PNW January 2022, Contact Info for Phil

The Blob

9 minutes ago, joelgombiner said:

Took a break to read this, since his analysis is usually short and to the point. 

While I like the balanced tone, I do have a few issues from a science perspective. 

He doesn't ever justify why he starts his analysis in the 1980's. He has cherry-picked starting points in the past to create a trend (or lack-there-of) to fit a narrative. I'm not saying that's the case here, but it's a red flag for me. 

Another thing is whether we really care about the overall trend in snowpack on a 5-year running mean. I think planners probably also care about the frequency of extremely low snowpack years. Even one year of extremely low snowpack elevates wildfire risk, is damaging to salmon recovery, and sparks water shortages. 

The 1980s was the start of the satellite era.

Any data before that is of lower quality.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Meatyorologist said:

Warning, stat dump:

I would kill for a 1955 warm season repeat. Just perfect all around. Most days in the 60s, lows cooling into the 40s. Occasional rain, occasional days in the 80s. A day or two above 90.

Here's how the "warm season" (months where strong heatwaves can occur, Apr-Oct) went (relative to 1991-2020 averages):

April: -6.7°F/+0.46". 3 freezes. Max temp 70°F. Min temp of 31°F on the 5th + 28th! Spits of onshore snow mid month; nothing measurable, just nighttime traces w/ lows in the low 30s. Coldest April on record.

May: -6.8°F/+0.07". Max temp 70°F. Min temp 38°F on four days early in the month. Only six lows above 45°F and two in the 50s.

June: -4.0°F/-0.18". Max temp 96°F on the 9th as part of a sharp two day heat wave; the hottest of the summer and an extreme outlier as the 5th through 12th went 60/71/74/85/96/75/74/63. Min temp 43°F. 22 highs below 70°F, 4 below 60°F.

July: -7.1°F(!)/+1.50". Max temp 82°F. Min temp 45°F. Only two days in the 80s, each falling consecutively on the 13th and 14th as 80/82. 19 days below 70°F! 59°F on the 3rd. Eight straight days with precipitation to finish the month. Six days at least 10°F below average. Coldest July on record.

August: -6.5°F/-0.80". Max temp 87°F. Min temp 44°F. Two highs in the 80s. 13 days below 70°F. A consistently chilly month.

September: -5.6°F/-0.09". Max temp 86°F. Min temp 37°F. Four lows in the 30s. 18 lows below 50°F. Two highs in the 80s. First six days 70°F+, then all 50s and 60s.

October: -3.4°F/+2.69". Max temp 68°F. Min temp 37°F. Not as "remarkably cold" as the summer preceding it, but still a decently chilly month. Of course we all know what followed in November... Worth noting that as "cool and wet" as this previous October was touted as, Oct 1955 was both more anomalously cooler and wetter. This century only 2019/2007/2001 even closely compare. And that's using the "weaker" of the months.

Of course 1955 was an exceptionally cold year; coming in at an all-time record 47.9°F. Compared to the rolling climate-adjusted averages it's as anomalous as the likes of 1985 and 2011. Not included in this was March 1955, which remains the coldest on record w/ 10.2" of snow and a 29/11 day on the 4th.

2011 is on its own tier of anomaly IMO. The yearly temp average of 51.0°F stands out immensely and is the coldest year since 1985's incredible 49.9°F average. Before that it's 50.6°F in 1971, then 50.0°F in 1964, then of course nearly every year in the 50's, lol. 2011 did this without any major, record breaking cold snaps too. It mixes well with any decade in the last 60 years, which for a 20th century year is really unmatched. 2000-02 and 2008 try their best but don't quite get down to 51.0°F. Maybe we'll see a sub 52°F year again someday. I really hope so.

Honest question that's been bugging me for a while now, because I seem to be one of the only ones who disagrees. But why is the general assumption on here that "cool summers" are best? I mean, aside from the issue of snowpack, and I guess possibly wildfires. It's a claim I see repeated fairly regularly, and is generally framed as accepted fact. Personally, I like to freeze in the winter, and warm back up in the summer. I find nothing enjoyable about "cool" summer days. I want to roast under a million degree sun to get the winter chill out of my bones.

I fully expect this to be the most disliked post of the year, by the way.

• Like 5
  • Weenie 1

Just now, North_County said:

Honest question that's been bugging me for a while now, because I seem to be one of the only ones who disagrees. But why is the general assumption on here that "cool summers" are best? I mean, aside from the issue of snowpack, and I guess possibly wildfires. It's a claim I see repeated fairly regularly, and is generally framed as accepted fact. Personally, I like to freeze in the winter, and warm back up in the summer. I find nothing enjoyable about "cool" summer days. I want to roast under a million degree sun to get the winter chill out of my bones.

