PNW November 2021 Wx Obs/Discussion

Meatyorologist

9 minutes ago, MossMan said:

Bright moon in an otherwise dark powerless night. 

1E1C77D5-10D4-42BA-8C80-6E7465F1BA88.jpeg

The first c-zone has faded now... the next one that develops is going to be farther north.   Don't discount your snow chances tonight.   I think that moon might disappear later.  👍

• Like 2
  • Snow 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

33 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Interesting... would you feel the same if there has been excess rain for many years and no drought?    Do you want it to rain every day all year long?     So if its raining all day at your house... your enjoyment of that is diminished if the actual rain at the airport is less than what the models showed?      These are all honest questions... just trying to understand.

I wouldn’t mind some cool, sunny days sprinkled in during summer so I can play a few dry rounds of golf. Other than that, yes, I want it to rain every single day. Or, at least be dreary and ‘’wet’’. I care more about rain at my house than PDX, but, yes, my enjoyment is somewhat diminished if PDX or other local (NW Oregon) stations underperform. 

My ideal climate would be: 300+ days of rain. Maybe 100’’ - 150’’ total evenly spread out through the year. The temp would never exceed 65 or get below 20. Very few sunny days. Lots of fog and low clouds when not raining. Some wet, sticky snow here and there would be great. Moss, ferns, and massive conifers all over. Every square inch covered in green. Grass never dies.

• Like 3
  • Excited 1
  • Sick 2
  • Weenie 1

12 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

34 here and dropping! Was 55 last night at same time.

This was a pretty dynamic cold front.  I couldn't believe how much colder it was in the late afternoon vs lunch time.

• Like 1
  • Excited 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

1 minute ago, Joshua Lake Oswego said:

I wouldn’t mind some cool, sunny days sprinkled in during summer so I can play a few dry rounds of golf. Other than that, yes, I want it to rain every single day. Or, at least be dreary and ‘’wet’’. I care more about rain at my house than PDX, but, yes, my enjoyment is somewhat diminished if PDX or other local (NW Oregon) stations underperform. 

My ideal climate would be: 300+ days of rain. Maybe 100’’ - 150’’ total evenly spread out through the year. The temp would never exceed 65 or get below 20. Very few bell to bell sunshine days. Lots of fog and low clouds when not raining. Some wet, sticky snow here and there would be great. Moss, ferns, and massive conifers all over. Every square inch covered in green. Grass never dies.

Thanks for the detailed response.   I better understand now where you are coming from.  👍

• Like 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

15 minutes ago, MossMan said:

Bright moon in an otherwise dark powerless night. 

1E1C77D5-10D4-42BA-8C80-6E7465F1BA88.jpeg

If you want, you can borrow my Gameboy to pass the time while the power is out. It is just the original non color one, but I have Tetris. I only have 2 batteries left though.

• Like 4
  • Excited 1

25 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

You're acting like that fancy word Jim used hahahaha.

I've always wanted to use that word.  Finally got the chance!

• Excited 1
  • lol 2
  • Popcorn 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

49 minutes ago, DJ Droppin said:

10 Day Rainfall, Snowfall totals. MUCH drier for our flood stricken friends up north. Thank God and a yawnfest of a pattern for that.

qpf_acc.us_nw.png

sn10_acc.us_nw.png

I wouldn't mind that map. 

• Like 2

Garfield County/Pomeroy, WA:

2023-2024 Snowfall totals: 14.3 inches

HIghest snow total (per event): 5.8 inches total 1/11/24 - 1/12/24.

Most recent accumulation (non trace): 0.20 inches on 2/26/24

Days with  trace or more snowfall: 12/01/23 (0.60), 1/8/24 (1.0), 1/10/24 (3.5), 1/11/23 (3.5 inches with Thundersnow; separate event from prior day), 1/12/24 (2.30). 1/14/24 (T), 1/17/24 (1.20 inches), 1/18/24 (1.5 inches), 1/19/24 (0.20), 2/09/24 (0.30), 2/26/24 (0.20-mainly graupel)

First Freeze: 10/27/2023

Last Sub freezing Day: 1/20/24 (12th) (8 days in a row from 1/12/24-1/20/24)

Coldest low: -12F (!!!!!!!!) (1/12/24)

Last White Christmas: 2022 at my location (on ground)

9 minutes ago, Joshua Lake Oswego said:

My ideal climate would be: 300+ days of rain. Maybe 100’’ - 150’’ total evenly spread out through the year. The temp would never exceed 65 or get below 20. Very few sunny days. Lots of fog and low clouds when not raining. Some wet, sticky snow here and there would be great. Moss, ferns, and massive conifers all over. Every square inch covered in green. Grass never dies.

