Jump to content
The Weather Forums

December 2021 Observations and Discussion


Tom
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • lol 3

>1" snowfalls at KFAR in 2021-22: 11/11-12 (1.0"), 11/13 (1.8"), 12/2 (1.0"), 12/4-5 (4.8"), 12/21 (3.1"), 12/25 (3.2"), 12/26-27 (8.6"), 12/28 (2.9"), 1/4-5 (3.2"), 1/14 (2.7"),

 

Total 2021-22 snowfall at KFAR: 34.4"                                                  Coldest Minimum: -28*F (1/1, 1/7)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, FAR_Weather said:

I am slowing the spread of winter this year because I know of someone who is waiting for it, as indicated by their login name.

As for the West Coast drought it is now expanding into the middle of the country so that we're all in this together. Expect boring California-like weather to become the new normal there. 

  • Downvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nice weather continues here for the weekend before more normal December weather starts next week.  NWS watching next weekend for a posable storm.

Tab2FileL.png

Forecast Discussion looking more interesting:

Focus then shifts to next weekend. Deterministic models all have
some indication of a system across the middle of the country. But
there are large variations in the strength, timing, and the
position of the system. The GFS produces a strong cyclone and
tracks it well north of the forecast area. The ECMWF doesn`t
produce this initial cyclone, but rather brings a strong wave
across the Southern Plains later Saturday into Sunday. The track
of this system isn`t ideal to give us a chance for a snow storm,
but this is a week out and certainly needs to be watched as it`s
close and has structure of a strong system should it verify.
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Clinton said:

Nice weather continues here for the weekend before more normal December weather starts next week.  NWS watching next weekend for a posable storm.

Tab2FileL.png

Forecast Discussion looking more interesting:

Focus then shifts to next weekend. Deterministic models all have
some indication of a system across the middle of the country. But
there are large variations in the strength, timing, and the
position of the system. The GFS produces a strong cyclone and
tracks it well north of the forecast area. The ECMWF doesn`t
produce this initial cyclone, but rather brings a strong wave
across the Southern Plains later Saturday into Sunday. The track
of this system isn`t ideal to give us a chance for a snow storm,
but this is a week out and certainly needs to be watched as it`s
close and has structure of a strong system should it verify.

Clinton.....need to get rid of that dang positive AO Positive NAO, positive everything!!!!! I just don;t think we are going to see anything exciting in our area until we get those to go negative. The storm next weekend is there, but, the trends are for it to track NW of us and flood our area with once again, warmer than average temps. May shoot into the 60's again later this week. After that storm passes, more of the same, WARM! 

The GFS has been pretty good  in the last month showing these warm-ups, we have to believe it until it breaks..

Remember last December, +5 degrees on temps and not much winter at all that month. (we might be heading towards that again) But, Jan. 1 came and we had a pretty good winter after that, no big snows, but frequent smaller snows. OF course, the beautiful 2 week stretch of arctic air and 3-4 snows in Feb. So..........it's early, plenty of time for some change. 

I saw Gary's winter forecast, I just don't see where this pattern can produce average temps and the 10-14 day arctic air hit that he is forecasting. Where does he see that? Based off of what in the first cycle? I see how last year's Feb. outbreak happened, we had a 10-15 day record breaking cold outbreak in OCT. and that returned in cycle 3. (it did not happen in cycle 2) I don't see where we could set up shop on the cold air..sure, a couple hits here and there, but, 10-14 days. The W/SW ridge has been so dominate in the first cycle, I just don't think we can get rid of that. 

I think we see more rain storms than snow this winter, I think temps will be well above average and I just don't think we can get more than 12 inches of snow or so.  As you know, I hope I'm horribly wrong. 

I'll be the biggest cheerleader when I see the eyes of a true pattern change, but for now, you have to believe what we are seeing is going to continue for a little wild longer. I do like your idea of a colder late December and early Jan. period, If I'm reading the LRC right, I think we have a chance at that. 

I'll take a few more weeks of some warm and than BAM! Snow for the holidays. Let's set our goal for that. HA! 

