September 2015 in the Pacific Northwest

Tyler Mode

Getting anything close to a cool September is a tall order in our new climate. This year might have a shot, but it won't be easy, and it won't be without its share of impressive torching scattered throughout.

September has warmed up quite a bit during our period of record. During the first 30 years of observation in Portland (1875-1904), the average September high was 71.2 degrees, which seems ridiculously cool compared to the stuff we've been seeing in recent years (our 1981-2010 average September high is 4.6 degrees warmer than the first 30 years of observation). We've only had one September so far this century to match that old average (71.2 in 2004), and you have to go back to 1986 for the last time we had a September with a cooler average high than that.

Of course, we're comparing two different locations, and UHI is obviously a bigger factor now than it was then, so the numbers could be skewed a little. 

• Like 1

September has warmed up quite a bit during our period of record. During the first 30 years of observation in Portland (1875-1904), the average September high was 71.2 degrees, which seems ridiculously cool compared to the stuff we've been seeing in recent years (our 1981-2010 average September high is 4.6 degrees warmer than the first 30 years of observation). We've only had one September so far this century to match that old average (71.2 in 2004), and you have to go back to 1986 for the last time we had a September with a cooler average high than that.

Of course, we're comparing two different locations, and UHI is obviously a bigger factor now than it was then, so the numbers could be skewed a little.

Good post.

Months like September and January are canaries in the coal mine.

9-11-08 is truly the day that changed America forever.  

Since 2008, the years that haven't hit 90 on 9/11 (2012, 2014) were both followed by crapstick winters. All the years that have (2008, 2009, 2011, 2013) at least had some fun winter weather at some point. 

Some major food for thought!!

EDIT: I forgot about 2010. Hmm, that winter was sort of a tweener down here.

Since 2008, the years that haven't hit 90 on 9/11 (2012, 2014) were both followed by crapstick winters. All the years that have (2008, 2009, 2011, 2013) at least had some fun winter weather at some point.

I liked 2010-11. Coolish overall with two historic cold spells, one early season and one late season, followed by my favorite spring ever.

UHI has an impact on Potland's numbers, but the uptick is noticeable everywhere and has impacted average highs significantly in the last 30 years. There's been an almost complete lack of Septembers that are cooler than the historic averages.

We did have a long stretch of generally very cool Septembers between 1977 and 1986, like everything it seems somewhat cyclical, but August , September, and January do seem to have warmed disproportionately to the rest of the months in the last few decades.

I think pretty soon the hot July/hot 9-11/cold October is gonna be the winter prognostication gold standard.

• Like 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Summer is over, there's nothing in the modeling that suggests another warm ridging episode the rest of September. Ensemble composites are suggestive of mean troughing along the west coast and in the Gulf of Alaska through the next 2 weeks.

I'm waiting to hear Jesse's screams of delight emanating from atop Bull Mountain. Jesse, please keep it down after 10 pm, I gotta work early tomorrow.

• Like 1

The Pacific Northwest: Where storms go to die.

Day 29 nail biter in progress at PDX!

With TTD-DLS up to +3.7 mb and fairly strong westerly push in progress through the Gorge I'd be surprised if we manage it. Marine stratus is even making progress inland during daylight hours.

The Pacific Northwest: Where storms go to die.

Summer is over, there's nothing in the modeling that suggests another warm ridging episode the rest of September. Ensemble composites are suggestive of mean troughing along the west coast and in the Gulf of Alaska through the next 2 weeks.

I'm waiting to hear Jesse's screams of delight emanating from atop Bull Mountain. Jesse, please keep it down after 10 pm, I gotta work early tomorrow.

I don't know, but I have to say this has been a pretty decent stretch of summer weather, considering summer "ended" two weeks ago on this board.

There were people on here saying we were likely finished with 90's a month ago. How many have we had since then at PDX? Four?

I have to admit I didn't even expect PDX to hit 90 this month, but they've done it once (maybe twice depending on the next hour).

It's a pretty easy bet they won't see anymore 90's after today, but harder to guarantee that we won't see anymore summer-like weather before the end of September.

I don't know, but I have to say this has been a pretty decent stretch of summer weather, considering summer "ended" two weeks ago on this board.

There were people on here saying we were likely finished with 90's a month ago. How many have we had since then at PDX? Four?

I have to admit I didn't even expect PDX to hit 90 this month, but they've done it once (maybe twice depending on the next hour).

It's a pretty easy bet they won't see anymore 90's after today, but harder to guarantee that we won't see anymore summer-like weather before the end of September.

The weather has been pretty fall like as a whole the past few weeks and it looks to continue that way the next few. The last couple days featured a pretty typical spike of early Autumn warmth, but in the bigger picture there has been a shift away from summer (and the very hot pattern that dominated this summer in particular) since the end of August.

A few warm days don't change that, even if we have a few more in the pipeline.

The fact that September will likely be a couple degrees below average at most stations by the 20th or so also easily sets it apart from the last several record warm months.

The weather has been pretty fall like as a whole the past few weeks and it looks to continue that way the next few. The last couple days featured a pretty typical spike of early Autumn warmth, but in the bigger picture there has been a shift away from summer (and the very hot pattern that dominated this summer in particular) since the end of August.

A few warm days don't change that, even if we have a few more in the pipeline.

I know. My main point is that the last 30 days or so hasn't really played out like some people suggested it might, with the exception of the roughly 10 day period at the beginning of this month.

There's no doubt we're transitioning into fall, though summer doesn't officially end for nine days. :)

I know. My main point is that the last 30 days or so hasn't really played out like some people suggested it might, with the exception of the roughly 10 day period at the beginning of this month.

There's no doubt we're transitioning into fall, though summer doesn't officially end for nine days. :)

Meteorological summer ended 12 days ago. :) :)

This is a meteorology forum right?

As it stands now, this is looking like a fairly cool, troughy month. A couple token warm days notwithstanding.

It's about time I started banning people who like warm weather or are off topic, or Canadian.

Or if your username starts with a J.

ScottSKOMO

Just ran some numbers -- if 15-day projections hold, #Seattle will indeed end up colder than normal in September, breaking 19-month streak

2015-09-12, 2:52 PM

Jesse can stop complaining about the warmth now!

Edit:

I just found the source for where that picture I posted yesterday was from.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/90day/tools/briefing/unger.pri.php

As much as I love cold anomalies, the family and I spent the afternoon on the river. It was a refreshing day outside.

I'm sure we will see a couple more warm days in the coming weeks, but the models seems to be decidedly fall like. The past few feels have been a nice mix as well.

Spent the afternoon on Lake Washington with the family... gorgeous day.    

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

00z GFS Ensemble wants to keep us below average through the rest of the month. Looking like our first below average month in quite sometime. Fall has officially arrived!

• Like 2

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Not sure if these have been posted before, but here are a couple of great articles on tropical forcing, the Blob, ENSO, and the NPM. Really nice graphs, maps, and simulation results in there. :)

https://baynature.org/articles/today-in-el-nino-advice-dont-worry-about-the-blob/

https://www.climate.gov/news-features/blogs/enso/tropics-prime-suspect-behind-warm-cold-split-over-north-america-during

12z looks really cool for the upcoming week. Could be a day or two with highs in the 50s coming up for some I-5 corridor stations.

The ensembles keep the very cool weather going through the long range. I'm assuming the Canadian is on board too, since it hasn't been mentioned for days.

Woke up to low clouds, fog, and drizzle.

But now the sun is out and the wind has picked up. Looks like the c-zone is moving north.

Mostly sunny with a light north breeze up here.

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth!