12/14-12/16 Upper MW Powerhouse System

Tom

Mayfield twister upgraded to an E4!

wow. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

Hate to sound like your mother but….

” Please be careful guys. Take no chances. These storms have some serious attitude.” 

• Like 1

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

I'm back home. Crazy to be chasing in December in Nebraska. So many tornado warnings! I ended up on the part of the line northwest of Omaha about 45 miles. I found a place to pull over on the side of the road just 1 mile west of Snyder, NE and was watching the radar velocity scans closely. There was a couplet to my west and an area of interest crossed the highway in front of me. At first just looked like an interesting lowering at the front of the whale's mouth, but it became more pronounced and lower rather rapidly with pretty obvious rotation. Shortly thereafter, you could see dust being lifted up and towards the lowering. Unfortunately, the line soon overtook me as the lowering raced north. I measured a 79.0 mph wind gust with my anemometer on top of my car. I waited for the line to cross me and noticed the area that had crossed to my west now had a confirmed tornado with it. Pretty big debris area on the correlation coefficient too. Unfortunately, there was no way to catch back up with it with the storm motions.

I headed back southeast towards Blair, NE as the part of the line that had a tornado warning for just west of the Omaha metro was racing northeast. So many times chasing, I've been in the same position and easily was able to get out in front of the storms, and foolishly thought I had a chance. Nope the storms easily beat me across the highway heading back to Missouri Valley that I was on about 3 hours earlier. There was a report of 80 mph winds in the area and this is where I saw the flipped semi, but saw little other damage.

I decided to call off the chase and stopped at a gas station along I-29 at Missouri Valley. It was here where it started to rain lightly again with pretty big drops. However, I immediately noticed how dirty my car became while it was raining. Dust from Kansas had made it all the way to eastern Nebraska up in the atmosphere and was now falling back to the ground with the rain. Driving back into Omaha in the dark, looked really foggy, but I could smell the dirt smell coming through the vents in the car.

I'll pull some images off my iPad soon!

• Like 6
  • Excited 1
  • scream 1

2 hours ago, mlgamer said:

Power went out in my area 15 minutes ago and was not expecting this...not yet anyway. Line of storms just to west heading this way. Is this really December?!?

Interesting. We were asking the same thing in the Texas blackout last year.  

Condolences. .  

9 minutes ago, OmahaSnowFan said:

I'm back home. Crazy to be chasing in December in Nebraska. So many tornado warnings! I ended up on the part of the line northwest of Omaha about 45 miles. I found a place to pull over on the side of the road just 1 mile west of Snyder, NE and was watching the radar velocity scans closely. There was a couplet to my west and an area of interest crossed the highway in front of me. At first just looked like an interesting lowering at the front of the whale's mouth, but it became more pronounced and lower rather rapidly with pretty obvious rotation. Shortly thereafter, you could see dust being lifted up and towards the lowering. Unfortunately, the line soon overtook me as the lowering raced north. I measured a 79.0 mph wind gust with my anemometer on top of my car. I waited for the line to cross me and noticed the area that had crossed to my west now had a confirmed tornado with it. Pretty big debris area on the correlation coefficient too. Unfortunately, there was no way to catch back up with it with the storm motions.

I headed back southeast towards Blair, NE as the part of the line that had a tornado warning for just west of the Omaha metro was racing northeast. So many times chasing, I've been in the same position and easily was able to get out in front of the storms, and foolishly thought I had a chance. Nope the storms easily beat me across the highway heading back to Missouri Valley that I was on about 3 hours earlier. There was a report of 80 mph winds in the area and this is where I saw the flipped semi, but saw little other damage.

I decided to call off the chase and stopped at a gas station along I-29 at Missouri Valley. It was here where it started to rain lightly again with pretty big drops. However, I immediately noticed how dirty my car became while it was raining. Dust from Kansas had made it all the way to eastern Nebraska up in the atmosphere and was now falling back to the ground with the rain. Driving back into Omaha in the dark, looked really foggy, but I could smell the dirt smell coming through the vents in the car.