BTW...I'm not giving up on next weekend's storm. I'll patiently wait for the data to change. Let's Go! 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Might not have to wait long for a t'storm? 🍻

day2otlk_0700.png

  • Storm 4

ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif

Ashland, KY Weather

'21-'22 Cold Season

Snowfall - 7.5"
December: 0.1"
January: 7.4"
February: _._"

Snow days: 4 (4.0" Jan 16-17)
Highs <32: 1 (21 Jan 7th)
Min: 7 (Jan 8th)
Max wind: 30mph (Dec 25th)

[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Had a low of 34, and upper 40's now.

21 and freezing fog at my last place. Does Kentucky get fog much? 

ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif

Ashland, KY Weather

'21-'22 Cold Season

Snowfall - 7.5"
December: 0.1"
January: 7.4"
February: _._"

Snow days: 4 (4.0" Jan 16-17)
Highs <32: 1 (21 Jan 7th)
Min: 7 (Jan 8th)
Max wind: 30mph (Dec 25th)

[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Mr Marine Layer said:

I am slowing the spread of winter this year because I know of someone who is waiting for it, as indicated by their login name.

As for the West Coast drought it is now expanding into the middle of the country so that we're all in this together. Expect boring California-like weather to become the new normal there. 

Well, there's definitely no denying that I enjoy winter weather! I'm not very creative and just quickly thought of a name while signing up 4 years ago and never bothered to change it 😂

  • Like 2
  • lol 1

Snowfall in Lincoln, NE:

2017-18: 21.4"   2018-19: 55.5"   2019-20: 17.6"   2020-21: 49.4"   2021-22: 2.3" (so far)

Average: 26"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The sun is out and while a little breezy it is now up to 42 here. So I will be taking a out side walk.  I know that there has been talk of the blizzard warming in Hawaii (above 10000 feet or so) while not at the summit here are the current conditions close by. Current conditions at

Bradshaw Army Air Field / Hawaii (PHSF)  Fog/Mist

52°F

Lat: 19.78°NLon: 155.55°WElev: 6191ft.

Now that said here is the weather forecast for the next several days

Today

Occasional showers and possibly a thunderstorm. Some of the storms could produce heavy rainfall. High near 46. Strong and damaging winds, with an east southeast wind 10 to 20 mph becoming southwest 45 to 55 mph. Winds could gust as high as 80 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New rainfall amounts between three quarters and one inch possible.

Tonight

Showers and possibly a thunderstorm. Some of the storms could produce heavy rainfall. Low around 36. Strong and damaging winds, with a southwest wind 50 to 60 mph decreasing to 31 to 41 mph. Winds could gust as high as 90 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New rainfall amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.

Sunday

Showers and possibly a thunderstorm. Some of the storms could produce heavy rainfall. High near 48. Very windy, with a south wind 21 to 31 mph becoming northeast 7 to 12 mph. Winds could gust as high as 45 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New rainfall amounts between three quarters and one inch possible.

Sunday Night

Showers and possibly a thunderstorm. Some of the storms could produce heavy rainfall. Low around 39. Windy, with a south southwest wind 21 to 29 mph, with gusts as high as 41 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New rainfall amounts between 1 and 2 inches possible.

Monday

Showers and possibly a thunderstorm before 8am, then showers likely. Some of the storms could produce heavy rainfall. High near 48. Breezy, with a southeast wind 15 to 21 mph, with gusts as high as 29 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New precipitation amounts between three quarters and one inch possible.

So no snow fall at just over 6000 feet.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, MIKEKC said:

Clinton.....need to get rid of that dang positive AO Positive NAO, positive everything!!!!! I just don;t think we are going to see anything exciting in our area until we get those to go negative. The storm next weekend is there, but, the trends are for it to track NW of us and flood our area with once again, warmer than average temps. May shoot into the 60's again later this week. After that storm passes, more of the same, WARM! 

The GFS has been pretty good  in the last month showing these warm-ups, we have to believe it until it breaks..

Remember last December, +5 degrees on temps and not much winter at all that month. (we might be heading towards that again) But, Jan. 1 came and we had a pretty good winter after that, no big snows, but frequent smaller snows. OF course, the beautiful 2 week stretch of arctic air and 3-4 snows in Feb. So..........it's early, plenty of time for some change. 