To be clear, I wasnt directing that at you, specifically, Meatyorologist. It's something I see repeated by lots of users, and have never fully understood.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, North_County said:

You are definitely not alone on here.   👍

I don't really enjoy extreme heat... but a gloomy and damp summer would be very depressing to me.   But we all have our own preferences just like everything in life.    😀

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Weenie 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

2 minutes ago, North_County said:

To be clear, I wasnt directing that at you, specifically, Meatyorologist. It's something I see repeated by lots of users, and have never fully understood.

No shame in it, man. There is a large (abs growing) population of heat misers on here. Used to be just Tim. 😂

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, North_County said:

Do you have air conditioning? I always really disliked hot Summers but ever since buying a house with AC in 2018 I've come to love them.

• Like 2
  • Sick 1

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

Just now, bainbridgekid said:

Do you have air conditioning? I always really disliked hot Summers but ever since buying a house with AC in 2018 I've come to love them.

Nope. But I probably only have a few years left on my furnace, and then I figured I'd probably upgrade to a heat pump instead of replacing it with the same.

The question is whether you would expect to see decadal variability or AGW dominate the trend over the last 40 years. 

Studies incorporating snowpack proxies only see a downward trend emerging when you look at longer timescales. Widespread glacier retreat is another unambiguous recorder of longer-term snowpack trends. 

At this juncture, we either have to use proxies, models, or patience to see more than decadal variability. 

1 minute ago, North_County said:

Nope. But I probably only have a few years left on my furnace, and then I figured I'd probably upgrade to a heat pump instead of replacing it with the same.

Make sure to get one that can handle real cold or some kind of back-up. I know some people who got one but it can't properly heat their home when the temperature is below the mid-30's. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Phil said:

No shame in it, man. There is a large (abs growing) population of heat misers on here. Used to be just Tim. 😂

For the record... you claim enjoying upper 70s and low 80s and sunshine makes me a heat miser.    That same weather would be absolutely heaven to you.   So we actually both agree on what is heavenly weather in the summer.  😀

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

9 minutes ago, North_County said:

Helps us avoid this:

image.jpeg

• Like 2

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

11 minutes ago, North_County said:

I love hot summer days. I just would prefer to have zero 100 degree days and several breaks of mild weather with precip sprinkled throughout if we're going to do extended periods of 90+. Hard to thread that needle though. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, North_County said:

Having just installed A/C this past summer, I can offer this insight, which may or may not apply to others.

Prior to having A/C, I dreaded anything over about 75-77, because that translated to a warm house.  Anything higher, the misery just increased.  Keep in mind, I grew up in the southeast,  worked on a farm in the summers about 45 minutes north of the Florida border, so I do know what real heat and real summer misery is all about.  It's one of the main reasons I moved to the PNW.

Sorry for the tangent.....we were very VERY fortunate and had our A/C installed about 10 days before the record heat at the end of June.  That was hot and sucked no matter what.  As for the rest of the summer, I found that my temperature tolerance outside increased because I had a nice cool house to retreat to in the evenings.  I used to hate 80 degrees, where as this summer I rather enjoyed it.

Since a majority of folks still don't have A/C here then there is a fine line between "comfortably warm" and "its TOO F*CKING HOT!!!"

There are of course tons of other factors...if there is a breeze, how much it cools off at night, etc, but that was one thing that kinda surprised me this past summer....how my tolerance changed when I knew I had a cool house to retreat to

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, North_County said:

I get this take…I just like cooler wetter summers because even in a cool wet summer sunny warm days still tend to outnumber cool rainy ones 5-1 atleast. It’s just a matter of getting weather variety. I also just like warm rain in the summertime. Everyone’s allowed their own personal preference my perfect summer is 2019 with quite a few convective events and decent rainstorms. There was still plenty of sunny warm days that whole warm season.

• Like 2

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

32 minutes ago, joelgombiner said:

Took a break to read this, since his analysis is usually short and to the point. 

While I like the balanced tone, I do have a few issues from a science perspective. 

He doesn't ever justify why he starts his analysis in the 1980's. He has cherry-picked starting points in the past to create a trend (or lack-there-of) to fit a narrative. I'm not saying that's the case here, but it's a red flag for me. 

