The Weather Forums

PNW December 2021 Obs - A December for Despair and Disappointment

50 minutes ago, AlTahoe said:

As someone that has Bozeman on my possible list of cities to move to if I ever leave Tahoe. Those temperature charts make me rethink that decision. Right now it is 25F and snowing here, which is about as cold as it ever gets. Single digits and below 0 for extended periods seems like to much for me and my Tahoe winters. 

South Lake Tahoe averages lows in the teens dec-feb and records are in the -20s

• Like 1

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

23 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

Low temps definitely could have done better with this air mass in many areas, no doubt. Obviously lack of clear skies with low winds has hurt.

But looking strictly at the high temps, for an event that isn't even over, this has been fairly impressive so far:

SEA: 31/27/28 (two of these had afternoon temps in the 22-25 range)

BLI: 16/16/21 (one afternoon just above 10)

Forks: 31/27/30

Temp wise this has been top tier north of Everett.

Really respectable for the Central Sound.

Kinda meh for the South Sound.

Really meh south of there.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Brennan said:

NW interior has over-performed on all fronts to this point. Temps both high and low, and snowfall are A+. Tonight should follow suit. Really curious to see how the northern part of the county hangs onto the low level arctic air over the weekend. Places like Lynden and maybe further south have a shot at staying cold through the period. 

Yeah, this event has exceeded all but the craziest of model runs up here. Lows and highs have consistently been 5-10 degrees below forecast. If we got a week like this every year winter would be so much better.

So far I've seen 4 lows below 11F and 4 highs below 25F and almost 10" of snow with sunshine. If you looked winter perfection up in the dictionary I'm pretty sure that would be the definition.

• Like 4

Home Wx Station Stats (Since January 2008):

Max Temp: 96.3F (2009)   Min Temp: 2.0F (2008)   Max Wind Gust: 45 mph (2018, 2021)   Wettest Day: 2.43 (2012)   Avg Yearly Precip: 37"   10yr Avg Snow: 5.8"

Snowfall Totals

'08-09: 30" | '09-10: 0.5" | '10-11: 21" | '11-12: 9.5" | '12-13: 0.2" | '13-14: 6.2" | '14-15: 0.0" | '15-16: 0.25"| '16-17: 8.0" | '17-18: 0.9"| '18-19: 11.5" | '19-20: 11" | '20-21: 10.5"

2021-22: 17" (12/24: Tr, 12/25: 5", 12/26: 3", 12/27: 1.5", 12/28: Tr, 12/29: 1", 12/30: 3", 1/5: 2.5", 1/6: 1")

2 minutes ago, BLI snowman said:

I haven't been above freezing since around 1am on the 26th and haven't been above 29 since 5:30 that morning. I'd say that's pretty impressive for this area.

• Like 2

Home Weather Station Stats (starting Dec. 25 2021)

High - 55.2

Lowest High - 23.6

Low - 15.6

Sub 40 highs - 11

Sub-freezing highs - 5

Lows below 25 - 5

Lows below 20 - 1

2021-2022 Snowfall - 10.5''

One station that I think is closer to where my house was in downtown K-Falls is over 2 feet of Dec snowfall.

With a more believable 9.0" depth. The other cocorahs site lost an inch.

2021-12-29 12_10_06-Window.png

• Like 1

ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif

Ashland, KY Weather

'21-'22 Cold Season

Snowfall - 7.5"
December: 0.1"
January: 7.4"
February: _._"

Snow days: 4 (4.0" Jan 16-17)
Highs <32: 1 (21 Jan 7th)
Min: 7 (Jan 8th)
Max wind: 30mph (Dec 25th)

[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

16 hours ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

Absolutely beautiful up here in the Okanagan.  When we arrived at cabin it was 2 degrees above at noon! Checked my station and we hit -18 last night. Coldest there since I've had my cabin. 6 years. 

20211228_115856.jpg

20211228_150654.jpg

20211228_111355.jpg

20211228_111452.jpg

How do your temps compare with Wintrop?  I'm guessing you get a little less snow? 

Is your cabin west of Omak general area? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BLI snowman said:

Would be really nice if we got an arctic airmass that affected the whole region this winter. At least this one has been good for delivering snow over a large part of the west side from Medford to BC, not always the case with these Fraser based arctic events 

• Like 5

Not sure why I had a confused react on my first post. I still have family in K-Falls so I'll be mentioning their weather from time to time. 

• Like 3

ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif

Ashland, KY Weather

'21-'22 Cold Season

Snowfall - 7.5"

I think I might be the only person on the forum that likes freezing rain and sleet.

