New Year's Day Storm

bud2380

03z RAP...total QPF for NE IL is eye candy...based on recent trends in previous storm systems and the general way nature has been behaving lately, I'm a big believer in the fact that the atmosphere this season is fired up.  The clues the higher rez models are showing where the heaviest band of precip falls should provide some idea of where the meso scaling bands develop.  How many times we have seen systems over perform this year for MI and peeps up north?  Even though this storm isn't the deepest low pressure system it will be fueled by the jet dynamics, thermal gradient and loads of gulf moisture. 

I'm especially interested in the run to run consistency of the higher qpf totals showing up for NE IL.  This set up is really beautiful bc the for the duration of the entire storm...the N/NE flow coming off the warm lake waters is open for biz.  

image.png

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Clinton said:

6z Euro @mlgamerhow close are you to that heavy band?

I'm pretty much sitting on the 6" line just south of that heavy snow band. A slight shift in the track could give me 6"+ or next to nothing. Topeka NWS left the watch in place for my county (Shawnee) because even they're not sure. This needs to swing south so we both stay out of the mixed precip! 🙏 🙂

• Like 2

23-24 seasonal snow total: 17.8" (as of 3/9/24)

1 minute ago, mlgamer said:

I'm pretty much sitting on the 6" line just south of that heavy snow band. A slight shift in the track could give me 6"+ or next to nothing. Topeka NWS left the watch in place for my county (Shawnee) because even they're not sure. This needs to swing south so we both stay out of the mixed precip! 🙏 🙂

Things could get very icy my way.  For me it looks like that is how it's going to be, not much time for things to change.  Good luck!

• Like 2

12z NAM is weaker/drier

12z 3kNAM is actually north and wetter for eastern Iowa into Wisconsin

I would expect the juiced-up short-term models to dry out today.  The Euro is not budging from its south and weak solution.

image.thumb.png.c9895a8cf0888235b388d67d8f40dfc9.png

image.thumb.png.4ac2fcdf57f913d6457e1a3a07434f15.png

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

We’ll, Here we go!!!   Happy New Year guys! as we stumble into 2022 with hopes we see this pandemic fade away!!   

No. Texas will see 75* today as rain moves into the area and a High New Years of 45* before we plunge to 23*. 

Typical Texas “Blue Norther”. At least it’s reassuring that we can count on typical Texas winters.  

We are all praying we don’t see a repeat of the big freeze and power failure.  
Hell will rise again if the power generators fail us after last years failure, but I’m ready. 
I’d hate to be in their shoes if it does. 

A note of sadness to those in Colorado that have lost lives and homes to this extraordinary fire. High winds and cold whipped the racing fires along.  Just mind blowing images.  

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

Mid Morning update from LOT. They like the Lake Enhancement possibility

No changes to tomorrow`s forecast as we await the rest of the
model suite, but the going message of an impactful winter storm
remains on track. Seeing some signs of some early lake-enhancement
that may even start of as drizzle/freezing drizzle across parts of
NE Illinois before the deeper saturation and ascent arrives
through the late morning and afternoon hours. Will take a closer
look at this for the PM update. Gusty northeast winds (especially
near the lake) look to result in a period of blowing snow as
ratios rise with the arrival of deeper cold air Saturday afternoon
and evening. Guidance has also trended towards more cohesively
towards showing bona-fide lake enhancement through later Saturday
afternoon as ratios start to take off. One lingering question is
what impacts winds off the 40 degree lake will have for the first
few hours of snowfall in our lake-adjacent areas with some
likelihood of this resulting in locally reduced SLRs for a time
eating into overall accumulations for Chicago and points south.
Either way, as the deeper cold gradually arrives, heavier rates
and blowing snow will yield increasingly nasty conditions into the
evening. May need to look into locally boosting snow totals into
parts of Lake and Porter counties in northwest Indiana as well.
Updated products for today have been sent.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, bud2380 said:

I hope the UK is dead wrong. If it’s right there won’t be much snow in places that other models are showing a lot. 

Yeah, the UK just crapped the bed for much of Iowa.

qpf_acc.us_mw.png

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

2 minutes ago, bud2380 said:

The GEFS mean took a shift south too. So much change in 12 hours time so close to the storm. By tonight we’ll probably be down to a couple inches here. 

I bet Jim’s going nuts right now because his barb’s rule is going to get roasted.