PNW January 2022, Contact Info for Phil

The Blob

Not even the first shade of grey here! I’m reliving the nightmare of early/mid December. 34.9 degrees and cloudy/windy and extremely sloppy with continued massive snow melt. 🤮

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Weenie 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

3 minutes ago, MossMan said:

Not even the first shade of grey here! I’m reliving the nightmare of early/mid December. 34.9 degrees and cloudy/windy and extremely sloppy with continued massive snow melt. 🤮

I think this is the first time I can remember on the forums of you missing out when I get some. Those pass winds really saved it for my area.

• Like 1

Currently 36 here this morning.  The wind and rain really did a number on the residual snow that was left.  Experience tells me we are done here until the next event.  It will be fun tracking what is coming in the future and really something if it performs as well as this last event.

11 hours ago, Chewbacca Defense said:

I'm not too familiar with the greater metropolitan Yelm area, but Bellingham runs into that a lot, the city itself is rainy and 40, but parts of the school district are 1,000-1,300 feet, or are on the north face of hills and don't get sun to melt the roads, so the roads are still really sh*tty.  It sucks for the majority of students but I guess they have to account for everyone.

Ehhhh....Yeah, there are definitely "less traveled" roads out this way, that could stay snowier than others, and quite a few on some big hills as well. I guess I am just surprised they called it last night, rather than waiting until the morning, like they usually do. After last nights rain, I'd be surprised if any roads were still difficult to travel down this way. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jginmartini said:

Not much to report here except the cul-de-sac making crave a Cinnabon roll!   37* and moderate rain.   Snow slowly being chewed away

2729DB92-88FE-447B-A898-9DA159ACEF10.png

Mmmmmmmmm.....Cinnabon!  I can't remember the last time I was in a mall.  Well, I guess I do (just not what year), I had to go get my wedding ring cut off after I jammed my ring finger playing soccer.  I remember walking by Cinnabon and going into a diabetic coma just passing by and catching a whiff of all that Cinnabon goodness. 

• Excited 1

8 minutes ago, Everleigh said:

Ehhhh....Yeah, there are definitely "less traveled" roads out this way, that could stay snowier than others, and quite a few on some big hills as well. I guess I am just surprised they called it last night, rather than waiting until the morning, like they usually do. After last nights rain, I'd be surprised if any roads were still difficult to travel down this way. 

I was surprised too, and I'm a transportation dispatcher for one of our local school districts. We are the ones that check the roads and make a "recommendation" to the powers that be. I suggested they hold off and let us go back out this morning and check things out, but they were insistent upon calling a delay. I suppose too much caution is better than not enough, but usually it's the other way around with them.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Everleigh said:

Same situation up here, except it was wind instead of rain that gobbled up our snow.  My street is pretty bad in snowfalls, and it is almost completely clear now.  It's hard to imagine anyplace being difficult to drive at this point.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, awright-31 said:

I was surprised too, and I'm a transportation dispatcher for one of our local school districts. We are the ones that check the roads and make a "recommendation" to the powers that be. I suggested they hold off and let us go back out this morning and check things out, but they were insistent upon calling a delay. I suppose too much caution is better than not enough, but usually it's the other way around with them.

It's absolutely usually the other way around! If the phone rings before 5am, I know the school is either delayed or cancelled. lol Maybe they thought we'd see some snow last night....some of the models DID show our area with an inch or so....Who knows! I don't mind too much....gave us a little bit more time this morning to get our ish together, after 2 weeks off! 

2 minutes ago, Everleigh said:

It's absolutely usually the other way around! If the phone rings before 5am, I know the school is either delayed or cancelled. lol Maybe they thought we'd see some snow last night....some of the models DID show our area with an inch or so....Who knows! I don't mind too much....gave us a little bit more time this morning to get our ish together, after 2 weeks off! 

Our district also contracts a private company to provide weather forecasts. They pretty much treat what those mets say as gospel, but they're not the greatest. They called for accumulations 2-4" last night, which didn't materialize. That probably played a role in the call for a delay.

