PNW January 2022, Contact Info for Phil

The Blob

1 minute ago, gusky said:

https://t.co/w6lkNHwoUN

Is 36" in 24hrs a new record for leavenworth? I remember someone mentioned this before but forgot what the record was

Assuming that number goes down as official, then it would be.

https://wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliMAIN.pl?wa4572

Their current single day record is 28" on 12/27/1965.

• Like 2

Down to 41 with some light rain as that CZ shifts northward.

Home Weather Station Stats for 2023

High - Satans Bunghole

Lowest High - Not sure

Low - I don't have the data

Sub 40 highs - Not quite

Sub-freezing highs - Try again

Lows below 25 - You're joking

Lows below 20 - No

2023 Snowfall - LOL

11 minutes ago, gusky said:

This is insane - surprised it's not more of a national story (and being hyped up on weather.com). Really hope everyone over there is OK.

Thanks. Sounds like everyone is ok so far.  There was pretty good notice from the NWS and social media that this storm was going to be really large, so people were hopefully prepares.  And the community Facebook page has people looking for and finding help for things like plowing.

• Like 2

Wait! I still have a pile!

20220107_114751.jpg

• Excited 1
  • Snow 1

Home Weather Station Stats for 2023

High - Satans Bunghole

Lowest High - Not sure

Low - I don't have the data

Sub 40 highs - Not quite

Sub-freezing highs - Try again

Lows below 25 - You're joking

Lows below 20 - No

2023 Snowfall - LOL

9 minutes ago, gusky said:

https://t.co/w6lkNHwoUN

Is 36" in 24hrs a new record for leavenworth? I remember someone mentioned this before but forgot what the record was

It would be if verified by the NWS.  They did verify Wenatchee's new record.   Not sure if anyone was taking precise measurements to see exactly how much fell in a 24 hour period, since this storm lasted 36 hours or so.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

Well we had our worst heatwave and one of the hottest summers on record during a multi year Niña in 2021 so I guess all bets are off 

Also a niño doesn’t guarantee a warm winter in 2022/23 either. As proven by 2018/19.

A lot of variables in play during the cold season.

Interesting how the operational Euro and Euro control run have been diverging in the medium/long range lately. That has been uncommon this winter. Also much less agreement amongst the EPS vs GEFS.

The GEFS has historically been under-dispersed, so always careful with that, but I think the Euro/EPS might be legitimately be struggling with this upcoming pattern. The operational Euro in particular is an outlier.

• Like 1

It's just an intermission. Early and late February will be the talk of the town. 

• Like 1

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 16
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 3/30, 3/31, 4/2, 4/3, 4/8, 

Severe storms: 2

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

7 minutes ago, Phil said:

Also a niño doesn’t guarantee a warm winter in 2022/23 either. As proven by 2018/19.

A lot of variables in play during the cold season.

Precip also wasn't bad in 2019. Even though Klamath Falls has a semi-arid climate, KLMT didn't have a statistically dry month until June that year? April and May both had decent rainfall events. 

It just sucked that 2019 was the start of a trend towards drier Fall seasons. 

• Snow 1

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"

6 minutes ago, Timmy_Supercell said:

Precip also wasn't bad in 2019. Even though Klamath Falls has a semi-arid climate, KLMT didn't have a statistically dry month until June that year? April and May both had decent rainfall events. 

It just sucked that 2019 was the start of a trend towards drier Fall seasons. 

Good news is you’ll probably do better than K-Falls for snowfall in your new location (if ENSO changes).

Btw how much snow did u get yesterday? Ended up with 3” here (more like 4” on pre-existing snow cover). Already passed last winter’s paltry seasonal total with 10”.

• Storm 1

40 minutes ago, Brian_in_Leavenworth said:

The Leavenworth National fish hatchery reported that in a 36 hour time period, 56 inches of snow fell.  I work not far from there, and I honestly don't believe it. I think they probably meant 56 inches on the ground.  The winter sports club, which is nearby, reported 38 inches.  That I do believe.  Snow has stopped here.  

The city of Leavenworth has asked the National Gaurd to come in and help with snow removal.  

Not sure how they are getting here unless deployed from Spokane.  