I saw Gary's winter forecast, I just don't see where this pattern can produce average temps and the 10-14 day arctic air hit that he is forecasting. Where does he see that? Based off of what in the first cycle? I see how last year's Feb. outbreak happened, we had a 10-15 day record breaking cold outbreak in OCT. and that returned in cycle 3. (it did not happen in cycle 2) I don't see where we could set up shop on the cold air..sure, a couple hits here and there, but, 10-14 days. The W/SW ridge has been so dominate in the first cycle, I just don't think we can get rid of that. 

I think we see more rain storms than snow this winter, I think temps will be well above average and I just don't think we can get more than 12 inches of snow or so.  As you know, I hope I'm horribly wrong. 

I'll be the biggest cheerleader when I see the eyes of a true pattern change, but for now, you have to believe what we are seeing is going to continue for a little wild longer. I do like your idea of a colder late December and early Jan. period, If I'm reading the LRC right, I think we have a chance at that. 

I'll take a few more weeks of some warm and than BAM! Snow for the holidays. Let's set our goal for that. HA! 

BTW...I'm not giving up on next weekend's storm. I'll patiently wait for the data to change. Let's Go! 

Euro and Canadian are still south.  But I don't trust a forecast for snow in KC until it's actually snowing.  Even then, I remain skeptical. Ha.

  • Like 2
  • scream 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, someweatherdude said:

Euro and Canadian are still south.  But I don't trust a forecast for snow in KC until it's actually snowing.  Even then, I remain skeptical. Ha.

I have a feeling I moved to an area that's harder to forecast especially since this place averages less snow. 

  • Like 1

ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif

Ashland, KY Weather

'21-'22 Cold Season

Snowfall - 7.5"
December: 0.1"
January: 7.4"
February: _._"

Snow days: 4 (4.0" Jan 16-17)
Highs <32: 1 (21 Jan 7th)
Min: 7 (Jan 8th)
Max wind: 30mph (Dec 25th)

[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Timmy_Supercell said:

I have a feeling I moved to an area that's harder to forecast especially since this place averages less snow. 

I've never lived on the West Coast, so I can't say for sure.  But the middle part of the country is pretty difficult for weather forecasters.  Here's a quote from a study/survey from 2014: 

Among cities that do fall within the most populous metro areas, those with the most unpredictable weather are as follows:

  1. Kansas City, Missouri;
  2. Oklahoma City;
  3. Minneapolis;
  4. Cincinnati;
  5. Indianapolis;
  6. St. Louis;
  7. Birmingham, Alabama;
  8. Boston;
  9. Milwaukee;
  10. Dallas.
  • Like 2
  • scream 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, someweatherdude said:

I've never lived on the West Coast, so I can't say for sure.  But the middle part of the country is pretty difficult for weather forecasters.  Here's a quote from a study/survey from 2014: 

Among cities that do fall within the most populous metro areas, those with the most unpredictable weather are as follows:

  1. Kansas City, Missouri;
  2. Oklahoma City;
  3. Minneapolis;
  4. Cincinnati;
  5. Indianapolis;
  6. St. Louis;
  7. Birmingham, Alabama;
  8. Boston;
  9. Milwaukee;
  10. Dallas.

Figured OKC would be up there on that list. 

Well if you're talking Portland or Seattle snow, a lot of the bigger ones are surprises. As a kid I used to live west of the cascades, there were 3 year segments I didn't see anything, then when it did snow you never believed the weather man on tv. 

Klamath Falls was a bit different, over 4000 feet high and we had winter every year. 

  • Like 1
  • Snow 1

ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif

Ashland, KY Weather

'21-'22 Cold Season

Snowfall - 7.5"
December: 0.1"
January: 7.4"
February: _._"

Snow days: 4 (4.0" Jan 16-17)
Highs <32: 1 (21 Jan 7th)
Min: 7 (Jan 8th)
Max wind: 30mph (Dec 25th)

[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, someweatherdude said:

I've never lived on the West Coast, so I can't say for sure.  But the middle part of the country is pretty difficult for weather forecasters.  Here's a quote from a study/survey from 2014: 

Among cities that do fall within the most populous metro areas, those with the most unpredictable weather are as follows:

  1. Kansas City, Missouri;
  2. Oklahoma City;
  3. Minneapolis;
  4. Cincinnati;
  5. Indianapolis;
  6. St. Louis;
  7. Birmingham, Alabama;
  8. Boston;
  9. Milwaukee;
  10. Dallas.