I'll pull some images off my iPad soon!

Sounds like you had an exciting day.  Great job on this system, you were on it days ago even before the SPC had issued a slight risk.  Hope everyone up north stays safe tonight.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Bellona said:

Almost here in Waterloo. James should be getting rocked!

Screenshot_20211215-191626.png

I did. It was intense. Sirens were going off. Wind and rain hit at once. Power went off. Bout 15mins later it was done and power was back. But it was nerve racking for a bit. Now I await for the non convective winds. This will be interesting. 

• Like 4

After 3 hours the power is back on and things seem to be quieting down somewhat (even though the strong smoke smell is still around) so back to civilization it is. Hopefully everyone gets through this OK. I haver never seen anything like this, in December no less. This is one for the ages!

• Like 7

23-24 seasonal snow total: 17.8" (as of 3/9/24)

3 minutes ago, mlgamer said:

After 3 hours the power is back on and things seem to be quieting down somewhat (even though the strong smoke smell is still around) so back to civilization it is. Hopefully everyone gets through this OK. I haver never seen anything like this, in December no less. This is one for the ages!

I think I figured out where that awful smoke smell is coming from.

KSC167-160445-

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED
FIRE WARNING
KANSAS EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT AGENCY WICHITA KANSAS
RELAYED BY NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE WICHITA KS
734 PM CST WED DEC 15 2021

THE FOLLOWING MESSAGE IS TRANSMITTED AT THE REQUEST OF THE RUSSELL
COUNTY EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT.

A LARGE WILDFIRE IS ONGOING ACROSS NORTHERN RUSSELL COUNTY. GUSTY
WESTERLY WINDS WILL SHIFT TO THE NORTHWEST AND CONTINUE THROUGH
THE EVENING AND OVERNIGHT HOURS WHILE SLOWLY DIMINISHING IN
STRENGTH. PEOPLE ARE BEING ASKED TO AVOID LOCATIONS NORTH OF LAND
ROAD IN RUSSELL COUNTY WITH A LARGE FIRE IN PROGRESS.

PEOPLE IN NORTHWEST RUSSELL COUNTY SHOULD BE PREPARED TO TAKE
QUICK ACTION WHICH MAY INCLUDE EVACUATION IF WILDFIRE APPROACHES.
  • Like 4
  • scream 1

Just an insane day! I was forced to have my basketball practice this morning; then our admin made the call for an early out. I get home with my girls at 1:45 and watch as storms begin to blow up to my southwest. An hour later we are put into our first of what is 4 tornado warnings for my county. Loose power; wife makes it home at 4 and identifies my neighbors tree fell over and took out the power line. Finally get the power company here and watch as they fix the line; waiting patiently in the eye of the storm. Winds then turn to the northwest; ushering in blowing dust and it becomes too unbearable to stand outside anymore. Finally get power back at 7:45 and now I watch this historic storm unfold down stream. Hope everyone is ok; this is one is for the ages guys! Can't wait to see this thing cycle back the next couple times. Gonna be a wild mid winter and spring. 

• Like 8

The cell moving into Cedar Rapids from the sw has strengthened, so it should be a good storm.  Meanwhile, Iowa City may get little or nothing.

• Like 1

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

image.png.e745ff51bb482130ab829a354aec5aa7.png

• scream 6

Winter 2023-24 Snow Total = 52.8" (89% Normal Season)  Largest Storm: 12" (1/12-13)   Oct: 0.1 Nov: 2.9 Dec: 7.5 Jan: 31.7 Feb: 6.0 Mar: 4.1 Apr: 0.0

Avg = 59.2"  (Harrison): 2023-24 = xx.x" 

Avg = 45.0"  (KDTW): 2022-23 = 33.5"   2021-22 = 35.6"    

Avg = 49.7"  (KRMY): 2020-21 = 36.2"   2019-20 = 48.0"   2018-19 = 56.1"   2017-18 = 68.3"    2016-17 = 52"    2015-16 = 57.4"    2014-15 = 55.3"    2013-14 = 100.6" (coldest & snowiest in the modern record!)  2012-13 = 47.2"    2011-12 = 43.7"

