PNW October 2021, Pumpkin Spice Edition

The Blob

Very chilly evening. 40 with light rain. 

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

2 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Wow is right... that is crazy!  

It’s kinda crazy how people react between heat and cold. Interestingly enough, an anomalous day like this in the weather department would probably on par with one of the heatwave days we went through this past summer. Yet,  no one talk much about today. No one would know about it. Coldest day in 125 years for 1st 2 weeks of October? That’s insane. 

Just now, Cloud said:

It’s kinda crazy how people react between heat and cold. Interestingly enough, an anomalous day like this in the weather department would probably on par with one of the heatwave days we went through this past summer. Yet,  no one talk much about today. No one would know about it. Coldest day in 125 years for 1st 2 weeks of October? That’s insane. 

Today was actually quite pleasant here... plenty of filtered sun through early afternoon and the rain held off until dusk and there was no wind at all.   Much more pleasant than some of the other days recently.  😀

• Like 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

3 minutes ago, Cloud said:

Not much to talk about here. We got to 60F so not super cold, just cooler than normal. Just depends on location.

• Like 1
  • Excited 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

1 minute ago, Cloud said:

I think it has to do with the fact it doesn’t hit 108 here often…but a 50/36 day in Seattle can happen from November-March and not be considered unusual. Not to take away from that stat though very impressive. 51/35 here was pretty chilly…had a 54/32 day in October 2019 here at my location so it tied that day in terms of average temp (43 degrees). 

• Like 3

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Just now, GHweatherChris said:

You would think that today was more impressive "anomalously" than the hottest temps ever recorded from this past June based on the rhetoric on here today.

Statistically it was very impressive... given that its never happened in 125 years.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Just now, TacomaWaWx said:

I think it has to do with the fact it doesn’t hit 108 here often…but a 50/36 day in Seattle can happen from November-March and not be considered unusual. Not to take away from that stat though very impressive. 51/35 here was pretty chilly…had a 54/32 day in October 2019 here at my location so it tied that day in terms of average temp (43 degrees). 

By the numbers alone, it is an impressive stat. It’s also because we’re used to this kind of weather, whereas not so much for heat 

1 minute ago, Cloud said:

By the numbers alone, it is an impressive stat. It’s also because we’re used to this kind of weather, whereas not so much for heat 

Definitely…just at my location we had an mean temp of 43 on October 10th in 2019…this is a 2 days later than that one. Still pretty cool to see Seattle actually breaking a cold record since heat records recently have outnumbered cold ones 10-1. 

• Like 1

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

It was a bit chilly, but not noteworthy.

Statistically it was very noteworthy... regardless of how you feel.  

A 70 degree day in January would feel very pleasant and still be very significant statistically.  

• Like 5

Just now, TT-SEA said:

Statistically it was very noteworthy... regardless of how you feel.  

A 70 degree day in January would feel very pleasant and still be very significant statistically.  

If it snows in the lowlands somewhere in Western Washington this month, that would be noteworthy.  I got 2" of snow on 10/31/2003 at my apartment in Olympia, that was impressive. 

• Snow 1

If it snows in the lowlands somewhere in Western Washington this month, that would be noteworthy.  I got 2" of snow on 10/31/2003 at my apartment in Olympia, that was impressive. 

Whatever... your feelings don't change the statistical significance of today at SEA.  

It shouldn't have any statistical significance for any of us, unless someone lives in shack on a runway.

Good lord you are truly relentless 😂

• Like 1
  • Excited 1
  • lol 2

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

2 minutes ago, GHweatherChris said:

Man, you really haven't been on this forum very long huh?

Long enough to know what you’re referring to lol. 

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

1 hour ago, Cloud said:

Impressive

Looks like SEA checked in with a -12 departure today, and broke the record low from 1946.  Anyone care to say this is no big deal now?

• Like 3

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

1 hour ago, Cloud said:

Today is not even remotely close anomalously compared to the June heatwave. Exceeding the normal high temp by almost 40 degrees and breaking the all-time hottest temperature ever recorded for three consecutive days including one day by nine degrees in June takes the cake by a mile. I’m no statistician, but I imagine the heatwave standard deviation from normal is so far off the charts it’s almost theoretically impossible except over a very long period of time. That event was orders of magnitude more significant than today.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Joshua Lake Oswego said:

Today is not even remotely close anomalously compared to the June heatwave. Exceeding the normal high temp by almost 40 degrees and breaking the all-time hottest temperature ever recorded for three consecutive days including one day by nine degrees in June takes the cake by a mile. I’m no statistician, but I imagine the heatwave standard deviation from normal is so far off the charts it’s almost theoretically impossible except over a very long period of time. That event was orders of magnitude more significant than today.

Depends on where you live. The stat for SEA was impressive. I’d say 125 years is impressive but I wasn’t really referring to any place else except SEA. 

1 hour ago, TacomaWaWx said:

This is way more impressive than 2019 when you consider duration and intensity both.  Most places are going to come in way colder for the first half of the month than 2019.  This is also happening with a Nina which makes it more of prize if you want a sign for a cold winter.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

6 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

Looks like SEA checked in with a -12 departure today, and broke the record low from 1946.  Anyone care to say this is no big deal now?

😀

Chris will.

I doubt it means anything for December or January... but it was statistically impressive today.

4 minutes ago, Joshua Lake Oswego said:

And I also never mentioned the June heatwave.. I said one of the heatwave days, we’ve had many of those. I ruled the June ones out because it was exceptional, I tend to lean towards the later heatwave ones when it was in the 90s. You can’t tell me a stat that stood for over 125 years and an overnight low that was broken since 1946 wasn’t exceptional.