PNW January 2022, Contact Info for Phil

The Blob

7 minutes ago, Brian_in_Leavenworth said:

How old is it? If it somewhat modern, and built to code, it should be ok.  Leavenworth has a code that requires a snow load 4.25x the national average.  Lake Wenatchee requires a code 7x the national average.  

December 1996 saw 90 inches of snow fall so probably the load on roofs was greater than today.  January 1969 had 3 days with a snow depth of 93 inches.  If your cabin is that old and has had a new roof since then, it should be ok I would think.  Point is that our area has seen greater snow depth and greater weights of snows.

This big snow was fairly fluffy and light, based on the shoveling that I did, and based on how much it has compacted since Friday.

These are the #'s for in town Tahoe and outside near the mountains. 

In the city, homes built today must be able to hold 150 pounds of snow per square foot (PSF), and in the county it depends on where your home is located, with some areas requiring 300 pounds per square foot.

• Like 1

• Like 2
  • Sick 1

Home Weather Station Stats for 2023

High - Satans Bunghole

Lowest High - Not sure

Low - I don't have the data

Sub 40 highs - Not quite

Sub-freezing highs - Try again

Lows below 25 - You're joking

Lows below 20 - No

2023 Snowfall - LOL

3 minutes ago, Omegaraptor said:

Looks like this rainy season is over for Oregon and California. Just threw my rain gear in the depths of my closet where it will remain until November.

Euro and gfs look fairly dry this weekend into next week for sure. Might capitalize and go camping this weekend. 

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

7 minutes ago, AlTahoe said:

These are the #'s for in town Tahoe and outside near the mountains. 

In the city, homes built today must be able to hold 150 pounds of snow per square foot (PSF), and in the county it depends on where your home is located, with some areas requiring 300 pounds per square foot.

National average is 20#, so those are really strong roofs there.

So many people here, especially newcomers, hiring people to take snow off their roofs, and often probably unnecessary.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Omegaraptor said:

Anyway it looks like the Willamette Valley including Corvallis is under an inversion and cooler than Puget Sound this morning. Nice to see.

Pretty crazy how long Ellensburg has been below freezing for. Last above freezing temp there was on 12/26.

No inversion just leftover offshore flow South winds are already mixing things out in the south valley much of the WV and Portland area will be well into the low to mid 50s by later this afternoon 

• Like 1

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

14 minutes ago, KingstonWX said:

It's somewhat modern, built in 1982, and it's a dome so in theory it should hold well, but being a dome i'm always worried about leaks. I am more concerned about the secondary buildings like the garages and ADU. Plus I'd be willing to bet the greenhouse roof is toast, but that happens every couple years anyway.

When they plow the roads, there may be a huge berm blocking the driveway.

4 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

No inversion just leftover offshore flow South winds are mixing things out much of the WV and Portland area will be well into the low to mid 50s by later this afternoon 

Thanks for the explanation. Looks like quite a few places are already mixing out. Just took a quick look and saw the lack of wind at Corvallis and made a bit of premature judgement. Oops!

• Weenie 1

5 minutes ago, Chris said:

Baseball is an ever popular topic.  Was it the Phillies you played for?

Correct! Here is the only photographic evidence.

Annotation 2019-12-27 094316.png

• Like 3

High - Satans Bunghole

Lowest High - Not sure

Sub 40 highs - Not quite

Lows below 20 - No

2023 Snowfall - LOL

2 minutes ago, jakerepp said:

Correct! Here is the only photographic evidence.

Annotation 2019-12-27 094316.png

Hmm appear to be 6'1"-6'3"? and left handed? That's the perfect setup for a College scholarship and the Pro's!

I was a 6'1" 225lb's right hander (Pitcher, Center field). Even though I could consistently throw upper 80's and touch lower 90's I was a dime a dozen (especially in the Bay Area) and didn't get any offers. I got to pitch against Pat Burrell and Jimmy Rollins in tournament ball though!

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, AlTahoe said:

Hmm appear to be 6'1"-6'3"? and left handed? That's the perfect setup for a College scholarship and the Pro's!

I was a 6'1" 225lb's right hander (Pitcher, Center field). Even though I could consistently throw upper 80's and touch lower 90's I was a dime a dozen (especially in the Bay Area) and didn't get any offers. I got to pitch against Pat Burrell and Jimmy Rollins in tournament ball though!

6'5''!

I rarely even touched 90 but still got an opportunity. I had a really good slider/cutter though, which I know is what really made the difference for me.

I played against some dudes from this area, Michael Conforto and Blake Snell being the two biggest names. Then obviously some of my Phillies teammates have made it all the way up, some with pretty significant success so far.

• Like 1

High - Satans Bunghole

Lowest High - Not sure

Sub 40 highs - Not quite

Lows below 20 - No

2023 Snowfall - LOL

11 minutes ago, Phishy Wx said:

looks like blah wx until probably early Feb ish?

Yeah I think the most exciting part of January is over. Models will probably start looking interesting the last week of January. We’re in a funk reset mode hoping for retrogression for now. 

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

3 minutes ago, jakerepp said:

6'5''!

I rarely even touched 90 but still got an opportunity. I had a really good slider/cutter though, which I know is what really made the difference for me.

I played against some dudes from this area, Michael Conforto and Blake Snell being the two biggest names. Then obviously some of my Phillies teammates have made it all the way up, some with pretty significant success so far.

That's awesome! 

