The Weather Forums

Forum History

Respond to this thread if you were here from the WesternWx days or earlier. Respond with something like:

Found out about this community, "weathernwxforums" through Twitter
Lurked the Summer of 2010
Joined in the Fall of 2010
Old forum username was "iFred"

I am looking to get some things reorganized and cleaned up in preparation of getting the archive merged back into the forum. I also know some of you came through facebook, through Mark Nelson weather blog, and some I think through the OFA forums. Would be great to edit the profiles to reflect someone that has been at the core of the community since 1999 or so.

• Like 1
  • Snow 3
  • Storm 1

I was on the OFA forum in 2004 and met Jim back then in the lead up to the January 2005.   I think Randy was there too.   Been here since 2005 and I have had the same user name the entire time.   Pretty lame choice of a user name that has stuck for 17 years.  😀

• Like 2
  • Snow 3

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

I joined WesternWx in 2009, I think I heard about this place through the Farmer’s Almanac forum but I don’t remember 100%.

Started out as a (mostly) troll. Grew to love the community and developed legitimate interest in the climate of the PNW/other regions.

Amazed but grateful the forum mods put up with my shenanigans as long as they did. :D 

• Like 4
  • Snow 2

Joined back in November (?) 2018 when I was (more of) a weenie. Still one, but a more tempered sort! 

• Like 1
  • Snow 1
  • Windy 1

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

Was a part of the old OFA forums.  I remember Brennan, just a kid then.  He told me about a guy who knew a lot about weather and had taught him a lot.  He tried to convince this guy to join and he finally did 

His name was Jim.  Yup, the Wiz himself.

I looked at some old emails of mine and found that in 2007 the forum was offline so I sent an email to see when it would be back online. URL according to my email was Westernusawx.com

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Snow 2

1 minute ago, Brian_in_Leavenworth said:

Was a part of the old OFA forums.  I remember Brennan, just a kid then.  He told me about a guy who knew a lot about weather and had taught him a lot.  He tried to convince this guy to join and he finally did 

His name was Jim.  Yup, the Wiz himself.

I looked at some old emails of mine and found that in 2007 the forum was offline so I sent an email to see when it would be back online. URL according to my email was Westernusawx.com

And my name was Brian_in_Bellingham.  Changed it in 2013 when I moved to Leavenworth

• Like 2
  • Snow 2

I came via a Google search in August, 2012. I was living in Tujunga, CA and wanted to try to learn something about why it was so frickin' hot at my location that month.

Had my place in Eugene already (hence "Eujunga"). I suppose I could change my user name since I sold my Tujunga house in 2020, but, eh.

• Like 3
  • Sun 1
  • Snow 2

1 hour ago, TT-SEA said:

I was on the OFA forum in 2004 and met Jim back then in the lead up to the January 2005.   I think Randy was there too.   Been here since 2005 and I have had the same user name the entire time.   Pretty lame choice of a user name that has stuck for 17 years.  😀

Exactly what Tim said, my original username was R-Dub and then Lake Goodwin MossMan and then just MossMan. 

• Like 2
  • Snow 2

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Not sure how I exactly found the forum, but it was probably through Google. I think I lurked for at least a couple months if not longer, but pretty sure it was the February 2011 event that got me to start posting. And I think I've been "Skagit Weather" that whole time.

It's amazing that I've been on here for more than a decade and I've learned so much, even if it means I spend an unhealthy amount of time on here sifting through the analysis and the arguments. Probably one of my favorite sites I've ever discovered and hoping we get to virtually celebrate many more years of extreme weather/arctic blasts together.

• Like 2
  • Snow 2

Home Wx Station Stats (Since January 2008):

Max Temp: 96.3F (2009)   Min Temp: 2.0F (2008)   Max Wind Gust: 45 mph (2018, 2021)   Wettest Day: 2.43 (2012)   Avg Yearly Precip: 37"   10yr Avg Snow: 5.8"

Snowfall Totals

'08-09: 30" | '09-10: 0.5" | '10-11: 21" | '11-12: 9.5" | '12-13: 0.2" | '13-14: 6.2" | '14-15: 0.0" | '15-16: 0.25"| '16-17: 8.0" | '17-18: 0.9"| '18-19: 11.5" | '19-20: 11" | '20-21: 10.5"

2021-22: 17" (12/24: Tr, 12/25: 5", 12/26: 3", 12/27: 1.5", 12/28: Tr, 12/29: 1", 12/30: 3", 1/5: 2.5", 1/6: 1")

48 minutes ago, Deweydog said:

My original name was Deweydog back in the day. Used to be pretty sarcastic before I finally grew up and started flying right.

