PNW October 2021, Pumpkin Spice Edition

The Blob

21 minutes ago, hawkstwelve said:

Thanks man! Average home price in Sioux Falls is $269k. Most nicer houses I've seen are between $300-$350k for a 2,000 sq ft house. Less money than we got this 1,200 sq ft house for in Maple Valley. 😆

Even small towns went more expensive. This was a 70k house in 2012, if we weren't so quick to make a sale this would have sold 210-220k. It's only a 1400 sq. ft. house. 

Word is Bend is crazy, and they've always been a pricey city.

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 11
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

7 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Totally agree.    The constant gray and rain is tough... but some people love it and cheer for it all summer too.   I will never feel that way.   

It will be nice to know you have always have a great chance of serious cold and snow and it does not take every domino to line up perfectly.    

I can definitely see moving to somewhere sunnier when I retire. I get tired of the endless gray. Depends where my kids end up. Both are out of state at the moment, both want to eventually get back to the PNW. But, life can get in the way of those kinds of plans so we shall see. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hawkstwelve said:

100%. 

In places where it's more normal to get significant snowfall, or have snow on the ground for months on end, I would have to imagine it gets to a point of "just being another snowstorm". Where as here even a 2-4 inch storm creates a certain buzz and atmosphere (not only on the forum) that is pretty contagious and fun to experience. 

If we do end up going with this move, which I'd put at about 90% right now, I will definitely miss the hubub of a good 'ol PNW snowstorm. 

You get tired of looking at it.

• Snow 1

I very rarely get tired of the overcast…idk maybe it’s because I’ve never lived anywhere else. Couple of winters ago we had almost 0 sunshine from mid December all the way to mid February and that was honestly really depressing. Was glad when we got a nice sunny stretch in mid February 2020. 

• Like 1
  • Sun 1

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

0.11” so far today…57/48. Looking forward to some nice weather for Halloween weekend after we round out 10 days in a row with measurable rainfall. 

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

33 minutes ago, hawkstwelve said:

I read that the other day and honestly that is really something I'm looking forward to. I get so tired of the constant gray and rainy days in the PNW. It can be really draining by the time you get deeper into winter. Thank God Jesse isn't here or I'd surely get a tongue-lashing for that statement.

Like you said... From what I've read of the climate out there, it sounds right up my alley. Less rain/more sun, more snow/cold, warm/hot in the summer, and more legit thunderstorms. I mean... What's not to love with the sound of that?

I could see myself moving somewhere that just gets more extremes overall with more defined seasons. Maybe eastern WA or OR. They get more consistent snowfalls and more sunshine overall. Maybe the overcast will wear on me more when I get older I don’t think it does because I’m just so used to it. 

• Like 1
  • Popcorn 1

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

17 minutes ago, TacomaWaWx said:

I very rarely get tired of the overcast…idk maybe it’s because I’ve never lived anywhere else. Couple of winters ago we had almost 0 sunshine from mid December all the way to mid February and that was honestly really depressing. Was glad when we got a nice sunny stretch in mid February 2020. 

I’ve lived here all my life and it doesn’t really bother me all that much. But I do like the sun and wouldn’t mind spending my retirement years in a place where the sun to gray ratio leans a little more toward sun than it does here. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, T-Town said:

I’ve lived here all my life and it doesn’t really bother me all that much. But I do like the sun and wouldn’t mind spending my retirement years in a place where the sun to gray ratio leans a little more toward sun than it does here. 

I definitely understand that, my cousin goes down to Central America for 3 months out of the year…December through February usually. I could definitely see myself moving over to central Oregon someday. Not like it’s the sunniest place on earth but it’s definitely less gloomy. 

• Like 2

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

8 minutes ago, TacomaWaWx said:

I definitely understand that, my cousin goes down to Central America for 3 months out of the year…December through February usually. I could definitely see myself moving over to central Oregon someday. Not like it’s the sunniest place on earth but it’s definitely less gloomy. 

Central Oregon is probably the most likely destination for us if we do actually move. Have to think about tax impacts, access to medical care and other stuff that becomes more important as you get older. But in terms of climate and mix of urban and natural amenities, the Bend area is pretty appealing. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hawkstwelve said:

100%. 