I have given much thought to this. I lived many years in Pennsylvania  and Maryland  where i followed models and local forecasters  closely. Places like phili, balt, dc, Harrisburg  including  3 or 4 nws offices.  Ive lived in Iowa for 14 yrs.  Theres zero doubt in my mind that models are not as accurate  here especially  in summer.  Predicting lift, LLJ etc  seems very difficult.   The nws offices also seem not up to par with those east.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We could probably fire up a thread by tomorrow for the weekend storm if it continues to show promise.  All global models show it and most fairly strong.  There are actually a few shots at snow in the next 7 days, so it has the potential to be active for a good portion of the forum.  

  • Like 1
  • Snow 1

Season Snowfall: 0.00"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Stacsh said:

Looks like I’ll be golfing in mid-December.  Hope to have winter come by Xmas.  Until then, enjoy the mild weather.  Peace.  

I stuck my hand into the lake yesterday thinking of taking out my jet ski lol. But no one else was out there, if I hurt myself or break down I am really screwed.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Mr Marine Layer said:

Are you in your new house? 

Yes I've been at the house since late November.

  • Like 2

ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif

Ashland, KY Weather

'21-'22 Cold Season

Snowfall - 7.5"
December: 0.1"
January: 7.4"
February: _._"

Snow days: 4 (4.0" Jan 16-17)
Highs <32: 1 (21 Jan 7th)
Min: 7 (Jan 8th)
Max wind: 30mph (Dec 25th)

[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Stacsh said:

No longer longer wintery in SMI in the near future.   Bring back the clipper pattern!   

GRR

Quote

image.png.d183eedb539a1aa432821dac43b25419.png

NOTE: When we issue this headline, it will be from 1 block NORTH of Stacsh's house, on north to US10.

Things are slower, less amped-up on the NAM. This will limit the serious WAA shown on earlier model runs that really bombed this sucker over NMI. Looks like the N half of The Mitt may escape the sloppy rain/mix altogether and just go into the dryslot. Meanwhile, frozen is more likely further south than originally thought. Was surprised how quickly it dropped into the 30's here even before dark.

Winter 2021-22 Snow Total = 9.2"  Largest Storm: 4.2" (11/27)        Oct: 0.0 Nov: 7.7 Dec: 1.5 Jan: 0.0 Feb: 0.0 Mar: 0.0 Apr: 0.0

 

Annual avg for mby = XX.X" ??

2020-21 = 36.2"  2019-20 = 48.0"  2018-19 = 56.1"  2017-18 = 68.3"   2016-17 = 52"   2015-16 = 57.4"   2014-15 = 55.3"   2013-14 = 100.6" (coldest & snowiest in the modern record!)  2012-13 = 47.2"   2011-12 = 43.7"

 

Legit Blizzards (high winds and dbl digit snows): Feb 2011, Dec 2009, Jan 2005, Dec 2000, Jan 1999, Mar 1998, Nov 1989, Jan 1982, Jan 1978, Jan 1977, Apr 1975, Mar 1973, Jan 1967, Feb 1965, Jan 1918

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Stacsh said:

I’m ok with 1 day of wind and blowing snow that won’t amount to much , but come on.  Blow torch coming.  

That was talking about the front-end snow/mix. You are north of 96, correct?

Winter 2021-22 Snow Total = 9.2"  Largest Storm: 4.2" (11/27)        Oct: 0.0 Nov: 7.7 Dec: 1.5 Jan: 0.0 Feb: 0.0 Mar: 0.0 Apr: 0.0

 

Annual avg for mby = XX.X" ??

2020-21 = 36.2"  2019-20 = 48.0"  2018-19 = 56.1"  2017-18 = 68.3"   2016-17 = 52"   2015-16 = 57.4"   2014-15 = 55.3"   2013-14 = 100.6" (coldest & snowiest in the modern record!)  2012-13 = 47.2"   2011-12 = 43.7"

 

Legit Blizzards (high winds and dbl digit snows): Feb 2011, Dec 2009, Jan 2005, Dec 2000, Jan 1999, Mar 1998, Nov 1989, Jan 1982, Jan 1978, Jan 1977, Apr 1975, Mar 1973, Jan 1967, Feb 1965, Jan 1918

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, jaster220 said:

That was talking about the front-end snow/mix. You are north of 96, correct?