Yeah, its destructive and dangerous, but so are a lot of events that we can't control. People shouldn't be driving and freezing rain a great chance to see if your local utilities district has been keeping up on maintenance.

I love that frozen gloss that is draped over the landscape. Its going be even more amazing with snow cover and low level cold. Something pretty magical about Christmas lights encased in snow and ice, giving a hint to their existence through the glittery sparkle of the ice.

• Like 8
  • lol 1
  • scream 1

1 minute ago, Jginmartini said:

Beautiful breezy cold morning with temp 23.9* (22.7 at 8:15am) 

*12/25 8:30pm began the crossover of being below 32* 

*12/26  31/21

*12/27  24/16

*12/28  30/23

*12/29  ??/23 

84 hours below freezing thus far 

Tomorrow’s storm approaching quickly 

3739E7E0-1A08-4A04-BD2A-BBE717FD18BF.jpeg

3ED1EBEC-1F12-40A7-9AFF-6C174EBCB286.jpeg

Same trajectory as the small disturbances of late, mostly over performing, its gonna snow, alot, late tonight/tomorrow morning.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, iFred said:

I think I might be the only person on the forum that likes freezing rain and sleet.

Yeah, its destructive and dangerous, but so are a lot of events that we can't control. People shouldn't be driving and freezing rain a great chance to see if your local utilities district has been keeping up on maintenance.

I love that frozen gloss that is draped over the landscape. Its going be even more amazing with snow cover and low level cold. Something pretty magical about Christmas lights encased in snow and ice, giving a hint to their existence through the glittery sparkle of the ice.

I’m going to join you in the like category for ZR.  Extreme Weather is always fascinating to me!!!   

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, iFred said:

Thankfully that was exceptionally rare east of the cascades. It's not good for walking or driving. At least with the January 2017 snow storm I could do things out of the house, despite being buried in 20 inches of powder.

ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif

Ashland, KY Weather

'21-'22 Cold Season

Snowfall - 7.5"

58 minutes ago, hawkstwelve said:

I didn't say this week has been sh*t so far. We got 8.5 inches out of one storm - easily far surpassing any snow event I have had while living in Maple Valley. I'm more than happy with that alone.

Still doesn't negate the fact that I expected to see more than 1 low temp in the teens. I don't think that was a very high expectation given what the models were showing for this week just a few days ago.

Froyobro seems a bit jealous 🤷🏻‍♂️

• scream 1
  • Weenie 1

9 minutes ago, iFred said:

I like how freezing rain looks too, obviously it’s not easy to get around in but a silver thaw is always pretty has its own sort of beauty. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Beautiful scenery on arrival this morning... came in right over Aberdeen and Olympia and Tacoma and then landed from the south at SEA.

20211229_070250.jpg

20211229_091905.jpg

20211229_092055.jpg

20211229_092459.jpg

Did you notice the reduced noise of those LEAP-1B engines on the MAX?

Sorry, 'Nerd Alert' questioning.

• lol 1

Home Weather Station Stats (starting Dec. 25 2021)

High - 55.2

Lowest High - 23.6

Low - 15.6

Sub 40 highs - 11

Sub-freezing highs - 5

Lows below 25 - 5

Lows below 20 - 1

2021-2022 Snowfall - 10.5''

Flying to Boise than Spokane on January 2nd. Probably not even going to be back into Tacoma until early in the morning January 3rd. Probably going to entirely miss the event…but oh well. 

• Like 1
  • scream 1

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-6.97”

Snowfall 11”

Sub 40 highs-10

Sub 32 highs-4

Sub 32 lows-9

Coldest High-24

Coldest Low-16

6 minutes ago, jakerepp said:

Did you notice the reduced noise of those LEAP-1B engines on the MAX?

Sorry, 'Nerd Alert' questioning.

Did not notice that... but it was a very smooth flight.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

1 minute ago, MWG said:

image.thumb.png.b3dbc059d8e823c5f3a8c3d6befd5020.png

A contrast to the first La Nina. This one dumped on the Sierras! Heard Donner broke a monthly record.

ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif

Ashland, KY Weather

'21-'22 Cold Season

Snowfall - 7.5"

24 minutes ago, GHweatherChris said:

I don't see how many areas don't see quite a bit of snow tomorrow morning,  no way it will warm up as quick or as much as what is being shown.  Widespread 3-5" of snow will be common throughout Western Washington, with locally higher amounts in spots.