What year did you join the craziness?

• Snow 2

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

I also came on in the lead up to the 2008 events. Just found through Google searching. Hawkstwelve the whole time. Mostly a lurker for a little while but around 2009-2010 I started piping in more.

Before I discovered the forum I thought I was just a young chap who enjoyed the weather. Little did I know what I would become after I joined. 13 years later and I'm getting into arguments over 16 day snow maps and obsessing over model runs 4 times a day. 

A little worried my input into the forum will considerably lessen when we move out of the PNW but I guess we already have long time posters from other areas so hopefully not too much. Plus, the Midwest section of the forum could use some growth. 

• Like 4
  • Snow 2

Weather station: https://maplevalleywx.com

Been a member since December 2006 back when I was still a kid who lived on Bainbridge. I’m 30 now and haven’t lived there in more than a decade.

I learned so much that Winter and really credit this forum with turning my weather fandom from obsessively checking other people’s forecasts to knowing enough to make fairly good ones myself.

• Like 4
  • Snow 2

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

2021-22: 17"

-12/24: 0.5"

-12/26: 8.5"

-12/27: 1.5"

-12/29-30: 4"

-1/2: 2"

-1/5: 0.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

2019-20: 10.5"

2020-21: 14.5”

Was part of the farmers group.  Followed the group from there. Not sure what year.  Been interested in weather all my life.  I’m 48 now.  Do remember Omaha Greg from back then.  That’s the only person.  Think Randy remembers him too.  My name was probably.  Yohawn or Yohaun. Or ornative.  Cant remember.  That was a few computers ago.  When the internet came around in the late 90’s visited Mark at channels six. I also have a few of his old weather papers that he mailed out to enthusiasts back then.  I should show you guys some highlights.  Pretty interesting.  Always pretty much been a lurker.  Chime in when needed or when local weather is exciting. 

• Like 3
  • Snow 2

Wasn’t around in the old days but I joined here in 2014 thanks to Fred directing me here when I was asking Morgan Palmer a question on Twitter lol.

I was only 15 at the time and haven’t worked my first job, was a sophomore in high school, and sat at home playing video games mostly every day. It was that year I became a model riding weenie 

Now I’m 22, have a full time job as a facility manager, go to college full time, have a fiancé, and am go go go 24/7.

One thing has stayed the same through all these years though, and that’s being a model riding weenie! (however, I’m not nearly as bad of a weenie as I used to be lol).

I am so thankful Fred linked me to this site back in November of 2014!! I’ve learned so much from all of you guys and have so much fun on here during the winter!! (As well as lurking and reading some of the stuff that goes on here during the spring and summer, mostly for entertainment) :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Snow 2

Lynnwood Snowfall (2021-2022)

12/14/21: Snowflakes in the air for 5 mins

12/26/21: 6"

12/27/21-12/28/21: 2"

12/29-12/30: 3.5”

1/2: 2”

1/5: 0.5”

Total: 14”

I first made an account in 2009 and believe I heard about this forum through Mark Nelsen's blog. 

• Like 2
  • Snow 2

ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif

Ashland, KY Weather

'21-'22 Cold Season

Snowfall - 6.5"
December: 0.1"
January: 6.4"
February: _._"

Snow days: 3 (3.0" Jan 16th)
Highs <32: 1 (21 Jan 7th)
Min: 7 (Jan 8th)
Max wind: 30mph (Dec 25th)

[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

Part of the farmer’s group early 2010s. Mostly lurked there for years…. Found this forums mid 2010s and was still mostly lurking. Don’t know why I finally decided to post. Probably got tired of y’all’s shenanigans. 😂 

I’ve used this username ever since I was little almost everywhere. Interestingly enough, it has nothing to do with cloud or weather… it’s a reference to my favorite FF7 character.

