PNW January 2022, Contact Info for Phil

The Blob

Just now, TacomaWaWx said:

1.92” here today. Really started raining hard again 20 minutes until midnight but wasn’t enough to get to 2”. Raining hard still and up to a 2.25” storm total…and 4.08” for the month. 

I can't imagine what tomorrow is going to look like.  I may have to drive around even more closed roads than I did today.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Just now, GHweatherChris said:

Yep, I started rooting for it lol!!

Just feels like this winter isn't done with the cold yet either.  I just hope that next time we can come out of it in a more enjoyable way.  And of course, I hope our friends down south can fare better as well.

• Like 6

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

1 minute ago, snow_wizard said:

I can't imagine what tomorrow is going to look like.  I may have to drive around even more closed roads than I did today.

The recent snowmelt and consistently above average rainfall over the last few months has us very saturated. 

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

4 minutes ago, TacomaWaWx said:

The recent snowmelt and consistently above average rainfall over the last few months has us very saturated. 

In the long term scheme of things excessive wet usually leads to excessive cold.  I hope that's the case this year.  Could be a great year if ENSO cooperates.  Really hoping for a decent cold/dry regime this year.  Dry being a relative term of course.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Thinking of starting to actually try to keep official weather records for my station. How do y'all do it? Excel spreadsheet?

• Like 2

My Weather Station:  https://ambientweather.net/dashboard/b415ff35b2d13f00c899051028f04466 

Located in North Seattle, elevation ~150ft. Highest temperature ever recorded is 110.3, lowest is 14.5.

My Twitter

4 minutes ago, gusky said:

Thinking of starting to actually try to keep official weather records for my station. How do y'all do it? Excel spreadsheet?

I just put them in a notebook but excel works too. 

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

3 minutes ago, TacomaWaWx said:

I just put them in a notebook but excel works too. 

Hmm. Curious if there's a way to link my Ambient station to a spreadsheet or external source to input some stuff automatically too

My Weather Station:  https://ambientweather.net/dashboard/b415ff35b2d13f00c899051028f04466 

Located in North Seattle, elevation ~150ft. Highest temperature ever recorded is 110.3, lowest is 14.5.

My Twitter

1 hour ago, snow_wizard said:

A couple comments about some of the posts I've seen on here.  One is I have never seen anywhere near the amount snow that has happened in the Cle Elum, Ellensburg, and Easton area.  I lived there for a couple of winter, and have had ties to that area for decades.  This is truly exceptional.  Another is concerning the comment on the crazy AR's this season being a sign of climate change or whatever.  The 19th century says hello.  Greatest AR events ever witnessed in the NW were in the autumns of 1853 and 1861.  There is also sedimentary data which suggests the Skagit had a flood in 1816 that puts any modern day flood to shame.

Regarding the bolded, I'd be curious how much modern flood control (specifically, the numerous dams in the upper Skagit basin) affect that. Certainly this past November's AR, focused like a laser beam on the Fraser Valley and Skagit headwaters, would have been much, much worse for downstream Skagit communities if not for reservoir storage throughout the system. No such flood control would have existed in 1816.

• Like 1

Regarding the snow in Central WA..I am reminded of when we used to go east of the mountains for opening day of fishing season, and there were still thick patches of snow left in shaded areas around Cle Elum.  That was mid April, and I have not seen that since.  I suppose the early 1970s is probably the best match to the current regime in recent times.  Pretty impressive how many times 1970-71 and 1971-72 have shown up in the CPC analogs over the past few months.  Obviously no accident there.

I just can't over what is going on over there right now.  Probably more of a late 19th century through early 20th century vibe than anything.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

1 hour ago, gusky said:

I spent an entire weekend creating this awesome spreadsheet.  I just plug the numbers into it.  Later on my wife helped me add auto addition and averaging.  The bottom of the sheet is cut off and has a bunch of stuff for totals, normals, averages, etc.  BTW this Jan 1862 for Fort Vancouver.  

Jan 1862.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excited 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

4 minutes ago, SnowPlz said:

This live snow cam feed in Leavenworth is insane 

Wow!  Just like a fairy tale.

