PNW January 2022, Contact Info for Phil

The Blob

3 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

Tim, can you actually grab a tape measure and measure new snow and total depth please. We need to know. Or I do really..

Not sure where to measure now... since I cleared the entire driveway.   It was at least a foot overnight.  

Snoqualmie Ridge was the dividing line on I-90 between cold outflow to the east and southerly flow to the west.   The exact same thing happened on 2/11/2019.   

• Like 2

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

4 minutes ago, jakerepp said:

This setup was a forecasters worst nightmare. Heck, I think even you last night said you thought people like me would get more snow than you!

Yeah... I was wrong.    The moisture rode over the top of the cold outflow but it did not diminish the precip totals since it was shallow enough.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

4 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

I'm still shocked that I experienced 7 flashes of lightning and thunder. 

I hope you had video!

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 16
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 3/30, 3/31, 4/2, 4/3, 4/8, 

Severe storms: 2

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

North Bend at 440 feet is absolutely buried... but just 6 miles to the west at almost 1,000 feet at the Snoqualmie Parkway exit the roads are bare and wet.

• Like 4
  • scream 2

Looks like we got about 3" in Sultan overnight. Power blinked off some time in the night. Car was covered in ice underneath the snow and had a crunchy layer on top as well. Road going into my neighborhood had several cars stuck/in ditch and it has just started snowing again at 30.7*.

• Like 2

Got exactly two inches here between 10:30 and 1:00AM and just got word school is canceled so this teacher is going back to bed for a bit. Really fun event but tough not to think about how close it was to being epic. Glad I stayed up tracking it though.

• Like 7

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

1 hour ago, luvssnow_seattle said:

I was very surprised to see the temp go from 22 to 37 degrees here in Spokane with moderate rain. Currently raining and pushing towards 38 here. All models showed snow here but looks to just rain for a while. 

South wind will do that.  Slop fest.  although i'm back down to 34 last hour

6 minutes ago, tjb723 said:

Looks like we got about 3" in Sultan overnight. Power blinked off some time in the night. Car was covered in ice underneath the snow and had a crunchy layer on top as well. Road going into my neighborhood had several cars stuck/in ditch and it has just started snowing again at 30.7*.

Wow only 3"? You're only a couple miles west of me. Haystack Mountain must really play a role in these kinds of events...more than I thought it would.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SouthHillFrosty said:

Only snowpiles left. Everything else melted❄️❄️❄️❄️

Long Live the Snowpiles!

• Like 4
  • Excited 1

Home Weather Station Stats for 2023

High - Satans Bunghole

Lowest High - Not sure

Low - I don't have the data

Sub 40 highs - Not quite

Sub-freezing highs - Try again

Lows below 25 - You're joking

Lows below 20 - No

2023 Snowfall - LOL

1 minute ago, MossMan said:

I take it any more chances for snow this week are gone. 

Everett-north looks to have a chance at some quick stuff on Wednesday evening before a transition to rain. Probably a good event for BC.

Long range GFS is not so good starting next week. Lots of 50/40 type drizzle days. Typical January.

• Like 2
  • Rain 1

2 minutes ago, MossMan said:

I take it any more chances for snow this week are gone. 

Still a good chance for overrunning snow later in the day Wednesday before switching back to rain and warming up that night.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, smerfylicious said:

Wow only 3"? You're only a couple miles west of me. Haystack Mountain must really play a role in these kinds of events...more than I thought it would.

Pretty fascinating how localized these events can be. How quick was your changeover last night? It was all rain here until around 10:30 pm... Was getting worried about freezing rain before bed as temp had dropped to 32.2 before it finally changed over.

30 minutes ago, bainbridgekid said:

Got exactly two inches here between 10:30 and 1:00AM and just got word school is canceled so this teacher is going back to bed for a bit. Really fun event but tough not to think about how close it was to being epic. Glad I stayed up tracking it though.

Did not know your a teacher. Must be fun.

• Like 1

Up to 44F right now. Wife and son are making snowmen outside I think but I gotta go to work soon.

Our county sheriff advised folks to stay off the side/county roads about an hour ago, which is why school is closed today (it is bright and sunny now).

• Like 1

Garfield County/Pomeroy, WA:

2023-2024 Snowfall totals: 14.3 inches

HIghest snow total (per event): 5.8 inches total 1/11/24 - 1/12/24.

Most recent accumulation (non trace): 0.20 inches on 2/26/24

Days with  trace or more snowfall: 12/01/23 (0.60), 1/8/24 (1.0), 1/10/24 (3.5), 1/11/23 (3.5 inches with Thundersnow; separate event from prior day), 1/12/24 (2.30). 1/14/24 (T), 1/17/24 (1.20 inches), 1/18/24 (1.5 inches), 1/19/24 (0.20), 2/09/24 (0.30), 2/26/24 (0.20-mainly graupel), 4/5/24 (T)

First Freeze: 10/27/2023

Last Sub freezing Day: 1/20/24 (12th) (8 days in a row from 1/12/24-1/20/24)

Coldest low: -12F (!!!!!!!!) (1/12/24)

Last White Christmas: 2022 at my location (on ground)

6 hours ago, Geos said:

Too bad you're missing out tonight. What is your elevation?

Issue here is that I'm surrounded by water. 

