said:

Kind of seems like he is trying to take up Jesse's mantle where even when it's pouring down rain and we have more fall-like systems on the horizon, it's still not good enough and he will continue to complain about the lack of rain.

Granted, I obviously don't live down in OR so I might not fully understand what the amount of precip (or lack thereof) might do on a person's psyche but his posts always seem like the end is nigh when it comes to rainfall. 

Weather station: https://maplevalleywx.com

13 minutes ago, hawkstwelve said:

Kind of seems like he is trying to take up Jesse's mantle where even when it's pouring down rain and we have more fall-like systems on the horizon, it's still not good enough and he will continue to complain about the lack of rain.

Granted, I obviously don't live down in OR so I might not fully understand what the amount of precip (or lack thereof) might do on a person's psyche but his posts always seem like the end is nigh when it comes to rainfall. 

Atleast he’s much more polite. Idk maybe I should just leave him alone but it seems funny to me how PDX had 1.31” on 9/18…1.14” on 9/19 then 0.87” literally 3 days ago but only getting a “couple hundredths of an inch” (likely will be more than that today) is a disappointment. 

• Like 2

Monthly rainfall-2.71”

Sub 40 highs-0

Sub 32 highs-0

Sub 32 lows-0

Snowfall-0.0”

Coldest High-51

Coldest Low-35

• iFred unpinned this topic