Feb 1st Southern Lakes/Ohio Valley Winter Storm

DominicR

A mod winter storm passing through southern Lakes today will bring a narrow swath of 3-8 inches across SE IA/N/C IL/NW IN/MI today and tonight and some possible freezing rain/mix in N-C IL and parts of N IN.

Discuss......

**Please if anyone effected if you could post pics and or videos of the storm that be much appreciated! Really love to keep a great archive of these winter storms long time from now. I just got my new camera so I will be uploading videos throughout the day and future major weather events.

If you are willing to add your location in "member profile" so we get know where your location is for the discussion that be great!

http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid=DVN&product=NCR&overlay=11101111&loop=yes

Edit* Looks like there is a lot of redevelopment South West of the area, possibly bringing in some more snow? Looks like mostly light snow, with some pocket of moderate to even heavy snow! It may travel South of us, but as of now it looks like it is moving N/NE so maybe we can tag on another couple inches?

http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid=DVN&product=NCR&overlay=11101111&loop=yes

Edit* Looks like there is a lot of redevelopment South West of the area, possibly bringing in some more snow? Looks like mostly light snow, with some pocket of moderate to even heavy snow! It may travel South of us, but as of now it looks like it is moving N/NE so maybe we can tag on another couple inches?

That's what I am thinking NAM/GFS brings in another 2-3 inches in NE IL throughout day with pockets of 4 inches City more so south.

Relax I think it will fill in from SW in the next couple of hrs for additional 2-4 inches mainly I-80 south.

Haha my bad, you saw it as well! Hopefully we can tag on some more snow, but as you said, it does look like the main heavy snow will stick South of the I-88/I-80 corridors. 

That's what I am thinking NAM/GFS brings in another 2-3 inches in NE IL throughout day with pockets of 4 inches City more so south.

I would be beyond happy, but I have to say this system did produce around 3-5" here so with another 2-3" I would be very happy! :)

Wow Geos - One of the first times all seaon you don't have one of the highest snowfall reports.  You know something went wrong when that happens.

Actually it was 2.4". Little -SN now, but it's not going to last long. Ratio is low.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

Feeling pretty good in the D right now! =)  Its been Moderate to Heavy Snow since just before 8am. I have between 3 and 4 new on the ground and the radar returns are dark blue indicating some very Heavy Snow yet to move thru. It is wet but were holding steady at 27 degrees so im hoping to fend off the Rain/Frzg Rain predictions. I am suprised to see it so dried up to my West and SW. Is this thing just not going to be as long duration as was thought? Was supposed to go until Midnight tonight..

Radar picked up by me in Buffalo grove and am now getting moderate snow with large flakes. I think I can squeeze out another 1-2 because radar western IL, is filling in. If it can move more NE, I think a lot of us can see an inch or two more

Looks like that blob that may have been coming our way will stay south of most of us, disappointing will measure when the snow is complete, likely around 4 inches

Edited by ChiTownWeather

If that precip doesn't change over in SE MI, you still have a long way to go before its over.  I think your area may be right on the edge but with the heavier returns showing up that may keep it from changing over to freezing rain/sleet.  Your spot may be the jackpot for this storm.  Wouldn't be surprised you pass 10".

Managed another 0.1". Currently have granular snow falling. Must be milder air trying to intrude into the column.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"