The Weather Forums

PNW December 2021 Obs - A December for Despair and Disappointment

6 minutes ago, TacomaWaWx said:

cliff mass can suck it hope your reading this you’ve been exposed. 

Hope he's a big enough adult that he can take having critics. 

(Remembering that "f&ck you all" youtube video Uwe Boll did, lol)

• Popcorn 1

ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif

Ashland, KY Weather

'21-'22 Cold Season

Snowfall - 7.5"
December: 0.1"
January: 7.4"
February: _._"

Snow days: 4 (4.0" Jan 16-17)
Highs <32: 1 (21 Jan 7th)
Min: 7 (Jan 8th)
Max wind: 30mph (Dec 25th)

[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

Interesting how little precip made it down this way. Had about 2 hours of snow, and really hasn't done more than flurry since about 9:30. Currently 32, I expected a bigger warm up today, but thinking now we only top out 33-34, colder air aloft starts working back in by evening. 

• Like 3

Snowfall                                  Precip

2021-22: 31.1                         2021-22: 40.64" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 

Just now, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

Can I get a quick rundown on the event lastnight? Did the rain line move into the sound at all? Snow amounts?

Other than a brief light mix in the South Sound this morning after the bulk of the moisture had moved out, it was all snow. The shadow never really materialized at all and almost everywhere got 2-4" down to sea level. Awesome event.

• Like 5

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

2021-22: 17"

-12/24: 0.5"

-12/26: 8.5"

-12/27: 1.5"

-12/29-30: 4"

-1/2: 2"

-1/5: 0.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

2019-20: 10.5"

2020-21: 14.5”

Back down to freezing here as well.  Had to run to downtown Puyallup to meet with my accountant.  Tons of water and slush on the roads.  I sure would not want to be out driving when things freeze over.  It is going to be treacherous.  

1 minute ago, bainbridgekid said:

Other than a brief light mix in the South Sound this morning after the bulk of the moisture had moved out, it was all snow. The shadow never really materialized at all and almost everywhere got 2-4" down to sea level. Awesome event.

Nice! My mom said 4 inches in Port orchard.  We had 2 inches at the cabin at minus 8 degrees! First snow event for me sub zero.

• Like 3

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

24 minutes ago, Thurston Howell III said:

Yes. Similar to predicted, but not his prediction!  I loved his stuff from the other day when he tried to make it look like his prediction was closer by taking the snow reports from in the morning when many areas like mine got almost all their snow after the later.  

All their snow after the later?  Apparently I can't write at the same time I'm tossing the ball for my insanely energetic Border Collie.

• Popcorn 1

4 minutes ago, bainbridgekid said:

Just looked at the 12z, wow Monday could be big.

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

Probably another top-10 cold February incoming. Whenever we get the urge to predict a cold January we should just project it to February. F'N Nina too, should have known better. 

Sometimes it feels like banning Jesse was just as smart as removing wolves from Yellowstone.

• lol 5
  • scream 1
  • Troll 1

13 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

Can I get a quick rundown on the event lastnight? Did the rain line move into the sound at all? Snow amounts?

I got 7” new snow. 

• Like 2
  • scream 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Two sensors in the shade are reporting 31.6, one sensor with partial sun exposure is reporting 34, and another sensor with full sun and 10ft off the ground is reporting 35. No sign of drippage still but the snow has more of a weighted look.

One thing I notice is models have really delayed this weekend's warm front which could help us steal another very chilly day Saturday without much melting. If we start that morning well into the 20's as models show and don't see any rain or strong Southerly winds, I could see Saturday staying in the mid 30's with DP's in the upper 20's and feeling like another bonus very Wintery day before the melt starts in earnest Sunday.

• Like 3

Up to 37 here still a little snow around but mostly gone glad we are going into another couple days of cold weather around New Years

The first week of January is looking milder than what we are seeing last week of December, closer to average but definitely not a torch. Good mountain snows and still some chances for the lowlands sprinkled in. I like the trend on long range models and ensembles to reintroduce some sort of blocking in the Pacific by second week of Jan

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

I started freaking out when I looked out the window and saw snow coming off the trees, but then I noticed the north wind is blowing pretty good so that is the reason. Still no power, temp back down to 28.1. 

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

1 minute ago, MossMan said:

I started freaking out when I looked out the window and saw snow coming off the trees, but then I noticed the north wind is blowing pretty good so that is the reason. Still no power, temp back down to 28.1. 

My son stopped at my house, 5 new and 29.4 degrees.  Did good and cold is hanging in there.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bainbridgekid said:

One thing I notice is models have really delayed this weekend's warm front which could help us steal another very chilly day Saturday without much melting. If we start that morning well into the 20's as models show and don't see any rain or strong Southerly winds, I could see Saturday staying in the mid 30's with DP's in the upper 20's and feeling like another bonus very Wintery day before the melt starts in earnest Sunday.

Thinking that Monday will will be a non-event?

4 minutes ago, Brian_in_Leavenworth said:

The longer range ensembles have hinted at retrogression and building of the ridge.

Gut feeling is that Optimistic CFS Andrew and Matt are right, in that after MLK day we have a good shot at round two. Not only does there seem to be upper level support to the ridge returning in a good to great spot, but there are hints to a SE ridge and some North Atlantic blocking.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, iFred said:

Thinking that Monday will will be a non-event?

I think it has a 20-30% chance of bringing heavy snow and about a 50-60% chance of bringing none. Huge boom and bust potential.

Anafronts are extremely tricky and models really struggle to accurately model when and if the entire column will cool to 32 in a nearly isothermal atmosphere. I’d love to see the 18z Euro make a move toward the GFS. It’s been trying the last couple runs.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, SouthHillFrosty said:

It’s still running. Here is the GFS tho. Monday is starting to lose support on ensembles

321D7CE3-E358-4BFD-9E95-B2166225151F.jpeg

To my untrained eye that still looks pretty darn good! I’m sure I’m missing something though. How does KPAE Paine Field look? 

Up to 32 here now and dry.     Got everything dug out again... second time since yesterday.    The rest of you had a 3 day break in between.   😀

• lol 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Weenie 3

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

5 hours ago, Jginmartini said:

Snow has stopped and I bubbled up at 6:35am 32.6 :(

DP 30* 

*Saturday 12/25 8:30pm began the crossover of being below 32*  (trace snow)

*Sunday 12/26  31/21 (6.5 snow)

*Monday 12/27  24/16  (.5 snow late evening) 

*Tuesday 12/28  30/23  (1 inch snow, continued from previous evening)

*Wednesday 12/29  31/23 (1.5 inches snow evening event)

*Thursday 12/30  ??/28 ( 1.5 continued from wed evening event + early morning)

106 hours total at and below freezing 

11 inches in total give or take using primitive ruler.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, smerfylicious said:

How are you enjoying the plunge into winter?

It's fine... it was not a surprise.    I told my family when we left for Hawaii what it would be like when we got back and nature did not disappoint!    It sure is pretty out there even though I am exhausted from so much snow removal in a 24 hour period.  😀

• Like 2

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Just now, TT-SEA said:

It's fine... it was not a surprise.    I told my family when we left for Hawaii what it would be like when we got back and nature did not disappoint!    It sure is pretty out there even though I am exhausted from so much snow removal in a 24 hour period.  😀

What are your thoughts on Monday?

• iFred unpinned this topic