In places where it's more normal to get significant snowfall, or have snow on the ground for months on end, I would have to imagine it gets to a point of "just being another snowstorm". Where as here even a 2-4 inch storm creates a certain buzz and atmosphere (not only on the forum) that is pretty contagious and fun to experience. 

If we do end up going with this move, which I'd put at about 90% right now, I will definitely miss the hubub of a good 'ol PNW snowstorm. 

That is true.  But the first snowfall of the year is still pretty fun, as are the major snows. And the heartbreaks dont really happen because a busted snow forecast isn't a big deal because there will be other snows.  You won't have to wait until next year or the year after for another snowstorm..

It is also nice that the snowy areas are prepared for snow with timely and regular snowplowing in all neighborhoods and highways, so it doesn't shut everything down.  In fact I tell people the hardest part of driving is my driveway, or digging the berm out from the end of the driveway.

But yeah you don't get the buzz around town, or at the grocery stores when a snowstorm is brewing.  Still beats waiting for the once every few years snow with way too many heabetween. between.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, hawkstwelve said:

Well looks like there is a good chance we will be moving to Sioux Falls, SD at some point over the next couple months. We have a realtor coming tomorrow to look at our house and see what we could sell it for. A similar house down the street sold for over half a million after about 4 days of being on the market so assuming ours would go for about the same and just as quick, which is insane for a pretty small house (~1200 sq ft). We are pretty set on the idea of running with our much-larger-than-expected profit on this house and going to an area that has a much cheaper COL. Plus, my wife has family that is either already over there or moving over there soon.

We were wanting to move somewhere with more snow/cold but SD seems to be firmly on the extreme end, with their average low in January being 6 degrees. At least I won't have to beg and plead to the weather gods to bless me with 2 inches of snow anymore. So that'll be nice. 

We have friends in Sioux Falls.  They can get big snows from time to time.  Sioux Falls also has a tremendous parks system. Lots and lots of parks including a great year round aquatic center.  They love living there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BLI snowman said:

I would definitely miss the trees, although there is a certain beauty to the wide open plains (and the unobstructed sunsets/sunrises).

Rapid City has a bit of both worlds with the Black Hills and the plains/badlands starting nearby. I don't think the job market is as strong, though.

Yeah, Rapid City is definitely in a more scenic area but quite a bit smaller.

• Like 1

A forum for the end of the world.

11 minutes ago, Brian_in_Leavenworth said:

That is true.  But the first snowfall of the year is still pretty fun, as are the major snows. And the heartbreaks dont really happen because a busted snow forecast isn't a big deal because there will be other snows.  You won't have to wait until next year or the year after for another snowstorm..

It is also nice that the snowy areas are prepared for snow with timely and regular snowplowing in all neighborhoods and highways, so it doesn't shut everything down.  In fact I tell people the hardest part of driving is my driveway, or digging the berm out from the end of the driveway.

But yeah you don't get the buzz around town, or at the grocery stores when a snowstorm is brewing.  Still beats waiting for the once every few years snow with way too many heabetween. between.

I totally agree.  I really want to live in a better climate, and still think it will happen.  No doubt it is sweet when we do get it though.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I’ve always loved the clouds here. My Dad hated them when I was a kid, says he has a greater appreciation for them now. He grew up in Idaho while I’ve lived here all my life. I think this June’s heatwave did it in for him.

Just the thought of living in a ‘sunny climate’ makes my eyes squint!

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

-Total snowfall since joining: 50.25"

-2018-19: 21"

-2019-20: 2.5"

-2020-21: 13"

-2021-22: 8.75"

-2022-23: 5.75"

-2023-24*: 0.25"

-Most recent snowfall: 0.25”; January 17th, 2024

-Largest snowfall (single storm): 8.5"; February 12-13, 2021

-Largest snow depth: 14"; 1:30am February 12th, 2019

Temperatures:

-Warmest: 109F; June 28th, 2021

-Coldest: 13F; December 27th, 2021

-Phreeze Count 2023-24: 31

1 hour ago, TacomaWaWx said:

Speaking for myself the gloom has gotten very tiresome.  It slowly wears you down.  It bothers me almost as much as the lack of snow now.  Let's hope the next couple of years go into something like the mid 1980s.  We sometimes do get years that are less gloomy and colder.