400 feet.  Long story short...we get cold east winds here, but I'm on the southern edge of it so the cold is usually quite shallow in cases like this.  With a southerly wind aloft the cold above the ground gets eroded and carried northward.  As the cold is carried northward it becomes increasingly thick / deep.  That's why it can be colder here and raining than places that it's snowing just to the NNW.  Think of the cold air as being wedge shaped with the thinnest edge of the wedge just barely south of me.

On the plus side it stays cold here and we can hold onto snow quite well compared to places closer to the Sound.  For instance it's 33 here right now.  We never did get a south wind here.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

2 minutes ago, seattleweatherguy said:

Did not know your a teacher. Must be fun.

Yeah this is my 7th year. Teaching 3rd grade. It’s a blast.

• Like 2
  • Excited 2

2 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

400 feet.  Long story short...we get cold east winds here, but I'm on the southern edge of it so the cold is usually quite shallow in cases like this.  With a southerly wind aloft the cold above the ground gets eroded and carried northward.  As the cold is carried northward it becomes increasingly thick / deep.  That's why it can be colder here and raining than places that it's snowing.  Think of the cold air as being wedge shaped with the thinnest edge of the wedge just barely south of me.

On the plus side it stays cold here and we can hold onto snow quite well compared to places closer to the Sound.  For instance it's 33 here right now.  We never did get a south wind here.

It's cold offshore flow. 🥶 

16 minutes ago, jakerepp said:

Long Live the Snowpiles!

Death to warm anomalies in their yard!

It's always sunny at snow pile hill!

Snowmen love both summer warmth and winter cold (Moss must be Olaf the snowman) :P

• Excited 1

Garfield County/Pomeroy, WA:

2023-2024 Snowfall totals: 14.3 inches

HIghest snow total (per event): 5.8 inches total 1/11/24 - 1/12/24.

Most recent accumulation (non trace): 0.20 inches on 2/26/24

Days with  trace or more snowfall: 12/01/23 (0.60), 1/8/24 (1.0), 1/10/24 (3.5), 1/11/23 (3.5 inches with Thundersnow; separate event from prior day), 1/12/24 (2.30). 1/14/24 (T), 1/17/24 (1.20 inches), 1/18/24 (1.5 inches), 1/19/24 (0.20), 2/09/24 (0.30), 2/26/24 (0.20-mainly graupel), 4/5/24 (T)

First Freeze: 10/27/2023

Last Sub freezing Day: 1/20/24 (12th) (8 days in a row from 1/12/24-1/20/24)

Coldest low: -12F (!!!!!!!!) (1/12/24)

Last White Christmas: 2022 at my location (on ground)

1 hour ago, luvssnow_seattle said:

I was very surprised to see the temp go from 22 to 37 degrees here in Spokane with moderate rain. Currently raining and pushing towards 38 here. All models showed snow here but looks to just rain for a while. 

The NWS should know better. I don't know why they issued an advisory. Strong southerly winds are a killer in Spokane. It doesn't matter where the storm originates. It's nothing but strong warm air advection.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BLI snowman said:

Everett-north looks to have a chance at some quick stuff on Wednesday evening before a transition to rain. Probably a good event for BC.

Long range GFS is not so good starting next week. Lots of 50/40 type drizzle days. Typical January.

Boooooo! Hissssss!😠

• Sad 3

23 minutes ago, SouthHillFrosty said:

Only snowpiles left. Everything else melted❄️❄️❄️❄️

I guess I can't complain too much.  We still have decent snow cover here.  Staying cold was good for something at least....and of course the all important stats!

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Definitely shocking to see it's colder here than Spokane this morning.  Pretty nutso setup.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

13 minutes ago, BLI snowman said:

Bland weather or torching, it must be January again.👍

• Sad 1

The east slopes of the Cascades areas still locked in the deep freeze this morning.  I really think the Central WA climate is better than further east.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

1 minute ago, snow drift said:

Bland weather or torching, it must be January again.👍

Well...the first third of the month is a lock to average well below normal for the Puget Sound area.  The second half of the month still looks promising to me as well.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Just now, MossMan said:

I just forced myself to extrapolate again. 
C’MON late January!! 

8342FFC6-B3AB-4A61-97D9-052EBF3CB53B.jpeg

I like our chances.  The GOA ridge signal is very clear on the longer range models.  I think the brief crummy pattern is going to be transitory.  We still have a decent chilly trough slated for the 8th / 9th as well.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

2 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

The east slopes of the Cascades areas still locked in the deep freeze this morning.  I really think the Central WA climate is better than further east.

To say I am slightly envious of Brian in Leavenworth or an old boss of mine that now lives in Mazama would be a massive understatement. 

• Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Just now, snow_wizard said:

It's not as dynamic over there, but it benefits more from cold air damming. On the flipside, Arctic fronts can be very fun in the Spokane area.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, jakerepp said:

This setup was a forecasters worst nightmare. Heck, I think even you last night said you thought people like me would get more snow than you!

Wish I had the knowledge base to place my bet on a forecast like this but apparently I’m to busy outside chasing squirrels this way and that way….lol.      
I’m more focused just being out in it.  I’m sure some of the forecasters love the complications of these storms…..of course the boss could care less, just get the forecast right or else I call you into the room for a little talk.