October 2021 Observations and Discussion

Tom

As we near the time of year when the seasons really begin to change, is nature going to serve up timely changes for the month of October???  The modeling is surely pointing that way as we near the end of September.  Using the idea of the LRC that Gary Lezak has developed, we look forward to seeing a new cyclical pattern setting up in the early parts of October.  Right on cue, the modeling is illustrating something different and a potentially big clue to what this month could have in store.  Will there be troughs galore that dig into the west/southwest???  High Lat Blocking???  If you have been paying attn to the recent shifts in the modeling, there are some fascinating things showing up.

First off, what is becoming evidently clear, this month is going to feature immense blocking across the majority of Canada.  Let's focus in on the Oct 6th/7th time frame when we usually witness the 1st few days of the new LRC pattern setting up over the mid lats.  The latest GFS is suggesting one hellova blocked up pattern of N.A....

gfs_z500a_namer_34.png

It's not just the GFS, the almighty Euro is also on top of it...

ecmwf_z500a_namer_9.png

It is my personal opinion, I believe that we are going to see an extraordinarily active storm track farther south than normal next month into So Cal compared to recent years.  If you recall, we had the storms track into the west, but they did farther north, thus leading to many hard cutters.  We lacked the blocking but not the storms....this year, however, we will have the Blocking along with Storms...a much different wx pattern is dialing up.  When was the last time we saw a map like this???  The 1st major storm of the new LRC is showing up on the models to target the west around the 9th-11th period.  Who's ready for storm tracking??  The Rockies and Sierra's are going to get hit by Ol' Man Winter...the lower Sierra's are looking mighty fine.

1.gif

This is not going to be a "one and done" scenario...if the Euro Weeklies are right, it's just the beginning...a Fast start to winter is heading for the mountains and ski resorts in the west.  How about our Sub???  The LR signals I have been studying are showing up for a mid/late Oct push towards colder/active wx.  1st snows this month???  It is very likely that by Halloween we will indeed see some peeps on here see accumulating snows.  Let's discuss and join together in what will be a lively Sub Forum!

2.png

• Like 4
  • Excited 2

1 hour ago, Tom said:

As we near the time of year when the seasons really begin to change, is nature going to serve up timely changes for the month of October???  The modeling is surely pointing that way as we near the end of September.  Using the idea of the LRC that Gary Lezak has developed, we look forward to seeing a new cyclical pattern setting up in the early parts of October.  Right on cue, the modeling is illustrating something different and a potentially big clue to what this month could have in store.  Will there be troughs galore that dig into the west/southwest???  High Lat Blocking???  If you have been paying attn to the recent shifts in the modeling, there are some fascinating things showing up.

First off, what is becoming evidently clear, this month is going to feature immense blocking across the majority of Canada.  Let's focus in on the Oct 6th/7th time frame when we usually witness the 1st few days of the new LRC pattern setting up over the mid lats.  The latest GFS is suggesting one hellova blocked up pattern of N.A....

gfs_z500a_namer_34.png

It's not just the GFS, the almighty Euro is also on top of it...

ecmwf_z500a_namer_9.png

It is my personal opinion, I believe that we are going to see an extraordinarily active storm track farther south than normal next month into So Cal compared to recent years.  If you recall, we had the storms track into the west, but they did farther north, thus leading to many hard cutters.  We lacked the blocking but not the storms....this year, however, we will have the Blocking along with Storms...a much different wx pattern is dialing up.  When was the last time we saw a map like this???  The 1st major storm of the new LRC is showing up on the models to target the west around the 9th-11th period.  Who's ready for storm tracking??  The Rockies and Sierra's are going to get hit by Ol' Man Winter...the lower Sierra's are looking mighty fine.

1.gif

This is not going to be a "one and done" scenario...if the Euro Weeklies are right, it's just the beginning...a Fast start to winter is heading for the mountains and ski resorts in the west.  How about our Sub???  The LR signals I have been studying are showing up for a mid/late Oct push towards colder/active wx.  1st snows this month???  It is very likely that by Halloween we will indeed see some peeps on here see accumulating snows.  Let's discuss and join together in what will be a lively Sub Forum!

2.png

What a promising start to the new pattern.  Now the question becomes will the blocking show up in each cycle, if it does it will be a great winter!

• Like 3

• Tom pinned this topic
21 minutes ago, someweatherdude said:

Based on the 12z GFS, 8 out of the next 10 days in KC will be above normal temps.  The two that are below normal are only because of expected rain on those days.   Last year, Sept. and Oct. were both below normal here, and then things flipped for November though January.  So I suppose there's nothing really to be gleaned from a warm start to Autumn.  But it's still a bit concerning/frustrating.  