Lots of residents here concerned about roofs.  Based on what someone knowledgeable said on Facebook, modern houses should be able to handle 4 feet of moderately wet snow.  We have 4 feet, but good news is that most of the snow is light and fluffy, so my house should be ok, but I really don't want anymore until we have had some melting.

Many streets are narrow, one car only streets.  There literally is no place to put the snow. It is high enough where my snowblower can't throw it over the top.  Our Safeway ran out of gas because the supply comes from Seattle.  Their groceries are running short too.  We have enough gas and food for awhile so no worries.  Also, will be hard for mail to get here.  I will really have to dig a lot this weekend so it can be delivered Monday.  They are not even trying now.

So here are a few pics.  First one is my house on Dec. 18th.  Notice the light pole in the yard.  Second is the same pole this morning.  Third is our house this morning.

IMG-20220107-WA0011.thumb.jpg.293948f68d1644d3579846b03fda7696.jpg

20220107_104103.thumb.jpg.a767cc37e137fa2a81446fe600d1fa7c.jpg

20220107_094436.thumb.jpg.e07ff4947e7e0b19427247fe1c1ac009.jpg

That is incredible dude!! Wish I was there.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Phil said:

Good news is you’ll probably do better than K-Falls for snowfall in your new location (if ENSO changes).

Btw how much snow did u get yesterday? Ended up with 3” here (more like 4” on pre-existing snow cover). Already passed last winter’s paltry seasonal total with 10”.

Meh, had 3.4" but it could have been heavier if it wanted to be. I would rank this first snow a little lower than the average storm in K-Falls. There was more in Catlettsburg and parts of WV had 8+.

Better than last winter probably? K-Falls averaged 3' feet and I had 63" in 2016-2017.

• Snow 1

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"

Down to 39 degrees in Everett at Noon. 7 degrees colder than at 7am this morning.

Wouldn't surprise me to see some snowflakes mix in later this afternoon/evening if the CZ slides through here. Airmass is cooling pretty quick.

925mb (1).gif

850mb.gif

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

52 minutes ago, Brian_in_Leavenworth said:

The Leavenworth National fish hatchery reported that in a 36 hour time period, 56 inches of snow fell.  I work not far from there, and I honestly don't believe it. I think they probably meant 56 inches on the ground.  The winter sports club, which is nearby, reported 38 inches.  That I do believe.  Snow has stopped here.  

The city of Leavenworth has asked the National Gaurd to come in and help with snow removal.  

Not sure how they are getting here unless deployed from Spokane.  

Lots of residents here concerned about roofs.  Based on what someone knowledgeable said on Facebook, modern houses should be able to handle 4 feet of moderately wet snow.  We have 4 feet, but good news is that most of the snow is light and fluffy, so my house should be ok, but I really don't want anymore until we have had some melting.

Many streets are narrow, one car only streets.  There literally is no place to put the snow. It is high enough where my snowblower can't throw it over the top.  Our Safeway ran out of gas because the supply comes from Seattle.  Their groceries are running short too.  We have enough gas and food for awhile so no worries.  Also, will be hard for mail to get here.  I will really have to dig a lot this weekend so it can be delivered Monday.  They are not even trying now.

So here are a few pics.  First one is my house on Dec. 18th.  Notice the light pole in the yard.  Second is the same pole this morning.  Third is our house this morning.

IMG-20220107-WA0011.thumb.jpg.293948f68d1644d3579846b03fda7696.jpg

20220107_104103.thumb.jpg.a767cc37e137fa2a81446fe600d1fa7c.jpg

20220107_094436.thumb.jpg.e07ff4947e7e0b19427247fe1c1ac009.jpg

Sounds like the situation we had in North Bend back in February 2019 with the national guard being called in and the stress of potential roof collapses and the feeling of being trapped by too much snow.  

Personally... I was relieved when the SW wind broke through last night to start a rapid melting process.     33 degree rain on top of feet of snow does not nothing but cause problems.     Our roof went from becoming a concern yesterday to being completely bare this morning.  

Hope everyone over there stays safe and avoids major issues.

• Like 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

14 minutes ago, Timmy_Supercell said:

Meh, had 3.4" but it could have been heavier if it wanted to be. I would rank this first snow a little lower than the average storm in K-Falls. There was more in Catlettsburg and parts of WV had 8+.

Better than last winter probably? K-Falls averaged 3' feet and I had 63" in 2016-2017.