• Like 1
  • Excited 1
  • Snow 2

Joined the Accuweather forums in December 2009

• Like 1
  • Snow 1

My personal weather station: Davis Instruments Vantage Pro 2

2021-2022 Season Total: 6.17" (as of 1/11/22)

2020-2021 Season Total: 5.40"

2019-2020 Season Total: 15.82"

2018-2019 Season Total: 15.84"

2017-2018 Season Total: 4.63"

2016-2017 Season Total: 15.18"

2015-2016 Season Total: 8.12"

2014-2015 Season Total: 10.09"

2013-2014 Season Total: 7.35"

2012-2013 Season Total: 7.11"

2011-2012 Season Total: 7.02"

2010-2011 Season Total: 17.09"

2009-2010 Season Total: 11.59"

Average Seasonal Precipitation: 10.43" (12 years)

California Water Year/Rainy Season measuring period runs from July 1 to June 30.

On 12/14/2021 at 2:59 AM, bainbridgekid said:

Been a member since December 2006 back when I was still a kid who lived on Bainbridge. I’m 30 now and haven’t lived there in more than a decade.

I learned so much that Winter and really credit this forum with turning my weather fandom from obsessively checking other people’s forecasts to knowing enough to make fairly good ones myself.

For the first several years I thought your username was brainbridge. Was the first clue that I needed glasses.

• lol 3
  • Snow 1

Fred,   You had the archives available to members for a time.   Would they be any help in acquiring the URL?  

I know I wanted to get into the 2004 posts more.  TT-SEA and Dewey were original with me.  Those were the Wild West days! 

• Snow 1

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

1 hour ago, Andie said:

Fred,   You had the archives available to members for a time.   Would they be any help in acquiring the URL?  

I know I wanted to get into the 2004 posts more.  TT-SEA and Dewey were original with me.  Those were the Wild West days! 

The archives used to be here:  http://theweatherforums.com/archive/

• Like 1
  • Snow 1

On 12/13/2021 at 11:59 PM, bainbridgekid said:

Man time flies.

• Like 1
  • Snow 1

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

I don't really remember when I joined this forum. I feel like it was back in the fall of 2006 when I was in college out in Oklahoma. I know I was on here in December 2008 because I remember clearly Dewey and BLI Snowman posting about the 12/14/08 Clark County fail, and WX Statman doing well in his SE Metro location. Don't think I posted a whole lot in those days. 

• Like 2
  • Snow 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2021-22: 31.1                         2021-22: 40.64" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 

On 12/17/2021 at 6:55 AM, Andie said:

Bah, just responded to you in the other thread.

Yeah, I need to rebuild the database that was used for the archives. I remember searching for it a while ago in there and I couldn't find anything referenced. I am hoping someone has an old email or something that was on Facebook.

• Snow 1

I met Scott Sistek in October of 2003, my emails got to be too much for him to answer to with his other responsibilities at Komo 4, so he introduced me to Snowmanjim (snowwizard), whom inevitably invited me onto the Old Farners Almanac Forums in late 2003. The late December, early January winter blast in 03-04 was the first one I tracked via the GFS forecast model. The first GFS bust I experienced was late January 2004 when at one point the GFS showed like a week straight of below freezing temps in Western Washington… I don’t think highs got below 40, as everything slid east. Anyway, those were the days! I think my username for every site has been Brennan… maybe someone else remembers…  

Also, i probably posted more than anyone for a span of about 5 years… 2005-2009 ish. 

• Like 1
  • Snow 1

On 12/20/2021 at 1:40 AM, Brennan said:

I met Scott Sistek in October of 2003, my emails got to be too much for him to answer to with his other responsibilities at Komo 4, so he introduced me to Snowmanjim (snowwizard), whom inevitably invited me onto the Old Farners Almanac Forums in late 2003. The late December, early January winter blast in 03-04 was the first one I tracked via the GFS forecast model. The first GFS bust I experienced was late January 2004 when at one point the GFS showed like a week straight of below freezing temps in Western Washington… I don’t think highs got below 40, as everything slid east. Anyway, those were the days! I think my username for every site has been Brennan… maybe someone else remembers…  

Also, i probably posted more than anyone for a span of about 5 years… 2005-2009 ish. 