By about a mile.  I was reading the rest of the discussion lol.  Might get some flakes and freezing drizzle but should turn to plain rain as usual.  I like storms though so hoping for a decent snow squall and wind on the back side.   But yes.  96 seems to separate storms like the system is conscious and knows the dividing line.  

  • lol 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jaster220 said:

GRR

Things are slower, less amped-up on the NAM. This will limit the serious WAA shown on earlier model runs that really bombed this sucker over NMI. Looks like the N half of The Mitt may escape the sloppy rain/mix altogether and just go into the dryslot. Meanwhile, frozen is more likely further south than originally thought. Was surprised how quickly it dropped into the 30's here even before dark.

I’m down to 28.4 atm

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

and now does the EURO and CMC and even ICON... Dec is setting up to be an epic fail for those who deemed it cold and snowy for the majority reading. I dont see any cold air until maybe the last 11 days of the month....   For sure the 1st half is going to be near 10F above normal for many.

  • Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Sick 1

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Grizzcoat said:

and now does the EURO and CMC and even ICON... Dec is setting up to be an epic fail for those who deemed it cold and snowy for the majority reading. I dont see any cold air until maybe the last 11 days of the month....   For sure the 1st half is going to be near 10F above normal for many.

Ya, it's pretty much trending that way...looks like I'll be doing some more outdoor grilling in DEC...I almost don't care to see any snow from the possible system next weekend bc it'll be gone in a day or two. 

2 things: 1) Terrible Teleconnections  2) Polar Vortex not playing ball

 

  • Like 2
  • lol 1
  • Sad 1
  • Sick 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

First off congrats to Michigan and their big win over Iowa last night! The overnight low here was 28 and with cloudy skies it is now 31. Yesterday the official high at GRR was 41 with a lot of sunshine before the clouds moved in. The first 4 days of December have been very mild and the departure for the month is now at +3.8 and so far just 0.6" of snow fall.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 for a low in Ashland. First day this month the sun didn't come out at least in the morning anyhow.

  • Like 2

ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif

Ashland, KY Weather

'21-'22 Cold Season

Snowfall - 7.5"
December: 0.1"
January: 7.4"
February: _._"

Snow days: 4 (4.0" Jan 16-17)
Highs <32: 1 (21 Jan 7th)
Min: 7 (Jan 8th)
Max wind: 30mph (Dec 25th)

[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, OmahaSnowFan said:

540 line all the way to Hudson Bay in mid December.

63A33C12-F491-416E-B9FD-B561149727E3.jpeg

AC2CBF84-2D18-4B25-A079-2483922A318A.jpeg

If its gonna be that warm, I hope it produces storms. Otherwise, lol.

  • Like 1
  • Sun 1

ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif

Ashland, KY Weather

'21-'22 Cold Season

Snowfall - 7.5"
December: 0.1"
January: 7.4"
February: _._"

Snow days: 4 (4.0" Jan 16-17)
Highs <32: 1 (21 Jan 7th)
Min: 7 (Jan 8th)
Max wind: 30mph (Dec 25th)

[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Clinton said:

Looks like western Ky has a shot of severe weather today.  What part of Kentucky are you in?

Ashland is right along the Ohio river, so far eastern. There are commuters from WV/OH driving through Ashland daily.

I think Charleston NWS covers our weather and alerts.

  • Like 2

ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif

Ashland, KY Weather

'21-'22 Cold Season

Snowfall - 7.5"
December: 0.1"
January: 7.4"
February: _._"

Snow days: 4 (4.0" Jan 16-17)
Highs <32: 1 (21 Jan 7th)
Min: 7 (Jan 8th)
Max wind: 30mph (Dec 25th)

[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think I'm just a 15 minute drive from both Ohio and West Virginia from here. The bridges are pretty close to my house.