6'5" and left handed will have everyone looking at you. That's unicorn territory. 

7 minutes ago, AlTahoe said:

That's awesome! 

6'5" and left handed will have everyone looking at you. That's unicorn territory. 

I was 13 when I was first told I could be a first round pick. That person was only 26 rounds off, but still!

• lol 1

High - Satans Bunghole

Lowest High - Not sure

Sub 40 highs - Not quite

Lows below 20 - No

2023 Snowfall - LOL

7 minutes ago, Brian_in_Leavenworth said:

Oh boy, is everyone just searching my name on Google now? There are plenty of mugshots of me you can laugh at.

• lol 1

High - Satans Bunghole

Lowest High - Not sure

Sub 40 highs - Not quite

Lows below 20 - No

2023 Snowfall - LOL

My personal favorite

Screenshot 2022-01-11 120410.jpg

• Like 3

High - Satans Bunghole

Lowest High - Not sure

Sub 40 highs - Not quite

Lows below 20 - No

2023 Snowfall - LOL

1 hour ago, The Blob said:

The mystery knit along for Rose City Yarn crawl has started and I'm thinking of going back to school to pursue my bachelor's. Amazon will pay $5,250 year with no life time limit for associates and bachelor's degrees.

I was 47 when I finally completed my Bachelor's Degree.  I don't know how old you are, but hopefully that's proof that you are never too old.  I was working 45-50 hour weeks and my youngest was still in high school while I was going t school. 

It made a huge difference in my life.  There are many career paths that do not require a degree, mine is not on one of them.  I advanced pretty high up where I was at because of my hard work, but I could not go anywhere else because I could not "check that box."   I finished my degree in 2019 (BS in Business Management), and fall 2020 I found out I was going to get laid off.  Yeah, I was a little concerned, but nothing like the stress I felt during previous layoffs when I didn't have that degree.

I got my degree from WGU, and I loved it.  It's perfect for someone who is working full time, has family obligations, etc.  My wife has been going (she had to take a break) to WGU, and my 25 year old daughter should be graduating this summer.  Hell, I'm even thinking about going back to get my MBA and see if I can land a part time teaching gig there to get a little extra income to boost my retirement. 

If you have any questions please feel free to shoot me a message.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Chewbacca Defense said:

I was 47 when I finally completed my Bachelor's Degree.  I don't know how old you are, but hopefully that's proof that you are never too old.  I was working 45-50 hour weeks and my youngest was still in high school while I was going t school. 

It made a huge difference in my life.  There are many career paths that do not require a degree, mine is not on one of them.  I advanced pretty high up where I was at because of my hard work, but I could not go anywhere else because I could not "check that box."   I finished my degree in 2019 (BS in Business Management), and fall 2020 I found out I was going to get laid off.  Yeah, I was a little concerned, but nothing like the stress I felt during previous layoffs when I didn't have that degree.

I got my degree from WGU, and I loved it.  It's perfect for someone who is working full time, has family obligations, etc.  My wife has been going (she had to take a break) to WGU, and my 25 year old daughter should be graduating this summer.  Hell, I'm even thinking about going back to get my MBA and see if I can land a part time teaching gig there to get a little extra income to boost my retirement. 

If you have any questions please feel free to shoot me a message.

Proud of u bro💯💯💯💯

High Five Friends GIF by IMDb TV

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Cloud said:

Has anyone here seen the movie “Don’t Look Up”? — this movie is a clear metaphor to climate change. My guess is that opinion of this movie is quite divided within this community/forums. 

Personally thought it was a great movie. 

I loved it, pretty sure our real life government would put profit at the top of the list over public safety if something like that was actually imminent to an extent. 

And the end credits scene 21000 years later was hilarious!!

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, jakerepp said:

Oh boy, is everyone just searching my name on Google now? There are plenty of mugshots of me you can laugh at.

Could be worse. When I Google my name, I get the former president of the greater London Dungeons and Dragons society, and some minister in eastern Canada who got in hot water for saying some pretty homophobic stuff.

(I can guarantee that neither are me, by the way).

• scream 1

1 minute ago, GHweatherChris said:

You all are not going to believe this....

Up to an inch of rain on the day!!! #blessed

Figured you would be at 2” by now…you’re not that far ahead of me so far today but by the end of this you should be. 

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

2 hours ago, jakerepp said:

Soooo....anyone have anything interesting happen lately? This can go to the banter thread I guess, but there ain't much going on here right now.

Both my parents have Omicron, but they're fine. The usual mild symptoms. Man alive, it's spreading like crazy. 

Cooper turns 3 months old on Thursday. He's hoping for more snow this year.

Anyone else seeing their investments get annihilated lately, particularly the last week or so?

Still awaiting the new 4Runner but while I wait putting together my first road trip with it!!!   Also looking at all the fun addons that I may need for the trip…hopefully storm chasing mid west!  
Regarding the market….double digit gains have been unreal these past few years and have definitely spoiled many of us!  So of course frustrating to watch large portions wiped away so quickly.  During the turbulent times in the market I tend to look away as I know in the long run it will prevail.  I will need to look more into stable funds as I age though.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, TacomaWaWx said:

Rain hasn’t been too heavy the last couple hours…heaviest stuff fell earlier this morning. 0.88” so far today and 1.07” storm total. 

1.06 for the day here….so glad I replaced my rain gauge component.  My measurement are now inline with those around me.  

• Like 1