• Like 4
  • Snow 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

5 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

I spent an entire weekend creating this awesome spreadsheet.  I just plug the numbers into it.  Later on my wife helped me add auto addition and averaging.  The bottom of the sheet is cut off and has a bunch of stuff for totals, normals, averages, etc.  BTW this Jan 1862 for Fort Vancouver.  

Jan 1862.jpg

That's some impressive cold for that area.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

Jan 1862.jpg

That's great! Do you have a template for that or no? Would love to do something of the sorts.

My Twitter

8 minutes ago, North_County said:

Ah, bummer. Looks like the temperature finally popped to 33F around 11pm on Thursday. That's more disaapointing than I care to admit, all things considered.

Held on longer than I thought it would.  No way to complain about the last two weeks...other than the horrid mess right now.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

1 minute ago, snow drift said:

That's some impressive cold for that area.

Yes it is.  The Columbia froze 30 inches thick that winter.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

1 minute ago, gusky said:

That's great! Do you have a template for that or no? Would love to do something of the sorts.

I might be able to get the file to you somehow.  I did it on Excel 1995 or something like that, but the newer versions seem to deal with it.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

5 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

Jan 1862.jpg

Oh my god, I would shed grown man tears if we repeated that. The 45mph east wind blizzard on the 7th. The 15" thumping on the 10th kicking off 11 straight days below freezing (5 of them below 20, including a 13/-10 [!!!] day as well as three straight lows below 0) and an additional 8.5" of snow. And don't forget the return to the freezer at the end of the month bringing 12"+ of fresh powder and more highs below 20/a low below zero, preceded by spits of onshore frozen precip.

And that's just through the end of January. Do you have the rest of the winter?

• Like 3
  • Excited 1

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

-Total snowfall since joining: 50.25"

-2018-19: 21"

-2019-20: 2.5"

-2020-21: 13"

-2021-22: 8.75"

-2022-23: 5.75"

-2023-24*: 0.25"

-Most recent snowfall: 0.25”; January 17th, 2024

-Largest snowfall (single storm): 8.5"; February 12-13, 2021

-Largest snow depth: 14"; 1:30am February 12th, 2019

Temperatures:

-Warmest: 109F; June 28th, 2021

-Coldest: 13F; December 27th, 2021

-Phreeze Count 2023-24: 31

1 minute ago, Meatyorologist said:

Oh my god, I would shed grown man tears if we repeated that. The 45mph east wind blizzard on the 7th. The 15" thumping on the 10th kicking off 11 straight days below freezing (5 of them below 20, including a 13/-10 [!!!] day as well as three straight lows below 0) and an additional 8.5" of snow. And don't forget the return to the freezer at the end of the month bringing 12"+ of fresh powder and more highs below 20/a low below zero, preceded by spits of onshore frozen precip.

And that's just through the end of January. Do you have the rest of the winter?

Yeah.  I have it for Fort Steilacom also, but not in a picture format.  Basically it started around Dec 20 and went well into February.  At least 6 inches of snow at Fort Vancouver for all of both Jan and Feb.  Snowfall data for Fort Steilacom is lacking, but I was able to reconstruct it from newspaper accounts from a paper that just happened to come from the same area during that time frame.  We have an amazing picture of that winter thanks to dumb luck actually.

• Like 2
  • Excited 1
  • Snow 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Really disappointing EPS run.  Hopefully just a hiccup.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

50F with some light rain.

• Rain 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

We lost an amazing amount of snow overnight but the ground in still covered.  Wind was roaring all night.    I took this pic when I got up around 2 a.m.   It was barely raining at the time... that is just how fast the snow was melting off the roof.    The gutters were no match for it.

20220107_023301.jpg

• Like 6
  • scream 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

5 minutes ago, smerfylicious said:

Well, looks like my fun might not be over quite yet. Thanks to lower than expected temps, suddenly I'm in line for a possible 3-5 inches of more snow tonight into tomorrow, at least according to my weather app. 

Anything change in the models to show this?

Could happen... the upper level temps just crash this afternoon and the ECMWF shows a c-zone parked over the King/Snohomish line later today into this evening and then it slowly shifts north by tomorrow morning.   You and Randy could see a decent amount of snow.

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-total_snow_kuchera-1686400 (1).png

• Like 2

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**