Ya I get shadowing but when a system slides down the coast shadowing moves around and doesn’t just sit in one spot. This storm looks like everyone in western Washington will get something (2-5”) at some point. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, TacomaWaWx said:

Flying to Boise than Spokane on January 2nd. Probably not even going to be back into Tacoma until early in the morning January 3rd. Probably going to entirely miss the event…but oh well. 

Glad somethings in the works to get ya home. 
Regarding missing the event we’ll just do it again once your back.  Not and issue

• Like 1

Just now, Jginmartini said:

Glad somethings in the works to get ya home. 
Regarding missing the event we’ll just do it again once your back.  Not and issue

Lol I think things are going to be moderating somewhat by the time I’m back looking at the models. I’ve just accepted I missed the December 2008 redux at this point :/

• Sad 3

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-6.97”

Snowfall 11”

Sub 40 highs-10

Sub 32 highs-4

Sub 32 lows-9

Coldest High-24

Coldest Low-16

20 minutes ago, iFred said:

I agree, although this may be something that sounds better in theory than practice. I've never really experienced freezing rain. We got maybe 0.1" in 2008, but that's the most I've ever seen. I'm really into photography and it just sounds like it creates a magical scene. Incredibly destructive, but also incredibly beautiful.

• Like 4

Home Wx Station Stats (Since January 2008):

Max Temp: 96.3F (2009)   Min Temp: 2.0F (2008)   Max Wind Gust: 45 mph (2018, 2021)   Wettest Day: 2.43 (2012)   Avg Yearly Precip: 37"   10yr Avg Snow: 5.8"

Snowfall Totals

'08-09: 30" | '09-10: 0.5" | '10-11: 21" | '11-12: 9.5" | '12-13: 0.2" | '13-14: 6.2" | '14-15: 0.0" | '15-16: 0.25"| '16-17: 8.0" | '17-18: 0.9"| '18-19: 11.5" | '19-20: 11" | '20-21: 10.5"

2021-22: 17" (12/24: Tr, 12/25: 5", 12/26: 3", 12/27: 1.5", 12/28: Tr, 12/29: 1", 12/30: 3", 1/5: 2.5", 1/6: 1")

3 minutes ago, Skagit Weather said:

I agree, although this may be something that sounds better in theory than practice. I've never really experienced freezing rain. We got maybe 0.1" in 2008, but that's the most I've ever seen. I'm really into photography and it just sounds like it creates a magical scene. Incredibly destructive, but also incredibly beautiful.

It also creates creative ways to get from your driveway to the front door of your house!!! So many good memories in Troutdale trying to get to my front door. Their is no one particular method…lol.  It was quite the elevation gain as well.  Must of been comical for neighbors watching me 

• lol 1

2 minutes ago, JBolin said:

It isn't when you lose power for days, even weeks, can't get groceries, firewood, medication, etc.

Just ask anyone south of Tacoma in 2012.

Yeah I got stuck at my grandparents house for like 4 days after the ice storm. Seemed fun when I was a kid but it was pretty damaging. 

• Like 2

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-6.97”

Snowfall 11”

Sub 40 highs-10

Sub 32 highs-4

Sub 32 lows-9

Coldest High-24

Coldest Low-16

19 minutes ago, Jginmartini said:

I’m going to join you in the like category for ZR.  Extreme Weather is always fascinating to me!!!   

Truthfully I have never really experienced a moderate or major icing event up here as we usually always stay snow or it warms up and rains. We had a little ice event in the early 2000’s but it was just a slight glaze. It would be fascinating to experience but I do remember seeing the massive destruction along I-90 west of the pass a few years ago and it does make me cringe a little thinking about my 5 wooded acres. But it’s the weather so any extreme weather I am up for! 

• Like 1
  • Excited 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

4 minutes ago, JBolin said:

It isn't when you lose power for days, even weeks, can't get groceries, firewood, medication, etc.

We lived in a fairly rural area near Evergreen State College during this ice storm. We had no power for 10 days, couldn't even get out of our driveway. When we finally did cut our way out of the driveway, we couldn't drive anywhere because of the amount of tree debris, power lines, and other hazards on the road.

It was a good thing we had plenty of food and firewood.

I couldn't wish for an ice storm again.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, JBolin said:

That one got me as well in Federal Way….it was very damaging and power was out for 5 days.  Still loved it even though we were stuck in the house. The worst part of that one was going back to work when roads cleared.  Costco was out of control!!! I was managing the Food Court at the time so everyone wanted pizza!   Lordy…..not sure how I even got through those days with half the crew.  

• Like 1

• iFred unpinned this topic