The Weather Forums

PNW December 2021 Observations

46 minutes ago, Mr Marine Layer said:

54 ain't warm.

Our normal high for the date is 48F and we are looking at a +7F or so departure for today.

Currently +6.3F on the month so far.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Springfield, Oregon cold season 21-22 Stats:

• Coldest high: 35F (Dec 27, 2021)
  • Coldest low: 26F (Dec 27, 2021)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 11 (Most recent: Jan 9, 2022)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Dec 29, 2021)
  • Total snowfall: 10.0"
  • Last accumulating snowfall: December 28, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31F) *Longest streak without a sub-freezing high on record*
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 30.7"

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @358jerseys4hope

6 minutes ago, TigerWoodsLibido said:

Our normal high for the date is 48F and we are looking at a +7F or so departure for the today.

Currently +6.3F on the month so far.

You're not the only one. We'll be cooler for the next few days with some snow.Then we'll be around 40 on Wednesday with rain. More cooler weather follows after that. Warm rain returns again by next weekend.

• Sad 1
  • Rain 1

Took a drive up to Snoqualmie Ridge at 1100'. Positive splat test and almost snowing, I mean really, really close. I could've jumped and gone above the snow level. Some mixed flakes falling. Just 150' lower 30 seconds down the road and absolutely nothing, barely any splats even.

• Like 8

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

-Total snowfall since joining: 36.5"

-2018-19: 21"

-2019-20: 2.5"

-2020-21: 13"

-2021-22: 8.25"

-Most recent snowfall: 2”; December 30th, 2021

-Largest snowfall (single storm): 8.5"; February 12-13, 2021

-Largest snow depth: 14"; 1:30am February 12th, 2019

Temperatures:

-Warmest: 109F; June 28th, 2021

-Coldest: 14F; November 24th, 2010

9 minutes ago, Meatyorologist said:

Took a drive up to Snoqualmie Ridge at 1100'. Positive splat test and almost snowing, I mean really, really close. I could've jumped and gone above the snow level. Some mixed flakes falling. Just 150' lower 30 seconds down the road and absolutely nothing, barely any splats even.

Nice! You took the drive that I couldn’t today 😃

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Meatyorologist said:

If you had a snow itch... you should have just drove a little past Snoqualmie Ridge.   It was a winter wonderland all day just east of North Bend.

• Like 4

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Parents came to visit today from Carnation. They said it was snowing fairly decently over Tiger Mountain around 11 or so. Nothing but cold rain here for most of the day outside of a brief mix this morning. 42/37 so far today with a current temp of 38. 

Current score for those keeping track at home... Euro: 1 GFS: 0

Highly suspect GFS will be down another loss after Monday morning.

• Like 2

Weather station: https://maplevalleywx.com

9 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

If you had a snow itch... you should have just drove a little past Snoqualmie Ridge.   It was a winter wonderland all day just east of North Bend.

I would honestly just drive more up to the summit. If you gonna go, go big. 

• Like 2

1326624B-7E1A-4287-9224-EB31A6D3CEEC.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excited 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2021-22: 31.1                         2021-22: 40.64" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 

3 minutes ago, Cloud said:

Wow… the leavenworth snow did not stick around for long today. Kinda disappointing. Pretty sure this time of year is when they have some nice snow cover already. 

We have gone to Leavenworth on the first weekend of December for 6 of the past 8 years and a clear majority of those times there was snow on the ground. A couple times had decent snow falling while we were there, which just makes it that much more magical. Awesome place. 

• Like 1

Weather station: https://maplevalleywx.com

1 minute ago, hawkstwelve said:

We have gone to Leavenworth on the first weekend of December for 6 of the past 8 years and a clear majority of those times there was snow on the ground. A couple times had decent snow falling while we were there, which just makes it that much more magical. Awesome place. 

Yeah. AFAIR, the few times I’ve been over there in December there were snow on the ground. We’re planning on going next weekend or the week before Christmas… actually getting nervous. No point in going if there is no snow there.

34 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Was more of a scenic detour than a conceited drive to “see snow”, but I bet it was pretty up there. Saw the snow line *just* up on the hills to the south.

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

-Total snowfall since joining: 36.5"

-2018-19: 21"

-2019-20: 2.5"

-2020-21: 13"

-2021-22: 8.25"

-Most recent snowfall: 2”; December 30th, 2021

-Largest snowfall (single storm): 8.5"; February 12-13, 2021

-Largest snow depth: 14"; 1:30am February 12th, 2019

Temperatures:

-Warmest: 109F; June 28th, 2021

-Coldest: 14F; November 24th, 2010

19 minutes ago, nwsnow said:

What's the elevation of that area just east of you?

On I-90... you start around 450 feet in North Bend and climb to just over 3,000 feet in 20 miles.   Judging by the WSDOT cams the sticking snow was probably above 1,500 feet.  

• Like 2

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

29 minutes ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

1326624B-7E1A-4287-9224-EB31A6D3CEEC.jpeg

Depressing.

• Sad 2

Springfield, Oregon cold season 21-22 Stats:

• Coldest high: 35F (Dec 27, 2021)
  • Coldest low: 26F (Dec 27, 2021)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 11 (Most recent: Jan 9, 2022)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Dec 29, 2021)
  • Total snowfall: 10.0"
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31F) *Longest streak without a sub-freezing high on record*
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 30.7"

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @358jerseys4hope

3 hours ago, Timmy_Supercell said:

Will be slow getting the house totally set up; we're getting the upstairs carpeted. The way the place was not cleaned for years, I think the wood flooring is beyond cleaning it. lol

Just got blinds for the windows. Strangely the people that lived here took everything that normally would be left, there isn't even screens for windows. 