(When I get to work this morning I'm definitely going to tell my boss "I told you it wouldn't snow")
Maybe they should just check this forum instead of paying that company... lol.

• Like 4

5 years ago on this day was the start of both the snowiest 7-days and the biggest 1 day snowstorm I ever experienced in Klamath Falls. Just one storm dumped 18.4" (probably 2-3" of compaction). Normally winter has a little break after storms like that, but it wasn't the case in 16-17. 5" more fell on 1/7, then another 3" on 1/9. I totaled more than 26" in 7 days.

January eventually did become a lot less snowy in the 2nd half though, with only 1.5" falling on 1/22, with a few other smaller ones before it. Storms did continue in February with a quick 6.6" wet snow on 2/7, and 5" on 2/19. Winter still wasn't done. One of my latest 1-2" occurrences happened on 4/12/2017.

• Like 4

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 16
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 3/30, 3/31, 4/2, 4/3, 4/8, 

Severe storms: 2

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

I have had snowier than average Januaries since then, but 2017 was easily the biggest I had.

There was around 20" that fell in 2020.

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"

3 minutes ago, Poulsbo Snowman said:

Got a little snow with lots of rain last night.  Boss and many others called out today because of 14" of snow near Seabeck.  

I had a feeling seabeck stayed snow lastnight when I was switching back n forth. WOW. Normally I get very close to what they get but the cold dome doesn't get pushed out there as easy. Incredible 

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

19 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Just dug out... got at least a foot overnight.    Reminding me more and more of February 2019.

20220103_075201.jpg

Wow! That's incredible.

Home Weather Station Stats for 2023

High - Satans Bunghole

Lowest High - Not sure

Low - I don't have the data

Sub 40 highs - Not quite

Sub-freezing highs - Try again

Lows below 25 - You're joking

Lows below 20 - No

2023 Snowfall - LOL

Still snowing here... pretty much snowbound right now.     Driveway is clear but the roads are still not navigable.     The models insist the south wind blasts in here around noon as the cold air to the east is eroded.   Believe when I see it.   

• Like 3

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

When I was digging out before daylight... there were numerous blue flashes that looked almost like lightning but it was transformers.    Power is still on here though.   

• Like 4
  • scream 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Just now, TT-SEA said:

When I was digging out before daylight... there were numerous blue flashes that looked almost like lightning but it was transformers.    Power is still on here though.   

That only used to happen when I lived closer to the ranches during my first year in Klamath Falls. I don't think a snowstorm has ever knocked out downtown the whole time I was in the city for some reason.

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"

And to illustrate the amazing effects of outflow... this is the Issaquah Highlands about 10 miles west of here and also close to 1,000 feet.    There were buried in snow yesterday.   But this area is just a little too far west to get the cold outflow and more exposed to southerly flow.     So they had heavy rain all night that wiped out their snow while we got buried more.   It was pretty much equal last week between here and there... now we are absolutely buried and they have bare ground.

Highland_D_Dr_9th.jpg

• Like 5
  • scream 1

2 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

And to illustrate the amazing effects of outflow... this is the Issaquah Highlands about 10 miles west of here and also close to 1,000 feet.    There were buried in snow yesterday.   But this area is just a little too far west to get the cold outflow and more exposed to southerly flow.     So they had heavy rain all night that wiped out their snow while we got buried more.   It was pretty equal last week between here and there... now we are absolutely buried and they have bare ground.

Highland_D_Dr_9th.jpg

This setup was a forecasters worst nightmare. Heck, I think even you last night said you thought people like me would get more snow than you!

• Like 2

Home Weather Station Stats for 2023

High - Satans Bunghole

Lowest High - Not sure

Low - I don't have the data

Sub 40 highs - Not quite

Sub-freezing highs - Try again

Lows below 25 - You're joking

Lows below 20 - No

2023 Snowfall - LOL