As some of you know I go to Liberty quite often from late spring to mid autumn and the days I drive from gloom over here to sunshine over there it's like a heavy wet blanket being lifted off of me.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

7 minutes ago, Meatyorologist said:

I’ve always loved the clouds here. My Dad hated them when I was a kid, says he has a greater appreciation for them now. He grew up in Idaho while I’ve lived here all my life. I think this June’s heatwave did it in for him.

Yes... our bodies are adapted to being in the sun.   And I hope 3 days of very hot weather did not make him never want to see the sun again... that seems like an extreme over-compensation.   😀

• Downvote 1
  • Weenie 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

I have a weather geek buddy who lived his entire life in western wa and Spokane until a couple years ago when he moved to San Luis Obispo to be closer to his kids. He was super excited the other day when they were supposed to get some rain. He also plays golf in the sun several times a week and I don’t think you could pry him away from there at this point.

8 minutes ago, Meatyorologist said:

We'll see if you always feel that way.  Obviously one thing I hate about clouds is they keep the temps warmer during the winter.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

1 minute ago, snow_wizard said:

Speaking for myself the gloom has gotten very tiresome.  It slowly wears you down.  It bothers me almost as much as the lack of snow now.  Let's hope the next couple of years go into something like the mid 1980s.  We sometimes do get years that are less gloomy and colder.

As some of you know I go to Liberty quite often from late spring to mid autumn and the days I drive from gloom over here to sunshine over there it's like a heavy wet blanket being lifted off of me.

I really appreciate having easy and close access to central and eastern WA via freeway here.    I know exactly what you mean going over the pass and driving into the bright blue sky almost instantly.   It can feel so uplifting.  

• Like 1
  • Excited 2

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

2 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Yes... our bodies are adapted to being in the sun.   And I hope 3 days of very hot weather did not make him never want to see the sun again... that seems like an extreme over-compensation.   😀

Just slightly.  Now that the heat is just a memory it's kind of burned into my memory and was something truly extraordinary.  One thing I really appreciate about this area is its ability to deviate way out of the realms of normal from time to time.  I read articles in the 19th century newspapers about newcomers from back East being "confounded" about the weather here...going from absurdly mild to almost like stuff they were used to at the drop of a hat.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

7 minutes ago, T-Town said:

I have a weather geek buddy who lived his entire life in western wa and Spokane until a couple years ago when he moved to San Luis Obispo to be closer to his kids. He was super excited the other day when they were supposed to get some rain. He also plays golf in the sun several times a week and I don’t think you could pry him away from there at this point.

When I lived in SoCal... I was more excited for rain down there than I am for a dry, sunny day up here.    But that is because the rain never lasted long and was always a treat.  

• Like 2

wife says we are going to die in our house in the swamp, we are not risk takers and moving, while enticing, is not in the cards

we will continue to check in to see if Tim brings us some nice sunny warm summer weather and if Jim thinks the 18Z gets cold at the end

hoping we get some good snow this winter

i want to make some snow monsters again

• Like 1
  • Excited 1
  • Snow 1

3 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

I really appreciate having easy and close access to central and eastern WA via freeway here.    I know exactly what you mean going over the pass and driving into the bright blue sky almost instantly.   It can feel so uplifting.  

You and I are pretty lucky that we can easily get to Central WA in an hour.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

1 hour ago, TacomaWaWx said:

This was the first truly overcast Fall day in weeks. Sometimes I *sigh* when I'm in the middle of a walk and the sun tries to peek through the clouds. ;)

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 11
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

1 minute ago, The Swamp said:

wife says we are going to die in our house in the swamp, we are not risk takers and moving, while enticing, is not in the cards

we will continue to check in to see if Tim brings us some nice sunny warm summer weather and if Jim thinks the 18Z gets cold at the end

hoping we get some good snow this winter

i want to make some snow monsters again

Sadly the swamp is about as bad as it get too.  That having been said if you look at periods like the 1950s it didn't matter where you lived.  Hopefully this climate still has some of that magic left in it.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

1 hour ago, snow_wizard said:

I think the people from this forum that move do so because of weather.

