Hello everyone,

I want to ask if someone knows about the temperature profiles in an internal boudary layer

Also if you have an internal boundary layer you must also have changes in the temperature or it isnt necessary?

Are turbulent kinetic energy and wind speed vertical cross sections enough to explain an internal boundary layer or i should also use profiles of temperature?

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello everyone,

I want to ask if someone knows about the temperature profiles in an internal boudary layer

Also if you have an internal boundary layer you must also have changes in the temperature or it isnt necessary?

Are turbulent kinetic energy and wind speed vertical cross sections enough to explain an internal boundary layer or i should also use profiles of temperature?

What do you mean by internal boundary layer? As far as I know, boundary layer works just fine so can you explain?

The boundary layer is the layer from the surface through which the atmosphere is well mixed. This can range from basically zero during wintertime inverted conditions, to several km high in the desert during summer. Normally this layer is well-mixed which means that the temperature drops at the dry adiabatic lapse rate (although it can be less at times), which is 9.8 K/km. Above the boundary layer this does not occur. The boundary layer sees momentum transfer between the slower moving winds, tke, etc at the surface and aloft. These properties tend to be reasonably uniform throughout it as a result except right at the surface. 

Normally if I want to find a boundary layer I just see how high the atmosphere is well mixed too and that is good enough. 

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

• 1 month later...