PNW January 2022, Contact Info for Phil

The Blob

43 minutes ago, GHweatherChris said:

So, I have gotten over 18" of snow and over 13" of rain since Christmas, nuts.

HQM is 9 inches above normal for rainfall for January so far.   9 inches above normal in just 12 days.  

OLM is just about 7 inches above normal for the month.  

And side note... almost the entire western US is still in drought conditions.    Western WA is about the only place that is not in a drought.    And we can't be farther away from drought conditions.   Literally not possible.   They need a very dark green color for this map to indicate floating away.    😀

drought 1012.png

• Like 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

43 minutes ago, T-Town said:

Zillow says our place by Elk Run we sold in September 2017 is worth $330K more than we sold it for. Zillow estimates are typically high but even if you knock $100K off that price it’s a huge jump. Good time to sell and move to a place where home values haven’t gone crazy. 

House prices north of the border have generally gone crazy too. We got our assessment today and the average price in our region is up 38% in the past year

• Like 1
  • scream 1

25 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

HQM is 9 inches above normal for rainfall for January so far.   9 inches above normal in just 12 days.  

OLM is just about 7 inches above normal for the month.  

And side note... almost the entire western US is still in drought conditions.    Western WA is about the only place that is not in a drought.    And we can't be farther away from drought conditions.   Literally not possible.   They need a very dark green color for this map to indicate floating away.    😀

drought 1012.png

That map updates tomorrow too…won’t include the AR of the last couple days but should still be improvement. Map will probably look different for eastern WA. 

• Like 1

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

9 minutes ago, TacomaWaWx said:

That map updates tomorrow too…won’t include the AR of the last couple days but should still be improvement. Map will probably look different for eastern WA. 

The AR over the last couple days was focused squarely on western WA.    The map can't change for western WA.  😀

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

13 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

The AR over the last couple days was focused squarely on western WA.    The map can't change for western WA.  😀

Yeah but the huge amounts of snow in eastern WA might have a decent impact on the map. 

• Like 1

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

7 minutes ago, TacomaWaWx said:

Yeah but the huge amounts of snow in eastern WA might have a decent impact on the map. 

I know... I was just kidding.    Although Spokane is just .65 above normal for the month so probably not enough to be removed from drought conditions.   And Moses Lake is just +.05 for the month. 

3 hours ago, hawkstwelve said:

Seriously! Sioux Falls looks to get 6-10 inches on Friday. D*mn... Wish I could make it in time.

We are getting fairly close though. Finished up our kitchen remodel, new landscaping, and painting the inside of the house this weekend among other things. Meet with some realtors next week and hopefully list in a couple weeks. Wouldn't put us there until March but looks like that month is still pretty snowy for SF so crossing my fingers it all works out like that. 

Home inventory in Maple Valley is practically zero. There is literally one house for sale in the entire zip code. We've seen quite a few posts on community FB pages about people asking if anyone knows someone who's about to sell their house in the area. Lots of people still wanting to buy but just nothing out there. Hoping if we can get it up quickly enough we can get ourselves a good ol fashioned bidding war. 

Anyways... Longer OT than I planned so circling back to weather... Actually ended up being fairly dry here today with a high of 56. So that was kinda nice. 

Won't have to worry there. There are no mountains or ocean to screw it up.

Browsing through YouTube weather videos, y'all wanna send your favorites?

• scream 1

My Weather Station:  https://ambientweather.net/dashboard/b415ff35b2d13f00c899051028f04466 

Located in North Seattle, elevation ~150ft. Highest temperature ever recorded is 110.3, lowest is 14.5.

My Twitter

Euro and gfs are pretty close on totals for the front tomorrow…0.3” to 0.4”. Both pretty close on precip next week too overall about 1” of rain the next 10 days on both models here. Much drier than the first 2 weeks of the month if it verifies. Both are pretty mild too about as boring as it gets here in the winter. 

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

28 minutes ago, gusky said:

Browsing through YouTube weather videos, y'all wanna send your favorites?

This is one of my favorites for hurricane Michael.

• Like 1

Nuclear hurricane Dorian is a level above that though.

Sustained 185, gusts 230+.

https://youtu.be/Ar8Usv-Kwvs

• scream 1

21 minutes ago, Phil said:

Nuclear hurricane Dorian is a level above that though.

Sustained 185, gusts 230+.

https://youtu.be/Ar8Usv-Kwvs

Really makes you appreciate the sheer power of the atmosphere

• Like 1

My Weather Station:  https://ambientweather.net/dashboard/b415ff35b2d13f00c899051028f04466 

Located in North Seattle, elevation ~150ft. Highest temperature ever recorded is 110.3, lowest is 14.5.

My Twitter

5 hours ago, hawkstwelve said:

Seriously! Sioux Falls looks to get 6-10 inches on Friday. D*mn... Wish I could make it in time.

