PNW January 2022, Contact Info for Phil

The Blob

3 minutes ago, TacomaWaWx said:

Me thinks the models start looking interesting around the 25th. Lot of times it takes about 5 or 6 weeks to reset the pattern favorably and score again after a big event. 

We shall see.  The past has a lot of times the spacing is almost exactly a month from the onset of one to the onset of the next.  I guess I'm also playing the odds that we won't have another February only event.  We are really pushing the limit with that month.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

19 minutes ago, Tyler Mode said:

Was so nice today with wall to wall sunshine!  Great mood boost for most people.  Unlike the last few years, this winter so far seems to have a lot more clouds/rainy days.  Even SOME sun is nice to see every now and then.  My thoughts on a few rainy days in summer are the same.

It was great seeing the sun today, mid 40's and blue skies, even though it was short lived and the rain storms back tomorrow.  I am not sure if the 8" of snow is worth the trade off for all the clouds and rain in Seattle.  I have lived  my entire 38 years in this city and I feel like I need a change soon.  I could handle the gloom if I were in a more rural setting.  The spring and summers are so nice it is just enough to make me say, "it isn't so bad, I can handle this." Then winter comes.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

We shall see.  The past has a lot of times the spacing is almost exactly a month from the onset of one to the onset of the next.  I guess I'm also playing the odds that we won't have another February only event.  We are really pushing the limit with that month.

Would be pretty crazy to pull off 6 years in a row with snow in February. We said it wouldn’t happen the last 2 years now and it’s happened. February 2020 was a pretty minor snow event but still. 

• Like 1

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

1 hour ago, Omegaraptor said:

High of 66 in Brookings

They call it the Banana Belt. Snow is really rare there. Wouldn't be a bad place to retire, though if you need a break from snow, Tri Cities is probably the best bet given the ammenties and quality of care.

Garfield County/Pomeroy, WA:

2023-2024 Snowfall totals: 14.3 inches

HIghest snow total (per event): 5.8 inches total 1/11/24 - 1/12/24.

Most recent accumulation (non trace): 0.20 inches on 2/26/24

Days with  trace or more snowfall: 12/01/23 (0.60), 1/8/24 (1.0), 1/10/24 (3.5), 1/11/23 (3.5 inches with Thundersnow; separate event from prior day), 1/12/24 (2.30). 1/14/24 (T), 1/17/24 (1.20 inches), 1/18/24 (1.5 inches), 1/19/24 (0.20), 2/09/24 (0.30), 2/26/24 (0.20-mainly graupel)

First Freeze: 10/27/2023

Last Sub freezing Day: 1/20/24 (12th) (8 days in a row from 1/12/24-1/20/24)

Coldest low: -12F (!!!!!!!!) (1/12/24)

Last White Christmas: 2022 at my location (on ground)

12 minutes ago, TacomaWaWx said:

Would be pretty crazy to pull off 6 years in a row with snow in February. We said it wouldn’t happen the last 2 years now and it’s happened. February 2020 was a pretty minor snow event but still. 

Yeah it was a nice little event! 

2C396CBB-5FCB-4E1A-8663-1501467C9537.jpeg

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

23 minutes ago, Gummy said:

It was great seeing the sun today, mid 40's and blue skies, even though it was short lived and the rain storms back tomorrow.  I am not sure if the 8" of snow is worth the trade off for all the clouds and rain in Seattle.  I have lived  my entire 38 years in this city and I feel like I need a change soon.  I could handle the gloom if I were in a more rural setting.  The spring and summers are so nice it is just enough to make me say, "it isn't so bad, I can handle this." Then winter comes.

Yeah even though the dark wet days start to wear me down there is still something great about being out in my 5 wooded acres no matter what the weather is! If I lived in the city the dark wet would wear on me much more I believe. 

E2728FDC-946A-4167-9165-D583F8736689.jpeg

• Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

14 minutes ago, LowerGarfield said:

They call it the Banana Belt. Snow is really rare there. Wouldn't be a bad place to retire, though if you need a break from snow, Tri Cities is probably the best bet given the ammenties and quality of care.

