PNW January 2022, Contact Info for Phil

The Blob

2 hours ago, Christensen87 said:

This pretty much sums up the CFS for the next month 😭 It’s so depressing not having any model eye candy in the works. Here’s to hoping for another great Feb. Happy Friday everyone!

302452C0-2EF2-4028-AEA4-9DF0E2B76333.jpeg

The -PNA/SE-Ridge pattern will return in a major way late this month or early in February.

Hit the snooze button for the next 3 weeks.

• Like 3
  • Excited 2
  • Popcorn 1

51 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

Did I see that somebody is saying the La Nina is over or ending.  There is so much stuff to go through on here I might have misunderstood something.  At any rate there is no imminent end to the Nina that I can see this year.  In fact I would have expected some warming of the ENSO regions to begin by now if a warm event was going to happen this year.

La Niña is unlikely to continue next year.

For 2023 I’d put odds at:

El Niño: 60%
Neutral: 35%
La Niña: 5%

• Sad 2
  • Sick 1

The long duration IPWP WWB event/looping RMMs in the WPAC denotes the demise of La Niña.

Of course it will be with us for several months still. And its echoes may be felt until mid/late summer.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, TT-SEA said:

Good riddance indeed.    Enough precipitation in any form... just want some drier weather at this point.  

You live in the wrong climate for that, bruh.

• Like 2
  • Popcorn 2

11 minutes ago, Phil said:

You live in the wrong climate for that, bruh.

Trolling again?  ;)

Yes... it is normally wet here.   But its been ridiculously wet over the last 90 days compared to normal for this area.   Par for the course for a Nina.     It is not unreasonable to expect generally drier weather for some period at this point... also climo for this area after an extremely wet period.  👍

• Popcorn 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Just heard on KIRO that 38 avalanches have occurred from the pass on west onto 90, along with many trees.

• Like 1

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

1 hour ago, Phishy Wx said:

recs to remove a 1' tall ice berm from the city plow that is literally as thick as concrete?  my blower will not even touch it. too solid to even shovel.   I don't have a plow blade

Are you talking about ice build up on the blade itself? You could try taking a torch to the back of the blade and heating the steel.

12 minutes ago, andrewr said:

Are you talking about ice build up on the blade itself? You could try taking a torch to the back of the blade and heating the steel.

I think he’s talking about the wall of re-frozen slush at the end of a driveway after the road was plowed.

Should use a splitting maul or axe. I’ve had to do that a few times, for the exact same reason. 😂

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Phishy Wx said:

recs to remove a 1' tall ice berm from the city plow that is literally as thick as concrete?  my blower will not even touch it. too solid to even shovel.   I don't have a plow blade

I have one that is a couple of inches deep, like a solid ice curb.  Snowblower has a hard time crossing over it when I cross over it to get on the street to turn it around.   I have to lift up on it to get it over. Someone suggested an ice pick, though I don't own one.  

6 minutes ago, tjb723 said:

Still absolutely dumping snow here right now. Roads/driveway/car were all clear and bare this afternoon, just started to see the lawn again in spots and then this.

Don't know whether I feel lucky or not at this point. 😆

1.7.22.snow.jpeg

Its really cool having people in Sultan and Gold Bar on here now.     I often watch crazy c-zones on the radar and wonder what the conditions are like in that area.   Its basically a northern version of North Bend.  😀

• Like 4

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

44 minutes ago, Phil said:

The long duration IPWP WWB event/looping RMMs in the WPAC denotes the demise of La Niña.

Of course it will be with us for several months still. And its echoes may be felt until mid/late summer.

Hopefully the Niña forcing at least lasts deep enough into the spring so we can break the warm/dry spring cycle of the last several years 

• Like 2

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

4 hours ago, MossMan said:

No split flow dullness this season so far. 

Going out with a bang before next winter’s El Niño split flow hell.

#DontShootTheMessenger 😶😂

• scream 1
  • Sick 1
  • Troll 1

4 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Its really cool having people in Sultan and Gold Bar on here now.     I often watch crazy c-zones on the radar and wonder what the conditions are like in that area.   Its basically a northern version of North Bend.  😀

Its super helpful for me because I have to take HWY2 somewhat often, and no one ever seems to report anything between Monroe and the pass anywhere else. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

Hopefully the Niña forcing at least lasts deep enough into the spring so we can break the warm/dry spring cycle of the last several years 

Should see La Niña influence through the spring at least.

