PNW January 2022, Contact Info for Phil

The Blob

10 hours ago, AlTahoe said:

What was the final snow total in the area you were at? Or did it all blow away? Must have been some big drifts somewhere. 

Where I was, around 14”. The extreme wind and spray kept accumulation to a minimum until ~ 2pm, when the wind switched to offshore and accumulation began in earnest.

That 14” fell in ~ 5hrs right at the end of the storm. Really wild stuff.

• Like 2

Also want to say, this is an exceptionally sturdy building. Very well-built. The amount of abuse it can take is mind blowing. Mother Nature consistently hammers away at it, and it requires heavy maintenance, but it’s rock solid. 

In my conversation with the staff/maintenance crew, this kind of thing is actually relatively common in the cold season. Apparently this wasn’t even the worst storm they’ve seen this winter. :lol: A storm in November shattered all those ocean facing windows, this one didn’t. These storms are just a part of life for them.

I thought nor’easters could be violent down here in Maryland, and they can, but now I understand why they’re so hyped up there in New England. These things are f**king vicious. The combo of heavy snow, hurricane force winds, and frigid temperatures right at sea level is more analogous to what you’d experience in the Bering Sea or Anchorage, Alaska. If anything the snow is heavier with these storms given frontogenic dynamics associated with them.

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, Phil said:

Video, part-1.

First 10 mins: Starts slow. Rain/snow mix (gradually) transitioning to all snow. Gusts 60-65mph. Can hear the wind wailing through the power lines at times.

14-15mins: Intensity increases, 70mph gusts start ~ 15mins. Car is rocking really good despite the hotel building offering substantial protection from the wind. Still minimal accumulation.

22mins: Had to retreat inside, as conditions became unsafe and the “storm surge” began to engulf the building.

26mins: Hurricane force gusts, surge increasing.

32mins: VERY violent, gusts > 80mph. Window shatters 33:20.

34mins: Ocean hammers the building, flooding the basement and cracking 2 more windows.

36mins: About 1hr later, venture outside again as winds calm a bit (“a bit” being relative, still gusting 70+mph).

Snow accumulation = minimal thru this vid. The wind was simply too strong. Part-2 will have the rapid accumulation and whiteout conditions that happened at the end.

I know it’s a long video, but would recommend watching whole thing for best experience of storm evolution, which was quite dynamic.

Wow. What a life experience this had to be. It sure ramped up pretty fast. So intense. Nice job capturing it all. It's a good thing they had the strobe light working it looks like a great nice for some disco.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, DJ Droppin said:

Wow. What a life experience this had to be. It sure ramped up pretty fast. So intense. Nice job capturing it all. It's a good thing they had the strobe light working it looks like a great nice for some disco.

Oh, yeah when I arrived there was live music playing, everyone was drinking and having a great time without a care in the world. It’s an awesome place.

But next time I blizzard chase, I’m staying several miles inland. I underestimated the extent to which the wind would limit accumulations (and trigger a storm surge + coat everything with a thick layer of ice from spray..including my car). Major headache.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, The Ms. Anthrop said:

Seconding the fabulous sunset tonight! This is from Skyway looking NE up Lake Washington, towards Mercer Island and Bellevue at about 900 ft. I've never caught a rainbow with the drone before, so yay for that first. Some fun looking virga too! 

But need some snow. 

2F919C0335356E3DC5509B0F500146D2.JPG

82DA83AD27D8C4DBD2BF9705267C139A.JPG

B91F6DE7E96672305340F532B6CA1E76.JPG

Spectacular photos!!

7 hours ago, DJ Droppin said:

Phil driving to Seattle earlier! 🤣                                                                                                     

grinding-driving-on-the-rim.gif

:lol: 

5 hours ago, ShawniganLake said:

He has been trying to upload that video for 7 hours now.  We might have to wait for the internet to be upgraded in his neighborhood before we see it. 
😂 

I took a nap. Lol.

• Like 1
  • lol 1
  • Snow 1

10 hours ago, TacomaWaWx said:

Lol are you in HVAC? This is my second week on the job. It’s a lot to learn. 

I work for an HVAC company but I'm a Network Admin.

Home Weather Station Stats for 2023

High - Satans Bunghole

Lowest High - Not sure

Low - I don't have the data

Sub 40 highs - Not quite

Sub-freezing highs - Try again

Lows below 25 - You're joking

Lows below 20 - No

2023 Snowfall - LOL

240 hours out Euro doesn't show any snow in Klamath County. 

sn10_acc.us_nw (4).png

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 11
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

5 hours ago, Phil said:

Oh, yeah when I arrived there was live music playing, everyone was drinking and having a great time without a care in the world. It’s an awesome place.

But next time I blizzard chase, I’m staying several miles inland. I underestimated the extent to which the wind would limit accumulations (and trigger a storm surge + coat everything with a thick layer of ice from spray..including my car). Major headache.

Foxboro would have been a nice setup

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Phil said:

Also want to say, this is an exceptionally sturdy building. Very well-built. The amount of abuse it can take is mind blowing. Mother Nature consistently hammers away at it, and it requires heavy maintenance, but it’s rock solid. 

In my conversation with the staff/maintenance crew, this kind of thing is actually relatively common in the cold season. Apparently this wasn’t even the worst storm they’ve seen this winter. :lol: A storm in November shattered all those ocean facing windows, this one didn’t. These storms are just a part of life for them.

I thought nor’easters could be violent down here in Maryland, and they can, but now I understand why they’re so hyped up there in New England. These things are f**king vicious. The combo of heavy snow, hurricane force winds, and frigid temperatures right at sea level is more analogous to what you’d experience in the Bering Sea or Anchorage, Alaska. If anything the snow is heavier with these storms given frontogenic dynamics associated with them.

New England.  The Best.  Already planning my move back.  Will probably go more coastal this time.  Maine maybe.  still love NH though, and Portsmouth is a nice town too.

• Like 1

New thread for February folkx.

• scream 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

22 minutes ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

New thread for February folkx.

Weather has been so dull it took me a moment and a few shots to notice today was February 1st. 🤣

🥃🥃🥃

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 11
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

• Guest unpinned this topic
9 hours ago, Phil said:

Video, part-1.

First 10 mins: Starts slow. Rain/snow mix (gradually) transitioning to all snow. Gusts 60-65mph. Can hear the wind wailing through the power lines at times.

14-15mins: Intensity increases, 70mph gusts start ~ 15mins. Car is rocking really good despite the hotel building offering substantial protection from the wind. Still minimal accumulation.

22mins: Had to retreat inside, as conditions became unsafe and the “storm surge” began to engulf the building.

26mins: Hurricane force gusts, surge increasing.

32mins: VERY violent, window shatters 33:20. Gusts > 80mph.

34mins: Ocean hammers the building, flooding the basement and cracking 2 more windows.

36mins: About 1hr later, venture outside again as winds calm a bit (“a bit” being relative, still gusting 70+mph).

Snow accumulation = minimal thru this vid. The wind was simply too strong. Part-2 will have the rapid accumulation and whiteout conditions that happened at the end.

I know it’s a long video, but would recommend watching whole thing for best experience of storm evolution, which was quite dynamic.

Awesome stuff. Thanks for posting. 

• Like 3