No snow = no deal for me.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

25 minutes ago, TacomaWaWx said:

The pattern should be favorable for lowland snowfall this February. Would be surprised if it didn’t materialize.

With an El Niño possibly coming up, good chance the streak is broken next year. One of the next two winters will probably end up a dud.

10 minutes ago, Phil said:

The pattern should be favorable for lowland snowfall this February. Would be surprised if it didn’t materialize.

With an El Niño possibly coming up, good chance the streak is broken next year. One of the next two winters will probably end up a dud.

Since we will be coming off a 2 year Nina, could early winter be pretty good?  In Nino years, is there a difference early winter between years coming off a Nina vs coming off a neutral year?

5 hours ago, snow_wizard said:

As far as I can tell the vaccines are worthless.  I got it after the J&J and my wife got it after having the other one.

the  vaccines keep you out of the hospital and from dying dude.  good grief.  No one said it would keep you from getting sick.  I don't know why people can't get that through their thick heads.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • lol 1
  • Weenie 1

1 minute ago, Brian_in_Leavenworth said:

Since we will be coming off a 2 year Nina, could early winter be pretty good?  In Nino years, is there a difference early winter between years coming off a Nina vs coming off a neutral year?

I feel like are due for a big November! 

20 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

No snow = no deal for me.

My wife and I went down a rabbit hole today. It all started when we were talking about when sunny days really brighten the house and I mentioned that if we ever move again I want a house like I lived in as a kid…HUGE living room windows because there is nothing better than a bright sunny morning shining in during the spring and summer, and on snowy or post snowy sunny days in the winter. That gave her to opportunity to bring up Texas again and I literally said VOMIT WORTHY!! I cannot do Texas. Then she tried to tell me the weather is great and the summer heat is not that bad. I said nope! Between the climate, the fact that everyone and their brother is moving there, and how bad their animal welfare is there it’s a no go for me!! I told her Wyoming, Montana, or the Dakotas. That’s it for me. Usually I go with the flow and open minded but not when it comes to where we live. She said Wyoming would be too quiet and depressing, and too many of a certain party (not going to get political in this thread) moving to Montana and it’s ruining that state. So perhaps the Dakota’s? Haha 

15 minutes ago, Phishy Wx said:

the  vaccines keep you out of the hospital and from dying dude.  good grief.  No one said it would keep you from getting sick.  I don't know why people can't get that through their thick heads.

Well my father in law died after getting the vaccine.  

• Sad 6

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

I found this to be somewhat interesting. Oregon got about 3.5x more lighting strikes than Warshington. That's a bit surprising to me. I'm also surprised at how few lightning strikes Hawaii got. Thought they had a lot more storms there. That being said, TWL and myself will confirm that the amount of strikes in the So Valley was very sucky. I love tstorms almost as much as I love snowfall. 

lightning.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Phil said:

I totally agree that one of the next two will be a flop.  I think that any Nino next winter would be pretty weak though so I'm betting 2023-24 will be the bad one.

8 minutes ago, Dave said:

I found this to be somewhat interesting. Oregon got about 3.5x more lighting strikes than Warshington. That's a bit surprising to me. I'm also surprised at how few lightning strikes Hawaii got. Thought they had a lot more storms there. That being said, TWL and myself will confirm that the amount of strikes in the So Valley was very sucky. I love tstorms almost as much as I love snowfall. 

lightning.jpg

2021 was horrible for lightning here.  The only year I have ever seen that had no thunder at all.  Absolutely amazing given how dynamic the weather was overall.  BTW a serious problem with those rankings is some states are much smaller than others.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

1 hour ago, Brian_in_Leavenworth said:

No way to know a year in advance. Assuming the niño actually happens. 😂

33 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

Plenty of snow on the ground up this way. It’s melting, but not very fast, because it’s basically refrozen slush at this point.