Yeah gotta take the table scraps in La Niña. But what -ENSO taketh in snowfall it giveth in severe weather. ⛈ 

• Popcorn 1

Wye Lake flooding in Kitsap County via @NWSseattle replies on Twitter. Person claims nearly a foot of overflow since yesterday. 

wye lake.jpg

• scream 1

My Weather Station:  https://ambientweather.net/dashboard/b415ff35b2d13f00c899051028f04466 

Located in North Seattle, elevation ~150ft. Highest temperature ever recorded is 110.3, lowest is 14.5.

My Twitter

We were at 50F at midnight and now down to 46F with some showers.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

50 minutes ago, Phil said:

If we could’ve kept the La Niña it would almost certainly be a cool summer since QBO/tropical strat is favorable to keep in the 4CH/pseudo +TNH at bay (unlike 2021).

But now another warm to hot summer (or at least late summer/autumn) is *statistically* favored. But not a given, obviously.

You come up with new acronyms all the time or what? Have you used up all the alphabet yet? 

ABC, OFG, HJI, NOP, SOB, KHL…….. yes? 

• Excited 1
  • lol 2

10 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Sounds like the situation we had in North Bend back in February 2019 with the national guard being called in and the stress of potential roof collapses and the feeling of being trapped by too much snow.  

Personally... I was relieved when the SW wind broke through last night to start a rapid melting process.     33 degree rain on top of feet of snow does not nothing but cause problems.     Our roof went from becoming a concern yesterday to being completely bare this morning.  

Hope everyone over there stays safe and avoids major issues.

Thanks.  Yeah hoping for some warmer sunnier weather to melt and maybe evaporate some of the snow.  Temps may warm above freezing for awhile, but probably only for a few hours a day.  But no big snows on the horizon so that will help.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Brian_in_Leavenworth said:

It would be if verified by the NWS.  They did verify Wenatchee's new record.   Not sure if anyone was taking precise measurements to see exactly how much fell in a 24 hour period, since this storm lasted 36 hours or so.  

The mayor claimed 48” during the 24-36 hour period. That’s pretty incredible. 

• Like 1
  • scream 1

For those uploading to wunderground, is there any way to view historical data for the entire history of the station or can you only access the data starting when wunderground receives data?

My Weather Station:  https://ambientweather.net/dashboard/b415ff35b2d13f00c899051028f04466 

Located in North Seattle, elevation ~150ft. Highest temperature ever recorded is 110.3, lowest is 14.5.

My Twitter

8 minutes ago, Cloud said:

The mayor claimed 48” during the 24-36 hour period. That’s pretty incredible. 

I think that's somewhat accurate.  Thinking this storm was around 38, the Leavenworth Winter Sports Club keeps track.  Tuesday evening to Wednesday morning we had maybe 3 inches or so, and Sunday evening to Monday morning 9-10 inches.  

1 hour ago, MossMan said:

Hope Snowmizer was planning on staying at his cabin for the weekend, no way home at the moment. 

Not good, believe it or not we pretty much missed the entire storm up here. Since we arrived only 3 inches has fallen lol. There is 2 feet on the ground but it's the strangest thing ever. Never have saw the mountains block precip like this. When I got service today o couldn't believe what I'm seeing.  Any storm totals yet for Winthrop or cle elum?

• Like 2

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

5 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

Not good, believe it or not we pretty much missed the entire storm up here. Since we arrived only 3 inches has fallen lol. There is 2 feet on the ground but it's the strangest thing ever. Never have saw the mountains block precip like this. When I got service today o couldn't believe what I'm seeing.  Any storm totals yet for Winthrop or cle elum?

I believe Cle Elum got it pretty bad - don't remember totals. I'll look for that here

My Twitter

4 minutes ago, MossMan said:

Current snow pile situation. 

BA6B6FB6-8334-4BCB-B4F6-555CB6FED854.jpeg

9A7ED3A4-54AD-4852-9DED-F21219C813BD.jpeg

FCFE4E3E-CC38-4B5A-9343-29B1149BE90E.jpeg

2019 had a much longer staying power. I remembered the plowed parking lot at my workplace where it stayed until late March or so. Also mostly because we dealt with a different pattern after the storms then….. don’t believe we go straight into an AR pattern that pretty much wipe everything out south of Bellingham as we’ve just seen.