January 2022 Observations & Discussion

Tom

1 hour ago, CentralNebWeather said:

It feels even balmier with basically zero snow piles or random patches hanging around. Usually there's some kind of indication it's January even on mild days. 

• Sad 1

Snowfall in Lincoln, NE:

2017-18: 21.4"   2018-19: 55.5"   2019-20: 17.6"   2020-21: 49.4"   2021-22: 5.1" 🤮

Average: 26"

7 hours ago, Clinton said:

Temps way overachieved today, hit a high of 65.  It will make the upcoming weather feel colder than it will be.

One of the biggest Blizzards in Chicago's history (Jan 26-27, 1967) hit the day after temps reached the upper 60's (65F to be exact).  Coincidence???  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1967_Chicago_blizzard

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, OKwx2k4 said:

As we close January down and open February, we have, as models look into 2/22, I look back..

Those 2 months closed out what appears to be 6 years plus of some of the most disappointing weather in winter ever.

I'm glad another warm January is gone.

Deuces are wild???  I think FEB has some fascinating winter wx for many of us on this Sub and that includes you and Andie.  You may be dealing with more snow later mid month in FEB.

Well, that's a wrap for JAN and ORD is left with a 4" snow dept officially.  There was some melting yesterday with some sunshine.  You can feel the sun angle is starting to make an impact on darker surfaces.  Anyway, this month featured the most consecutive days with snow OTG in JAN that I can remember.  Iirc, you have to go back all the way back to JAN '14 & '15 where we had any snow cover of significance that lasted throughout the month and looked and felt like winter.  This season we didn't have the snow depth as those years.  Hey, it's better than looking at brown grass!

ORD had 10 days of measurable snowfall and 4 days when there was a Trace reported.   13.9" was the official snowfall and that is +2.6" for the month.  We are 3.1" behind for the season-to-date and look to make that up over the next few days.  Is yet another end of the season rally upon us?  The back loaded snow seasons appear to continue...

• Like 4

DSM #'s for JAN 22'

AVG temp = 18.1F -4.3 compared to normal.

Snowfall = 18.7" tied for #7th all time with 2019. 3 of the top 10 snowiest JAN's here have occurred in the last 4 years-

image.png.204d150726d578b475387aef2fc7751d.png

• Like 5

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

My January stats from MBY.

Avg low: 11.0 (-4.2)

coldest low: -8.6 (2nd)

Avg high: 35.3 (+1.7)

warmest high: 56.1 (12th)

Monthly departure: -1.3

Precip: .29" (-.46")

Snowfall: 6.5" (-.7")

Another dry month with only 2 precip events. This matches both November and December though, so we've ONLY had 6(!) total days of precip in the last 93 days in the months of November through January.

Oddly, the low temps at night were 4.2 degrees below normal, yet the average high temps were above normal by 1.7 degrees. The monthly departure of -1.3 degrees was my first below normal month since last July.

• Like 1

• Tom unpinned this topic

January statistics for KC.  All observations are recorded at the airport, most of the KC area didn't receive much snow.0nJUMs1r_normal.jpg

Jan 2022 was very January for the KC area. The avg temp for Jan was 0.4 degrees above normal but was the 65th coldest on the 134-year record. Precip this Jan was 0.79" or 0.37" below normal which was 56th driest. Snowfall was 5.3" which was 0.4" above normal or the 52nd snowiest.
  • Like 1