View from this afternoon's walk at Mountain View Cemetery.

cemetery.jpg.8b4b1df991947fdd2bf5e120d92317db.jpg

Great pic!  It really sets a mood.  Pretty impressive to have such long lasting snow cover in Vancouver.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

49 minutes ago, MossMan said:

My wife and I went down a rabbit hole today. It all started when we were talking about when sunny days really brighten the house and I mentioned that if we ever move again I want a house like I lived in as a kid…HUGE living room windows because there is nothing better than a bright sunny morning shining in during the spring and summer, and on snowy or post snowy sunny days in the winter. That gave her to opportunity to bring up Texas again and I literally said VOMIT WORTHY!! I cannot do Texas. Then she tried to tell me the weather is great and the summer heat is not that bad. I said nope! Between the climate, the fact that everyone and their brother is moving there, and how bad their animal welfare is there it’s a no go for me!! I told her Wyoming, Montana, or the Dakotas. That’s it for me. Usually I go with the flow and open minded but not when it comes to where we live. She said Wyoming would be too quiet and depressing, and too many of a certain party (not going to get political in this thread) moving to Montana and it’s ruining that state. So perhaps the Dakota’s? Haha 

Texas isn't very vegetarian friendly either, or salmon and cheese friendly. 

• Like 5

52 minutes ago, MossMan said:

What about Maine? It’s like a continental version of the PNW.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

I totally agree that one of the next two will be a flop.  I think that any Nino next winter would be pretty weak though so I'm betting 2023-24 will be the bad one.

2021 was horrible for lightning here.  The only year I have ever seen that had no thunder at all.  Absolutely amazing given how dynamic the weather was overall.  BTW a serious problem with those rankings is some states are much smaller than others.

If a strike per square mile stat sheet was available that would be a bit more useful. There's probably one out there somewhere.

53 minutes ago, MossMan said:

I have always thought Western Montana would be really nice.  Texas would be really tough for me too.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

27 minutes ago, Dave said:

lightning.jpg

Wish that were listed by lightning strikes per kilometer.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Phil said:

What about Maine? It’s like a continental version of the PNW.

That is on my short list as well.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

1 hour ago, Brian_in_Leavenworth said:

No doubt scoring early is pretty important in a Nina to Nino transition.  In fact 1972-73 was exactly as you describe, and we got blasted in December.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

17 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

D**n, literally 100% opposite here.

2021 was easily a top-5 thunderstorm season for me. That big 4CH/western ridge drove multiple shortwaves right into Appalachia. Set off wave after wave of severe thunderstorms.

Hope we can repeat it this year…as long as the death ridge stays in the West. :lol: 

• Troll 2

2 minutes ago, Phil said:

D**n, literally 100% opposite here.

2021 was easily a top-5 thunderstorm season for me. That big 4CH/western ridge drove multiple shortwaves right into Appalachia. Set off wave after wave of severe thunderstorms. Hope we can repeat it this year (as long as the 4CH stays in the West, lol).

We're going to be hoping for the opposite thing then...at least as far as the 4CH is concerned.

• Sad 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

The 0z GFS looks a bit blockier over the GOA at day 7 than previous runs.  Nice to see.  At the very least we should be into some fake cold by next weekend or early next week.

• Like 3

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

1 hour ago, MossMan said:

No way I could do Texas either. The Black Hills of South Dakota are really nice!

• Like 1

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

Just now, snow_wizard said:

We're going to be hoping for the opposite thing then...at least as far as the 4CH is concerned.

Well we’re certainly “due” for a cool western summer. So odds are probably against me.

Nice to see one pass open today. Been seeing more semis passing by Eastgate in the last 2 hours. Stevens sounds like a nightmare. 

Not 50° anymore...in the upper 30s now!

• Like 1

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

3 minutes ago, Dave said:

When did you move to Canada? Oh well. Enjoy your time up there and please continue to post.

Ha if only.

4 minutes ago, Cloud said:

I don’t remember the last time a major thoroughfare through the passes remained closed for this long. Still pretty incredible. 

That snow event was epic.  I have a friend who lives in Dryden and he has three feet of snow on the ground.  That area is borderline semi arid.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9