PNW January 2022, Contact Info for Phil

The Blob

Forum Party at Tim’s l! Then when the southerlies hit his house we migrate the party to Brian’s place! 
Oh and here is a live view from Winthrop and Leavenworth! 

1F253A44-6CAE-451D-985A-CF59A427F5D3.jpeg

18F6CF57-4A1A-45F4-AFFD-5BD461F23872.jpeg

• Like 6

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

6 minutes ago, Jginmartini said:

And so the game begins…..who can hold onto any remaining snow until reinforcements of the next event arrives

37.2*

My snowbanks took a massive hit with all of the rain and wind last night. 🤮

648E26CC-8C16-43C8-AE9E-8B1935B18591.jpeg

C215A7C0-354C-4509-AC47-34835AFDDC07.jpeg

• Excited 2
  • Windy 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Everett has gotten 2.20” of rain from this storm. Much more than modeled and goes to show how absolutely epic this storm would have been if it came in two days sooner with cold air in place.

1.47” in 6 hours last night which I can’t remember ever seeing here.

• Like 5

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

9 minutes ago, MossMan said:

To say I am slightly envious of Brian in Leavenworth or an old boss of mine that now lives in Mazama would be a massive understatement. 

I'm not really envious. We have winters with good snowcover, and we have winters without good snowcover or something in between. I guess I really like the variation. I prefer a more dynamic climate.

1 minute ago, Tibster13 said:

Ok here’s my once a year post!

Reporting from White Salmon, WA. Always found the weather forecasting here to be really tough to pin down, as the NWS out of Portland tends to focus on Hood River and the western gorge, and the NWS out of Pendleton is always a blanket ‘East slopes of the cascades.’ I’m basically right across the Columbia River from Hood River, but higher up. I think I technically fall under the Pendleton office, but we’re right on the border of their forecasting areas. For just a quick example, we had no WWA or WSW leading up to this, and they only recently added a WWA for an additional 2” at 9am.

Id guess what makes the area tough to forecast is White Salmon essentially sits on top of a cliff side along the gorge. I’m at about 900’ but the elevation quickly increases the more towards Adams you go. Most model maps really struggle to show the difference between what’s going on along the river and what’s happening a quarter mile off of it up the hill.

I don’t have any temps or semi-official measurements to give you all so I’ll just let the pictures speak for themselves. Been a wild 9 hours and doesn’t seem to be ending anytime soon.

yay snow!

7763BF63-150E-4FE1-ABFA-337E8A948FC3.jpeg

0F130C37-DF94-45A8-84B4-6289388D5AF6.jpeg

947BDDB5-58A5-48A7-8E78-3DA5B27A3626.jpeg

Doggo wondering where it's supposed to do it's business!

• Like 2
  • lol 1

Home Weather Station Stats for 2023

High - Satans Bunghole

Lowest High - Not sure

Low - I don't have the data

Sub 40 highs - Not quite

Sub-freezing highs - Try again

Lows below 25 - You're joking

Lows below 20 - No

2023 Snowfall - LOL

1 minute ago, snow drift said:

I'm not really envious. We have winters with good snowcover, and we have winters without good snowcover or something in between. I guess I really like the variation. I prefer a more dynamic climate.

I want snow on the ground from mid November thru mid March. Every single winter. Someday I will find that place. 

• Like 1
  • Snow 1

8 minutes ago, Everleigh said:

After taking the kids to school, I see why they had a 2 hour delay. Main roads are fine. Side roads still have ice and slush. I got a little slippy trying to pull outta the high school parking lot. 

I'm sure driving on those roads gave you the "cat look".😆😂

• lol 1

7 minutes ago, bainbridgekid said:

Everett has gotten 2.20” of rain from this storm. Much more than modeled and goes to show how absolutely epic this storm would have been if it came in two days sooner with cold air in place.

I would have loved to have seen and experienced that. I feel a bit cheated.

7 minutes ago, Tibster13 said:

Reporting from White Salmon, WA. Always found the weather forecasting here to be really tough to pin down, as the NWS out of Portland tends to focus on Hood River and the western gorge, and the NWS out of Pendleton is always a blanket ‘East slopes of the cascades.’ I’m basically right across the Columbia River from Hood River, but higher up. I think I technically fall under the Pendleton office, but we’re right on the border of their forecasting areas. For just a quick example, we had no WWA or WSW leading up to this, and they only recently added a WWA for an additional 2” at 9am.

Id guess what makes the area tough to forecast is White Salmon essentially sits on top of a cliff side along the gorge. I’m at about 900’ but the elevation quickly increases the more towards Adams you go. Most model maps really struggle to show the difference between what’s going on along the river and what’s happening a quarter mile off of it up the hill.

I don’t have any temps or semi-official measurements to give you all so I’ll just let the pictures speak for themselves. Been a wild 9 hours and doesn’t seem to be ending anytime soon.

yay snow!

