The Weather Forums

PNW December 2021 Obs - A December for Despair and Disappointment

41 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

Dozer fired right up even at -4. This is spot my house will be built. Saved up to do foundation this spring. 

20211229_152131.jpg

20211229_152210.jpg

Forum party at your place when it's ready? In winter of course. 

• Like 3
  • Excited 1

Home Weather Station Stats (starting Dec. 25 2021)

High - 55.2

Lowest High - 23.6

Low - 15.6

Sub 40 highs - 11

Sub-freezing highs - 5

Lows below 25 - 5

Lows below 20 - 1

2021-2022 Snowfall - 10.5''

4 minutes ago, Cloud said:

A little nervous for this next one actually. Most of the mesoscales are ugly with Seattle picking up <1". We can hope and pray that it overperforms, but in reality, that's just not how it works.

1-2" is probably a good bet imo. 

The surprises will probably save it for Seattle.  The NWS discussion talks about it.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2021-22 stats

Total Snowfall = 12.5"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 11

Total Hail = T

Coldest Low = 15

Lows 32 or below = 24

Highs 32 or below = 5

Lows 20 or below = 4

Highs 40 or below = 16

The 18z ECMWF was snowier for Seattle over the next 36 hours and colder for the near term.  It now has a 32/14 for New Years Eve!

• Like 2
  • Excited 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2021-22 stats

Total Snowfall = 12.5"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 11

Total Hail = T

Coldest Low = 15

Lows 32 or below = 24

Highs 32 or below = 5

Lows 20 or below = 4

Highs 40 or below = 16

2 hours ago, snow_wizard said:

Wow!

1640800800-8HO3dsTlOBs.png

That's a cold outlook! I think it touched 30° here today. Main roads are down to bare pavement, but everywhere else is like a hockey rink.

• Like 1

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.0", 01/12

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

1 minute ago, Jginmartini said:

A few of us got outside to take it in today!!!  I took a seat on a snow covered log to just listened to all the birds….then these two characters showed up and hung out with me for 15 minutes.  Quite the moment 

Man I don’t want this cold to end ever!  Frozen ground, snow and so picturesque.  

31/23 today and currently 27*

79B5707E-C00B-4D8E-B7E8-ECD89B0368FA.png

E7A6DAC7-2EC6-4BBA-B77B-602ED93F2061.jpeg

AFC37AF4-0E75-4BF4-B7BF-369F1DEB6B27.jpeg

Awesome!

If things unfold how NWS has them for tomorrow it would not be our normal over running event with a low approaching from the SW that draws cold air through the passes or from the north for a period of heavy precipitation falling as snow  before the change over.

Instead this looks like a slow weak bleed of westerly/southwesterly wind as the low drops down the back side of the olympics and over Tacoma.

Looks like a switch back to northerly as the low high tails it east but the damage will have been done.

19 minutes ago, Kolk1604 said:

Overnight lows look a little chilly

ecmwf-deterministic-KPLU-daily_tmin_tmax-0800800.png

ecmwf-deterministic-KSEA-daily_tmin_tmax-0800800.png

That is something

Home Weather Station Stats (starting Dec. 25 2021)

High - 55.2

Lowest High - 23.6

Low - 15.6

Sub 40 highs - 11

Sub-freezing highs - 5

Lows below 25 - 5

Lows below 20 - 1

2021-2022 Snowfall - 10.5''

50 minutes ago, crf450ish said:

In all reality, the salt comment has some merit to it. Our watershed here in the greater Puget Sound area doesn't need anymore pollution than what it already has. Salt runoff from treating the roads would absolutely make things worse down the road. A biologist at work commented on this this morning. 

It's a doubled edged sword 

Oh, I definitely agree. Salt and sand both have drawbacks (sand being that it accumulates as sediment in waterways).

My comment was more about the fact that it only took 13 years to loop back on our own decisions. 😂 (I suppose it's more like "you can never win in the court of public opinion" when it comes to this situation in Seattle)

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, xfkirsten said:

Oh, I definitely agree. Salt and sand both have drawbacks (sand being that it accumulates as sediment in waterways).

My comment was more about the fact that it only took 13 years to loop back on our own decisions. 😂 (I suppose it's more like "you can never win in the court of public opinion" when it comes to this situation in Seattle)

And it damages roads, bridges, cars, freshwater ecosystems, etc.

I think the main reason they went to salt was the absolutely moronic reason they gave for not using it in 2012: that it might damage Puget Sound. Hello? That's a SALT WATER body. A little extra salt (in the winter, the time when it's most dilute) is unlikely to harm much.

Now, the fresh-water streams and lakes that eventually end up in the Sound, different story. But nnooooo, the politicians had to talk about putting a little (compared to how much is already in there) more salt into the Sound.

• Like 4
It's called clown range for a reason.

20 minutes ago, FroYoBro said:

Already 27 here which is my low for the entire winter. Should beat that in the next hour. 

Would be nice if we had a day or a few days to enjoy this nice cold air and some offshore flow. Just a few hours until that nasty south wind ruins this for us though. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

A little surprised that my super sloppy 1-2 inches has immediately frozen solid on the ground. 31F. Hope this isn't all the action we get this winter down here and have hope for the future. TWL and myself regret never getting the arctic cold front down here, but I can't complain at all after over 10" of snowfall.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, nwsnow said:

Would be nice if we had a day or a few days to enjoy this nice cold air and some offshore flow. Just a few hours until that nasty south wind ruins this for us though. 

Yeah, pretty sad. Today felt nice and crisp and now it will be raining in about 12 hours. Hopefully we still have another shot at continental air this winter down here. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, FroYoBro said:

Yeah, pretty sad. Today felt nice and crisp and now it will be raining in about 12 hours. Hopefully we still have another shot at continental air this winter down here. 

I could see roads being a mess day after tomorrow with the puddles refreezing and whatnot.

• Like 1

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

2 hours ago, snow_wizard said:

The surprises will probably save it for Seattle.  The NWS discussion talks about it.

I look forward to Carly's discussions so much, they're seriously amazing and super informative.

My Weather Station:  https://ambientweather.net/dashboard/b415ff35b2d13f00c899051028f04466 

Located in North Seattle, elevation ~150ft. Highest temperature ever recorded is 110.3, lowest is 14.5.

My Twitter

• iFred unpinned this topic