Sounds a lot like my house, the owner left it for his drug addicted son and he trashed it.  Bank eventually took it back and had to do a lot of repairs including patching holes in the wall, replacing the carpet, linoleum in the bathrooms & utility room and the stove.  All but one or 2 sets of blinds were gone, and the ones left behind were pretty trashed.  We got a good deal on the house, so its all good.  Oh, and all of the screens were gone as well, so I got pretty proficient at making window screens.

Glad to hear you are getting settled in!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kayla said:

We're running a +25F degree departure so far this month...I'd love to see some actual cold more than anyone at this point!

Yeah I was listening to the Bobcats game today and they said it was 57 there....very windy, but still 57.  Toasty for December in Montana!

Cat's advanced to the next round of the playoffs and my son played his last home game with the marching band.  Hopefully they take at least some of the band to the game down in Houston next weekend.

19 minutes ago, Chewbacca Defense said:

Sounds a lot like my house, the owner left it for his drug addicted son and he trashed it.  Bank eventually took it back and had to do a lot of repairs including patching holes in the wall, replacing the carpet, linoleum in the bathrooms & utility room and the stove.  All but one or 2 sets of blinds were gone, and the ones left behind were pretty trashed.  We got a good deal on the house, so its all good.  Oh, and all of the screens were gone as well, so I got pretty proficient at making window screens.

At least the walls are in decent shape, a few areas need repainting but doable. There was a family that rented this house, so it could be worse I guess. 

One of the bathrooms has a casement window (cranks open) and it's the one bathroom without a fan, but also the only bath with a full tub and shower. Win some and lose some ;) We technically have 3 baths so it's a nice place for multiple people. 

• Like 3

ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif

Ashland, KY Weather

'21-'22 Cold Season

Snowfall - 6.5"
December: 0.1"
January: 6.4"
February: _._"

Snow days: 3 (3.0" Jan 16th)
Highs <32: 1 (21 Jan 7th)
Min: 7 (Jan 8th)
Max wind: 30mph (Dec 25th)

[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

1 hour ago, Cloud said:

Wow… the leavenworth snow did not stick around for long today. Kinda disappointing. Pretty sure this time of year is when they have some nice snow cover already. 

Usually the date where the snow cover begins that lasts the rest of the winter is about December 7th or so.  Normal to have snow earlier than that which melts (we had about 4 inches in November).  So really pretty normal to not have long term snow cover yet.  Sometimes happens.

• Like 3
  • Snow 1

18z GEFS Day 10-16 - Nice improvements with the ridge evolving into a block setting up near the sweet spot ~160 W with a fair degree of amplification and a persistent southeast/eastern ridge. In response to this arctic air moves south through British Columbia/Alberta just slipping over the Canadian border. If the block continues to migrate east just a bit further fun things are ahead! Here we go!

floop-gefs-2021120418.500h_anom_na.gif

floop-gefs-2021120418.850th.conus(1).gif

• Like 5

47 minutes ago, Chewbacca Defense said:

I think ugly and battered (but otherwise structurally sound) homes are the best deals going. You get a discount for the ugliness, and can de-uglify it according to your own tastes. By contrast, “turnkey” properties generally pander to the lowest common denominator when it comes to aesthetics (they have to, in order to maximize overall market appeal).

• Like 2
It's called clown range for a reason.

9 minutes ago, DJ Droppin said:

18z GEFS Day 10-16 - Nice improvements with the ridge evolving into a block setting up near the sweet spot ~160 W with a fair degree of amplification and a persistent southeast/eastern ridge. In response to this arctic air moves south through British Columbia/Alberta just slipping over the Canadian border. If the block continues to migrate east just a bit further fun things are ahead! Here we go!

floop-gefs-2021120418.500h_anom_na.gif

floop-gefs-2021120418.850th.conus(1).gif

Nebraska looks to stay snowless.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Brian_in_Leavenworth said:

Usually the date where the snow cover begins that lasts the rest of the winter is about December 7th or so.  Normal to have snow earlier than that which melts (we had about 4 inches in November).  So really pretty normal to not have long term snow cover yet.  Sometimes happens.

What is the longest time to have snow on the ground without melting in Leavenworth?

00Z ICON for Monday... worth noting that the ICON was better than the GFS by a long shot for the system today.    Not even close. 

icon-all-washington-total_snow_10to1-8835200 (2).png

13 minutes ago, Mr Marine Layer said:

What is the longest time to have snow on the ground without melting in Leavenworth?

Dont know historically, but from my limited experience it would be close to 4 months.  One year we the snow cover started just before Thanksgiving and went to sometime mid March or so. 

Usually it's about 3 months. It will start to melt in early March, which can take a few weeks. And then you get areas in shade where it lasts another week or 2 compared to sunny areas.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MossMan said:

Down to 31, everything is froze up. 

Clearing line is moving south fast... already down to I-90.      We never clear out that quick behind a gunky system like this one.

• Like 1
  • Windy 1

14 minutes ago, Brian_in_Leavenworth said:

Dont know historically, but from my limited experience it would be close to 4 months.  One year we the snow cover started just before Thanksgiving and went to sometime mid March or so. 

Usually it's about 3 months. It will start to melt in early March, which can take a few weeks. And then you get areas in shade where it lasts another week or 2 compared to sunny areas.  

Sounds a lot snowier than Seattle. 

7 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

GFS for Monday... its just going to stick with this right up until the event starts like it did today.

gfs-deterministic-washington-snow_24hr-8835200 (2).png

Now watch that map be too light with snow totals 🤣

• Like 1
  • Excited 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

• iFred changed the title to PNW December 2021 Observations
  • iFred featured this topic
  • iFred locked, unpinned and unfeatured this topic