Another thing is whether we really care about the overall trend in snowpack on a 5-year running mean. I think planners probably also care about the frequency of extremely low snowpack years. Even one year of extremely low snowpack elevates wildfire risk, is damaging to salmon recovery, and sparks water shortages. 

Well said. I like Cliff, but I don't really understand his stance on climate change given his level of education. He's definitely not a denier, but it just feels like he cherrypicks stats (and data points, like you said) to try and downplay the significance. Even if his science IS right, his lack of posts about what climate change WILL affect is troubling. 

My Weather Station:  https://ambientweather.net/dashboard/b415ff35b2d13f00c899051028f04466 

Located in North Seattle, elevation ~150ft. Highest temperature ever recorded is 110.3, lowest is 14.5.

My Twitter

20 minutes ago, North_County said:

I agree to a certain extent. I want summer to be warm, but not OVERLY warm. I might be biased because my room faces the sun most of the day and has no insulation, but still. (My thermometer read over 110 in my room during last summer's heat wave).

• Like 1

My Weather Station:  https://ambientweather.net/dashboard/b415ff35b2d13f00c899051028f04466 

Located in North Seattle, elevation ~150ft. Highest temperature ever recorded is 110.3, lowest is 14.5.

My Twitter

6 minutes ago, North_County said:

Something to think about, we went into our purchase thinking we were going to get a heat pump, but when they came out to do the bid, the guy said that since I was on natural gas heat, that I should get a regular A/C unit.  He said if I was on electric or propane heat, a heat pump would be the more cost effective way to go.  The heat pump is more expensive than the traditional A/C, so its not like he was trying to bump up his commission.  That was with Barron's.

We had another company come out and gave us a very half-assed bid, really pushed the heat pump, and it was more expensive than the first bid.  Add to that, Barron did a very thorough assessment and estimate was an "all in" estimate.

The other guy's estimate was full of weasel words and caveats that any deviation from  a "standard" install would be extra.  Considering he walked into my garage and said "yep there's the furnace", went and looked at where we wanted the compressor and said "that will work" and left after 5 minutes, I was farily certain his bid would increase by at least 2-3k.  For comparison, Barron's spent 45 minutes inspecting/testing the current set up, and actually mapped out how they would install it.

• Like 1

Call me sick and twisted but I enjoyed last summers heatwave. I would not have so much if we did not have A/C. (Geothermal system) if we didn’t we would have just stayed at the family lake house since the basement there never gets above the upper 60’s no matter how hot it gets outside. Plus you could just jump in the lake to cool off. 

For the most part though a perfect summer for me would be upper 70’s/low 80’s with a good soaking rain one night a week. 

• Like 1
  • Excited 1
  • Sick 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

4 minutes ago, Chewbacca Defense said:

Something to think about, we went into our purchase thinking we were going to get a heat pump, but when they came out to do the bid, the guy said that since I was on natural gas heat, that I should get a regular A/C unit.  He said if I was on electric or propane heat, a heat pump would be the more cost effective way to go.  The heat pump is more expensive than the traditional A/C, so its not like he was trying to bump up his commission.  That was with Barron's.

We had another company come out and gave us a very half-assed bid, really pushed the heat pump, and it was more expensive than the first bid.  Add to that, Barron did a very thorough assessment and estimate was an "all in" estimate.

The other guy's estimate was full of weasel words and caveats that any deviation from  a "standard" install would be extra.  Considering he walked into my garage and said "yep there's the furnace", went and looked at where we wanted the compressor and said "that will work" and left after 5 minutes, I was farily certain his bid would increase by at least 2-3k.  For comparison, Barron's spent 45 minutes inspecting/testing the current set up, and actually mapped out how they would install it.

Thanks, good to know. But in your case, was your situation to replace the furnace regardless? I would certainly agree that the cost to keep furnace and add AC is probably cheaper than replacing furnace with heat pump. But for me, I'm guessing I'm going to need to have the furnace replaced in the next few years regardless, in which case, my math would be replace furnace with new furnace and add AC vs. replace furnace with heat pump.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, gusky said:

Well said. I like Cliff, but I don't really understand his stance on climate change given his level of education. He's definitely not a denier, but it just feels like he cherrypicks stats (and data points, like you said) to try and downplay the significance. Even if his science IS right, his lack of posts about what climate change WILL affect is troubling. 

I think Cliff is trying to counter the media hysteria over every event being caused by climate change.  And people will stop paying attention to real science when there is so much junk science in the media.