We've had snow the last 3 October's and that has not translated to a snowy winter. The good news is we have storms and blocking showing up to start October and let's wait and see what the temps do once we're in October. I have a feeling several of those storms showing up will wrap in some cool air.

• Like 4

TOP Fun facts to set the table....

Here in TOP we've had measurable snow the last four October's (2017-2020: 0.4", 0.5", 1.5", 0.6") after having no measurable snow in the previous twenty (1997-2016)! Oct 1996 had 8.0" which was the year of the "October Surprise".

Six of the last seven winters here have seen less than one foot of snow (seasonal avg = 17"):

• 14-15: 10.3"
  • 15-16:  4.9"
  • 16-17:  6.6"
  • 17-18:  8.1"
  • 18-19: 27.1" (yay!)
  • 19-20: 11.7"
  • 20-21: 11.3"

That's exactly 80" of total snow over the past seven winters (avg=11.4"). 😡

So I sure hope we have a snowier winter this year...just to break the monotony if nothing else... 😐

• Like 5
  • Snow 1

23-24 seasonal snow total: 17.8" (as of 3/9/24)

The latest Euro Weeklies MJO forecast has a very interesting look to it...one thing in particular, right as the LRC begins the new cycle, notice the "beeline" it takes us right out of Phase 5 during the 1st few days of Oct and heads into the "null phase".  Now, while the models mean avg is positioned in the null phase throughout the run, there are hints that many ensemble members push it into Phases 7/8/1 in the extended.  This is a powerful clue and if we can continue to see the model advertise this potential in Oct, boy, things are looking even more pretty and paint an even greater picture for the Winter.  I'm encouraged to see that we could finally have the MJO  play ball this cold season instead of rotating through the warm phases at the wrong times as it has in years past.  Just another atmospheric driver to ponder on.

1.gif

• Like 3

The rain trend is not good for my area this weekend.  Models are trending toward keeping the first event over western Iowa, then the second event south.  Another long, dry period is expected to follow.

• Sad 1

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Updated grids have now taken out heavy rain wording here. latest HRRR is as dry as a bone for most of IA including the OMA area for tomorrow.  Imagine that. 

• Sad 1
  • Sick 1

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

So, today's JMA weeklies are interesting as we get towards the 2nd half of October.  Just like the Euro Weeklies, this model is also seeing the possibility of the MJO heading into Phases 8/1 later in the month.  Before we get there, however, the active pattern kicks into high gear sparking AN temps and precip for a large part of the Sub.  As the La Nina pattern develops, the storm track appears to track far enough south to include California.  Bodes well for the torched region out west.  

The eastern Canadian Block is massive...

2.png

Week 2 Temp/Precip...

Y202109.D2912_gl2.png.

East Coast Hurricane threat looks to be heightened...active northern stream...

Y202109.D2912_gl0.png

Week 3-4 we see a shift in the pattern in the SW but the blocking continues to be strong in Canada that will drive the storms into our Sub Forum.

3.png

Temp/Precip....the west warms while the east cools....

Y202109.D2912_gl2.png

Rising motion in the western Indian Ocean provides a clue the MJO could head into the Phases 8/1 later in the month...east coast hurricane threat still rather high...

Y202109.D2912_gl0.png

• Like 2

On the last run of the month, the CFSv2 is advertising a blow torch...except for....the desert SW and west coast!

1.gif

Here are the latest temp/precip maps...

CFSv2.NaT2m.20210930.202110.gif

What is really encouraging about this pattern, we will see bountiful precip....those drought maps will begin to shrink come October...

CFSv2.NaPrec.20210930.202110.gif

• Like 2

Woah Baby!  Lightning, Thunder, and Deluge!   

Gotta love it!  That front crept in, then the heavens opened up.  Awesome sight. We really need it.  

• Like 2
  • Storm 1

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

I haven’t seen it pour like that in eons.
30 minutes of hard rain where you could hardly see across the street. More on the way.    

That small red cell over Ft Worth just sat there and is creeping NE.  

93F4071E-32E0-4EA3-AEA5-C57FECF426CF.png

• Like 1
  • Storm 2
  • Rain 1

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

We will be opening up the month of October feeling like Summer.  Heading up into the mid/upper 80's with ample sunshine!  Get out and enjoy this gorgeous day...happy TGIF!  On a side note, I think by Halloween things will feel a whole lot different around these parts.  That's my gut feeling and the signals I'm looking into are pointing towards this idea.

