New Year's Day Storm

bud2380

Man, this thing continues to fade.  The latest HRRR has Cedar Rapids down to 2".  Ames and Omaha still both have a warning, but the HRRR now has <0.5" of snow falling in both locations.  Unreal.

It still looks good for Ottumwa.

• Like 1

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

8 hours ago, Jayhawker85 said:

I’m currently in Houston where it’s been in the 80’s all week and suppose to return back to kc tomorrow.

Our original flight has already been canceled due to the weather so hopefully we will make it in tomorrow night. I’m hoping to make it back to a winter wonderland!

Local mets this morning saying 2-4 for your area!  Right now things are pretty icy, frz rain has been falling since 3am 🤮.  Your precip should change to snow around noon.

Well I've recovered from last night, didn't even make it to midnight LOL. Anyways, this thing seems behind schedule here. First few flakes are just starting. Think we have a bust on our hands, but I'm still hoping for a few inches at least. 

• Like 1

Snowfall in Lincoln, NE:

2017-18: 21.4"   2018-19: 55.5"   2019-20: 17.6"   2020-21: 49.4"   2021-22: 5.1" 🤮

Average: 26"

1 minute ago, snowstorm83 said:

Well I've recovered from last night, didn't even make it to midnight LOL. Anyways, this thing seems behind schedule here. First few flakes are just starting. Think we have a bust on our hands, but I'm still hoping for a few inches at least. 

Ya I was figured we would have been going around 4-5:00am. Going to be a big flop for local forecasters the way it’s looking. I’m hoping we can get at least 2”. Would make it a plowable event at that point at least 

• Like 1

On 12/31/2021 at 9:33 AM, BrianJK said:

Thinking 3-6” will be most common across Chicagoland.  Potential for higher amounts depending on the lake. 

Curious if the afternoon shift will replace any of the warnings with advisories for areas away from the lake.  

Final GFS - Still pretty bullish for Iowa City.  It's already snowing down there, so they will certainly do better than Cedar Rapids.

image.thumb.png.ab8edd9cca03913e15bd344fb361be7a.png

• Like 1

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

9 minutes ago, BrianJK said:

Curious if the afternoon shift will replace any of the warnings with advisories for areas away from the lake.  

If ORD gets 6” I’ll consider that a win…not sure what this implies down the road, but I’ve been getting on/off lake effect snow showers/flurries.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tom said:

If ORD gets 6” I’ll consider that a win…not sure what this implies down the road, but I’ve been getting on/off lake effect snow showers/flurries.

At the very least, it should mean you won’t have dry air issues to deal with

• Like 1

...The Artist Formerly Known as RJSnowLover...

Rates are becoming more steady and visibility getting low, but only a dusting at this point. The airport still has nothing, being in far southeast Lincoln probably helps. With that said, I'd be happy with 2" by the end of this one -  dry air has really killed it. Basically everything last year met or exceeded expectations so I guess it was time for a pooper. 

• Sad 1

Snowfall in Lincoln, NE:

2017-18: 21.4"   2018-19: 55.5"   2019-20: 17.6"   2020-21: 49.4"   2021-22: 5.1" 🤮

Average: 26"

36 minutes ago, Tom said:

Btw, aren’t you located near Schiller Park?  Or is that someone else I’m thinking of…

I used to be. Completely moved out to Poplar Grove (25 minutes NE of Rockford) in September. Wife & I bought a house here in 2019, but my job was still near Chicago until Sept.

3 minutes ago, Tom said:

Oh wow, not that's a move!  I'm familiar with the area and its very quiet and peaceful out there.

Yeah, pretty peaceful. But not easy to find an internet provider that’s not satellite. I miss my Xfinity internet, lol.

LOT with an update:

SOME QUESTIONS REGARDING ANY IMPACTS OF UPSTREAM CONVECTION ON  
POLEWARD MOISTURE TRANSPORT THIS AFTERNOON AND EVENING WITH  
SEVERAL GOOD-SIZED HOLES NOTED IN THE PRECIPITATION SHIELD ACROSS  
NORTHERN MISSOURI. THAT SAID, UPRIGHT CONVECTIVE INSTABILITY IS  
PRESENT ON REGION SOUNDINGS (AND WE CAN SEE THE CONVECTIVE NATURE  
MANIFESTED IN THE RADAR RETURNS), AND HAVE ALSO SEEN SOME DEGREE  
OF THIS FILLING IN OVER THE LAST HOUR OF SO WITH THE ARRIVAL OF  
BETTER JET DYNAMICS. HRRR/RAP COMBO HAVE CERTAINLY TRENDED  
DOWNWARDS A BIT IN THE QPF OUTPUT AWAY
 FROM THE LAKE, AND ENVISION  
THERE WILL BE SOME "HOLES" IN THE SNOWFALL TOTALS IN BETWEEN THE  
DOMINANT F-GEN FORCING AND AND ANY LAKE ENHANCEMENT. NO MEANINGFUL  
CHANGES TO THE SNOW TOTALS AT THIS TIME THOUGH, WITH OUR 4-7"  
INLAND 
STILL LOOKING OKAY WITH HIGHER AMOUNTS NEAR THE LAKE. WE'LL  
SEE IF ANY DOWNWARD ADJUSTMENTS NEED TO BE MADE TO OUR NORTHERN  
TIER OF COUNTIES AWAY FROM THE LAKE WITH THE FULL PM UPDATE. 

• Like 2

The HRRR upped Cedar Rapids to 4.5" a few runs ago (after dropping to 2" earlier), but has been dropping again since.  The latest is down to 1.8".  However, it doesn't have any accumulating snow til almost 2pm, which is clearly wrong as accumulating snow has already overspread the area.

The snow is blowing right off my snow board, so it will be difficult to get a good measurement.

39 minutes ago, Hawkeye said:

The HRRR upped Cedar Rapids to 4.5" a few runs ago (after dropping to 2" earlier), but has been dropping again since.  The latest is down to 1.8".  However, it doesn't have any accumulating snow til almost 2pm, which is clearly wrong as accumulating snow has already overspread the area.

The snow is blowing right off my snow board, so it will be difficult to get a good measurement.

Flurries only in Hiawatha so far.

2021-22 Snowfall: (Hiawatha)

TOTAL: 10.2"

(12/28: 3.0") (12/29: 0.8") 

(1/1: 6.4")