Never heard of this location before!! You’re always welcome to post more. How much snow do you average per year? 

10 minutes ago, Tibster13 said:

yay snow!

Lol!!! 😱😱😱

40A428B4-9158-4875-B1F4-EEE27CC0640F.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excited 1
  • lol 6

6 minutes ago, Chewbacca Defense said:

Here is the situation out my front window this morning.  Major sadness 😞

IMG_2445.jpg

My elderly parents a couple miles from you are very happy.   My dad has missed a couple important doctor appointments in the last week and they are finally able to get out.    That is a relief for me.  

• Like 4

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

20 minutes ago, MossMan said:

Forum Party at Tim’s l! Then when the southerlies hit his house we migrate the party to Brian’s place! 
Oh and here is a live view from Winthrop and Leavenworth! 

1F253A44-6CAE-451D-985A-CF59A427F5D3.jpeg

18F6CF57-4A1A-45F4-AFFD-5BD461F23872.jpeg

Looks like you already know where you need to go to get the snow environment you crave! Looks like we got about a foot at our place similar to Sherris in winthrop94BC6E8E-6DAB-4327-850D-BE53A3903E19.thumb.png.aa18643398e3343eecb05b2543a82901.png

• Like 4

Slushmageddon is in full swing here. Absolutely nasty outside and puddles everywhere, there is basically a pool of water/slush around my car.

I had to park on the street at my apartment complex and learned that I will try my hardest to never park on the street again during a slushmageddon.

EF09520E-EACD-4579-AAD0-FCA7774D31F2.thumb.jpeg.6e31033e1bd0cbc391dd93c6e66bd9f5.jpeg

• Like 1
  • scream 1

(Previous name: MillCreekMike)

Everett, WA (elev. 180’)

2023-2024 Snowfall:

1/11: Tr.

1/18: Tr.

Go M’s

Not sure how helpful this is, but I'm a lurker from South Kitsap (outside of Gorst, about 500') and it was so strange to see fellow Kitsap county folks on the forum reporting buckets of snow last night! We got nothing but heavy rain and some thunder, while areas around us got accumulations. A bit sad, really. I know snow doesn't last forever, but I hate watching it melt, especially in the rain.  

I trust these forums ahead of any other forecasts. Thanks for all you do!

• Like 7

4 consecutive runs where the GFS ends with GOA blocking.  Decent ensemble support too.

• Like 4

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Nothing but rain in North Seattle, just like I thought. Cliff Mass isn't always right, but he was sure right about this one (along with the NWS mets).

• Popcorn 1

My Weather Station:  https://ambientweather.net/dashboard/b415ff35b2d13f00c899051028f04466 

Located in North Seattle, elevation ~150ft. Highest temperature ever recorded is 110.3, lowest is 14.5.

My Twitter

2 minutes ago, gusky said:

Nothing but rain in North Seattle, just like I thought. Cliff Mass isn't always right, but he was sure right about this one (along with the NWS mets).

Not quite. He said no lowland snow and it snowed 2” here in Everett and roads were covered down to sea level.

NWS issued a WWA after the two inches had fallen but it didn’t snow any more after they issued it.

• Like 3

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

8 minutes ago, SouthHillFrosty said:

Never heard of this location before!! You’re always welcome to post more. How much snow do you average per year? 

Yeah I get that a lot. Haha. I’m originally from the Kirkland/Bothell area so I grew up with mostly wet, sad snow. No idea on yearly average. I follow weather with childlike enthusiasm and tend to black out from excitement when it snows.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Chewbacca Defense said:

Here is the situation out my front window this morning.  Major sadness 😞

IMG_2445.jpg

Good lord!  When it melts up there it goes whole hog.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

1 minute ago, bainbridgekid said:

Not quite. He said no lowland snow and it snowed 2” here in Everett and roads were covered down to sea level.

NWS issued a WWA after the two inches had fallen but it didn’t snow any more after they issued it.

Fair enough. Guess he was right for most people but messed up some other places.

My Weather Station:  https://ambientweather.net/dashboard/b415ff35b2d13f00c899051028f04466 

Located in North Seattle, elevation ~150ft. Highest temperature ever recorded is 110.3, lowest is 14.5.

My Twitter

4 minutes ago, gusky said:

He was not right at all.  The Puget Sound area is way more than just Seattle.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

2 minutes ago, Canadian guy said:

I’m interested to see what the euro weeklies look like today. 

Good I'm betting.  The 0z EPS was going the right way after day 10.  The weeklies extend off of that.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

1 minute ago, snow_wizard said:

He was not right at all.  The Puget Sound area is way more than just Seattle.

He did pretty good last night... most of the Seattle metro area saw rain and melted snow on the ground.   

• Like 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

26 minutes ago, bainbridgekid said:

1.47” in 6 hours last night which I can’t remember ever seeing here.

Dude if this had came in over arctic air in place it would've been historical maybe record breaking.

• Like 1

We come from the land of the ice and snow.