But unless it’s a slow demise (of the ET response(s)) like 1957, and/or an east-based +ENSO at inception, that western ridge/4CH will probably rise from the grave during mid/late summer.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Popcorn 1

34 minutes ago, Geos said:

Just heard on KIRO that 38 avalanches have occurred from the pass on west onto 90, along with many trees.

They were natural as well! gravity still works as it should.  I wonder how many folks got trapped in the forest service backroads during this event and still there…..ugh. Scary stuff! 

3 minutes ago, Phil said:

Going out with a bang before next winter’s El Niño split flow hell.

#DontShootTheMessenger 😶😂

Sick Paramount Network GIF by Yellowstone

• lol 1
  • Sick 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

29 minutes ago, komodo said:

That second link is awesome, thanks for sharing! I always love coming across a great weather resource such as this. Monty Python Movie GIF

My Weather Station:  https://ambientweather.net/dashboard/b415ff35b2d13f00c899051028f04466 

Located in North Seattle, elevation ~150ft. Highest temperature ever recorded is 110.3, lowest is 14.5.

My Twitter

35 minutes ago, Phil said:

I think he’s talking about the wall of re-frozen slush at the end of a driveway after the road was plowed.

Should use a splitting maul or axe. I’ve had to do that a few times, for the exact same reason. 😂

Plow?  What’s a plow?  38” of snow this winter and our road has not been plowed once.  It’s a bit rough at the moment. It’s 29F and the 6”+ of slush is freezing up. 😂 

• Like 3
  • scream 1

Sorry for the poor quality of the pictures.  I was watching Wenatchee's local news channel (bet y'all didn't know they had one) and they had these graphics on the screen.  Near record 24hr snowfall in Wenatchee.  Leavenworth got 33''!  The second image shows the record snowfalls for Wenatchee.  

2022-01-07 11.50.37.jpg

2022-01-07 11.51.10.jpg

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, KingstonWX said:

Is your goal to gain a professional education or just your own personal knowledge and understanding?

Just my own knowledge. I'll try to go to college before professional training.

• Like 1

My Weather Station:  https://ambientweather.net/dashboard/b415ff35b2d13f00c899051028f04466 

Located in North Seattle, elevation ~150ft. Highest temperature ever recorded is 110.3, lowest is 14.5.

My Twitter

The enhanced trades associated with La Niña have been largely absent for 2 weeks, and likely won’t be returning this month.

27773F93-9169-4F33-B4B3-1C31EEB71618.thumb.png.845f880e8ccc72985646cc4f313fc303.png

This breakdown in the “enhanced state” of atmospheric circulation will allow the piled up water in the IPWP to slosh back eastward as an OKW.

The consequences won’t be readily apparent in the short term, but in the long term it will trigger the demise of the La Niña.

The tropics will return to a more “La Niña” like state next month, but it will likely be too little, too late. Once the ocean starts to respond like this, it’s difficult to stop.

• Popcorn 1
  • Sick 1

26 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

I grew up in the foothills outside Monroe and we got some awesome action going on sometimes. Good combo of elevation, CZs, and distance from civilization. If I had known about this forum I would've been all over it back then. 

• Like 2

Home Weather Station Stats for 2023

High - Satans Bunghole

Lowest High - Not sure

Low - I don't have the data

Sub 40 highs - Not quite

Sub-freezing highs - Try again

Lows below 25 - You're joking

Lows below 20 - No

2023 Snowfall - LOL

9 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

There's been a shift in weather patterns causing these extreme events in the northwest.  I have a feeling we're going to be seeing more of this in the future.  

Yeah, it always feels that way. My brain kinda went there after the 2013/14 - 2015/16 period, when we were getting hammered with cold/snow each winter, for long stretches.

But alas, like all good things, it came to an end. :(  

2 hours ago, TT-SEA said:

Yeah... not saying anything about next winter.   Its probably pretty irrelevant to our chances.

I do think if ENSO stays cold this year we have a very good chance of a cold year overall.  Probably a cool summer as well which we are way overdue for.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

1 hour ago, Geos said:

That house on the Magnolia bluff has collapsed. Weight of the land push it over and pancaked it.

Like I say....there is always a price to pay here...at least most of the times we get a good round of winter weather.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9