Even though we didn’t move far (20ish min north and slightly east) 3.5yrs ago, the top 5 reasons were increase in crime in the area, broke up a drug deal in front of my old place at 3am and thought I was going to get shot. That was a BIG number one reason! Second was the split level house was getting a little small (1400sqft) with a second kid on the way and 5 dogs! Third was even though the house was completely gutted and remodeled in 2005 there where other things that were starting to nickel and dime us like septic issues, well pump issues, HVAC issues. Fourth was I was getting soooo tired of having to keep my dogs in the house while the high school down the road used our road to have the dozens and dozens of cross country/track students run up and down it like 50 times and my dogs being herders would run the fence line at them for hours if I didn’t stop them, that drove me nuts! And number five, we were only at 300ft, during marginal events we would only have rain/snow mix while a mile down the road would be getting nuked at 600ft. That number 5 was just me, my wife could not possibly care less. I did tell my wife there would be NO WAY I would move to the Mt. Vernon/Burlington area since it’s a major snow screw zone! 🤣

• Like 3

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

6 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Sure wish we had that here. Sitting behind multiple semi trucks while going on shitt quality 2-lane Oregon SR 126 is depressing and takes forever to get somewhere that a freeway would take half the time. Plus the economies of Eugene and Bend would be far better if they made a proper freeway from here over Santiam Pass to Bend and future Interstate 7.

• Like 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

2 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

Sadly the swamp is about as bad as it get too.  That having been said if you look at periods like the 1950s it didn't matter where you lived.  Hopefully this climate still has some of that magic left in it.

Hold my beer...

• lol 1

Personal Stats:

Venmo

You and I are pretty lucky that we can easily get to Central WA in an hour.

Yeah... but you have to deal with highway 18.   That road has become a complete nightmare.   Sometimes the back up heading west on I-90 to the Hwy 18 exit is 6 miles long... all the way back to North Bend.    People must sit in that mess for hours.    I don't get it.   Just go to 405.   And then there are so many accidents with the right lane at a dead stop and the left two lanes moving at 80 mph.  

I absolutely love South Dakota. The whole state, I have nothing but love. 

• Like 3
  • Weenie 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

1 minute ago, TigerWoodsLibido said:

Sure wish we had that here. Sitting behind multiple semi trucks while going on shitt quality 2-lane Oregon SR 126 is depressing and takes forever to get somewhere that a freeway would take half the time. Plus the economies of Eugene and Bend would be far better if they made a proper freeway from here over Santiam Pass to Bend and future Interstate 7.

They're going to do a new Interstate?  Didn't know that.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

All the highways that go over both the coast range and cascades in Oregon are two lane death traps. 

3 minutes ago, TigerWoodsLibido said:

Hold my beer...

Your area is one that can do extremely well sometimes.  Obviously there are a lot of loser winters you have to deal with in the process.  Up here most winters have at least something.

BTW...where I live is probably 1 or 2 steps better than the swamp.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

3 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

From Weed, CA to The Dalles, OR is the proposed start of it. Makes sense to do it soon before too many people move to these cities in Central Oregon.

Personal Stats:

Venmo

A guy who lived in my quad at college is a state senator in South Dakota! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

All the highways that go over both the coast range and cascades in Oregon are two lane death traps. 

All of ours too except for I-90.  Since they redid that thing it is REALLY nice.  Must have spent an insane amount of money on that.  Even Stevens Pass is still a death trap as you say.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Just now, TigerWoodsLibido said:

From Weed, CA to The Dalles, OR is the proposed start of it. Makes sense to do it soon before too many people move to these cities in Central Oregon.

Oh the route of highway 97? Another two lane death trap in central Oregon. That culver to madras stretch is a graveyard. 

• Like 1
  • Excited 1