12/10 to 12/11 Upper Midwest Snow Storm

bud2380

The early 00z models runs look north.  The HRRR, NAM, and 3kNAM show little if any snow down to Cedar Rapids.  It should be quite a storm across southern Minnesota.  MPX is going with a band of 9-14" south of the metro.

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

00z runs basically eliminate the defo band down through eastern iowa that the Euro had been showing. Its much further north and not as strong.  The 18z Euro showed the same.  I think we'll be lucky to get any flakes down here.  Its a southern MN special and into WI.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, OmahaSnowFan said:

Aren't you headed to the TC? They look golden!!

By the time I get off work its gonna be terrible driving conditions in southern MN (I assume) so ill be stuck at home getting flurries and freezing drizzle while the TC gets 15". Yeah I'm excited lol. Oh well, it will be 70 and gone next Wednesday anyway.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, bud2380 said:

1639245600-SKQsue0Bffg.png

D**n!  That's a "twin cities" special!  I texted my old friend of mine up in the burbs of MSP and he's pretty excited about this one.  I think this is a classic MSP to MQT GL's cutter in the works.  The 1st legit CO LOW of the season...good luck to all of you up north...

00z Euro...

1.png

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tom said:

These type of systems have a tendency to jog farther north than progged...the lack of up stream blocking and the fact that this storm is deepening while racing NE would have me worried if I was on the southern end of the RN/SN line.

Give me 30 more mi north here😉

It's finally nice to see the Rockies and SW U.S. getting much welcomed precip...I originally thought this storm would be tracking into this region a little earlier in the month.  Needless to say, the snow up in the mountains is eye candy for the ski resorts right before the holiday season.  They should be getting feet of snow over the next 2 weeks.

BTW, this is the first precip in over a month for AZ and locations nearby (*58 days officially at PHX)...the valley got a very good dose of mod/heavy rain with general .50" totals valley wide.  Nice good soaking.

Screen Shot 2021-12-10 at 12.50.35 AM.png

• Rain 1

It's looking like the Euro's secondary, farther south, defo zone will be a bust.  Models have backed off of anything decent for much of central to eastern Iowa.  I may be lucky to get a half inch, and it will fall between 2-5am so I won't see any of it.

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"