Didnt know that you met Jim through Sistek.  How did they know each other?

• Snow 1

This is a fun idea. My online weather days started with Marks weather blog back in 2005 or so. I joined Western wx in January 2007 if I remember right. I almost certainly heard about it on Marks blog. I was originally 11 Degree Blizzard, then Raging Blizzard, and finally Black Hole...which obviously I've kept since then. 

I know I was a bit of a pain in the early days since I was an awkward teenager, but similar to Phil I am glad people put up with me until I found myself and grew up. I don't post as much as I used to because the weather in Phoenix sucks but I still love to read what everybody else says. 

I also can't say enough thanks for those who spent time helping me to learn in the early days. Jim, Dewey, Justin, (I think ha), etc. You helped me to get on the path I did and ultimately become a professional met. 

• Like 1
  • Snow 1

I'll add that it's weird how much has changed over the years. I think of the original leadership. What every happened to Joey, Kevin, TWCman, Panzer, etc? I think there used to be another mod or admin (Dominic?) that passed away but I think the others just moved on. Snow wizard is the only original admin to my knowledge that is still here. Andie of course remembers the good old days of the "Lounge" or whatever it was called with Panzer and TWCman lol 

Also, I am glad Phil finally relented on so many of his ridiculous arguments from the past 😛 

• Snow 1

Just like @MR.SNOWMIZER I've been around here since 09' or 10', I can't really remember, I do know I joined when it was western weather WX. I know that the massive snow storm and subsequent arctic invasion of 08'-09' is what led me to this forum via intense internet searches as to what caused it. I was so intrigued with the weather and the climate and all the nuances and idiosyncrasies therein that I kept coming back to this forum. I have obtained quite the education by merely sticking around here and reading posts. The drama here can be too much for me sometimes, but after all, we're humans, so without drama it wouldn't be nearly as interesting. It's really cool to be part of something with others who share common interests in something the majority of the population consider to be mundane - weather. 

• Like 1
  • Snow 1

On 12/13/2021 at 10:32 PM, Deweydog said:

My original name was Deweydog back in the day. Used to be pretty sarcastic before I finally grew up and started flying right.

Well I absolutely f****** miss your sarcasm! No joke, I would regularly read through dozens of pages of posts waiting to see something from you that would make me bust out in hysterical laughter. 

One of the best ones ever I can think of is when Jim kept saying there is warning shots coming in the 48-72 hr range and then a couple days later the 360hr range showed a massive several feet snowfall and you immediately replied with "Kill Shot" in the largest font possible. I'll never forget it as long as I live. It was the most epic display of sarcasm I've ever seen in my life. 

• Snow 1

On 1/1/2022 at 1:06 AM, iFred said:

It anyone has the old URL for the ofa forums, that would be much appreciated 

I don't remember any of them.  I also can't recall if there was something before OFA.  I think WesternUSAWX was run by a guy named Kevin from Wisconsin.  It's been so long now.  I know I was a member well before the January 2005 bust, because I had been posting for quite a while before that.

• Snow 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2021-22 stats

Total Snowfall = 12.5"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 11

Total Hail = T

Coldest Low = 15

Lows 32 or below = 24

Highs 32 or below = 5

Lows 20 or below = 4

Highs 40 or below = 16

On 12/22/2021 at 6:03 PM, crf450ish said:

Well I absolutely f****** miss your sarcasm! No joke, I would regularly read through dozens of pages of posts waiting to see something from you that would make me bust out in hysterical laughter. 

One of the best ones ever I can think of is when Jim kept saying there is warning shots coming in the 48-72 hr range and then a couple days later the 360hr range showed a massive several feet snowfall and you immediately replied with "Kill Shot" in the largest font possible. I'll never forget it as long as I live. It was the most epic display of sarcasm I've ever seen in my life. 

Dewey is one of a kind. I've never known anyone who can do what he does. I vividly remember exactly what you were talking about, and I remember ROFLMFAO as well (rolling on floor laughing my f***** a** off). For a long time I wondered if he would carefully read through every post on the forum, and then carefully craft the perfect response... But I've grown to just assume that he's a natural comedian who doesn't think twice about a single comment he makes.  

• Like 1
  • Snow 1