If this is any indication to how the new LRC is setting up, it's going to be a bountiful snow season out west....in search of Snow...#SierraSnow

2.png

1.png

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Tom said:

@Clinton or any KC folks, did you hear if Gary believes the storm that's coming through over the weekend is part of the late Oct '21 system???  Just curious to hear if we are on the same page.

Yes he mentioned that in yesterday's blog, he mentioned how it was related to a storm we had at the end of the year and first of Jan.

7 minutes ago, Clinton said:

Yes he mentioned that in yesterday's blog, he mentioned how it was related to a storm we had at the end of the year and first of Jan.

Awesome, bc it not only dumped snow in AZ/NM in late Dec but it cycled thru yesterday and dumped snow again.  The LRC is so fascinating.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Tom said:

Awesome, bc it not only dumped snow in AZ/NM in late Dec but it cycled thru yesterday and dumped snow again.  The LRC is so fascinating.  

Our first major storm of the new pattern may be starting to come together around the 11th-12th. Possibly a southern Colorado low? Yesterday the Euro and some of its ensembles showed this. Seems like it fits with your BSR that you mentioned awhile back.

• Like 3

Last night’s take on rain -  3 1/2” !   
This fell in under an hour.  Could hardly breath the rain was so heavy.  
A lot of lightning.   

More rain on the way. 60% chance today. 80% tomorrow.  Temps in the 80’s Lows mid 60’s.  

• Like 4

I was just saying the other day that I thought the color change of the trees was slow this year.  Last evening I took a drive around town and color has exploded.  Already seeing some leaves that have fallen on yards.  With the rain, the grass remains green and fairly lush for this late in the season.  Always a great time of year as the seasons really start changing. 

• Like 4

That rainfall forecast completely fell apart. No cool spells in sight either. In fact, there still hasn't been a day at KLNK with the high below 70. The latest first sub-70 day is October 9th, going back to 1897. Every other year had achieved that by Aug or Sept. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Snowfall in Lincoln, NE:

2017-18: 21.4"   2018-19: 55.5"   2019-20: 17.6"   2020-21: 49.4"   2021-22: 5.1" 🤮

Average: 26"

25 minutes ago, someweatherdude said:

Hopefully Gary's right that the models have difficulty this time of year getting things right.  Otherwise, the new pattern will be starting off with hot air streaming north into the plains yet again.  

last year started warm and dry, luckily this is the time of the year where models change drastically from day to day 

• Like 1

Winter has already arrived in Alaska.

Middle Tanana Valley-
Including Fairbanks, Fort Wainwright, Eielson AFB, Ester,
North Pole, Moose Creek, Two Rivers, Fox, Chatanika,
Chena Hot Springs, and Sourdough Camp
459 AM AKDT Fri Oct 1 2021

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM NOON TODAY TO
1 PM AKDT SUNDAY...

* WHAT...Snow expected. Plan on difficult travel conditions.
  Total snow accumulations of 4 to 6 inches, with localized
  amounts up to 8 inches, are expected.

* WHERE...Middle Tanana Valley.

* WHEN...Noon today to 1 PM Sunday.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Look for reduced visibilities at times.
  Areas of blowing and drifting snow.

Upper Tanana Valley and the Fortymile Country-
Including Tok, Tanacross, Eagle, Tetlin, Northway, Alcan,
Chicken, and Boundary
459 AM AKDT Fri Oct 1 2021

...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 6 PM THIS EVENING
TO 7 PM AKDT SUNDAY...

* WHAT...Heavy snow expected. Travel will be very difficult to
  impossible. Total snow accumulations of 6 to 9 inches, with
  localized amounts up to 14 inches, are expected.

* WHERE...Upper Tanana Valley and the Fortymile Country.

* WHEN...6 PM today to 7 PM Sunday.
  • Like 3

23 hours ago, Tom said:

The latest Euro Weeklies MJO showing more amplification than previous runs into Phases 8/1 and possibly into 2???

1.gif

I don't even want that yet, I'd rather put that off by a month. I just want seasonable temps that make it seem like there's an endgame for summer.

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

3 hours ago, someweatherdude said:

This would be a record high temp for KC.   Does anyone know whether the GFS now has an extra warm bias?  It's forecast high temps are running pretty consistently above our local NWS office's forecast highs.    gfs_T2m_us_32.thumb.png.56bfda47befc3d0be496d2f3d76f7073.png  

It has been having a tremendous warm bias this entire past summer.  Some posters out in NE mentioned how it consistently showed 100's D5 and beyond that never materialized.  Take it with a grain of salt.

• Like 3