Move to Cannon Beach. Not quite that much rain but you can enjoy the rain and walk in the forest. You can enjoy the elk coming down to the city park, chewing up the grass and pooping in the road. The occasional snow at the beach is surreal. Saw it two or three times when I lived there.

• Like 1

Days with  trace or more snowfall: 12/01/23 (0.60), 1/8/24 (1.0), 1/10/24 (3.5), 1/11/23 (3.5 inches with Thundersnow; separate event from prior day), 1/12/24 (2.30). 1/14/24 (T), 1/17/24 (1.20 inches), 1/18/24 (1.5 inches), 1/19/24 (0.20), 2/09/24 (0.30), 2/26/24 (0.20-mainly graupel)

I'm actually kind of pleased the models are finally showing a legit inversion pattern coming up.  No autumn is complete without a good round of cold fog.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

2 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

I'm actually kind of pleased the models are finally showing a legit inversion pattern coming up.  No autumn is complete without a good round of cold fog.

We need a fog icon. Please.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Side note... I always try to remember that the models changing doesn't really represent nature screwing us.    Nature does not care about attempts to predict nature.   Whatever happens was always going to happen no matter what our weather models showed beforehand.  

That’s debatable.

• Like 1
  • lol 1

3 minutes ago, LowerGarfield said:

Move to Cannon Beach. Not quite that much rain but you can enjoy the rain and walk in the forest. You can enjoy the elk coming down to the city park, chewing up the grass and pooping in the road. The occasional snow at the beach is surreal. Saw it two or three times when I lived there.

It is beautiful there. Too dry in the summer though. Also, freakin’ expensive. 

• Like 2

Interesting post-frontal situation here... it stopped raining around 1 p.m. and there has been no precip since the main band cleared the area.    That is not usually how it works here after a front passes.

• Like 2
  • Sun 1

3 minutes ago, Phil said:

That’s debatable.

The models aren't changing what actually happens... they just change our expectations of what is going to happen.

• Like 2
  • lol 1

1 minute ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

This is the 14th winter I've been on the forum.  Crazy.. my son was only 10 years old and I was 35. 

The fact that this forum has survived as long as it has is impressive, this is my 13th year.  Most forums die alot sooner these days!

• Like 2
  • Excited 1

10 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

No comments on the Thursday night potential??

I think a few places could see some flakes.  I'll be looking at it much more closely over the next day.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

9 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

No comments on the Thursday night potential??

It was looking like at least some wet snow up here but the trend tonight has been towards a more suppressed system with very little precip up this way. Perhaps 1000-1500ft snow levels in western Washington 

• Like 1
  • Snow 1

Just now, GHweatherChris said:

The fact that this forum has survived as long as it has is impressive, this is my 13th year.  Most forums die alot sooner these days!

We have been around in some form for much longer than that.  I've been through three of four different incarnations and different owners / admins.  The core group has been around 20 to 22 years or something like that.

• Like 1
  • Excited 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Just now, snow_wizard said:

We have been around in some form for much longer than that.  I've been through three of four different incarnations and different owners / admins.  The core group has been around 20 to 22 years or something like that.

I know that, I have only been involved for 13 years myself.

• Like 1
  • Excited 1

Just now, ShawniganLake said:

It was looking like at least some wet snow up here but the trend tonight has been towards a more suppressed system with very little precip up this way. Perhaps 1000-1500ft snow levels in western Washington 

Yeah I'd guess 700 to 1000ft on average.  Probably closer to 500 around hood canal and Shelton . The low could come in stronger and really make it interesting. 

• Like 1

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

1 minute ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

Yeah I'd guess 700 to 1000ft on average.  Probably closer to 500 around hood canal and Shelton . The low could come in stronger and really make it interesting. 

I won't be surprised to get some flakes here at 200 feet, just has that look to it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

I can remember exactly Tim's very first comment to me.  I posted a picture of tree's I sprayed with water and they made a beautiful frozen ice sculpture.  He said word for word, you'd have to be clinically insane to do that to a tree. Hahaha he didn't know I was going to cut them down in the spring. 

I don't remember that.  😀

• Like 1