What may have got his attention years ago was a claim about how mountain snow pack had gone down dramatically, but what really happened was that the first year they started keeping track was one of the all time snowiest years, if not the snowiest.  So of course the trend was downward.  Wasn't a conspiracy, just an unfortunate year to start keeping stats 

But the media screamed over and over that snowpack was decreasing dramatically when it really wasn't.  Bad science journalism.

So many more examples.  Like Covid, there are all sorts of examples of media hysteria, but that can obscure the truth, which still shows how serious covid is, but bad science and bad journalism can obscure that.

Just like the tree the UW got from Florida that died because they did not water it in Summer, and of course Florida gets a lot of precipitation in the Summer.  That's why the tree died, not just according to Cliff, but from an arborist from Florida, who said the tree cannot survive in the PNW without being watered in the Summer.  Despite that the Sunday Seattle Times had a front page screaming headline blaming climate change.  More bad science journalism.

So many more examples, and his POV is that this is like the boy who cried wolf.  Nobody believed him after awhile, even when he was telling the truth.

He has spoken out about this and has paid a significant personal price for it.  Death threats galore, losing a job as a radio host, hate mail, etc.  

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, MossMan said:

Call me sick and twisted but I enjoyed last summers heatwave. I would not have so much if we did not have A/C. (Geothermal system) if we didn’t we would have just stayed at the family lake house since the basement there never gets above the upper 60’s no matter how hot it gets outside. Plus you could just jump in the lake to cool off. 

For the most part though a perfect summer for me would be upper 70’s/low 80’s with a good soaking rain one night a week. 

It was way too f*cking hot, but I enjoyed it for the spectacle it was. Good geek out stuff.

• Like 2

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Just now, Deweydog said:

It was way too f*cking hot, but I enjoyed it for the spectacle it was. Good geek out stuff.

Statistically it was incredible to experience. I made the best of it and thankfully had somewhere cool to go to. Just a shame a lot of people died during the heatwave. Probably one of the deadliest PNW weather events. 

• Like 1

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

I would enjoy heatwaves if we had cold waves with near the same frequency. 

• Like 2
  • Excited 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

6 minutes ago, North_County said:

Thanks, good to know. But in your case, was your situation to replace the furnace regardless? I would certainly agree that the cost to keep furnace and add AC is probably cheaper than replacing furnace with heat pump. But for me, I'm guessing I'm going to need to have the furnace replaced in the next few years regardless, in which case, my math would be replace furnace with new furnace and add AC vs. replace furnace with heat pump.

Yeah we were replacing both, which I think they recommend you do if your furnace is getting into that range where it would need replacing.  Ours was 17-18 years old.

And the costs he was referring to was operating costs.  Natural gas is so cheap and efficient, that it would be cheaper to just run the furnace when you need heat.  Propane and electric furnaces on the other hand, you would want to have that heat pump feature to use  as much as possible, so that you were only using the furnace when it got too cold for the HP to be effective.

18z was quite a bummer. 

• Storm 1
  • Sick 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

14 minutes ago, MossMan said:

I can confirm that your opinion would be COMPLETELY different if you didn't have central AC. Every floor in my house was over 100 degrees except for my basement, which generally stayed below 80 (I spent a LOT of time down there). Prompted us to start looking into central AC.

• Like 1

My Twitter

5 minutes ago, MossMan said:

I like this in the summer.

And that in the winter. 

6CD9A3A9-1CBA-4C90-A0C8-E8AF9D894115.jpeg

8AEB10A7-639A-403E-B349-BF98E6D44B10.jpeg

I have comparisons of the crab apple tree in 3 stages! 

IMG_1785.JPG

DSC00985.jpg

IMG_1410.JPG

• Like 6

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 16
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 3/30, 3/31, 4/2, 4/3, 4/8, 

Severe storms: 2

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

43 minutes ago, TigerWoodsLibido said:

Helps us avoid this:

image.jpeg

He also lives in a place where "cool" summer weather can very well mean 60 degrees and raining for long stretches. Which, if lined up with a messy spring/fall, can mean months of pretty blah weather in the warmest part of the year.

If you're south of the Puget Sound or well away from the water, "cool" summer weather historically still means plenty of comfortable 70-75+ days and minimal rainfall. Not exactly Sitka weather.

I can understand why one would want a little more annual variety in the more maritime and cloudy parts of the region, but down this way and certainly down your way, I don't see much of a rational reason to complain about modestly less-warm-than-average summer weather. Especially when measured up against the unprecedented heat and fire danger of the last decade.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, BLI snowman said:

Technically the first weather satellite was launched in 1960. Maybe lower quality, but the satellite era was well underway by the 1980s.

