PNW October 2021, Pumpkin Spice Edition

The Blob

It wouldn't shock me at all if we get a major cold shot at the end of the month after the ridge.  The ECMWF suite of models is showing that ridge will be very short lived.

• Snow 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

2 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

I see OLM hit 29 this morning and Shelton 28.

This cold snap is just killing it in this area.  Pretty much every day has come in below projections for low temps for days now.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

3 minutes ago, Cloud said:

And I also never mentioned the June heatwave.. I said one of the heatwave days, we’ve had many of those. I ruled the June ones out because it was exceptional, I tend to lean towards the later heatwave ones when it was in the 90s. You can’t tell me a stat that stood for over 125 years and an overnight low that was broken since 1946 wasn’t exceptional. 

The June heatwave was exceptional. 

1 hour ago, GHweatherChris said:

It shouldn't have any statistical significance for any of us, unless someone lives in a shack on a runway.

I find it rather significant, and for the record, its really not a bad place to live as long as you have a good set of earplugs.   Also, you call it a "shack," I like to think of it as the "Palace on the Plateau"

4 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

This is way more impressive than 2019 when you consider duration and intensity both.  Most places are going to come in way colder for the first half of the month than 2019.  This is also happening with a Nina which makes it more of prize if you want a sign for a cold winter.

It's impressive over there. Over here 2009 and 2019 were both colder.

3 minutes ago, snow drift said:

It's impressive over there. Over here 2009 and 2019 were both colder.

2009 was a total nothing burger here and that was a Nino anyway.  The context and intensity / persistence of this cold period is quite significant.

• Snow 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

6 minutes ago, GHweatherChris said:

The June heatwave was exceptional. 

It certainly was.  Probably the most anomalous thing I've ever seen.  That having been said the accomplishment for Seattle today was pretty exceptional also.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

More below normal days showing up on the 0z GFS now.  A chilly little clipper after day 10.

• Snow 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

9 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

2009 was a total nothing burger here and that was a Nino anyway.  The context and intensity / persistence of this cold period is quite significant.

The first 15 days of October 2009 all featured below average high temperatures. 14 of the first 15 days in October 2019 featured below average high temperatures. The first half of October 2019 also featured a significant snowfall.

Let's play a game. Take the incredibly rare and unprecedented June heatwave with 500mb heights many standard deviations above normal and now apply a similar anomalous event same scope and magnitude, but in January with an arctic blast. What realistic #'s would you throw out there for High/Low temps?

• Excited 1
  • Snow 1

Just now, DJ Droppin said:

Let's play a game. Take the incredibly rare and unprecedented June heatwave with 500mb heights many standard deviations above normal and now apply a similar anomalous event same scope and magnitude, but in January with an arctic blast. What realistic #'s would you throw out there for High/Low temps?

5/-10 for Seattle 

• Like 1
  • Excited 1

1 minute ago, DJ Droppin said:

I'm thinking December 1968, December 1978, or January 1888.

3 minutes ago, DJ Droppin said:

0 degree high and -20 nighttime low for Seattle with 5 feet of snow. 

• Excited 1

October 2009 was very cold nationally. 

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

1 hour ago, TacomaWaWx said:

I am truly actually quite impressed with the persistence fred should come up with a new badge. 

Pestilence.

8 minutes ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

October 2009 was very cold nationally. 

Second coldest on record for Denver. One of only two years where October was colder then November.

The Rockies made the playoffs that year...if memory serves, the coldest MLB game on record also occurred in Denver that month.

• Like 1

A forum for the end of the world.

Autumn starts so d**n early out West. Year after year since I joined this forum, I watch in envy as y’all post about frosts, freezes, fall colors, etc while I’m stuck with 80+ degree highs laaaate into the autumn.

• Sun 2
  • Snow 1

11 minutes ago, Phil said:

Autumn starts so d**n early out West. Year after year since I joined this forum, I watch in envy as y’all post about frosts, freezes, fall colors, etc while I’m stuck with 80+ degree highs laaaate into the autumn.

Here’s some more fall pictures for you Phil. Enjoy this panorama view of the pumpkin patch, cloudy skies and Sasquatch! It was low 50s today. 

53E5A536-9BFC-485B-B81D-DC9DDA6561E1.jpeg

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Phil said:

Never had an early Fall, or on par with the west?

18 minutes ago, Phil said:

Stick to the appropriate thread for your location and you wouldn't even worry about it.  

Thanks, from the fat asss from Washington!!

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, DJ Droppin said:

Single digit lows, highs in the mid upper teens.

1 hour ago, DJ Droppin said:

Lows in the negatives west side region wide, highs no higher than 25° region wide for no less than 3 days consecutively, west side only taken in to account.

45 minutes ago, DJ Droppin said:

Never had an early Fall, or on par with the west?

Not once has fall started here before the West. We’re always the last in line. :(

Yet somehow we manage to go from winter straight to summer in 3-4 weeks. Lol.

4 minutes ago, Phil said:

Not once has fall started here before the West. We’re always the last in line. :(

Yet somehow we manage to go from winter straight to summer in 3-4 weeks. Lol.

You maybe be a bit too far south. Because I’m pretty sure New England is a couple weeks ahead of us in terms of foliage.

26 minutes ago, Cloud said:

You maybe be a bit too far south. Because I’m pretty sure New England is a couple weeks ahead of us in terms of foliage.

New England is in an entirely different universe climate wise.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, snow_wizard said:

This is way more impressive than 2019 when you consider duration and intensity both.  Most places are going to come in way colder for the first half of the month than 2019.  This is also happening with a Nina which makes it more of prize if you want a sign for a cold winter.

The end of September 2019 was more impressive than this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Cloud said:

Depends on where you are. Most of the cities in New England right now are still a rather mixed bag in terms of bright foliage. Many more birch and maple trees here of course so those are now turning with the ash trees coming in slowly, but nothing at an earlier date than what you'd expect in WA/OR/ID. The hills are a different story of course but the same is true if you head up to the Cascades right now.

• Like 1