  • Like 1

ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif

Ashland, KY Weather

'21-'22 Cold Season

Snowfall - 7.5"
December: 0.1"
January: 7.4"
February: _._"

Snow days: 4 (4.0" Jan 16-17)
Highs <32: 1 (21 Jan 7th)
Min: 7 (Jan 8th)
Max wind: 30mph (Dec 25th)

[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Stacsh said:

By about a mile.  I was reading the rest of the discussion lol.  Might get some flakes and freezing drizzle but should turn to plain rain as usual.  I like storms though so hoping for a decent snow squall and wind on the back side.   But yes.  96 seems to separate storms like the system is conscious and knows the dividing line.  

If 96 went ENE from MKG instead of ESE, it would be the perfect dividing line of the 2 wx zones for the LP of Michigan. So yeah, it's often the case. Hopefully, the backside LES over-performs for SWMI. I know APX is expecting it to for NWMI, but they get the best ingredients further north. Looking like Nov and Dec swapped roles again this season for here. Oh well won't have to deal with slippery roads and all that comes with a snowy Dec during the busiest time of year. One small silver lining. Enjoy the squalls tomorrow.

Winter 2021-22 Snow Total = 9.2"  Largest Storm: 4.2" (11/27)        Oct: 0.0 Nov: 7.7 Dec: 1.5 Jan: 0.0 Feb: 0.0 Mar: 0.0 Apr: 0.0

 

Annual avg for mby = XX.X" ??

2020-21 = 36.2"  2019-20 = 48.0"  2018-19 = 56.1"  2017-18 = 68.3"   2016-17 = 52"   2015-16 = 57.4"   2014-15 = 55.3"   2013-14 = 100.6" (coldest & snowiest in the modern record!)  2012-13 = 47.2"   2011-12 = 43.7"

 

Legit Blizzards (high winds and dbl digit snows): Feb 2011, Dec 2009, Jan 2005, Dec 2000, Jan 1999, Mar 1998, Nov 1989, Jan 1982, Jan 1978, Jan 1977, Apr 1975, Mar 1973, Jan 1967, Feb 1965, Jan 1918

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thunderstorms do excite me if you haven't noticed. Back in central-eastern Oregon it was maybe twice a year we'd see a severe t'storm watch issued by the SPC. 

  • Like 2
  • Storm 1

ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif

Ashland, KY Weather

'21-'22 Cold Season

Snowfall - 7.5"
December: 0.1"
January: 7.4"
February: _._"

Snow days: 4 (4.0" Jan 16-17)
Highs <32: 1 (21 Jan 7th)
Min: 7 (Jan 8th)
Max wind: 30mph (Dec 25th)

[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Grizzcoat said:

and now does the EURO and CMC and even ICON... Dec is setting up to be an epic fail for those who deemed it cold and snowy for the majority reading. I dont see any cold air until maybe the last 11 days of the month....   For sure the 1st half is going to be near 10F above normal for many.

If that system wasn't going to be followed by another shot of arctic cold, it was DOA so not really surprised to see the models do a turn-about on it's development. Just so sad how nothing works in December any more.

  • Sad 2

Winter 2021-22 Snow Total = 9.2"  Largest Storm: 4.2" (11/27)        Oct: 0.0 Nov: 7.7 Dec: 1.5 Jan: 0.0 Feb: 0.0 Mar: 0.0 Apr: 0.0

 

Annual avg for mby = XX.X" ??

2020-21 = 36.2"  2019-20 = 48.0"  2018-19 = 56.1"  2017-18 = 68.3"   2016-17 = 52"   2015-16 = 57.4"   2014-15 = 55.3"   2013-14 = 100.6" (coldest & snowiest in the modern record!)  2012-13 = 47.2"   2011-12 = 43.7"

 

Legit Blizzards (high winds and dbl digit snows): Feb 2011, Dec 2009, Jan 2005, Dec 2000, Jan 1999, Mar 1998, Nov 1989, Jan 1982, Jan 1978, Jan 1977, Apr 1975, Mar 1973, Jan 1967, Feb 1965, Jan 1918

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm legit starting to get concerned they're going to close down the ski resorts for part of december. It's going to sleet/rain/snow today, I was out Friday and the base was already so low dirt was popping up in spots. We are getting this little three day stretch of really good snow making weather and it looks like everyone is going to have to hang on until after the 20th if these models verify.

  • Sad 3
  • Storm 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Tom unpinned this topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...