The Weather Forums

PNW December 2021 Obs - A December for Despair and Disappointment

18.1" is right up there with Dec 2012.

Grandmother probably has 8-9" accumulation at her place. 

2021-12-27 15_28_15-CoCoRaHS - Community Collaborative Rain, Hail & Snow Network.png

• Like 3

ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif

Ashland, KY Weather

'21-'22 Cold Season

Snowfall - 7.5"
December: 0.1"
January: 7.4"
February: _._"

Snow days: 4 (4.0" Jan 16-17)
Highs <32: 1 (21 Jan 7th)
Min: 7 (Jan 8th)
Max wind: 30mph (Dec 25th)

[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

My son made it to Seattle, a flight got snowed in here Christmas night, otherwise I think it a safe bet it would have been canceled.  Forgot to plug in my car last night but my little TDI fired right up and warmed up rather quickly.  Kinda crazy to see a coolant temp of 3*

I-5 was clear, everything else was pretty dodgy.

Currently sunny and 13 degrees. 

IMG_2407 (2).jpg

• Like 1

These probabilistic guides are so cool

• Like 1
  • Snow 1

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

-Total snowfall since joining: 36.5"

-2018-19: 21"

-2019-20: 2.5"

-2020-21: 13"

-2021-22: 8.25"

-Most recent snowfall: 2”; December 30th, 2021

-Largest snowfall (single storm): 8.5"; February 12-13, 2021

-Largest snow depth: 14"; 1:30am February 12th, 2019

Temperatures:

-Warmest: 109F; June 28th, 2021

-Coldest: 14F; November 24th, 2010

4 minutes ago, Deweydog said:

Pretty crazy that Omak still has a midnight high of 2.

I'm excited to see how cold it gets at my cabin,  leaving tonight. I have a couple known spots I am going drive to and check tomorrow night. Bet I find negative 30 or so. We normally run 10 to 20 degrees colder than forecast lows with arctic air in place  

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

58 minutes ago, bainbridgekid said:

18z NAM is pretty anemic with the Thursday system. Big snow shadow for the Central Sound and less than an inch most places with 1-3” around the far North Sound. But the NAM at that range is fairly useless.

NAM was also anemic before our last event. Realizing more and more that the Euro just can't be beat 

1 minute ago, SouthHillFrosty said:

What’s your profession or expertise?

Oh none, I think they mostly called to just do like a personal interview, asking me about how I was passing the time. I just talked about my forecasting hobby. If they had specifically asked to interview me about forecasting, I would have mentioned so many other people that would be better to interview.

• Like 3

My Weather Station:  https://ambientweather.net/dashboard/b415ff35b2d13f00c899051028f04466 

Located in North Seattle, elevation ~150ft. Highest temperature ever recorded is 110.3, lowest is 14.5.

My Twitter

18z GFS is definitely NE with the low track of the 12z but still looks good l especially for the Central and North Sound. Low looks to track about through Olympia.

EDIT: That was through hour 78. It kind of backs off after that and let’s the cold air back in and gives the Sound Sound and SW Washington snow too.

• Like 4

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

2021-22: 17"

-12/24: 0.5"

-12/26: 8.5"

-12/27: 1.5"

-12/29-30: 4"

-1/2: 2"

-1/5: 0.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

2019-20: 10.5"

2020-21: 14.5”

25 minutes ago, Meatyorologist said:

These probabilistic guides are so cool

The one they released on Friday pegged Enumclaw with a 'most likely' 9 inches. Considering we got 8.5 not too far away, I'd say the NBM did fairly good.

Although I noticed that the NBM runs on Saturday pulled back a ways on snow totals for Sunday. Not sure what was going on there. But in general, it seemed to do alright for the most part.

• Like 2

Weather station: https://maplevalleywx.com

1 minute ago, bainbridgekid said:

18z GFS is definitely NE with the low track of the 12z but still looks good l especially for the Central and North Sound. Low looks to track about through Olympia.

Has kind of a 12/20-12/21/2008 feel about it, heavy snow to freezing rain back to snow for my area.  Gonna be a fun one to track!

• Like 4

Just now, snow_wizard said:

Definite shot at coldest max temps since 1990 today.  Brrrrr.

Nice to see we’re still capable of legit events like these. 

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-6.97”

Snowfall 11”

Sub 40 highs-10

Sub 32 highs-4

Sub 32 lows-9

Coldest High-24

Coldest Low-16

Just now, jcmcgaffey said:

Flurry alert here!  Barely noticeable but quite nice with the clear crisp air and snow caked onto everything. 

Noticed that before, was unsure if it was the lightest of flurries or flakes blowing off of the trees. There's almost nothing on radar but I guess it's maybe possible

My Weather Station:  https://ambientweather.net/dashboard/b415ff35b2d13f00c899051028f04466 

Located in North Seattle, elevation ~150ft. Highest temperature ever recorded is 110.3, lowest is 14.5.

My Twitter

13 minutes ago, gusky said:

Oh none, I think they mostly called to just do like a personal interview, asking me about how I was passing the time. I just talked about my forecasting hobby. If they had specifically asked to interview me about forecasting, I would have mentioned so many other people that would be better to interview.

Nice!!!

• Like 1

• iFred unpinned this topic