We are getting fairly close though. Finished up our kitchen remodel, new landscaping, and painting the inside of the house this weekend among other things. Meet with some realtors next week and hopefully list in a couple weeks. Wouldn't put us there until March but looks like that month is still pretty snowy for SF so crossing my fingers it all works out like that. 

Home inventory in Maple Valley is practically zero. There is literally one house for sale in the entire zip code. We've seen quite a few posts on community FB pages about people asking if anyone knows someone who's about to sell their house in the area. Lots of people still wanting to buy but just nothing out there. Hoping if we can get it up quickly enough we can get ourselves a good ol fashioned bidding war. 

Anyways... Longer OT than I planned so circling back to weather... Actually ended up being fairly dry here today with a high of 56. So that was kinda nice. 

Good luck on selling your house and moving! That's really something that only one house is for sale in Maple Valley.

Sioux Falls can get some pretty big snowstorms. I've seen them get snow into May before! Be prepared for large temperatures swings there in the spring and autumn.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

Those pictures from the east flank of the Cascades are out of this world! I've never seen those colors before in the sky like that. Thinking it was the combo of the deep snow cover and maybe the thickness of the clouds...

Pretty foggy in spots tonight. I was working in Issaquah and Sammamish and by 10 or so the fog really built up against Squak and Cougar Mountain. Had to go into the May Valley area and that was socked in pretty good. Not a lot of people out - in fact traveling down 900 then dropping off an order off of the May Valley Road and then proceeding towards the Coal Creek Parkway, I only passed one car.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

H...hello? Is this thing on?

Anyone got plans for the weekend?

Home Weather Station Stats for 2023

High - Satans Bunghole

Lowest High - Not sure

Low - I don't have the data

Sub 40 highs - Not quite

Sub-freezing highs - Try again

Lows below 25 - You're joking

Lows below 20 - No

2023 Snowfall - LOL

3 minutes ago, jakerepp said:

Can't really go anywhere with Omicron going crazy.    But its a great football weekend!

• Like 3

Thought about going to Astoria this weekend, but might just work in the yard. 

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

12 minutes ago, ShawniganLake said:

Might take the Christmas lights down if the snow ever melts

Making steady progress here on that front... might be able to get out and do some clean up this weekend.

20220113_074617.jpg

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, jakerepp said:

Dog training, house cleaning, football, kids. 

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

34 minutes ago, jakerepp said:

Might go snowshoeing up on Baker, I *should* be taking down Christmas lights, but my yard is still too soggy to be getting up on a ladder.

Currently 45 and raining up here.  Ended up with 1.05" yesterday and got up to about 58

• Like 1

National Blend of Models shows a total of 0.1" of rain for Seattle in the next 10 days, almost all of which falls this morning.

Seems likely Monday and Tuesday give us a bit more, but still. The next 7-10 days look impressively calm and dry. Wish they would be more inversiony.

qpf_acc.us_nw.png

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

41 minutes ago, ShawniganLake said:

Might take the Christmas lights down if the snow ever melts

What does your place look like right now?

Home Weather Station Stats for 2023

High - Satans Bunghole

Lowest High - Not sure

Low - I don't have the data

Sub 40 highs - Not quite

Sub-freezing highs - Try again

Lows below 25 - You're joking

Lows below 20 - No

2023 Snowfall - LOL

NOAA still relatively bullish on cooler ENSO persisting for most of 2022.

In this case I think they might be underestimating the potential for El Niño. We’ll see.

57A83E74-0E73-4BB8-8F5C-536929DFEE94.jpeg

• Snow 1

As things go quiet here, it will be interesting to see what shakes out in the southeast this weekend.  I've only seen a few model runs, but some are showing a rather nasty ice storm in the mountain regions of Georgia, South Carolina, and North Carolina.  One run was showing over 1" of ice along the NC/SC border...I don't see that verifying, but even 1/2 of that would be a big pile of suckage. 

Runs earlier in the week were showing 12"+ on the north side of Atlanta, that would be a sight to see.  The most I ever saw growing up there was about 6-8" I think it was the winter of '92 to '93.  I had an Isuzu Trooper, and I took a cousin and a few of her friends out into a pasture and pulled them around on a wake board.

• Like 4
  • Excited 1

8 minutes ago, Phil said:

NOAA still relatively bullish on cooler ENSO persisting for most of 2022.

In this case I think they might be underestimating the potential for El Niño. We’ll see.

57A83E74-0E73-4BB8-8F5C-536929DFEE94.jpeg

Next winter season will be a neutral year. 

• Popcorn 1
  • scream 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Just now, ShawniganLake said:

About 4” of snow left. Damp and foggy. 

A4CBC033-B177-4FC8-87BA-5B171B5575AC.thumb.jpeg.d8b48c11a9ef2bf52768dac13e631924.jpeg

Wow... you even have snow on the roads!     Amazingly slow melt up there.