Legit Blizzards (high winds and dbl digit snows): Feb 2011, Dec 2009, Jan 2005, Dec 2000, Jan 1999, Mar 1998, Nov 1989, Jan 1982, Jan 1978, Jan 1977, Apr 1975, Mar 1973, Jan 1967, Feb 1965, Jan 1918

The reddest part of the line passed just nw of Cedar Rapids.  I still got a solid storm, which lasted much longer than expected.  I'm sure we had many 50 mph gusts, with a couple up to 60 mph.  The strongest gusts were accompanied by a bit of small tree debris hitting the house.  I picked up 0.30" of rain.  The power has been briefly going off over the last 10 minutes.

• Like 3
  • Storm 1
  • scream 1

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

6 minutes ago, Hawkeye said:

The reddest part of the line passed just nw of Cedar Rapids.  I still got a solid storm, which lasted much longer than expected.  I'm sure we had many 50 mph gusts, with a couple up to 60 mph.  The strongest gusts were accompanied by a bit of small tree debris hitting the house.  I picked up 0.30" of rain.  The power has been briefly going off over the last 10 minutes.

Was a good one.  Hearing that a good chunk of NE CR doesn’t have power

Well.. was nasty! Ottumwa  airport had a gust  of 82 mph.  A large percentage  of town has lost power.   The line from the west fell apart but a quick cell blew up south edge of town.  Looked like had rotation. Dodge a bullet  I think.  But ridiculouslly I recieved  .001!!!! So  petty  much another dry front! 35 days and counting  no real precip! Its interesting  to hear reports of raining mud and smoke from kansas and colorado!

Screenshot_20211215-195346_Gallery.jpg

• Like 2
  • scream 2

Cold front has crashed through here!! I was eating supper around 730 when suddenly that second surge of winds started coming through. Could hear some banging of stuff outside and the airport is back up to 50+ mph gusts again.

I went down to our basement to do some work stuff and came back upstairs at 9 to see the temperature had tanked. It was 54.7 at 740p, 47.7 at 745p, and 42.6 at 750p, so a 12.1 degree drop in 10 minutes. At 840 it was down to 35.4 so a 19.3 degree drop in one hour. Now it's down to 33.4.

Barometric pressure has also risen from 29.31 to 29.67 in 2 hours. Talk about a pressure gradient!

All this after our all time record high for December at 74 degrees this afternoon.

• Like 5
  • scream 1

1 minute ago, OmahaSnowFan said:

Cold front has crashed through here!! I was eating supper around 730 when suddenly that second surge of winds started coming through. Could hear some banging of stuff outside and the airport is back up to 50+ mph gusts again.

I went down to our basement to do some work stuff and came back upstairs at 9 to see the temperature had tanked. It was 54.7 at 740p, 47.7 at 745p, and 42.6 at 750p, so a 12.1 degree drop in 10 minutes. At 840 it was down to 35.4 so a 19.3 degree drop in one hour. Now it's down to 33.4.

All this after our all time record high for December at 74 degrees this afternoon.

That is insane! 

Dropping fast here too with gusty winds. We're still in 70mph gust potential. Regardless, wild system area wide.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, OmahaSnowFan said:

Barometric pressure has also risen from 29.31 to 29.67 in 2 hours. Talk about a pressure gradient!

Absolutely a day to remember across a large part of the Midwest and especially here in the Omaha metro and surrounding areas... all-time December record warmth, to wild winds, to severe thunderstorms/ tornadoes, to more wild winds and reduced visibility due to dust/ smoke blowing in from Kansas, to crashing temperatures this evening. 

There was a lot of hype for today's winds and severe weather setup, and wow did it deliver around here. Glad that the storms didn't do too much damage in my neighborhood, outside of few things that weren't tied down getting tossed around and some small tree limbs down. 

• Like 4