Weather Radar has existed for quite a while but we haven't started archiving a lot of things until more recently. 

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 16
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 3/30, 3/31, 4/2, 4/3, 4/8, 

Severe storms: 2

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

52 minutes ago, North_County said:

My own preferences. :)

That and reduced wildfire risk, glacial retention, improved salmon outlook, ect. Also I don't have AC.

I should disclaim however that I do enjoy sporadic, brief, sharp heatwaves into the 90s, even nearing 100. Those are common, yearly events and have occurred since man first trekked onto the North American continent. Those are nice and comfortably hot. Great for water sports. Obviously this past June's 108°F was sickeningly excessive.

A part of me is also aware of what weather we will be losing due to climate change, and I do want to live through an errant old-school-style summer. Ironically enough, the last truly cold summer month was my birth month, July 2001, which came in at -4.7°F relative to modern averages. Using 1971-2000 averages it's a -2.8°F month. -1.4°F using 1951-1980 averages. So much change in just a couple decades....

• Like 3

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

-Total snowfall since joining: 50.25"

-2018-19: 21"

-2019-20: 2.5"

-2020-21: 13"

-2021-22: 8.75"

-2022-23: 5.75"

-2023-24*: 0.25"

-Most recent snowfall: 0.25”; January 17th, 2024

-Largest snowfall (single storm): 8.5"; February 12-13, 2021

-Largest snow depth: 14"; 1:30am February 12th, 2019

Temperatures:

-Warmest: 109F; June 28th, 2021

-Coldest: 13F; December 27th, 2021

-Phreeze Count 2023-24: 31

5 minutes ago, BLI snowman said:

He also lives in a place where "cool" summer weather can very well mean 60 degrees and raining for long stretches. Which, if lined up with a messy spring/fall, can mean months of pretty blah weather in the warmest part of the year.

If you're south of the Puget Sound or well away from the water, "cool" summer weather historically still means plenty of comfortable 70-75+ days and minimal rainfall. Not exactly Sitka weather.

I can understand why one would want a little more annual variety in the more maritime and cloudy parts of the region, but down this way and certainly down your way, I don't see much of a rational reason to complain about modestly less-warm-than-average summer weather. Especially when measured up against the unprecedented heat and fire danger of the last decade.

Shockingly, I do enjoy that year round. With sporadic breaks, of course, but overall I am a staunch pluviophile.

That extremely cool summer weather, I do recognize, isn't actually necessary ecologically speaking. It's just a preference thing for me.

• Like 1

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

-Largest snowfall (single storm): 8.5"; February 12-13, 2021

-Largest snow depth: 14"; 1:30am February 12th, 2019

Temperatures:

-Warmest: 109F; June 28th, 2021

-Coldest: 13F; December 27th, 2021

-Phreeze Count 2023-24: 31

3 minutes ago, Meatyorologist said:

My own preferences. :)

That and reduced wildfire risk, glacial retention, improved salmon outlook, ect. Also I don't have AC.

I should disclaim however that I do enjoy sporadic, brief, sharp heatwaves into the 90s, even nearing 100. Those are common, yearly events and have occurred since man first trekked onto the North American continent. Those are nice and comfortably hot. Great for water sports. Obviously this past June's 108°F was sickeningly excessive.

A part of me is also aware of what weather we will be losing due to climate change, and I do want to live through an errant old-school-style summer. Ironically enough, the last truly cold summer month was my birth month, July 2001, which came in at -4.7°F relative to modern averages. Using 1971-2000 averages it's a -2.8°F month. -1.4°F using 1951-1980 averages. So much change in just a couple decades....

Yeah, preferences aside, there's also a  real novelty now to seeing cold anomalies of any significant magnitude in this day and age. Like seeing a Northern Spotted Owl in the wild. They may still exist, but it's a fascinating little oddity when you see them up close.

• Like 2

Believe it or not, I am kind of ready for some summery weather. It's a bit earlier than usual this year, likely set on by December's great cold/snow event.

Usually by March I am ready for 70s/80s and mostly sunny skies.

In recent years that "craving" has been satisfied by mid-May, so my pluvio-affinity has perhaps been artificially removed before the big season's arrival, compared to older, more "normal" Seattle summers.

Don't get me wrong, though, I want the hammer to drop from the north even more. Just wouldn't mind that mid Spring radiance from the sun

• Like 1
  • scream 1

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall: